Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Primarchs

Sanctioned Psyker

Default Lost Primarchs

I had been looking over the Wiki about the Lost Primarchs: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Primarchs

And I had a few ideas:

What if, these two, had been created imperfectly -they had (major) "Birth Defects" - something horrible perhaps. While they were still Primarchs and had such wonderful potential - they were imperfect in some way.

What does everyone else suspect?

Love to hear your thoughts and Theories =D

While interesting I think the problem with the defect theory is that Sanguinius was also a mutant with his wings and he is supposedly the most beloved of the Primarchs. Still it's an interesting theory. Though I do find one of WH40k's main problems is the story goes nowhere ever. Fluff gets updated or rewritten but the actual story is basically frozen with no major events ever happening. While I'm not saying I could do the job if I was a writer there I would probably be trying to move the story forward with the Primarchs or through having people start actually trying to think. Still my problem is I haven't read all of the fluff, codexs or books so I don't know all of the events that have happened. I have an idea for a chapter though I should get around to writing that whole story down at some point.

Astropath

Quote Originally Posted by 80Maxwell08 View Post
    While interesting I think the problem with the defect theory is that Sanguinius was also a mutant with his wings and he is supposedly the most beloved of the Primarchs. Still it's an interesting theory. Though I do find one of WH40k's main problems is the story goes nowhere ever. Fluff gets updated or rewritten but the actual story is basically frozen with no major events ever happening. While I'm not saying I could do the job if I was a writer there I would probably be trying to move the story forward with the Primarchs or through having people start actually trying to think. Still my problem is I haven't read all of the fluff, codexs or books so I don't know all of the events that have happened. I have an idea for a chapter though I should get around to writing that whole story down at some point.
    But the background for 40k isn't a story, it's a setting. The whole point of the 40k universe is that it is constantly at '30 seconds to midnight' and that the Imperium is probably less than a thousand years from collapsing. Stories occur within the setting, but the setting doesn't advance at all.

The same can be said for the lost primarchs. I don't think they will ever do anything than vaguely hint at them, because no matter what they did, it wouldn't be as cool as the hype. It's like - what is scarier; seeing the monster or hearing it? I don't know if you've seen 'Saving Private Ryan', but there is a bit where they are waiting in a town for the Germans to arrive and they hear the roar of the tanks in the distance. They hear the roar for a good 3 minutes of screen time, and the tension in that scene is just incredible. Once the tank arrives and there is all the shooting, of course it is still tense, but that roar gave me butterflies in a way that nothing else did - it is the suggestion of something monstrous, something deadly. So no, I don't think there will ever be a piece of GW cannon that goes "this is what happened to the two lost legions".
    Current project: Word Bearers
    88/183 infantry painted (48%)
    2/8 vehicles painted (25%)

On the workbench: Chaos Lord, Vindicator and Bestigors

My works in progress :)

Well that just hightlights the problem. With nothing happening there is no tension in anything so every story is worthless and every battle meaningless. Other universes have actual stories but nothing happens here. It leaves everything totally meaningless. Even the retconning is just pointless delaying of absolutely nothing. They just keep hinting that something will happen but nothing ever will. There is no point in being invested in anything whatsoever.

That's Mister Pig to you! (Snort!)

@ 80Maxwell08 - if you don't like it, go and play in another universe!

Astropath

Well, that's just one way of looking at things.

Take, for instance, the Gaunts Ghosts books. Yes, nothing that happens in those books will change the big picture of the 40k universe, but they are absolutely not meaningless. You care about the individuals precisely because they don't matter in the grand scheme of things. No matter whether Gaunt lives or dies, the 40k universe will continue, so the author could kill him off. I don't know if you have read the books, but the impact of the deaths of *spoiler*, *spoiler* and *spoiler* is neither worthless nor meaningless. Yes, the setting won't change, but that setting gives the stories so much room for tension.

I'm not trolling I like the universe but I hate how nothing happens whatsoever no matter how much they write about how everything is going to happen. Like how in the Space Marine's codex they hint at Gulliman coming back saying some people are seeing his wounds slowly heal. They there's the plotline of how the tyranid might be fleeing something that's way more powerful then them while the tyranids are one of the largest forces in existence with absolutely massive tyranid who are absurdly large. Everything is written like massive events will happen but they never go to anything. That is my problem.

Astropath

Look at it in another way: all these things are potential threads for the players to pick up and play with - that's the point of them. In the more recent codices, there is a timeline with loads of 'historical' battles and events relating to that army, they have just enough details to let you 'play' them or use them as inspiration for the fluff of your army, but there is a lot of free reign for you to be creative with it.

Take for instance the force the Tyranids have been hinting at fleeing from. You and your friends could design an army list for these creatures and could have a really cool set of games. Or for instance with Guilliman and his wounds - you could write a whole campaign based on his return and you would get to decide the 'history' of that.

If all those threads were neatly tied up then there would be no room to play with them and make them your own. 40k is less of a sculpture and more of a sandbox.

Ok I'm not going to go off topic anymore here since I've already driven it enough off topic. Instead I will start my own topic about a hypothetical situation in how they might manage it. I admit I don't like how I've done it already but I am just throwing a rough draft here trying to show my viewpoint on this. So sorry for driving this off topic and like I said in my original post it's an interesting idea though I still think Sanguinius kinda nullifies it.

Meteorologicus Bigmanterrificus

If I recall correctly, all of the Primarches and their Legions were re-united during the Great Crusade, so the Primarches were not lost at that stage, however, they're not mentioned in the books of the Horus Heresy (although I stopped reading them they were so bad) and have always simply been recorded as deleted from records in the rule books and codices.

In my opinion the most likely answer is that they were wiped out to a (super)man at some point, but my preferred idea is that they were despatched on some kind of Great Crusade 1.1 by The Emperor and are still rampaging their way across the universe somewhere. Perhaps one of them found some super allies or committed heresy and combined the geneseed with another race and are what the Tyranids are fleeing from, perhaps there is a legion in the Ghost Stars, the issue is that they won't be in hiding somewhere inside the Imperium.

However, I think we'd do better to see some kind of rules for detachments of these unknown space marine legions and not someone attempting to create the legion of supermen (or movie marines) in a hall-fashioned way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast