The Never Ending Story
    The Schwarzeschloss, Sileby, Leicestershire
    Blog Entries

Default Tervigon & Tyrannofex

Ok, has anyone A: Had the stones to try and convert models for either of these two beasties and B: Used them much?

Are they any good, are they worth using, and more importantly, spending money on buying suitable models to convert them from, like a Carnifex?

Doesnt like Red, or Grey, or Fun.
    Blog Entries

Tervigon get used a fair bit, just use arnifex proxies at my group, no one really minds. Usuallu one a HQ and another as Troops, take with two more squads of Gants and you should be fine for capping objectives. As for thr Tervigon, really not worth the points. The 2+ is nice but you really can spend the points on much better things.

Admin / conversion addict
    A huge pile of (social and economic) psychology books and papers

I rather like Akaiyou's overview of the Tyrannofex (link to full post):

HEAVY SUPPORT

TYRANNOFEX

Overview
    - I found that this unit was a hit or miss. Much like it's ballistic skill it could go either way in terms of usefulness during a game. It simply doesnt do enough in combat, it's slow and it's ranged weaponry leaves something to be desired. It's highlight seems to be it's defense.

PROS
    • Extremely durable
    • Longest ranged anti-vehicle we can get

CONS
    • BS 3 and not enough shoots
    • Other ranged weaponry has crap range
    • Doesn't pack enough punch for the price tag
    • Sucks as much as a Tervigon in close combat

Options
    Ranged

Fleshborer Hive - Looks amazing on paper, but has very little use on the battlefield. It's a glorified batch of 20 gaunts worth of shooting. When was the last time 20 gaunts shooting won you a game? Horrible upgrade.

Rupture Cannon - Probably it's best weapon for it's massive range and strength by Nid standards. This our ranged can-opener. But comes with a hefty price.

Acid Spray - Comes standard and is useful, it would be much better if the Tyrannofex was actually good in combat. However you must consider that running up close enough to use this flamer is no easy task. This makes it a major downside however Acid Spray is much better than Fleshborerhive.

Stinger Salvo - Sucks, only 4 shots hitting 50% of the time at S5 makes this a very poor choice.

Cluster Spines - Much better than Stinger Salvo since it's not handicapped by the ballistic skill and can hit many enemies at a time, works great at clearing crowds of low T, poor armour infantry.

Optional
    Thorax Weapons - They all compliment acid spray really well and Fleshborer Hive, but lose value paired with Rupture Cannon.
    - Grubs version - Good strength means it works really well paired with Acid Spray as they will normally do good against same targets.
    - Beetles version - Avoid it, the rending seems nice but low strength and low chance to actually rend makes it pointless.
    - Larvae version - Great choice, you most likely wont be flaming vehicles anyway, so it best with Acid Spray since you'll wound most targets on 2s with both.

Biomorphs
    Regeneration - Great choice for any MC with 6 wounds, this is a general rule that applies to all of them. Gives the most bang for the buck.
    Adrenal Glands - A bit pointless the bonuses you get from Furious Charge won't make much of a difference against most targets. S7 and I2 is only useful if you are assaulting vehicles up close or if u want to try and nail that power first before it hits.
    Toxin Sacs - Worst choice possible, actually makes the Tyrannofex worst. There aren't enough T7+ enemies in the game to make TS worth while for a Tyrannofex.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

As for building the stuff I plan to make both at some point, I'd just wish, for gaming purposes, that GW would have made it clear what size base they should be one. For me it makes perfect sense they should both be on a Trygon-sized base, just look at the art and that they're suppossed to do. They're mere steps away from being the size of hierodules etc. Rather annoys me to see people using carni-sized bases, though the reduced sized does make the Tyrannofex a more justifiable choice

The nearly always available admin - PM me. Astro Articles, my Log and

Admin / conversion addict
    A huge pile of (social and economic) psychology books and papers

And here are some of the coolest conversions I've seen to far. Recently had some unfortunate deletion, so for most of them I do not know who originally made them sadly.

Tervigon:

Tyrannofex:

And yes, I know the last one is ment to be an Exocrine, but I still think it work great as a Tyrannofex!

The nearly always available admin - PM me. Astro Articles, my Log and

Doesnt like Red, or Grey, or Fun.
    Blog Entries

It's really hard to make a Tervigon look good when starting with the pregnant carnifex look. But some of those have seemed to have pulled it off rather well.