Astropath

Default terraforming neptune

at school, i'm doing a project about how we could settle different planets. and i just want to ask, anyone got knowledge or links on what must happen?
    io rely need answers in today, as the project is for tommorow. ta.
    Brahdmaddra! Trjoda!

Contributor General
    Blog Entries
    The Omnissiah Guides it's faithful to knowlegde most holy!!
    Steam Profile - I Play Team Fortress 2 Regularly

not commenting often but ever watching

Master of Links
    Blog Entries

Any planet, or neptune in particular?
    You'll be hardpressed to settle on a gas planet. Skip 'em.
    What kind of settling, in a network of buildings or like how we live on Earth currently?

EDIT- Fire Harte's links are good enough. Be sure to go to the links at the bottom of the Wikipedia page if you need to use legit sources for a bibliography.

Astropath

my group is given specifically neptune. apparently it has a solid mantle, and is rather warm.
    Brahdmaddra! Trjoda!

Master of Links
    Blog Entries

Ouch. That's a lot harder. The problem with Neptune is the varying temperatures. You can't have it too hot or all your water boils away, and proteins unravel. Since Neptune is so far from the Sun, you won't be receiving sufficient solar light to grow plants which help create an oxygen based atmosphere. Is the mantle solid, is it hot? What would the gravity be like on the "surface" of Neptune in relation to Earth's?

'French Fry'
    Blog Entries

Okay, Neptune is tricky.

First of all, it's a Gas Giant. 19 times smaller than Jupiter, but gas giant nonetheless. It is also cold, very, very cold, and it's atmosphere is home to the most horrifying hurricanes of the entire solar system.

Neptune has a gas atmosphere, and a mantle. Here comes another problem. The mantle is liquid, and it's hot (2000 to 5000K). It exists, in fact, only because the atmospheric pressure reaches so formidable levels that methane gas solidifies into methane ice. Human life is impossible on the mantle.
    Deep down, there is an earth-sized rock and ice core. It is cold, with no molten rocks.

Life on Neptune is impossible. Terraforming Neptune is, imho, impossible. It's just...too extreme, too different from the Earth. A viable solution would perhaps then be either:

1) Orbital gas mining stations (Neptune is made of gases in which mankind has the highest level of interest)
    2) Go terraform Triton, Neptunes'smain (and by many aspects, very odd) satellite. It is roughly an Earth-sized Moon, so things should be easier down there.

Sors salutis/ Et virtutis/ Michi nunc contraria
    Est affectus/ Et defectus/ Semper in angaria
    Hac in hora/ Sine mora/ Corde pulsum Tangite
    Quod per sortem/ Sternit fortem/ Mecum omnes plangite!

Mod Draftee
    Blog Entries

Terraforming Neptune? That's crazy. You would need several things that are (currently) impossible.

1. Something akin to the philosopher's stone to convert one base element into another.
    2. Anti-gravity.
    3. Full all out weather control.
    4. Robots that can work for thousands of years without complaint.
    Now, take a deep breath. Repeat after me "This is a miniature wargame forum. This place is only as good as I make it. The decision is mine. It does not control my destiny. It does not effect my paycheck. It does not make my mother love me any less. It is a fun place where I can talk to others that feel the way I do."

Cobblestone Chaos: My mirror Mordheim blog.

Adeptus Astronomica

well basically all the inner planets ( earth, mars, venus, and mercury) have solid ground

if you were to step through any outer planets ( neptune, E.T.C) you will just fall right through
    outer planets are all made of gasses
    imperial guard

-_-

Not a Cat

Why Neptune? =/
    Mars all the way man!

Adeptus Astronomica

darn and i though i was given all the bad topics for projects
    high five bro
    imperial guard

-_-