PDA

View Full Version : Undercoat, sprayed or painted?

RoVaDo
03-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone, I was wondering.
Do you guys use a spray for undercoating,
or do you paint?

And why do you prefer the one over the other?

Discuss! :)

Captain Castus
03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Spray definately... Much quicker and easier and 'sticks' to the model wthout any fuss... With care it gives an even coat and a great finish to work on...

Sometimes the nooks and crannies have to be touched up by hand... So on some small models with lots of 'holes' sometimes by hand works out quicker/easier anyway...

CC

Starky
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Spray for me.

It is only far quicker and easier but it also primes the model so other paints stick to it better. Spraying gives a more uniform coat and as long as you are semi- competent you get a very even coat with good coverage.

Starky

Arkaedin
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Spray prime for the reasons mentioned above :D

The Vulture
03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Spray prime for the reasons mentioned above :D

Same here as well.... :)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Spray paint for me. Then I use chaos black as a first basecoat to fill in any areas that are missed.

Farskit
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Paint for me, always. I have a strong dislike for primers. I don't usually paint large batches of models so I can't shrug off the idea that I'm wasting half the primer bottle. Plus priming imposes safety conditions (like not doing it inside a closed room) that I just can't follow, because I don't have enough room of my window frame (and it's way too precarious), and I can't go do it in the hallway!

Paint. I like it so much better. Plus it makes me feel like I give more attention to the model. And as I never paint more than five models in a row, priming isn't very long. And it is always faster to paint and let the paint dry rather than to spray and wait for the sprayed primer to dry...

LAZtheinfamous
04-01-2009, 12:21 AM
While I have used standard paint as an undercoat, it doesn't work very well if you are going to be gaming with the models. It seems that standard paint as a basecoat is more likely to chip or flake. That could just be my experience. Now I typically use the GW chaos black spray, which I like b/c it doesn't have that 'spray painty' smell. However in the past (when I was young and broke), I used a flat grey auto spray paint. Usually about $2 and works just as well on plastic and metal minis. So that's something you might want to look into, if cost is an issue.

Hephesto
04-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Paint for me, I rarely paint anything in large numbers so I loose little extra time. I'm not a big fan of sprays, too many things that can and have gone wrong. An added advantage is that be painting an undecoat I already get a real feel for the mini's texture, while will allow me to plan out painting layers while I undercoat.

Consadine
04-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Spray paint when the weather is nice. Most of my infantry are fuzzy because of improper conditions for using spray paint. The convenience, however, of using spray primer on a unit/squad/vehicle is the amount of models you can have prepped to paint "for real" in less time.

tl;dr spray paint, time saver

Arkaedin
04-01-2009, 01:25 AM
However in the past (when I was young and broke), I used a flat grey auto spray paint. Usually about $2 and works just as well on plastic and metal minis. So that's something you might want to look into, if cost is an issue.

I actually use Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Matte Black and Matte White Primers. Cost me about $4 a pop at Valu (don't actually know if that store is anywhere else?) and is far superior, in my opinion, to GWs sprays. VERY flat finish too, which is always good :D

Tallarn
04-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Krylon ultra flat black, sold everywhere.

Lion El'Jonson
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Spray for me.
I use "The Army Painter" range of coloured primers and on some of my figures i use their varnish too.

if any one is interested http://www.thearmypainter.com/index.php

gamer123789
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
spray all the way

its a lot easier to prime like 30 guardsmen with spray then just painting it

tarantulus
04-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I would love to basecoat by hand but I find the paint doesn't stick to the model like primer does

gamer123789
04-01-2009, 05:42 PM
ya primer rocks
WOOT!!WOOT!!

Kishvier
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I used Chaos Black primer for ages, but with the new price increase I'm looking for a new kind of spray primer...

kharn the betrayer
04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Spray for me definatly, the taste is devine and goes well with fish.....

Eh what no it hasn't effected my brain....see my brain is still here in this jar.....

All joking aside I generally use spray undercoat from a tin, makes it much quicker when I batch paint models.

Sometimes though you have to touch up the parts that you have missed, so I guess like a lot of people here I use both, brush and spray....

Now just stand still you lot need another coat.....

Kishvier
04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Now just stand still you lot need another coat.....

NO! NEVER!!!:D

Novas
10-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I used to use paint but found than it wasn't as smooth as the primer. Spraying is also far quicker and you dont have to buy loadsa paint to paint an army.

gamer123789
12-01-2009, 09:58 PM
1 main problem I have with Gw Primers is that It sticks like For example one day i was priming my lemanruss and when it dried the battle cannon, the heavy bolters, the lascannon were all stuck and like glued together. also i couldnt move the cannon either.

Other than that its all good

Kishvier
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah, my rhino hatchs get stuck too, just gently toggle around with them and they come loose.

LAZtheinfamous
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Need to move them while the paint is still wet, and you're fine.

Kishvier
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Yea, that too, though you have to be careful not to smudge the paint then.

gamer123789
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
thanks but it will be sort of hard to keep on moving a bunch of cannons at once

but its cool

LAZtheinfamous
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Nah, just swivel it back and forth a few times, that way any paint that is in the join gets scrapped away before it dries. Then even if it does dry in place, it isn't as hard to crack them out of freeze.

gamer123789
12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
its pretty hard to remove stuff that stick to the ( because i use a box) and it stick to the box and thats just annoying

LAZtheinfamous
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
its pretty hard to remove stuff that stick to the ( because i use a box) and it stick to the box and thats just annoying

What? I'm sorry but I can't picture what you're saying. Could you re-explain?

gamer123789
13-01-2009, 12:04 AM
itl like you put your models in a box and then you spary on the primer
when you try to take the models out its stuck to the box

LAZtheinfamous
13-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Ah-ha! I see your problem. See when you leave a model in the same place that you prime it, the primer that doesn't hit the model dries as well. So what you want to do is (carefully) move it before it dries. I actually have a little shelf on top of my prime area where the primer never hits. Moving them there, only the primer on the model is drying. Much less chance of sticking.

gamer123789
13-01-2009, 12:30 AM
thanks for all the help LAZ
ya cuz got my heavyweapon squad stuck to the box
IMPOSSIBLE to take off
ill try your ideas the next time I prime :)

LAZtheinfamous
13-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Some extra hints for you then.

1. If they do get stuck, take a long box cutter and slide it under. Use one of those ones with the long clicking blade.
2. In your drying area, put down a fine layer of talc, baking powder, or flour. That way when the bottom dries, the only thing it sticks to is the loose dust. If you put it thin enough, it won't puff up onto the model. If unsure, check some cooking guides for how to flour a cookie sheet. Granted, its unorthodox, but it works.

gamer123789
13-01-2009, 02:45 AM
amesome ill try it out :)

Marticus
13-01-2009, 09:30 AM
i always spray white, must be a hang up from the bright days of gw ;)

Bytemeh2
13-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Another solution for the sticky model problem:

When I prime a squad I always put down strips of scotch or masking tape on the box I'm using, sticky side up. I go the whole length of the box and leave some excess on the end of the box..

I then place each model right on the tape, usually the whole base fits, but sometimes a little doesn't, but that's ok. The tape helps keep the models in place so they won't tip over while you prime (metals will though unless you use some stronger tape, so be careful). Then, when its dry, grab the bit of tape at the end of the box and start pulling off the strip. Each model comes off nice and smooth with little to no paint sticking them to the box. They come right off the tape too, no problem.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
13-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I just forcefully rip them off or do the knife slide method.

I also don't care if I get primer on my hands. :D

gamer123789
13-01-2009, 07:11 PM
same
i come back in with my hands all black

thanks for solutions bytemeh
ill try them out