PDA

View Full Version : Hephesto's Log

Pages : [1] 2

Hephesto
30-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Yes, that's right boys and girls. I'm actually going to try and build a complete army, who would have ever imagined!

So I'm going back memorylane with one of my old favorite Space Marine armies - The Relictors. Now why them and why another power-armoured force you ask? Well first of I'm a sucker for any kind of power armour, nothing says 40K like standing in the middle of a warzone with 3 guys armoured in nigh indestructable armour while firing of mini-nukes. In addition I have accumulated loads of bits over the years, dare I say almost decades. So I have quite a bit of experience working with Space Marines.

As for why Relictors, besides that they have a touch of 'bad' about them they were also one of my old armies. Back in my gaming days, when I still had a small group of mini-wielding, nutter friends they were my principle fighting force. Though at times they did a whole lott, but not fight...had a major loosing streak with them at one point. Now, roughly 7-8 years later I'm revisiting them, bringing with me some new modelling tricks and slightly improved painting skilled. As such I hope to really do them and my memories of the good old days proud.

So from after the 8th (exams end then) you can expect a steady stream of updates on what will be conversion, rather than gaming-based army. So loads of wacky, yet cool conversion. All tied together by what I hope will be a decent piece of fiction spanning different chapters, in which all characters and non-Space Marine elements of the army will be dealt with in depth.

As a quick preview, here's the terminator I did for Castus' painting competition. He's the guy that got me started on this whole mess again, so any outbursts of insanity in this log are completely his fault ;)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/contest1.jpg

For those of you who want a bit more info on he Relictors I am happy to give a short sum up of the official fluff:

The Relictors (originally know as Fire Claws) were part of the Astartes Praeses, a series of chapters founded to reinforce other Imperial forces around the Eye of Terror. The chapter performed pretty regulary until they came across a derelict space hulk and the Tzeentch champion the Excruciator. In a desperate attempt to defeat this foe Librarian Decario used the champion's fallen daemon weapon and used it to slay the monstrosity.

Inquisitor Demarche, who had accompanied the strike force into the space hulk, warned against using a weapon of such terrible power. Only ones like him would be able to control such power, but even then the risks were insane. Together with Decario the inquisitor managed to convince the chapter master that instead of fearing this dreadful weapon, it should be seem for what it was - a weapon that could be turned against the forces of chaos. And so began the chapter's history of gathering chaos icons and relic for study and use against chaos'most powerful servants.

The inquistion soon found out about these activities, resulting in the execution of Demarche and a punetative crusade for the entire chapter to Armageddon. There they were placed in the area surrounding Angron's monolith, a relic from the first Armageddon war. During this period the chapter was very reluctant to cooperate with other Imperial forces and frequently disappeared into the jungle areas surrounding the monolith.

Then eventually the chapter's librarian had a vision of a lidless eye weeping blood, which led to the entire chapter withdrawing from the conflict. The entire force travelled towards the Eye of Terror, destroying the Inquisiton-guarded Diamedes Archive on Fremas while on route. A total of 6 space marines breached the Imperial Guard defences, gained access to the archive and ffound some great relic hidden deep within the Archive.

This combined with their actions during the Armageddon war led to the excommunication, and near destruction at the hands of inquisitor Cyarro and the Grey Knight. The scant 200 Relictors that survived fled into the Eye of Terror, for there even the Inquisition would not persue them directly.

This is where I pick up the story, well to be more exact, it will pick up in the middle of the battle against the Grey Knight over the blasted remains of the Diamedes Archive on Fremas. But more on that as the weeks progres ;)

Arkaedin
31-12-2008, 04:16 AM
Oh no! It's the end of the world! Heph has a new log! :p

I'll be keeping an eye on this as it progresses ;)

Tallarn
31-12-2008, 04:44 AM
I will with-hold any comments for now except for one:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/ASC/ghost5.jpg

Hephesto
31-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Just keep your eyes on my other log, something might pop up in a week or so ;)

Captain Castus
31-12-2008, 01:51 PM
He's the guy that got me started on this whole mess again, so any outbursts of insanity in this log are completely his fault ;)

Glad to hear it! :p

Looking forward to seeing more in the New Year... It's been too long!

CC

Hephesto
01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Well we've started, time for me to plan out my armyroster and building/painting schedule. Luckily I had loads of time to sort this one out last week. So for my first month I have the following stuff planned:

- Relictor Space Marine Squad (10 man, flamer and missile launcher)
- Relictor Razorback (still undeicided whether I'll buy one or convert it from a rhino kit)
- Eldar Corsairs (5 'count as' Scouts with sniper rifles and a missile launcher - yes, gamewise not the best unit)
- 1 or 2 Objective markers (most likely an Altar and a bound daemon-host thingy)

And for next month:
- Relictor Captain (bolter and Relic Blade, well Scythe)
- second Xenos merc group (not 100% sure yet where I'll be going with these lads)
- An extra character for sheer fun, a Relictor Librarian who will be featured in my background story. Not intended to be actually used in the army, but I just got really inspired hen I accidently put some leftover bits together yesterday.

Months after that:
- Well you'd better keep checking back every now and then for more on those ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Objective marker?

Can't have you being the only one to do that now can we!? ;)

As for snipers being crap. I actually thing they are worth it still. They had a nerfing but still a viable unit.

The Dim Reaper
01-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Well if FH is getting one I want one too!! ;)

looking good Heph if that model is anything to go by you'll have a really great force in no time.
Really big fan of the Relictors myself, though that may be the radical in me speaking :p

Best of luck mate.

Cheers,

Dim

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
01-01-2009, 05:23 PM
You have to make one mate! ;)

Also about relictors: Just pasnsies who can't accept the truth! :p

Nomad
05-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Best of luck Heph, can't wait to see it come together.

LAZtheinfamous
09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Eh, this came a little late, but I'm going to subscribe here. And all the rest.

Silver
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
As for snipers being crap. I actually thing they are worth it still. They had a nerfing but still a viable unit.

How did snipers get nerfed? They might not hit anymore on a 2+, but ignore armor on 6+ (something only Eldar rangers used to have...)

The Commodore
09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I eagerly await your progress mate.

I am rubbing my hands with glee as we speak.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
How did snipers get nerfed? They might not hit anymore on a 2+, but ignore armor on 6+ (something only Eldar rangers used to have...)

So they got nerfed in the "to hit" part of the shooting but they get that little plus now like you said. wasn't saying they were worthless mate. But I think another thread is in order if you want to discuss yes?

They were nerfed but they got a good balance.

Hephesto
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Progres coming this weekend in the form of a converted razorback, paint will arrive next week so things will really pick up then!

The Commodore
10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Look forward to it mate.

Hephesto
11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Would have worked out if I hadn't forgotten that I am out of both Shadow Grey and greenstuff, new stuff arriving at my local store tuesday though. So I need to finish of Eodred's landspeeder and then it is on to Relictors, working on a converted Razorback though. Pics coming later ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I await mate.

Eagerly.

Starky
11-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds good Heph, can;t wait to some more of your stuff.

Starky

Hephesto
11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Mini update time, opened up a nice Vindicator kit and started assembling. I dropped a 5 point combat shield on the assault marine sergeant and got a shiny dozer blade for the razorback. Although I didnt go with extra armour, I couldn't pass by the superb vindicator armour segments. It will require some overhauling, but I'm certain I can make something cool out of it. For the turret I'll also be using some of the spare Vindicator bits, but more in that with the next update:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/razorback1.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I was expecing something major. :(

Joke! :D Nice to see what you've been up to!

The Commodore
12-01-2009, 01:11 AM
I was expecing something major. :(

Joke! :D Nice to see what you've been up to!

I think that once Heph's exams are done with, you guys will have to struggle to keep up.

Good work so far mate. ;)

Kishvier
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Pfff, I got exams starting in a week and a half!:(

Hephesto
14-01-2009, 01:21 AM
Progres, kind of anyway. Undercoated the first of the Eldar Corsairs, bit unsure on what kind of scheme I'll be going with though;
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/corsair1.jpg

More on this guys as well as the rest of his squad and the first Relictor squad friday ;)

Wraithlord
14-01-2009, 02:13 AM
I see mostly DE bits, but what are the rest from. (Also, neat model)

Guzzlrr
14-01-2009, 02:21 AM
dark elfs corsiars i belive and i see a maruder shield in ther!

nice work!

GuZz

Hephesto
14-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Dark Eld corsair body, mantle and 1 arm, dark eldar helmet and weaponry. Greenstuff Eldar symbol on chestarmour and a chaos rhino hatch shield one the base. I was very tempted for a second to go all bright and colourful on them as they have a certain old school Harlequin feel to them ;)

The Commodore
14-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Very menacing. Good work.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-01-2009, 03:58 PM
That's quite nice mate.

Xeno Mercenaries? Hunted by the Inquisition? Just add a few spikes and you have chaos mate! (Go on!!)

UltraAdam
16-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Paint scheme:I sugjest mainly blood red and whats left is still black;)

The Commodore
17-01-2009, 02:24 AM
That's quite nice mate.

Xeno Mercenaries? Hunted by the Inquisition? Just add a few spikes and you have chaos mate! (Go on!!)
What are you..., on a recruiting drive or something?? :D

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Just shwing him the true light...

But actually, don't bother Hephesto, I like the current balance.

3 Imperial
1 Tau
3 Chaos
1 Undecided

:D

Eodred
25-01-2009, 09:48 PM
How're you getting on?
Oh and sub added :D

Cheers
E

Hephesto
25-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Lagging behind, people keep pooring more work on me. So 0 chance of making this month's deathline, but I have a week's worth of vacationdays coming up. So I may be late, but I will get there...whatever it takes!

Good thing next month has an HQ choice in there, save a lott of time ;)

Kishvier
26-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Agreed man, HQ should be tons faster, I should pop one out in around 8 hours compared to the 15 it takes for squads.:rolleyes:

Hephesto
31-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Review of January

As Silver so accurately stated, time has indeed flown by. And as you have undoubtably noticed, my progres has been far from impressive. In fact, I haven't finished anything for the first month. Talk about embarrassing :o

I do have several reasons for the sluggish progress, but I don't really want to use them as excuses. Nonetheless studying combined with work have really been draining me these last few weeks.

So it looks like I'll really have to speed it up for next month with 3 troop choices and an HQ in the form of a Relictor captain. Over the course of the coming week I intend to finish all building on the captain, first 2 troops choices and razorback. This should give me plenty of time to paint the lott and get working on the third troop choice.

Though the amount of painting does scare me a tad, I am very much looking forward to it. Right now I am left with two difficult remaining choices:
- What basing style to go with, I'm leaning towards rubble and debris again.
- How should I paint those Eldar Corsairs.

Also working on some minor ideas for some freehand on the razorbacks:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r1.jpg

So thanks for the patience everybody and keep checking back for real progres!

-Hephesto-

The Commodore
31-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Good luck mate, that is a mighty ask you have ahead of you there.;)

Put on some good music, and keep your spirits up. Just think of how good they will look when they are done, and it will be so.:)

Hephesto
31-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks mate, I really appreciate it! A lott of work indeed, but interesting work!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
31-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I await to see what you do as always mate. although as you won't be able to get points for two if the troops, I suggest you do them as a little side project to your side project over the five months maybe. :)

The Commodore
31-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks mate, I really appreciate it! A lott of work indeed, but interesting work!
No worries. :)

Hephesto
09-02-2009, 09:32 PM
And the works slowly move forward with a captain and a squad of Marines:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r2.jpg

I'm contemplating of making several HQ units so that I can make minis for all the characters that will be in the soon to come introductionary background story chapter. Given the units I have selected I am 'forced' to keep the master of the forge-replacement figure I'll be converting. So one some occassion I'll be replacing the captain with relic weapon (130 points) with a librarian and an extra flamer-armed assault marine (combined 128 points).
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r3.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
ARRRGH!!!

You updated! :eek:

---

I jest, I await to see what you do with these mate. :)

Hephesto
09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
And I intend to update regulary, I have some decent working time at night the following 1-2 weeks. So I can make this month's goal without relative stress, which could mean I can even make up for last month's lacking progres!

Eodred
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Nooooo, you'll overtake me :eek: :mad:

:D
Only kidding, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Do you clean the mini before or after assembly?

Cheers
E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Speed up and don't let him then! :p

Eodred
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Bah, Humbug.

I will work at my own speed, or I will not work at all.

Apologies for the sidetrackage Heph.
E

Hephesto
09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I'll clean the librarian yes, a little extra Skrall tossed in during a bits trade. Always been a big fan of the sculpt and this project offers the ideal opportunity to make use of it!

As an added bonus these guys are the straight forward segments of this army, so taking care of them first will give me a decent core. As well as some extra time to work in the xenos merc elements I intend to use. For the Eldar corsairs it merely comes down to a colourscheme that will both make them exotic and fit in with the Relictors. The Barghesi (partially based on a slightly mentioned GW unknown race and the excellent work of Uber Kroot) and the Xenalthian Herbalogist's forces will be a bit tougher. But more on those at a later date ;)

UltraAdam
11-02-2009, 11:38 PM
better hurry up, I'm going to check on silver now I think he updated to....

Hephesto
15-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Work goes on, holes have been filled, green stuff has been added and bases have been prepped. I hope to get the priming done tomorrow, and yes I undercoat by hand! I have added some detail pics of the minor conversion work on the starter marines. The best bit is missing unfortunately, forgot to take pics of the kneepad conversion of 2 of them.

Also included are my Captain and his replacement Librarian who will be featured in my soon to come fluff:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r5.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r6.jpg
Got quite a few backpacks to work on as well:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r7.jpg

More updates as soon as possible, hopefully tomorrow and/or monday evening!

Kishvier
15-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Nice work man!

The Commodore
15-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Yep..., looking good so far.

Hephesto
15-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I have come across a bit of a roadblock I'll be needing to tackle quite soon and I figured I'd get some input from you lads. Been contemplating colourschemes for all the various elements of the army, which up until now is porving simple enough. Relictors fit quite well with the earthy tones I have planned for the Barghesi and Xenalthian allies. The Eldar Corsair who have taken the place of a sniper scout squad are an entirely different matter.

I really need to do something special with them to set them aside from both your basic Eldar and the Dark Eldar. Annyoing thing it though that so far all ideas really class with the dusty / earthy fell of the rest of the army, nevermind that harlequinesque colourschemes rather go against the idea of camo cloaks ;) So once more the pics and any suggestion or input would be highly appreciated!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/contest1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/tale%20of%20x%20gamers%202008-2009/update3-10.jpg

Starky
15-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Well I know this is still a bit earthy but have you considered going for a dark green colour, i can't find any pictures at the moment but i have my wood elf army painted in dark green colours, i shall take some pics and pm them to you.

Starky

The Commodore
15-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I know it sounds cliched, but I would go for the ninja look.

They are after all supposed to be stealthy clever and clandestine..., who is better at doing that, than ninjas.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
15-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Dark black/grey tones (closer to black than blue) with pale flesh for a contrast. A bit like your afriel commandos.

Hephesto
16-02-2009, 01:34 AM
And we're moving on, kind of proud I got this far in such a short time. I realize that undercoating some minis and putting down a basecoat is easy work, but I'm normally really, really slow ;)

So the backpack section hs gotten the first bit of work on them done:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r9.jpg

The captain also looks rather nice in his nifty new undercoat:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r10.jpg

And another pic of the Librarian, now ready for painting as well:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r11.jpg

The Commodore
16-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Like what you done with the captain.

Where did you get that scythe??

Hephesto
18-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Minor progres tonight, got the lenses and joints done on the Space Marines.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r12.jpg

In addition I experimented with the Librarian's skull mask and face, resulting in the following:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r13.jpg

Sorry for the bright pic, but you get the idea ;) Also just realized that the inspiration for it must have come fom the Horus Heresy art books. There's this one pre-Heresy Word Bearer Apostle in there somewhere who also has a skull mask. Hoping to get more time in tomorrow evening, if so I'll try to finish all the backpacks and get some basecoat done on a few marines!

Bytemeh2
18-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Wow, I haven't been keeping a lot of tabs on these pages, basically so I could come in and have lots to look at; but now I have tons to comment on and very little time to fit it all in... so here's a shot at it:

First - Way back with your free hand stuff. I really liked the Rose you had going, that would look good on a rhino/other vehicle. Maybe incorporate it with the skulls so it grows through the skull, maybe weaving in and out through the mouth and eye sockets?

Two - Nice paint scheme, it is scary similar to what I was thinking about for my CSM's. And the paint job is very good as well.

Three - The Eldar pirates are really kewl. I like how you mixed and matched the various kits for quite a unique look.

Four - The librarian's skull mask came out great.

Rep for you.

Now back to work for me. =)

Hephesto
18-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks very much for the rep mate, it has been great fun working on these lads so far. I was indeed planning doing something with that rose on one of the transports, though those are still a month away.

Here is my original plan, as you can see I'm slightly behind right now. But over the course of the next month I should be able to catch up again, especially since the Barghesi are fairly straight forward to paint. More news on those in a few days by the way, just need to figure out what kind of bits to use for the weaponry.

edit - sorry for the crappy layout below, for some reason I can't seem to get it to line out normally

Januari
- Relictor Space Marine Squad [TROOPS]
- Eldar Corsairs [TROOPS]

Februari
- Relictor Captain [HQ]
- Bargeshi Clones [TROOPS]

March
- Bargeshi Clone Master [ELITES]
- Xenalthan Herbalogist [HQ]

April
- Relictor Dreadnought [HEAVY SUPPORT]
- Subjugator Assault Squad [FAST ATTACK]

May
- Xenalthan Leviathan [HEAVY SUPPORT]
- Relictor Terminators [ELITES]

Juni
- Relictor Sternguard [ELITES]
- Xenalthan Husks [TROOPS]

Due to no progres in januari I now have the following work plan:

Januari

- Eldar Corsairs [TROOPS]

Februari

- Relictor Captain [HQ]

March

- Bargeshi Clone Master or Sternguard [ELITES]
- Xenalthan Herbalogist [HQ]
(hopefully + Barghesi clones [TROOPS] + Xenalthian Husks [TROOPS])

April

- Relictor Dreadnought [HEAVY SUPPORT]
- Subjugator Assault Squad [FAST ATTACK]

May

- Xenalthan Leviathan [HEAVY SUPPORT]
- Relictor Terminators [ELITES]

Juni

- Sternguard or Barghesi Clonemaster [ELITES]
- Xenalthan Husks [TROOPS]

In between other stuff:
- D3 + 2 army-relevant objective markers
- fluff
- Eldar Corsair Squad [TROOPS]
- Barghesi Clone Squad [TROOPS]
- 1 or 2 transports

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm just doing it as I go along. You'll curse your plans soon enough... :D

Hephesto
18-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I doubt it this time, it gives me a nice 1500 points army to try and complete by the end of this cool project ;)

Hephesto
19-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I think that I might have to continue my small tradition of adding a small critter to all of my armies. So far I've had a vulture, a nurglesque gribbly, over a dozen different chaos familiars and the lastest is the duckling on the Afriel sniper's base.

Now what to do for the Relictors, perhaps something like this? ;) http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Smileys/avatar.gif All fear kung-fu hamster!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
19-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Definately a familiar for your sorceror mate!

Oh sorry, my bad, you aren't chaos are you!? :p

Hephesto
19-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Borderline, we Relictors walk the fine path between light and shadow. Every so often the path takes a detour through the darkness though ;)

Hephesto
20-02-2009, 01:19 AM
And a mini update with the work on the backpacks coming along nicely:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r14.jpg

And a pic of another allied squad that will join the Relictors in both the fiction and on the battlefield - the Subjugators:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/Subjugators.jpg

Arkaedin
20-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Finish a squad already! :p

Also, I LOVE that librarian mask! Very nice!

Hephesto
20-02-2009, 01:52 AM
You know I'm slow, those Afriels took me 2 months to paint remember ;)

I have 2 days of next week, so the full squad and both characters will be done in time
for the deadline. I also intend to write the first 1 or 2 chapters of army background,
I have a full diagram written down on how I want to integrate all this stuff into some
kind of semi-coherent storyline. Also working on conversion test models for the Barghesi
and Xenalthian allies. Spare parts will go to the Umbra article once I pick up that extra
box of Dryads tomorrow afternoon!

Hephesto
22-02-2009, 01:22 AM
And the packpacks are done and ready to go into the field:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r16.jpg

Work has also begun on the actual wearers of the backpacks. The picture below also show why I love the Relictor colourscheme, even the basic coat of shadow grey looks great!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r15.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
22-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow Heph, keep it up.

Silver
22-02-2009, 01:32 PM
The picture below also show why I love the Relictor colourscheme, even the basic coat of shadow grey looks great!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r15.jpg

Am I blind or is that blue, not grey? :confused:

Hephesto
22-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Half right there Silver, it is Shadow Grey. So blue-ish grey, the flash kind of messes with the shade......no worries, I haven't turned Smurf again ;)

There's a bit of a discrepancy in GW's depiction of the legion, in fluff and old stuff they had light grey armour with black trim. But all of GW's painted Relictors have always been shadow grey, since then most hobbyist have gone with the shadow grey direction. Initially I was planning on doing grey, but I once more fell for one of my favorite colours - shadow grey.

This is also just the first stage of painting on the armour, a second layer, 3-4 washes, 2 highlights and dirt still need to be applied. I'm really getting the feel for it again, woke up this morning with a craving to paint some stuff. So once I finish some preperational work for a few experiments I'll be running in a week or so, I'll be back diping my brushes in that blue-ish grey (or is that gry-ish blue?) ;)

Just need to figure out what colour to do robes and stuff, leaning towards very earthy colours like graveyard earth. Bright colours really don't fit on these guys and since the Barghesi will be mainly browns it would help create an extra bit of coherency for the entire force. But what to do with the captain's long flowing cloack?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
22-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Definately go for a rich colour like yellow or red, then add the dirt like this:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo171/Fire_Harte/Space%20Marines/DSCF0380.jpg?t=1230571177

[/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

Hephesto
22-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Would indeed make him stand out a bit more. Of to the library now to make come copies etc, when I get back I'm putting a dvd in my PS3 while doing some more painting and building. Should get a decent amount of the regular armour done tonight, as well as 2-3 test variant for the robes and if all goes well a preview at the gribbly that is going to replace the normal techmarine ;)

Kishvier
22-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Looking forward to see what you do.

Hephesto
22-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Update time, work is slowly progressing on the boys in greyish blue (sorry for the blurry pic):

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r17.jpg

And here's the initial conversion work on the Barghesi Clonemaster (Techmarine replacement). Unfortunately my camera battery ran out before I could get more pics, but these should give an first impression.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r18.jpg

Rather fond of his part Barghesi, part Imperial tech servo-arm:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r19.jpg

First of full credits for the first design (head and use of ghouls bits) goes to Uber Kroot over at www.wargamerau.com (http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51921). The guys has build a ton of unique xenos armies all worth checking out and I really got inspired by all that great stuff. The first idea of putting some xenos mercs in this army came from his stuff and my long-lasting love/hate-relationship with the Kroot Merc list ;)

Storywise the Barghesi are a very agressive race that have lost the knowledge how to produce their technology. Instead they rely heavily on cloning technology, with most of the species' warriors being drawn straight from the cloning vats. Every few spawnings a smarter speciment staggers from the goo and they are culturally appointed as leaders and wielders of the arcane technology and weapons available to the race. The term leader should better be replaced with caretaker as the remainder of the species require a great amount of supervision and guidance to ensure both its survival and to prevent it from turning on itself.

But more on him and his crew in about a week when I tackle his servitors and a second HQ choice!

Kishvier
23-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Very nice man, I love the techmarine!

scribe
23-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Not too shabby at all Heph. Some rep for these guys.

OK... when I can give out rep again that is.

Hephesto
23-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys, it will take another 2-4 evenings of tinkering before they'll all be finished. But I'll make it in time this month! The extra good news is that for next month I only have to build/paint 7 minis (Bargheshi Clonemaster + servitors + second Xenos HQ), so I should have time to catch up on my lack of progres in januari!

The Commodore
23-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Good luck mate, your stuff is looking top notch so far.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Nice stuff so far Heph!

Hephesto
23-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Time to kick of the fiction with the first chapter, has been quite a while so I'm a bit rusty ;) (991 words by the way)

Chapter I - Excommunication

Another explosion sent a shockwave through the Barghesi striker and its wounded occupants. Tightly grabbing the unconscious scout to his right brother Aurelus tried to keep his balance as he looked around the cargo bay. Strapped in the seats clearly not designed for human, let alone Marine use were a dozen heavily wounded Space Marines, most of them more dead than alive. A second explosion, more violent than the first sent Aurelus flying unto the floor. Staggering back to his feet, he crawled towards the striker’s cockpit as he felt the vehicle centre of gravity drifting off to the left. A quick punch at the access panel triggered the doorway’s hydraulics.

Slumped against the access corridor’s wall laid the bodies of two dead Barghesi clone warriors, their muscular, yet scrawny bodies riddled with wounds. A third warrior was still attempting to repair one of the vessel’s guidance systems. Staring for a second at the xenos’ crushed right arm and brutally scared face, Aurelus couldn’t help but feel sympathy for the creature’s dedication to his duty. Dragging himself along the guard rail mounted to the right corridor he stepped up the three steps and into the vessel’s cockpit and an entirely new view of carnage.

In front of the vessel’s cockpit laid the vast emptiness of space, though in this case nothing could be further from the truth as the transport ship was making its way through the remnants of the Relictor battlebarge ‘Strength of Will’ as well as half a dozen blasted support ships. The Strength of Will had been his home ever since his recruitment on Neutra. Seeing it like this sent a mixture of rage and great sadness through the battle-brother’s mind.

‘Still alive I see, sergeant?’, shouted the nav-officer who awkwardly sat in the Barghesi coordinator’s seat. Its former occupant desperately smashing away at even more damaged electronics in the pilot’s control chair. ‘Situation report’, whispered Aurelus with a weak voice as he grabbed hold of the control chair of the pilot. ‘Half a dozen transports made it out sir, no reports about any other survivors. And we have four starhawks on our six, with a fetting cruiser closing in fast’, the nav-officer replied as he pointed at the holographic display in front of him. ‘Any word from Karnt and the ‘Vengeance’, Aurelus continued. ‘Luckily, yes sir. The Vengeance has just arrived on the system’s outskirts and is rushing to meet with us. That is if this piece of Xenos junk stays in one piece and our ‘pilot’ doesn’t kick the bucket like the rest of the crew’, the officer replied gesturing at the Barghesi on his left. The creature was sitting in a puddle of its own blood, the eyes on the left side of its face shattered and broken, while its numerous bionics and drug systems worked overtime to keep the new pilot alive.

As if the nav-officer’s words had invited their presence the pursuing starhawkes came back into range, firing away at the barely shielded striker. The Barghesi pilot’s evasive maneuvers were no longer of help as the vessel lost more and more speed due to the extensive damage it had been exposed to.. Entering a sequence of commands into this control panel the pilot produced a high-pitched sequence of sounds, which was returned mere seconds later. Dropping from the wreckage of a thunderhawke in front of them five smaller and damaged Barghesi fighters jetted past the striker and straight into the fire of the pursuing ships. Though futile, they provided just the distraction the striker needed to get away from the debris field.

As the communication with the remaining Barghesi fighters ceased, Aurelus knew they were all dead. Their sacrifice was not in vain as he could see The Vengeance closing in from the vessel’s starboard viewport. Though damaged and clearly leaking oxygen he had never been so relieved to see a rogue trader’s merchant vessel. Guided by the ship’s docking system the Striker made a rough landing in the main docking bay, mere seconds later The Vengeance made the jump into the Warp and away from the slaughter of Fremas.

Smashing the console in front of him with Inquisitor Cyarro spat out a curse at the sight of the escaping merchant vessel. ‘Cursed traitors and aliens, like vermin they run from the purifying fires of redemption. Navigator, calculate their possible trajectory’. The column of wiring, tubes and flesh towards which the order was directed replied with a cold ‘yes, lord’, before once more drifting off into its metallic existence of mathematics.

With a bright flash the holographic face of Grey Knight appeared in front of Cyarro’s station on the cruiser’s command deck. The messenger though giving detailed information of the victorious battle against the renegade Relictor forces on the surface of the now destroyed Fremas could not calm the Inquisitor’s rage at the escape of this single vessel. Then a ragtag group of men, bearing inquisitorial markings arrived on the command deck. Cyarro gesturing them to stay back while he finished formalities with his Grey Knight, which after a flood of battle statistics finally ended.

‘Did you succeed, Durkan’, the Inquisitor asked the reptilian creature that led the group, ‘Did your actions go unseen by our knights in shining armour?’ Stepping forward the creature bowed to its master, ‘Yesss, my lord. We would not have return had we failed.’

‘Indeed so and what did you bring from tainted Fremas?’, Cyarro continued. ‘Nine captured my lord, including a survivor of the Kahadrat incursion, Durkan replied. Slowly turning towards the scaled mercenary, Cyarro smiled. ‘Most intriguing, prepare the chamber and the prisoners for interrogation. We may catch up to those escaped traitors faster than they could ever imagine’. Another nod followed by a gracious bow and Durkan returned to his men and descended back into the bowels of the ship and the poor souls in the holding cells awaiting his arrival.

Eodred
25-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Very nice piece of fiction my friend and some very interesting and well painted models.

What head did you use on the Barghesi Clonemaster?

REP
E

Kishvier
25-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Looks like a tyranid bit, spinefist arm I think.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
25-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Sure is indeed. I have to say Heph you have a very vivid imagination. I would have never have figured that one as a head myself. I guess that's what happens for hobbying for 18-19 years? (I believe in your interview you started when you were six!)

Hephesto
26-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the comments lads, got another mini update. Still have tons of work left, luckily I have tomorrow evening off as well as the greater part of saturday. And Horus knows, I need every second of it. Curse these slow painting skills.

The Barghesi is a combo of way too much imagination and some inspirational conversion by Uberkroot. Perhaps I have been in this hobby for way too long, it has definitely taken the larger chunk of my sanity on a one way trip into the Warp ;)

But enough words, time for pics. Tactical Sergeant:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r20.jpg

And the Relic Scythe, the blade still needs some serious tlc though:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r21.jpg

The Commodore
26-02-2009, 01:08 PM
That is some super nice stuff mate.

I like the climbing plant thing you have going on there, a very interesting idea.

Hephesto
26-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Insane as it may be I bought the empire wizard kit specifically for that one bit. The rest of the bits are very nice as well, but the scythe top caught my eye the second I saw the first pics of the sprue.

The Commodore
26-02-2009, 01:23 PM
It is definitely out of the ordinary, but it really does seem to fit the bill...,

Odd that?

Hephesto
27-02-2009, 01:26 AM
And we're getting there, have like an hour of time tomorrow (and a Hammerfall concert) and half an afternoon on saturday. So I'm going to make it, just have to think what of to write for my monthly update piece:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r22.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r23.jpg

scribe
27-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Very nice mate. I will be back with more rep again. :)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Enjoy the HammerFall concert by any means necessary. ;)

Hephesto
27-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks a bunch for the rep Scribe!

@ Fire Harte - way ahead of you there mate ;)Bullet, Sabaton and Hammerfall, what could go wrong? Though last time a part of the stage caught fire, nothing serious though!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Damn, I r jealouz of your geographical location d00d:D

What could go wrong? Bullet that's what.

Silver
27-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah Bullet rocks. I was at one of their concerts...and it's wild! :D

Hephesto
27-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I rather doubt it, rather cool band - Frigging old school (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO7OZq3dw2s)!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh those guys sorry. I thought you meant Bullet for my President, err Valentine. :o

Kishvier
27-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Bullet for my Valentine is a good band man!

Silver
27-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Can't believe FH likes Dragonforce and not BFMV as well :D

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-02-2009, 08:40 PM
It's my taste mate! :D But DragonForce are actually cool.

Not in my opinion...

But yeah, I kinda don't like thier style, but we are not here for discussion of me, but Hephesto's models.

Silver
27-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Let's put it this way....I love both bands! ;)

Sorry Heph :o, can't wait for more of your updates!

Cheers,
-Silver

Kishvier
28-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Can't believe FH likes Dragonforce and not BFMV as well :D

Yuck, dragonforce.

scribe
28-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Your tears don't fall, Kish, they crash around me. ;)

These are good, Heph, as I said before.

Hephesto
28-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Feels like I'm caught in the eye of the storm here while the fury of the storm rages around me . Good thing I've studied the art of war to become proficient in the way of the warrior :D

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
28-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Yuck, dragonforce.

Yuck Bullet for my President err Valentine and Disturbed. :p

Silver
28-02-2009, 09:10 PM
The thing about music is that not everybody has the same taste. ;) It's like saying:

Person A: Yay apples!

Person B: Yuck, apples. Yay oranges!

Person A: Yuck, Oranges.

...at the end of the day, there might also be people who hate both fruits and people who love 'em both. Doesn't make one better/worse than the other.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
28-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Absolutely correct Silver and I don't disagree with you, but this thing always happens.

Silver
28-02-2009, 09:19 PM
but this thing always happens.

Hmm...perhaps it's a human flaw? The "Whatever I like, has to be universally better than whatever you like." stance...I've seen it happen in religions, ethnicity, politics, gender, age and nationality (especially during sports championships). Dreaming that all humans on this planet would lay their differences aside is sadly a goal too unrealistic for mankind to achieve. Then again, "I have a dream..." ;)

Hephesto
28-02-2009, 10:56 PM
FEBRUARI UPDATE

Cutting it close here, but I've just made it in time for the deadline. 1 HQ and 1 Troops choice and done and ready for the battlefield. First up the captain:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r24.jpg

And the troops:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r25.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r26.jpg

And finally some detailshots of the troops' equipment:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r27.jpg

Though I had a slow start in januari I think I have a bit of momentum going now, so the coming 2 months I should be able to reach each month's deadlines. As well as catching up with the stuff I didn't finish in januari. It has been a blast working on these and I can't wait to work on the support vehicles and the sternguard.

For coming month we have 1 Elites and 1 HQ choice. This means that you'l get your first look at the xenalthians next month and either the Barghesi Clonemaster or the Sternguard. With some luck I might even have a new update as soon as tomorrow evening, but now I have some Helghast to blast ;)

So that brings my points with up:
- finished required armyslots + 6 points
- painted everything + 5 points
- fiction piece + 2 points
- conversion (on HQ, not troops) + 1 point

TOTAL = 14 points

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
28-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Add some well earned REP onto those guys mate. ;)

The Vulture
01-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Add some well earned REP onto those guys mate. ;)

I second that...absolutely amazing stuff here Heph!

Love the commander.....Well Done!

Hephesto
02-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks guys, this project was a great idea. Finally some motivation to stay stuck on one force ;)

Speaking about which, time for the next few units. March brings us 1 Elites choice and one of your own choice. Up until 3 days ago I was planning on tackling a second HQ choice and that clonemaster, things have changed around a bit though. I'm going to finish the SM segment of the army first with 2 Elite choice, 1 HS and 1 FA choice for the next 2 months. So over the next couple of weeks some termies, 6 sternguard and a 'fun for' librarian and extra sternguard will be dropping in.

So first up we have the Sternguard:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r29.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r28.jpg

More news in a couple of days, have some university work and some writing on Astro Mag articles to do first though ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Look absolutely brilliant matey. Excellent use of bitz to.

Kishvier
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Yuck Bullet for my President err Valentine and Disturbed. :p

YOU SPEAK LIES!!! AAAAGHGGHGGHGH!!! LIES!!!

*Calms self down*

Fire Harte, never, ever insult Disturbed in front of me.

Nice work Heph.

The Commodore
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r28.jpg

Hmm..., J like to keep this handy..., for close encounters"

I like it..., very nice work as always.

Hephesto
06-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Moving on, basing nearly done. Undercoating will start in a day or two:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r30.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r31.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Aww, they are wearing girly-robes! :D

Cathlimir
11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Shush! those arent girly robes! Theyre robes of awesome!

Hephesto
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
There finally somebody who understands! More progres soon everybody, been working on an IG article for Astromag issue 4. Should be done in a few days and then it is back to Relictor central!

The Banished Ranger
17-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I can't believe you basecoat by hand :eek: I would go mad after one miniature. Even more reason to give REP on top of the good paint jobs and captain conversion.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, I've just painted some guys for this project and I have to say you get a much better result with a hand-undercoat. I don't do it much but I'm considering it now with my smaller more elite armies.

Hephesto
17-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Takes a bit more work, but is well worth it. Especially for smaller armies!

About time I get back to my Relictors, so from tomorrow evening you'll be getting more half painted minis ;)

Hephesto
23-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Blurrrgh, what a weekend. Curse the blessings of Father Nurgle, been in bed for two days. But in between settng up my wireless internet, I managed to get some work done on the Relictors. Basecoat is on and the first few coats of shadow grey has been applied to the backpacks and Sternguard.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r32.jpg

Hope to get the basic work on the termi armour done tomorrow night, as well as all the shading on all the armour. As said, it will be close again this month. But I'll make, even if I have to broker some deals with the denizens of the Warp (how in character rihgt ;)).

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r33.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Keep it up mate, I'm sure you're gonna reach the deadline.

Hephesto
23-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Hope so, been in bed all day >_< Curse you Grandpapa Nurgle!

Eodred
23-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Really cool mate, nicely painted and good use of bits.

Any chance of a group shot?

REP
E

Hephesto
23-03-2009, 08:32 PM
THanks Eodred, should have a nice group shot if I finish everything in time this weekend. In fact I should be short one unit of a legally playable army this weekend....I can dream right ;)

Though I''ve been sick in bed all weekend there is a bit of a silver lining to everything. Been listening to a lott of new music and online radiochannels and came across another beauty. Blackguard (formerly known as Profugus Mortis) from Canade. These guys won that myspace bandcontract thingy Nuclear Blast was throwing. Worthy winners of you ask me, nice mix of Children of Bodom and Finntroll!

Scarlet to Snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2HCesFHCJ0&eurl=http&#37;3A%2F%2Fwww.lordsofmetal.nl%2Fshowreview .php%3Fid%3D13448&feature=player_embedded)
Cinder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JbU0SMhBAc&feature=related)
This round's on me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSBGE5Okw0)

Nothing like Folk Metal to cheer me up ;)

The Banished Ranger
23-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Aye the Grandfather has blessed me with a nice fever this morning. Although feverish dreams tend to be the more epic ones. :P

You'll reach deadline no problem. can't wait to see the painted termies.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-03-2009, 10:25 PM
That's good folk man.

But yeah, army shot for me soon!

Eodred
23-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Great music, what online radio channels?

Cheers
E

Hephesto
24-03-2009, 12:16 AM
We get all the normal Dutch radiochannels online as well, been mostly listening to Aardschok (http://www.kinkfm.com/listen/kinkaardschok) (metal, rock etc..).

Eodred
24-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Excellent :D

Thanks mate :D

E

Hephesto
25-03-2009, 01:00 AM
My pleasure, jeej for the internet right ;)

Relictor time, unfortunately my battery ran out before I took all pics. Nearly got all the basic armour done on the termies and sternguard, so I might actually have a chance at making this deadline. Had a throbbing headache all evening (caught a sniffle, thank you Papa Nurgle), sp painting was slow. So instead I figured some nice gluevapor would help out, while I added some mor stuff to a converted Razorback.

Love the vindicator dozerblade and side armour, so I used those to give this razorback something special:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r34.jpg

Annoyingly enough I had nothing I could use for the turret, or so I though before I hit the bits boxes. One baneblade twin-linked heavy bolter, chaos bike bit and some IG track guards later and we have a half decent gun turret. The entire thing needs some extra work, hole filling and wires added to the turret, but it's getting there slowly. I'll also be putting it on a base of 2 glued together old cd-roms.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r35.jpg

Eodred
25-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Very cool stuff mate :D

Why a CD base?

Cheers
E

Hephesto
25-03-2009, 01:47 AM
The only thing that is big enough and I've used them in the past for bigger Apocalypse-sized stuff.

Eodred
25-03-2009, 02:24 AM
But why on a base, if it's not rude?

Cheers
E

Arkaedin
25-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah, I must say, first time I saw a Rhino chassis on a base! Of course, if it's a display piece it makes perfect sense. And you're like the basing king. Never mind, my queries were answered in my own ramblings :p

The Commodore
25-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I like the turret, simple yet effective.

Should be quite pretty when it is painted too.

Hephesto
25-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Not much of a gamer anymore, so I rather liked the idea of a semi-scenic base. But time will tell ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
25-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I like it so far mate. Will it be detachable from the base at all?

EDIT: Brainstorm: have the bolt pistol loyalist marine on the base. Chaos being the ever-defiler and all. :D

Hephesto
27-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Won't be making it in time this month guys. Apologies, but I've been sick all week and I have to go to a funeral tomorrow. An old school friend kicked the bucket a few days ago. Excuse the light-hearted approach, sarcasm is my way of cooping ;)

All in all it hasn't been the best of weeks, but you learn to roll with the punches. For the Relictors this will mean a few more days of delay, so instead of a monthly summary I'll be posting up some preview of the stuff of the coming month on sunday.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Shame to hear about the loss mate and unlucky about all of the bad health to.

*Scutters off knowing victory is ever closer to his grasp!* :D

Oh and I know I sent you a PM but thanks for keeping me updated on that alestorm stuff. ;)

The Commodore
28-03-2009, 12:22 AM
My condolences Heph.

Eodred
29-03-2009, 07:58 AM
My condolences aswell.

E

Hephesto
29-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys, means a lott! I'll try to get an update posted up later today ;)

Hephesto
29-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Looks like I was half asleep when I first wrote my armylist, quite a few mistakes still in there.

- close-combat oriented captain without a method of getting him into the fray
- 7 men-strong sternguard troop while the accompagnying razorback can only carry 6 men
- 2 point total mistakes, they do cancel eachother out though
- haven't included the librarian I could use instead of the captain
- doing so also means I have to build one extra flamer-armed assault marine

So time to hammer out these errors and get the bits together for those assault marines and the first dreadnought for coming months. Pics later tonight ;)

Hephesto
29-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Alrighty sneak peeks of some new stuff, starter dread. The plasma cannon is still a bit wonky:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r37.jpg

Subjugator assault marines using minmax heads and jetpaks. The last may be a bit big, but I love the look;)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r36.jpg

Arkaedin
30-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Hmm, Lepp tried the same thing and got the same "wonky" result. It is too small to look good on a dread so he just bought the forgeworld one. I don't know what could help make it look more appropriately sized though :/

Those marines look SICK though, great work!!

Silver
30-03-2009, 12:45 AM
If those converted marines are 5 in number, you get the +1 point for conversion there. As for the Dread, well only the Plasmacannon is converted - I'll call it a conversion if the other (active) participants agree. Nevertheless, you got some excellent work there, mate! :)

Cheers,
-Silver

Hephesto
30-03-2009, 12:56 AM
The Assault SQuad will be an 8-men group, as for the dread I'm not sure yet if this is the way to go. Could and should be much better!

Ah well, just enough time to wipe up a piece of fiction tomorrow evening and get things sorted so I can catch up on this month's hassle in a week or so ;)

LAZtheinfamous
30-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Have you tried the plasma cannons from the Leman Russ Demolisher? Those would probably fit.

Hephesto
10-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Good idea Laz, I'll have to look into it. Also some good news, got my new brushes and paint last night. I have some spring cleaning to do today (which includes some bits collection and packages for trading), but from tomorrow I'm back in the saddle with the Relictors! Also got the extra bits I need to make the rest of the assault squad, as well as a Razorback for the Sternguard.

Starky
10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
It all looks very good, maybe wait for the sentinel kit to come out and use the plasma cannon from that. My local store has got theirs in and it looks very cool. I think it should be a good fit.

Starky

Hephesto
10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Interesting news, didn't even know the new Sentinel kit also came with a plasma cannon. Need an extra Sentinal anyway, so this would be a perfect and perhaps even timely solution. Thanks Starky, the input is much appreciated!

Starky
11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Here is a pic of the plasma cannon, it should be a good fit and you get wires to connect as well.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x21/Starky1/Inquisitorial/sentinalsforheph.jpg
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Starky

Hephesto
13-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Certainly does Starky, certainly does. Now to see if I can get the Sentinel kit in time for this month's deadline. Check, no only releases beginning of may. Will have to have a look around for something else or just miss out on some points as those bits do look perfect.

Done with cleaning my apartment again (well kind of anyway), so it's back to Relictors and some War of the Ring movement bases. Going to try and put together the rest of the Assault Squad tonight as well as having another go at that cursed plasma cannon!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r38.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
13-04-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189849

That link is quite ideal for you I think! Deals with the same dread! Post #14 you want to look at. :)

Hephesto
13-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Ooh, completely forgot there's plasma cannons in the Devastator kit. Runs of to check Ebay for the bit!

Thanks for the help Fire Harte, what would I do without you ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
13-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Do something in a much more practical and productive way? :p

Hephesto
16-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Subjugator reinforcements have arrived:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/Subjugators1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/Subjugators2.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
16-04-2009, 12:22 AM
That's pretty spiffy!

In yer face and suits the role they take!

Captain Castus
16-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice jump packs! I recognise them... But can't remember the name of the company...

Where are the head from?

You got a real pre-Heresy look going on there... I like it! :D

CC

Hephesto
16-04-2009, 11:40 AM
First time I've actually mixed bits from different companies! Both the helmets and jump packs are from Maxmini.

Eodred
16-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Pretty dam nice mate!

Don't spose those bits are legal in Grand Tournys are they though?

Cheers
E

Hephesto
16-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Probably not, though in principle minis only need to be 90&#37; GW. So you can always use substitute heads for the guard and stuff like that!

Silver
16-04-2009, 07:22 PM
As long as the mini doesn't deviate too much to become unrecognizable as a citadel miniature, I think it is fine.

Eodred
16-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Excellent, I never knew that!

Thanks for that you two.

Would that extend to the base?
Would you rather I start a new thread to discuss this Heph?

REP
E

Hephesto
16-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Not a problem, not quite sure about the base to be honest. Why, are you looking at some cool casted bases?

Eodred
16-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I have seen some, not recently but I should be able to find them again.

Would you be interested in a link, if I do?

Cheers
E

Hephesto
16-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Of course, always great to see new stuff.

Eodred
16-04-2009, 09:07 PM
First one for you here (http://www.wargamesworkshop.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?CatID=1&DivID=77&GrpID=387)

Would fit nicely with the theme for my army.

Any idea of how I can check the exact rules for non GW bits for GTs?

I don't want my army disqualified for something like that.

Cheers
E

Hephesto
16-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Mmm, there used to be a pdf with tournament guidelines somewhere on the GW site. If that fails a pre-emptive mail to the organizers of an official GW tournament should do the trick. Cool bases you have there, I''ve seen some of their stuff in the flesh and I have to say it really lives up to the beautiful pics!

Eodred
16-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Just found the Tourny rules on the warhammer world site.

They're as good in flesh? I'll have to look into getting some then, depending on what the rules say.

Cheers
E

Hephesto
19-04-2009, 10:24 PM
First of a series of objectives, soon to be followed by a second and some Assault Marines:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/objective.jpg

And the header for my new blog:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q7ChHhhjfIA/SetPqfHp41I/AAAAAAAAAA8/32yWrT-5TqA/S1600-R/header+version2.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
19-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Nice objective and it is great you have put banna man in your little header.

How did you do the book?

Silver
19-04-2009, 10:52 PM
REP time, my friend! Those just look too awesome to be ignored. :)

LAZtheinfamous
19-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Howdja do the flowers, or where they already on the model?

Hephesto
20-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks guys!

@ Firehart:
- started with a chaos black undercoat
- bleached bone for the pages
- brown ink layer, followed by a highlight of 50/50 bleached bone/skulle white
- the book had red gore for its main colour
- this was followed by numerous highlights of red gore / snakebite leather (each succesive layer had more snakebite leather)

@ Silver

Thanks mate, plan to do some serious catching up the coming week and a half. Starting with the Sternguard and Assault Marines, the extra bits for the dread should be coming in this week as well (special thanks to Fire Harte for the idea!)

@ Laz

The flower and vines are indeed already on the mini, it's actually quite detailed and I can greatly recommend it to everybody who's in doubt about getting it. It has a great price and really add a lott of flavor to any kind of scenery project! At the same time one could do them qite easily with green stuff. On only complicated part is the flowerbud!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
20-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Ah my bad mate, I meant how did you make it. :o

But it's good to see you're attemptong to catch up mate. Gotta respect that.

Hephesto
20-04-2009, 01:54 PM
No point in joining an initiative if I don't at least try to stay close to the rest. The book is actually part of the mini, though one could make it yourself as the top seems to be borrowed from an old chaos armour plate from the old vehicle upgrade kit.

Hephesto
28-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Still miles away from catching up, but a new mini has made it into my painting area - the starter Dread. Special thanks to Fire Harte for posting up that like to Fay_redd's thread on warseer. Took some searching online for the bits and some minor cutting, but the result is pretty sweet:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/relictor1-1.jpg

Kishvier
28-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Very cool man!

Marticus
28-04-2009, 10:24 AM
looks great dude

Hephesto
30-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I was hoping to have a nice Queensday (pretty much the biggest Dutch national celebration) afterwhich I would get some painting done. Instead I have been watching the news all day due to the terrible news of this morning link (http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/271776).

Some guy, using his car, broke through 2 security points in the city of Apeldoorn, drove his car through the spectators at full speed, only missing the bus with the Royal Familiy by a few metres. Several dead, many wounded and a day of celebration turned to one of mourning, nationwide festivities are being scaled down and cancelled. Not sure if I'll get around to any forum stuff today as I really want to follow this, especialy since I have family in Apeldoorn!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
30-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Bugger!

Here's hoping everything is OK and stuff.

Hephesto
02-05-2009, 01:10 AM
APRIL UPDATE

And as everybody has undoubtably noticed I'm still lagging behind on my army......still I'm not giving up ;) In fact I managed to finish one of my required slots for this month, dreadnought Invictus. Really happy with how he turned out, that suggestion from Fire Harte about the plasmacannon did wonders!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r39.jpg

I'm also working on the Sternguard and Assault Marines, should have them done in about a week. After that I can finally get started on the Xenos mercs: Barghesi Clone Master (Elites - counts as techmarine and servitors) and a Xenalthian Leviathan (HS - counts as dread). Plenty of stuff still to do, luckily my last exams period have been pushed forward 3 weeks. So I should have time to finally, really catch up. In addition I'll get a nice, Silver-style armypic together once I finish the Sternguard and finish that second fiction chapter!

So that brings my points with up:
- finished on required slot + 3 points
- painted 50% + 1 points
- conversion + 1 point

TOTAL = 19 points.......I'm hoping for a tortoise and the hare situation here ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Sweet as man, Fay_redd is please with your dread. ;)

Hephesto
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Cool, give my thanks to the guy. That thread really helped me get a very annoying little conversion piece out of the way!

Hephesto
10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Ah dang, I'm all out of chaos black. Looks like I'm stuck for a day and a half! Luckily I have plenty of other stuff, may put together a few extra Tyranids ;)

Vulpus Rex
10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Awesome looking dread Heph :) you'll catch Fire Harte yet ;)

Hephesto
11-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Doubtful as he's about a full legion ahead already, won't stop me from trying of course ;)

TheGreatGreyMoose
11-05-2009, 03:38 AM
and WHY EXACTLY has no one insisted i check out this thread??? I do my best to keep up with as much as i can but bloody hell I've been missing out on a treat!

gonna have to adopt your chaos vehicle sprue bolter for my own chaos marine methinks. will definately give you the credit when it makes it into my own WIP.

REP for all of it. I only wish i could give you more. I feel I owe you loads!

Hephesto
11-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks a bunch mate, much appreciated ;) Looks like I'll be making some changes to the army, as I have too much different stuff cluttered in there. Right now we're talking a core of Relictors troops, characters and a vehicle or two, an assault squad from an allied chapter, some Eldar corsair snipers, Barghesi scouts and technicians and a bunch of part machine/part plant creatures. May be too much in a single army, so the plants are (sadly) getting kicked out. Instead I'll be using the open slots to add an extra Barghesi character and warmachine (counts as dread).

Just have to figure out what I'll do with those shotgun-bearing scouts I have in the list. Perhaps make them Barghesi as well, or maybe even some normal Relictor scouts. Never an easy decision in this hobby!

TheGreatGreyMoose
11-05-2009, 11:17 AM
... and a bunch of part machine/part plant creatures...

errrrrrrr? :confused:

Hephesto
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm throwing in a bunch of Xenos mercs, the plant thingies were supposed to be one of my own creation. But these will have to wait until a future army, as there are just a few too many different elements to the army right now ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
It would be like going to an art gallery in Liverpool to make a similie out of it.

Hephesto
14-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Update time, dropping more and more outlandish stuff while adding more Relictors. There's no way of telling where this will go at this point. I do have some early wip on a Relictor techmarine and servitor squad:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r40.jpg
The bits for this guy have come from all over the place; Black Templar robe, Grey Knight halbard, Iron Father servo-arm and one of the new Maxmini heads.

Aiming for something new with the servitors as well, mainly because I don't like the normal ones. So stay tuned for more work on these guys this weekend!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r41.jpg

Tallarn
15-05-2009, 02:23 AM
you need to tweek that back pack for the techmarine. and here are a couple ideas for the servitors... ork meganobz as the base:

http://www.minivault.com/images/MeltaServitorFront.JPG

http://www.minivault.com/images/ServitorBarrelSmall.jpg

http://www.minivault.com/images/ServitorRearSmall.jpg

anyway, food for thought....

Hephesto
15-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Superb idea Tallarn, if only I had a few spare ones. The backpacks does indeed need more work, stuff like wiring, some symbols etc!

TheGreatGreyMoose
15-05-2009, 10:51 PM
looks great! I shall make ready the rep cannon....

Hephesto
15-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Stay tuned for a couple of weekend updates, as well as an armylist revision. Taking a few things out while adding some new stuff ;)

Hephesto
16-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Alrighty, I'm completely overhauling my armylist. Initially I was planning on including 3-5 different xenos mercs and allies from the Subjugator chapter. An idea which on paper looked amazing, but in reality it is turning into a uncoherent mess of squads. So here's the new armylist, month by month. And as you can see I'm somewhat behind , but I'm working on that right now:

Red = Unfinished after deadline (yes, I'm embarrased!). Some of these are the result of this armylist overhaul.
Green = Finished in time
Blue = Not done yet, but still before deadline

Januari: 2 troops

A. Tactical Squad
+ 5 marines
+ missile launcher
+ plasma gun (need to replace to old flamer)
= 180 points

B. Eldar Corsairs (count as sniper scouts)
+ sniper rifles
+ camo cloaks
+ heavy bolter OR missile launcher (1 model for each)
= 100 points

Februari: 1 HQ + 1 Troops

C. Captain
+ CCW and bolter
+ hellfire rounds
= 110 points

D. Scout Squad (10)
+ Heavy Bolter OR Missile Launcher (replacement unit, so haven't decided on the weapon yet).
= 150 points

March: 1 ELITE + 1 own choice

E. Dreadnought with plasmacannon
= 115 points

F. Sternguard Squadron (6)
+ Missile Launcher
+ Razorback
+ Dozerblade
= 200 points

April: 1 HS and 1 FA OR 2 FA

G. Predator Tank
+ extra armour
+ heavy bolter sponsons
= 100 points

H. Subjugator Assault Squad (8)
+ flamer
+ powerfist
= 179 points

May: 1 HS and 1 ELITE OR 2 HS

I. Terminator Squad (6)
+ cyclone launcher
+ chainfist
= 285 points

J. Thunderfire Cannon (not the most practical in this army, but I just love the idea of a really big gun and I want to keep my techmarine!)
= 100 points

June:1 TROOPS + 1 own choice
K. Space Marine Squad
+ Storm Bolter
+ Missile Launcher
= 180 points

L. Librarian
= 100 points

Bringing the total to 1799 points!

Vulpus Rex
16-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Are you going to focus on getting the Blue ones done before the deadline or work back and do the Red stuff? Good luck either way :)

Hephesto
16-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Blue ones first, will at the same time trying to catch up on some of the red stuff. The Eldar Corsairs for example are seconds removed from basecoating, while the Sternguard squad already has 1-2 painted minis! The termies and cannon should be smooth sailing, termies are being painted right now. The cannon is in the early build phase, but it is only 1 mini extra afterall.

Next month's stuff is also getting some early attention, with an extra box of SM bought today and an old Tigerius mini getting scrapped. Same is true for a lott of the other squads, in fact only the scouts and predator excist on paper at this moment. My main problem is finding the time and energy for painting, this is entirely due to my studies and lab job. Running around all day, followed by studying the evening can really wear you down. Almost reached the end though, few more months left ;)

Hephesto
16-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Sweet Horus, a Thundercannon Techmarine has a servo-harnas. Now that adds another big conversion challenge to that unit!

Hephesto
17-05-2009, 03:21 PM
This thunderfirecannon is turning into one seriously tough project, a whole lott of fun though. Parts are drying right now, while some old bits and bobs are getting striped. Need to make a full servo harnas afterall. I really like the GW version of the cannon, but it is a) a tad expensive and b) I should have the skill and bits to make something cool by myself! I'm going for a bit of a mini diorama, mounting the cannon on one of those old large flying bases. This will also give me some space to add some scenery and a servitor or two ;)

In the mean time I'm looking into the stuff of coming month and one of my red, late units - the 10-men strong scout squad. I already have 1 scout box here, while a second one is on order at my friendly, local store. I've already decided I want a heavy bolter in there as I love the mini, but this does leave me with a problem. I wanted to give the squad combat shotguns merely for the sheer coolness factor of the weapons. But shotguns are pretty pointless when combined with a heavy bolter due to their short range. But given that the codex states that any scout can replace his bolter with a serie of other weapon I now intend to do the following:

1. Combat squad 1 (5 men) - includes heavily converted serg and 4 combat shotgun guys.

2. Combat squad 2 (5 men) - anti-personel fire squad with 4 bolters and 1 heavy bolter.

Vulpus Rex
17-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Thunderfire cannon sounds good so far. Any chance of some WIP pics. I did a conversion using a Whirlwind turret and some of the LoTR starter kit terrain. Was too lazy to build an actual cannon :rolleyes:

Hephesto
17-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Pics coming later tonight, absolutely clueless about the chassis so far. So there's no telling how far I'll get today ;)

Hephesto
17-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Picture time, first up the early work on the thunderfire servitors. These guys will go unto the base the cannon will be mounted on:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r42.jpg

Then we have the techmarine, who's getting closer and closer to completion. I was suprised to find so many different servo-like bits in the box. The service harnas (so far) consists of a standard SM backpack, a vox caster bit, an oop Iron Father servo-arm, Iron Warrior Chaos Lord servo-arm and a converted arm from Fabius Bile.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r43.jpg

And finally we have a serious over the top conversion wip on the actual cannon. Nothing but the barrel segment so far, not sure what to do with the undercarriage. But more on that tomorrow and tuesday evening ;)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/R44.jpg

LAZtheinfamous
17-05-2009, 11:02 PM
As for the undercarriage, I would suggest using a bunch of the one-two regular tracks glued together. That way its not too big or too small.

Hephesto
17-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Great idea Laz! I was messing about with those old Ork biker tracks, but they are just a tad too small for this monster!

UltraAdam
18-05-2009, 12:00 AM
doing good heph

keep up the good work.

Hephesto
22-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I think I've officially reached a new level of sanity with this thunderfire conversion. The thing and servitors won't even fit on a heavy team base anymore , had to cut up the lid of a static grass container! Pics coming later tonight, which will include:
- nearly done techmarine
- finished ballistics servitor
- nearly done engineering servitor
- nearly done thunderfire cannon (undercarriage is still causing problems)
- and possibly the first look at next month's scout unit, which will be 50% normal scouts and 50% veterans in scout armour

Vulpus Rex
22-05-2009, 05:41 PM
the thunderfire cannon was looking really impressive, can't wait to see it finished

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
22-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I think you should use some form of legs for the undercarriage. ;)

Hephesto
23-05-2009, 12:32 AM
And update time, well picture time really. Too beat for another windy post ;)

The cannon itself, I know the barrel is slightly crooked. This has been corrected by now:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r45.jpg

Ballistics servitor, he'll be looking up at the monitor screen on the cannon:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r46.jpg

And the engineering servitor, the thing needs some tune-ups every now and then of course. Both of them will be attached to the cannon's base, but this way they will be easier to paint:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r47.jpg

Tough to see right now, but all of this precisely fits unto the new base. And as you guys undoubtably notice, they aren't done just yet. Most likely they will take another day for fine detailing, green stuff and other things I've missed.

LAZtheinfamous
23-05-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm glad those tank tracks worked out so well. What did you use as the, for lack of a better term, base? After the barrell, but before the track assembly?

Hephesto
23-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Two spare armour plates from the baneblade glued to the insides of the tracks. Russ track guards for the top and leftover armour plates to fill up the holes. The tracks worked out great indeed, thanks a bunch for suggesting it!

Marticus
23-05-2009, 10:25 AM
excellent heph!

Kishvier
23-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Very nice work man!

Captain Castus
23-05-2009, 02:26 PM
That cannon is awesome! Great work... :D

CC

Hephesto
23-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks, it's going to be pure hell to paint though. These guys may be the most challenging so far, add to that that I have 0 ideas on how to paint the servitors. Ah well, I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go along!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Go for really pale flesh or even a different none-fleshy colour.

I like your tank tracks and the idea is stolen for my models. Is there any idea of yours I don't steal!?

Hephesto
24-05-2009, 02:36 PM
:D, well the full credits of this one goes to LAZtheinfamous. Those silly, small, old warbike tracks definitely didn't do the trick ;)

Hephesto
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Just a quick headsup that I'm too busy to get me review up today, should be done tomorrow evening though. Tons of shiny pics, excuses for nothing finishing and mumbled promises coming asap :p

The Commodore
02-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Try Graveyard Earth for the servitor skin, I tried it on one of mine and it came up pretty good..., just the right amount of pallour.

Hephesto
02-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I was indeed planning on mixing a good deal of graveyard earth and rotting flesh (or whatever it is called) through the skintone.

Marticus
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
superb work dude! as usual

Hephesto
02-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Mart, now if I could only find the time and focus to actually finish a 4th unit ;)

UltraAdam
05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
well lets all hope you get done soon so we could see some picks.

Hephesto
06-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Life keeps throwing up roadblocks, I'll have a sizeable update by tonight though. Just need to go to the store to buy some more superglue to save from wip scouts who had a very rough time in public transport ;)

Hephesto
07-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Update time, silly camera had to recharge first. Well I'm once more behind and it is now virtually impossible that I'll finish this 'army' (perhaps I should just call it a kill-team) in time. Regardless, I'm sticking with these guys till I get the entire lott sorted. Looks like Christmas would have been a more realistic deadline ;)

But alright, first of an overview of last month. First I rewrote half my armylist in order to get some more stuff in there and to get rid of some of those xenos mercs. Some visual variety is one thing, but 7-8 different factions and races in a single army is just madness. So now we're looking at a 80% Relictors army with a single allied assault squad from the Subjugator chapter and some Eldar corsairs / pathfinders. One of the new things was a thundefire cannon, something I wanted in the army for two reasons. First of I'd initially planned a techmarine with servitor squad, the armylist re-write got rid of them. I had already partially converted the techmarine and I really liked to keep him in the army. Secondly this 'forced' me to give building a cannon from scratch a try. It was a rather big challenge and took a ton of bits, but the result is quite decent if I dare say so myself:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r53.jpg

Then there are the terminators, which were rather unplanned for last month. So their painting is somewhat behind, in fact we're talking undercoat and basecoat. Nothing more just yet:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r52.jpg

And they're on wait for a week or two, I plan to first take care of the stuff I have planned for my final month. All in a last ditch effort of making some points of course. First up the wip Librarian, based on the old Tigerius model:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r49.jpg

And then we have a second squad of basic Space Marines, the normal troopers aren't all that exciting really. Nothing more then some minor battle damage, some cool helmets and a view chaos shoulderpads made less chaosy. The paintjob and basing is what's going to make them fit in with the rest to form a solid fighting core:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r50.jpg
Their heavy weapon guy and sergeant are somewhat more exotic though:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r51.jpg

And finally here's a sneakpeek at one of the new units that made it into the armylist. Some scouts, which I've decided I'll remodel to have a more adult and less bulky look than the normal scouts. Like to think of these guys as more of a Wolf Scout team, it's going to be though to find 10 heads for them though:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r48.jpg

Crits, comments, praise and humiliating remarks about my apocalyptically slow progres as always much appreciated!

LAZtheinfamous
07-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Crits, comments, praise and humiliating remarks about my apocalyptically slow progres as always much appreciated!

Hephesto updates so slowly that glaciers pass him by.

Hephesto updates so rarely, that the World Wildlife Federation has put his updates on the 'endangered species list'.

Hephesto updates so little that they have to look up to Frodo.

Hephesto takes so much time to update that my kids are getting out of school and when he started it, they were in Kindergarten.

Hephesto updates make me happy. I always enjoy seeing them, because they are always very creative. While they may not be the most frequent (cough-Fire Harte-cough), they are well worth the wait. I especially like the Chaos Rhino havoc launcher on the back of the chaos terminator. A really characterful idea and seems to work really well.

Tallarn
07-06-2009, 02:52 AM
I think you just won the sarcasm award. ;)

Hephesto
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Well I did ask for it :D

Silver
07-06-2009, 01:15 PM
And since they come from LAZ, we can rest assured that they are good natured :)

Hephesto
09-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Update time! For this month, which for our other 2 actived participants will be their final month, has me tackling a second HQ character and a Troops choice. And I can cross one more of the list - the librarian is all done. I'm rather unhappy with the pics below, so expect some better ones later this week. For some odd reason all the bone areas and brighter metallics look really flat, messed up lighting I suspect.

Based on the old Tigerius mini this fellow had most of his face shaved off in order to add a bone mask. The idea for this came from one of the Horus Heresy card, which had some Wordbearer character on it with such a mask. The staff top was cut of as well and replaced with the that of Kyrinov's staff:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r54.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r56.jpg

And here's a quick pic of the entire army so far, of course using the term army in its broadest sense. And for your viewing pleasure we have both under- and overlighted pics ;)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r57.jpg

Next up I need to decide which group to take on next. It has to be a Troops choice, so I can pick between the scouts or second SM squad. Though I could leave both of them for later and finish the Eldar Corsairs first (count as snipr scouts). I still need to do basing on all 3 of the units, so all of them are pretty much at the same point. Save for the scouts, need to get more glue to finish the last 4. Completely undecided so far, so any suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated. Same goes for colourscheme ideas for the Corsairs:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/tale%20of%20x%20gamers%202008-2009/update3-10.jpg

Hephesto
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Just had a weird realization, once I finish this Troops choice I'll have an actual playable, legal army! ....which is only about half finished of course >_<

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-06-2009, 01:55 PM
That's good! :D

Really go for it getting those tacticals done mate. I think you could do it.

Even if your result was nowhere near mine you'll have the goal achieved that you have a playable army. Which is what you wanted. ;)

Hephesto
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Quite right, though I fully intend to finish the rest as well. Once I get that second Troops choice finished things could go fast. Sternguard, termies, assault marines and a final troops choice are all ready for basing and painting. The only things left are two vehicles and 5 scouts, might even make it within 2 months (after the deadline) :D

Hephesto
09-06-2009, 02:31 PM
So what do you guys think, who should be next:

A. Second Tactical Squad

B. Scout Squad

C. Eldar Corsairs (count as Sniper Scouts)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Tactical squad

UltraAdam
10-06-2009, 12:40 AM
For the Corsairs I think you should paint them mainly red withblackdetails.

C.Corsairs

Little Kishi
10-06-2009, 01:37 AM
i would say black and red are good colors for corsairs too.

LAZtheinfamous
10-06-2009, 02:09 AM
For the Corsairs I think you should paint them mainly red withblackdetails.

C.Corsairs

i would say black and red are good colors for corsairs too.

Hmmm. This is funny. Very funny. I don't know WHY it stricks me so funny, but it does...

Consadine
10-06-2009, 03:42 AM
You just did some Tactical guys... switch it up with the Corsairs :D

Hephesto
11-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Boring update time, helps to keep me motivated to do at least one new things for this projet every day. Based all the remaining stuff and applied a second sealing coat to make certain the gravel stays on the bases:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r58.jpg

Told you it would be boring ;)

Ossai
11-06-2009, 01:20 AM
YAY Sealant and Gravel, fun stuff.

Looking foreward to another update Heph.

Consadine
11-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Booooooooring! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I jest, this is important stuff. Any particular reason there's a pot of paint upside down in the background?

Hephesto
21-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Managed to get some basic colour work done in between studying for my last exam (possibly ever). For those who dislike purple, look away now ;)

I know they look like messed up cartoon villains right now, but just wait for shading etc! I went for the red/purple combo as I used to have a Dark Eldar army using those colours. The purple also fits in nicely with some of the details on the Relictor characters. Additional it makes they look different from normal Eldar, without doing to far/evil.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r59.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/hephesto555666/Relictors/r60.jpg