PDA

View Full Version : Silver's Log

Silver
30-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi everybody and welcome to my little place. Here, over the course of the next few months, you will see the gradual development of my army for the Tale of 8 Gamers project. This will not only include pics of my assembled and (partly) painted models, but also a log regarding my general progress at the end of each month, as well as a piece of fiction and - if I have the time - a battlereport.

My army is going to be Tau Empire, I still cannot decide between white, red or desert Tau, I will post up these 3 paint schemes on my Troops choice in the next couple of days which will help me decide. Overall, the army I have in mind is an anti-light infantry + anti-tank oriented non-mecha Tau, as I despise trading 8 valuable Firewarriors for 1 Devilfish transport when, in 5th edition, all your infantry can sprint additional D6 inches every turn!

I might change my opinion over the course of the months though, so stay tuned!

Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
30-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Hmm, I remember a thread you had asking for advice, I shall go find it andf leave a comment here.

All of your schemes are pretty good and will have a nice overall look. Although I will reccomend the paint scheme which is easiest for you and has less drain on the fun of the project.

But yes, sounds good so far. I eagerly await pics!

Silver
31-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Here's my paint scheme (almost decided to do this one), so that you guys will get a better idea how my white Tau are gonna look like:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/fwphp.jpg

-Silver

Eodred
31-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Excellent, you made the right choice :D

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
31-12-2008, 09:40 PM
It is gonna look cool silver I tell ye!

Hephesto
01-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Very nice indeed, lovely hint at the clone troopers ;)

The Vulture
01-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Very nice indeed, lovely hint at the clone troopers ;)

I was thinking the same thing...

Nice Silver!

Starky
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks very nice silver, i wish you luck with all that white.

Starky

The Dim Reaper
01-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice, I always liked this colour scheme since CoD came out back when they fought with the Vestroyens (sp?) for Medusa V.

Yeah all that white will be a pain though, I'm painting it atm and although I think I finally have the right mix but it took me about an hour of retries :o

Good luck good sir :)

Cheers,

Dim

Kishvier
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Vestroyens (sp?)

I believe its spelled Vostroyens? I dunno.

Good luck Silver, it looks like there are some sweet armies being made. Now if only my spray primer was working...:mad:

Silver
03-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks all for your kind and encouraging words. The reason for the delay (compared to some of my fellow competitors frenzied mettle, with which they are finishing their monthly requirement at amazing speed), the study for an upcoming math exam has temporarily halted my progress. Within a week from today though, I shall build and post the first pics!

Cheers,
-Silver

Kishvier
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
The reason for the delay (compared to some of my fellow competitors frenzied mettle, with which they are finishing their monthly requirement at amazing speed)

Who? Fire Harte? He doesn't count. He has far too much free time on his hands unlike some of us.

Hephesto
03-01-2009, 03:57 AM
No worries mate, same goes for me. Two more deadlines and exams coming week, but plenty of time after that!

Marticus
03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
liking the colour scheme dude :)

Nomad
03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Best of luck with that exam Silver.

Best of luck with the Competition.

Thanks for organising this, should be great fun.

The Commodore
03-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Interesting..., I await an update.

Silver
05-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen and Dyp, let me proudly present to you my workspace for the next six months, along with the box out of which I will assemble January's required FoC slots, being 2 troops.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851099.jpg

I have decided that for January, my 2 troops choices will be as follows:

8 Firewarriors, all armed with Pulse rifles.

10 Kroot Warriors, all armed with Kroot rifles.

Oh and here's the nice web-exclusive collector's miniature that came along with my Christmas order:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851104.jpg

Still deciding for a color scheme for this guy! :p Stay tuned!
-Silver

Hephesto
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Looking forward to those commies, uhm Tau. From tuesday my stuff will get a real kickstart, my store will have shadow grey again and I might pick up a razorback while I'm at it. Or I might just convert a rhino myself, not sure yet ;)

LAZtheinfamous
09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Eh, this came a little late, but I'm going to subscribe here. And all the rest.

Silver
09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Alright good evening friends,

after today's exam (well it went ok, as always - one never has enough time in a math exam :rolleyes:) I unpacked my battleforce and went on an assembling spree - don't worry, I only assembled 8 Fire Warriors :p. All armed with Pulse Rifles because I consider these as superior in every way over Pulse Carbines, which are only useful if used in conjunction with Pathfinders firing markerlights that lower the target enemy squad's LD for pinning tests by -1. Anyhow, here's my first Fire Warrior.

S5 gun, 4+ armor save, rapid-fire and 30'' range all for 10 points!

More pics coming up first thing tomorrow!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851108.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851109.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851111.jpg

I know - I still need to get rid of the mold lines, but hey - first model of my new army! :)
-Silver

Arkaedin
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
LOL my first thought was AUGH MOLD LINES and then I saw yor comment at the bottom :D

I look forward to seeing the scheme on them!

Kishvier
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I have a maths exam soon on the 20th... :(

I have a health, math, AP English, Science, Global, and Health exams.:(

Silver
11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Okay folks, update here. I painted 2 of my Firewarriors with two different schemes, I think I'll stick with the white one, but just for comparison again:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851112.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851113.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851114.jpg

Note: The light makes it look orangeish, but it is actually pure Blood Red.
Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Most awesome work silver. So white guns?

Thanks! :D

The Commodore
11-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Not too bad at all.

LAZtheinfamous
11-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice. I prefere the white one myself.

Edit: LIke the new avatar? What's the story, or do I not want to know?

Hephesto
11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Like the white ones best as well, so it begins for Silver ;)

UltraAdam
11-01-2009, 03:31 PM
like the white keep on going

p.s. the orange er red one can be sergant of firewariors;)

Arkaedin
11-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Ooohhhh!! You did the white very well it looks like! get a squad done in that scheme and expect some rep!

Trygon
11-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Defiantly the white one. It is rather unique. Also, thin your paints down. Tons. It looks really clumpy and pasty right now.

Silver
11-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Defiantly the white one. It is rather unique. Also, thin your paints down. Tons. It looks really clumpy and pasty right now.

As in applying multiple thinner coats than 1-2 thicker ones or as in using water?

Trygon
11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
As in using multiple watered down coats of white instead of one thick coat. Also the whole point of using thin coats is so that you don't have to use thicker ones. If your using a black undercoat I suggest using fortress grey as the armour undercoat and then build up to pure white via thin coats.

Captain Castus
11-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I prefer the white one too...

As for painting white... Rather than painting multiple thin layers of white I'd use Codex grey, fortress grey, then skull white in thin layers... It covers better that way...

Or alternatively the foundation grey (?name) with white over it...

CC

Silver
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Trial Of Fire - Part 1

Tau Empire - January's fiction by Silver
999 words (source: http://www.wordcounttool.com/)

A pearl of sweat that had been, to my annoyance, sitting on my brow for far too long finally slid along the side of my face and was soon lost beneath the fabric of my red Ria'tan – my ceremonial robe, which I had previously only worn for my father's funeral. I had trouble controlling my breathing for today was, after all, the last day of training. The High Council of Bork'an, my home Sept, had announced that mobilization of several Cadres was underway, and our military academy had eagerly volunteered to supply detachments of recruits for the Cadres' depleting reserves due to an ongoing campaign against the Empire's enemies. I did not know why they were depleting, though. I was hoping for the best – that the Shas'la of the reserves had been accepted into the main Cadres. All Shas'saal who were to pass today's final field exam would be the next candidates and I was one of the participants who had worked hard enough during the past years of training to be hand picked by our tutor for this exam.

My mother had always done her best to help me on the long and rocky road to where I was standing today. Especially after the death of my father on Tash'var during an Ork raid on one of our outposts during the Second Phase Expansion, the only way poor mother could overcome her grief was to make me what my father has always wanted me to become – a Shas'la Fire Warrior. Born into the Fire Caste is not something to be envied at. We have the most difficult role to fulfill, are unjustly under the constant envy and distrust of other castes for our renown hotheadedness. There are few males in our caste who don't choose the Path of the Warrior and most of these are working for the military indirectly in one way or the other. Yet I – I was different. Water had always been my element. I used to play outside whenever it rained during the few months of summer Bork'an enjoyed every rotaa. While other children my age were awed by fire I was always fascinated by the beauty of ever flowing water – how it sparkled in the light and froze to icy beauty when the days grew cold. It was my dream of entering one of the many Bork'an academies and gain at least a drop of the vast ocean of knowledge that was being stored behind the opaque doors of these institutions. During my schooling I always did well in my studies, was quiet and contemplative, had few friends and especially in my younger years, was being made fun of for not joining my kin when they ganged up on water and earth caste kids for some bashing. Perhaps this explains why my few friends were from these two other castes. Even their parents admired and, at the same time, worried about my different nature whenever I was invited over. Whenever my father wasn't on off-world duty, he was drilled me. Exercising, hand-to-eye coordination, conditioning – and my mother used to support him reluctantly. But after his death she gave up all support she had for my dream of becoming a scholar and convinced me to become a warrior – at least for the sake of my father.

For my beloved mother's sake I crushed my dreams and hopes and turned to the grim future that awaited me. To please my mother I joined the Fio'res military academy after schooling finished and was subject to jeers and jabs after fellow Shas'saal noticed my true character. Yet over the months I developed – I changed – I grew fiercer, too. I guess one can say that the spirit of my Caste's ancestors finally awakened in me and I grew more resolute than ever before. I exercised every day, trained myself in the martial arts, started to fare better and better with my military tutors, bested those who had once made fun of me and my circle of friends grew – this time, they were fellow Shas'saal. Thus, I learned the acquaintance of Shas'saal Bork'an Doran, a tau devoted fiercely to the Greater Good, of Shas'saal Bork'an B'kak, a friendly and heartfelt companion coming from the countryside and Shas'saal Bork'an Cha, a grim warrior who had only become my friend because his father knew mine well and had forced his son to. We had been told that if we passed the test we would be joining the reserves of one of the Cadres still stationed on Bork'an. They were saying in the news that the Cadres were departing in three rotaas – where, we didn't know.

It was noon. Styr'keth, Bork'an's star was high in the sky and the heat was getting nigh unbearable. Yet we had to stand in rank and order – fourteen trainees, some younger, some older than me. I barely knew anyone except for Doran, B'kak and Cha. We had been lucky enough to be assigned together for this trial. Suddenly, the symbol of our world in the center of the white double doors started to turn until we heard a click and the doors of the academy's training dome finally opened with a hiss, pressurized steam blowing into our faces. All I could make out as the smoke cleared, was darkness. Nevertheless, we shuffled in and cool air greeted me. Before my eyes could grow accustomed to the dim bluish light inside, the doors closed behind us, the lights turned on and the entire dome was properly lit. The interior surface of the dome was made up of hundreds of hexagonal shaped white panels, and the floor we were standing on was of a black, glass-like material I couldn't identify. Regardless, each of us knew one thing for sure: all that we had learned until this day would be put to the test. This was the only chance I had to bring pride to my father's name. I prayed to the Greater Good that I would not fail.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I bestow thee 2 points for a rather nice piece of fiction!* :)

*We can't have bias now can we?

Nomad
12-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Love the story. The first person perspective works well, especially when well written, as this is! (should be worth 3 points not 2, but, eh, who's counting?)

Eodred
19-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Nice, keep going.

E

Starky
19-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Have some REP gentle sir, that is very good, keep it up.

Starky

Silver
24-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Time for another update, lads. It takes an hour for me (roughly) to paint (and base) each model. Needless to say, I am proud of my work; the white color scheme/snowy look turned out pretty well. Hereby I present to you my finished eight Warriors of Fire!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851119.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851120.jpg

Will get to assembling teh Kroot tomorrow! :o

Cheers,
-Silver

Captain Castus
24-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Or alternatively the foundation grey (?name) with white over it...

It's Astronomican Grey! lol... The irony... :D

Anyway... Nice Tau! Have some REP...

CC

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Pretty well done there mate!

I'll rep you if you finish the kroot on time! :)

Hephesto
24-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Lovely work Silver, you're absolutely right to be proud about these guys. Can't wait to see some vehicles in this colourscheme, should look fantastic!

Carrelio
24-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Alright! Way to rock the greater good!

Starky
24-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Nice work silver, very cool fire warriors. The white works well and the black gives some definition tot he plates of armour and it does well at breaking up the white. I would however suggest highlighting the flesh a bit more, it would make it look cooler.

Starky

Eodred
24-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice, REP given.

Wish I could get an effect that good for that little time :o

Cheers
E

Silver
24-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks very much guys; painted Kroot coming up next week! :D

I've decided to paint their skin red for a good contrast to the rest of my white army.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Red Wunz go Fasta! :D

Silver
24-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Red Wunz go Fasta! :D

Speaking of red...I forgot to add the thin red stripes on Firewarriors' helmets and guns as squad/sept markings (you know)...doing them tomorrow.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Ah yes! I kinda like this the way it is, I think it would detract from the clean-camo you're using. But either way it is your call mate!

The Commodore
25-01-2009, 01:06 AM
We'll just have to wait and see then....

Silver
25-01-2009, 04:19 PM
As promised, sept markings on the Fire Warrior squad have been applied:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851134.jpg

Right now, I'm assembling my Kroot, four are already done:

Front view:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851129.jpg

Rear view:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851133.jpg

I am amazed with how much apparel one sprue containing 4 Kroot came with, so I decided to glue them all. :D I still have one head, one krootrifle and some arms (with guns) left - might be useful for my Black Templar/Eldar basing :D

-Silver

LAZtheinfamous
25-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Those are some clean free hand sept markings there, Silver. Nice work. Watch this space...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
25-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Kroot are lookin' magnificent man!

What do ya know? THe sept markings are quite alright! :)

Silver
26-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I've finished assembling my Kroot, and what do you know - I really like the models! Tall, elegant and they have that tribal Native American aspect to them, coupled with funny/adorable birdy, beaky mouths :)

Next four:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851143.jpg

Final four:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851140.jpg

Groupshot (dammit, 12th guy is outta the picture. I knew they were sneaky and all, but...):
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851137.jpg

Totally I've assembled 12, but have stated that I'll only paint 10 for the month already, since my all my armylists, I can only use 10 before I run out of points for other good stuff ;) So if I have the time, I might paint all 12, otherwise expect 10 to be painted by this Saturday.

Cheers - and good hunting,
-Silver :)

The Commodore
27-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Will be interesting to see what you come up with mate.

Are you going to paint them traditionally, or do you have another scheme in mind??

Your posing is good to, the guy with rifle above his head looks particularly menacing.

Silver
27-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Are you going to paint them traditionally, or do you have another scheme in mind??

I've decided to paint their skin red for a good contrast to the rest of my white army.

;)

Marticus
27-01-2009, 11:27 AM
kroot... adorable...... what on earth dude!!!

The Commodore
27-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I must have super missed that somewhere Silver sorry mate. :o

Nomad
27-01-2009, 12:46 PM
kroot... adorable...... what on earth dude!!!

Compared to Orks, Flayed Ones and Plague Bearers maybe...:eek:

Silver
31-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, well time passes so quickly, doesn't it? Being in the last school year before university doesn't make things any easier...but perhaps that's what makes this competition so challenging for me! As all of you might have already guessed, I chose to collect the Tau Empire, because I like futuristic aliens, lots of firepower and big guns! The scheme I decided to go with resembles Bork'an, with a black undercoat instead of greyish-blue and red sept markings for Tau and white for Kroot. Appropriately, the army has snow-themed basing - basically it involves painting the base Skull White and then applying a layer of PVA glue before dunking the mini in a bowl of modelling snow (http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/modelling-snow-tub-220ml.html).

My Troops choices for January were eight Firewarriors with pulse rifles and ten Kroot Carnivores. Pulse carbines and photon grenades didn't really suit me, as there are only few occasions when they are worth their salt. EMP grenades was a no-no for me, as the chance of my Firewarriors getting within charging range of a tank is very, very slim. Since I want to use the Kroot as a pillbox unit (stay in cover, preferably woods and shoot), a Shaper was unnecessary. I'm not planning to add Kroothounds or Krootox in the future either, due to money factor, lack of appeal%2

Silver
31-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Here's my Kroot, I added a Bolter and a Space Marine head to the gear they carry along with them for a little diversity!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851147.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851149.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851150.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851152.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851144.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851146.jpg

-Silver

Marticus
31-01-2009, 04:00 PM
nice kroot! i like the boltguns they have borrowed lol have some rep dude like the work!

Silver
31-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Participant has expanded his army as required (January: 2 Troops): 6 points
Painting: 100% models painted (8 Firewariors, 10 Kroot): 5 points
Bonus points (Fiction written): 2 points

TOTAL: 13 points

-Silver

The Xenocide
08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Looks good so far Silver. I'm especially liking the colour scheme, never knew white fire warriors would look so cool. REP is heading your way ;).

Keep up the good work, hoping to see some more fantastic models soon :D.

LAZtheinfamous
08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey, Silver. I dig the bags on the red Kroot. Was that snakebite with lots of Devlan mud or another method?

Silver
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey, Silver. I dig the bags on the red Kroot. Was that snakebite with lots of Devlan mud or another method?

Snakebite Leather, sometimes mixed with either skull white or chaos black for lighter/darker shades respectively.

Looks good so far Silver. I'm especially liking the colour scheme, never knew white fire warriors would look so cool. REP is heading your way ;).

Keep up the good work, hoping to see some more fantastic models soon :D.

Thanks mate, will get around to assembling my HQ coming weekend. :)

-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Here I sit, expecting an update. :(

UltraAdam
11-02-2009, 10:40 PM
and over here your yelling at heph because he updated interesting...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
That's 'cause I was shocked 'cause he never updates mate! :D

Silver
15-02-2009, 04:37 PM
You asked for an update and ye shall receive one. Had a busy and tough week and I'm glad I finally got around to assembling my HQ. Here he is, Commander Lightblade, in all his glory :):

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851148.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851149.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851151.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851152.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851153.jpg

As you might have already guessed, he is armed with an airbursting fragmentation projector, a cyclic ion blaster and a shield generator. He also has hard-wired stimulant injector, multi-tracker and drone controller under his armor. I still have to assemble the lone gun drone which will be accompanying him. The lone gun drone is there to intercept any S8 AP2 weaponry that will be directed against him to prevent insta-kill at least until the next shot. The shield generator and stimulant injector make for great survivability and his weapons have the sole purpose of slaughtering infantry like there's no tomorrow.

I'm still playing with the idea of replacing his shield with a targeting array and another drone - but that will require me to purchase a bonding knife as otherwise if I fail the leadership test after losing both drones, the commander will run away (as less than 50% of the original 3 members are alive) and won't be able to regroup at all :p. We'll see :)

Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
15-02-2009, 07:16 PM
You've no idea hw imposing that first pic is do you Silv?* :D

An excellent choice in dakka there mate, you have got the multi tracker have you not?

I agree on the second drone as strength 8 can come in multiples quite often.

EDIT: Sorry for the late reply; headache and Rhino/Russ hybrid distracted me...

scribe
15-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Commander lego legs himself :).

Look forward to seeing him painted, silver.

Silver
20-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Trial Of Fire - Part 2

Tau Empire - February's fiction by Silver
999 words (source: http://www.wordcounttool.com/)

A door at the top of a small staircase that led into the sidewall hissed open and three figures, all clad in white robes, descended. "Greetings, Shas'Saal. We'll be judging your performance today. This dome is essentially our battle simulator. Gathering data sent to Bor'kan from the Cadres fighting at the forefront of our glorious campaign, the Battledome is constantly updated with better versions of enemy A.I. Ah, I'm already rambling, yes? Your enemy will be the Gue'la. The last two survivors will leave this facility as true heroes. May the Greater Good be with you, young warriors."

One of the three elderly Shas pressed a button and the lights began to dim. As they faded from view, my breathing quickened. It is hard to describe what happened next - within a few seconds, I was almost overcome with dizziness as tall buildings appeared from nowhere, concrete and rubble jutting out of the floor and the sky lighting up to an orange hue. It suddenly felt harder to breathe and my arms were burdened with a weight that wasn't there seconds ago. I looked down to find myself - as well as the others, who were likewise startled - staring at my body covered in white Bork'an Firewarrior armor and holding a pulse rifle. It took only seconds before we had regained our composure and were scanning our surroundings. I was still awed to find myself staring at a war torn city with tall, dark alien buildings bearing symbols of a double-headed winged creature; metal lanterns and cracked streets pockmarked with deep craters.

"Where are they?", B'kak whispered at my side. "THERE!", Doran shrieked, pointing at a lone figure standing at the crest of a ruin. As one, our rifles locked on to the alien, eyes focusing on the 10x magnified image through our scopes. The figure was wearing leather boots, brown fatigues and was smoking what seemed to be a cigar, sneering at us. He then pulled an ancient looking metal weapon - a sword - and pressing a button, sent crackling energies along the length of the blade. The Gue'la threw his cigar away with a last puff of smoke. "FOR THE EMPEROR!!" He bellowed "CHAAAAARGE!!!!" Seemingly out of nowhere, twenty Gue'la leapt from behind the crest and charged at our position, beams of red light splashing us as they fired their weapons. Cries erupted from our midst as the laser beams tore holes through our armor and ate through flesh. "Shas'Saal RETURN FIRE!!!" Cha bellowed through the confusion. A volley of Pulse fire greeted the attackers and punched fist-sized holes through their armor, resulting in fountains of blood as the guardsmen dropped to the ground in droves, some still clutching their torsos with agony. But we had felled only six.

"BROTHERS! FIRE AT WILL!!!" Cha cried as more of us fell to their laser beams. Into the hail of pulse fire the Guardsmen ran, like lambs into the slaughterhouse. Their armor tore and vaporized, what followed was red mist that soon splashed on the white armor of my kin. And then they were upon us. Litanies praising some unknown deity on their lips, the Gue'la hacked and slashed at us with their bayonets and we returned fire from point-blank range. One particular frenzied human grabbed my throat and lifted me into the air. Struggling for breath, my pulse rifle fell to the ground as my hands reached for my throat, muscles straining against his deadly grip. I kicked as hard as I could into his gut and the man buckled, giving me the moment's chance to grab his head and twist it with a loud snap. Wrestling with the aliens, some of my brothers were not as lucky. Still, many of the humans were sprawled on the ground, 'Saal firing into their bodies to deal the final blow.

Then, the general came.

Swinging fatal blows with his power weapon, he started to mutilate one 'Saal after another. Grim-faced, Cha looked at me. "He's mine." His well aimed shot was simply parried by the general's sword and the next thing I knew, I was the only one left alive. I ran. Leaping over ruined buildings, panicking, searching for cover like some weak animal. "The Emperor thirsts for your blood, alien!", I heard the madman yell as he chased after me. I tripped over the rubble. It seemed to take an eternity as I lost balance and fell clumsily on the hard, jagged debris. And then, he was upon me. I could smell the sweat in his face and see the madness in his eyes as he raised his power weapon for the killing blow. "Looks like you ain't even a match for a small warband of the Guard.", he sniggered and the blade fell and impaled my beating heart. My vision faded, the last thing I could see was his limp body sliding off mine, smoke emanating from his back and a desperate Doran grabbing hold of my hand, his mouth moving to form words, but my ears could hear no more.

I regained consciousness as the lights went on again. My vision sharpened and I could make out similarly disoriented Shas'Saal getting up and looking around to find themselves at perfect health in the Battledome. The examiners had made their way towards us and were grim faced. "Bravo.", one of them remarked. "Any better and we might as well send all of you to die there." "You two!" another pointed at me and Doran. "Congratulations that you were the last to fall. That's why you have won, not because of your battle prowess." Doran and I were torn between shame and extreme joy. We had made it. We of all people had been chosen. Cha gave me a grim look before departing with the others as the doors leading outside reopened. Thus, my story as a Firewarrior had truly begun.

Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
20-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice mate, another 2 points for you! I only suggest the things in bold you maybe put in itallics. :)

Silver
22-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Here's my next batch of Firewarriors, folks. Notice their gear for close combat, kindly "borrowed" from spare Kroot rifles. :) This leaves me with seven days left to paint eight miniatures. My commander is receiving his final touchés as we speak, I really put a lot of work into his paintjob. Stay tuned!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851154.jpg

-Silver

Kishvier
22-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I await eagerly!

Hephesto
22-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Looking forward to that commander Silver, nice job on the Fire Warriors as well!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
22-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Same here, hurry up and post! :D

Eodred
25-02-2009, 06:48 PM
How're they doing?

Are you planning on painting them the same as the others?

Cheers
E

Silver
25-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Are you planning on painting them the same as the others?

My second Firewarrior squad will of course be in line with Bor'kan's white colorscheme. However, to differentiate one squad from another, I'll paint the Tau symbols on their left shoulderpads red instead of the previous blue.

UltraAdam
28-02-2009, 01:22 PM
The first pic of commander whats his name looks like i'm a small marine and he's about to squash me:D

Silver
28-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Good afternoon friends, my work has finally reached its completing stages; I'm finishing the last few Firewarriors, so pics of them should (and must) be up by tomorrow. Here's Commander Shas'el Bork'an "Lightblade" and his accompanying Gun Drone, the project I've been working on for the whole of last week; a NMM (non-metallic metal) Chrome Crisis suit. I'm satisfied with the results as after all - it was my first attempt at this new and challenging technique of painting. Stay tuned!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851160.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851155.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851156.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851157.jpg

Cheers,
-Silver

scribe
28-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Great effort, Silver!

I would advise thinning down the highlights. Quite simply, they take away from the NMM. Finer, smaller highlights will go down much better. The NMM itself is actually really well done. Especially for a first attempt.

I think a darker blue would go down much better than the lighter one you have currently. That should be fairly easy. I am not suggesting you go back and work on this now; I am aware you have other things you want to finish, but when you get some time, have a look at it because I think the model could be that bit better and do justice to the NMM more than it does now just by altering the things I mention.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
28-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm not convinced it is NMM but it looks much better than my first attempt I have to say. It's the fact that you haven't blended the colours more precisely and that you haven't thinned your paints. However, a jolly good surprise indeed. REP once the fire panzies are painted and posted. :D

Silver
28-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Last update of February. You have to forgive me - photobucket crashed on me while I was trying to bulk-upload the image (along with others for an upcoming school web project):

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851161.jpg

Red squad Tau-symbol markings and a couple of close combat attachments on their rifles set this squad apart from my previous one.

Review of February

February....the shortest month of the year and it isn't even leap year this time around. On a positive side, there was barely any school work to do, so I had more time to work on my models. The HQ - my Crisis Shas'el Commander suit, posed the biggest challenge for me. I wanted to make him stand out from the rest of my army without going all professional-conversion, I decided to put my rather good painting skills to a test instead. Having known about non-metallic metal and fascinated by it for a while, I chose to give my commander this unique paintjob - and boy, it was hard. It's time I let you know that I had never done blending before. Barely highlighted. And now I wanted to tackle NMM...ya right! But after a hard week's painting, the results, while still not as smooth and sharp as I had hoped for, still impressed me a lot - and as you guys know, models tend to look worse on pictures than in real life :)

The second Firewarrior squad was a much easier challenge. Apart from the - now red - Tau symbol instead of blue to keep my squads distinguishable, painting commenced similarly to the first one, except I came up with the crazy idea to give my already close-combat shunning Tau some close quarters attachments in the form of razor sharp blades their allied Kroot squad kindly kitted them out with. I consider it as an offering to turn the Dice Gods in my favor when it comes to the unfortunate event of my Firewarriors ever getting stuck in close combat ;)

Next month will harbor an Elites choice and a Force Organization Chart slot of my choice - bring another Elite slot. Now that my army is led by a Commander, two Firewarrior squads and a Kroot squad, I have decided to add a Crisis suit and a Stealth suit team to my ever growing army, which currently lacks mobile firepower. See you next month!

Participant has expanded his army as required (February: 1 HQ, 1 Troops): 6 points
Painting: 100% models painted (1 Commander & 1 Gun Drone, 8 Firewariors): 5 points
Points from previous month(s): 13 points

TOTAL: 26 points

-Silver

Hephesto
28-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Really nice work Silver, the fire warriors look great. But that commander really tops of your stuff till now, some well-deserving rep coming your way ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
01-03-2009, 09:03 AM
REP given for it all.

I await next months and don't see me as being a harsh bugger about your NMM. :o

Hephesto
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Between the three of us we have quite a decent flow of minis going haven't we! Should be interesting to see what we end up with in a couple of month. Has been quite a while since we've seen full army pics ;)

Silver
01-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Here's some new pics from my recently painted squads of last month; I've also brushed up some of the finer Details on the Kroot:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Firewarriors/SN851165.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851163.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Kroot%20Carnivores/SN851164.jpg

Here's the link of a video I uploaded on Youtube where I'm sweeping with my camera over my army as-of-now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpJbm-lD_4

Cheers,
-Silver

Starky
02-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Looks good silver, the video is pretty good and all your models are looking cool. They're so white :D.

Starky

Silver
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
March finally shows some progress among my ranks, folks. I present to you my two elites choices, the 3-man Stealth team accompanied by 3 Gun Drones as well as an XV-8 Crisis "Fireknife" battlesuit.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851179.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851174.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851176.jpg

After the rather rigidly stiff commander, I decided to make the rest of my battlesuits more dynamic looking. Inspired by the Tau Empire Codex/battleforce artwork, the conversion took quite a while, as the right arm and both legs needed to be remodeled. You must have probably become used to my "epic pose in front of light source" attempts by now :p I think it is safe to say that I have earned the 1 conversion point for this single-model force organization chart unit.

Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Wow dude looks great! :D

I suggest you try and mount him a bit higher for a better feel of gravity. Because at that height he would have probably landed already. Definately a point there man! Wicked stuff. I also like the middle stealth suit's raised fist! You know:

"For Mother Russia!"

EDIT: Err... "For The Greater Good!"

Kishvier
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
"For Mother Russia!"

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

*Ahem*

Good work. I have my MP3 player currently in russian, its real funky.:D

Silver
07-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Musing over the Crisis suits, I was thinking how feasible it would be if Tau had Walkers, too. Did some research and came across this imposing model from coolminiornot built using parts of devilfish, piranha, drone, railgun a stealth suit head, four burstcannonsand lots of plasticard from what I was able to quickly observe:

http://coolminiornot.com/210732

-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-03-2009, 09:10 PM
That's pretty cool indeed. The front bit looks a bit naff but I love the overall idea and concept.

Kishvier
07-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Wicked, I want to see you make that. Its a titan!

Guzzlrr
07-03-2009, 10:18 PM
not a big tau fan but like what youve done mate, catch *throws rep cookie*

LAZtheinfamous
07-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I love the epic posees in front of light source. Actually makes them kinda intimidating. Although, I play IG, so anything looks intimidating.

Kishvier
08-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Although, I play IG, so anything looks intimidating.

Commissar: "Okay recruits, this is what will be used to continue upkeep on your chimeras," *Points at a servitor*
Guardsmen: "OH JEEZUS!!!" *Dives towards nearest cover*

Carrelio
08-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Yes Tau!

The Commodore
15-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Commissar: "Okay recruits, this is what will be used to continue upkeep on your chimeras," *Points at a servitor*
Guardsmen: "OH JEEZUS!!!" *Dives towards nearest cover*
WIN mate, just win!!!!:D

Kishvier
15-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Cheers for the REP Commodore!:D

The Commodore
18-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Cheers for the REP Commodore!:D
No worries..., well deserved for that comment.;)

Tallarn
21-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Musing over the Crisis suits, I was thinking how feasible it would be if Tau had Walkers, too. Did some research and came across this imposing model from coolminiornot built using parts of devilfish, piranha, drone, railgun a stealth suit head, four burstcannonsand lots of plasticard from what I was able to quickly observe:

http://coolminiornot.com/210732

-Silver

Dont know if this might help give you an idea or two but check this out (http://www.minivault.com/Modelingcatfish.htm)

http://www.minivault.com/images/catfishfl.JPG

Silver
22-03-2009, 06:41 PM
That's pretty cool Tallarn. I believe one can create rules for it? Anyways, I'm not a converter, so I'll never attempt anything like that :p

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/blip.jpg

Transcendence

Tau Empire - March's fiction by Silver
998 words (source: http://www.wordcounttool.com/)

Sky'rrel Minoris. I remember my father mentioning this world to me back when I was seven. It was during one of the clear summer evenings on Bork'an where we used to sit outside our home. I was on my father's lap and he used to point at the stars and tell me tales of adventure and wonder. This world was a colony of the Dal'yth sept, a cosmopolitan world which had been liberated from Gue'la occupancy during the Damocles Gulf Crusade back in....I think 742.M41 of the alien's established calendar, as our history tutor had forced us to remember. Tau in this world always welcomed alien traders and thus, most of the knowledge regarding the alien races that surrounded the Empire's borders were kept in gigantic subterranean information vaults, accessible only to the Ethereals. Now word had reached us that the world had come under attack by the Gue'la's "Space Marines" - only that these humans weren't loyal to their race anymore.

It was on a bright morning that Doran and I boarded the dropship that would take us to Bork'an's Space Station. Mother was there, as were Doran's parents. The females cried, of course. But Doran's dad had eyes shining with pride as he bade us farewell and wished us the guidance of the Greater Good's everlasting light. Then the doors closed and we took seat among recruits hailing from other cities and many Water and Air Caste members heading for work. The dropship took us to the Space Station within an hour and from there, we had to wade through crowds of Earth- and Air Caste members as they went about building and repairing vessels while Water Caste members boarded shuttles headed to other planets. One of the ships from T'au landed and a welcoming committee cheered as its venerable members stepped out. Our own transport - the Transcendence - was a huge military vessel docked at Bay 27. We managed to get there on time and joined the long queue of young recruits boarding the ship, shuffling one by one past a grim faced 'Ui - a Fire Caste veteran - who checked names and insignia.

Inside, the ship was a labyrinth of whites and greys, corridors stretching to the distance and walls lined up with doors on both sides. We assembled in the main hall and were given a harsh briefing regarding where our sleeping quarters, the canteen, training centers, recreational areas and briefing rooms were. We then made our way to our quarters after hearing the ship's reactor engines hum to life, well aware that we were now leaving the Station - and with it, Bork'an and our families behind for a very long time. Although all windows were shut, I was aware that we were traveling through another dimension - the Warp, as I heard my fellow Shas'la excitedly whisper - for nearly two weeks. Upon the question why all windows had been shut, I received an answer that robbed me of sleep for the next few days: all those who saw how the Warp really looked like would immediately turn insane.

Doran and I got to know each other better during our compulsory training and sparring sessions. Our brows glistening with sweat, we could still crack a smile after the hundredth push up - a harmless rivalry had sprung to life between us. It wasn't long before we reentered normal space - the windows running the length of the corridors opened and we were greeted by the deep ocean of black space dotted by countless stars and our faces, as well as the shimmering planet of Sky'rrel Minoris were illuminated by the warm light of the local sun. The announcement of imminent arrival was made and we hurried down the corridors, rushing flights of stairs and to the main bay area where dozens of Fire Caste officers were shuffling past hundreds of Earth Caste drones were magnetically carrying armor and guns around. We suited up, took hold of Pulse rifles - mine had the serial number #BK17354 (Made in Bork'an) - and I knew that a unique relationship between the two of us would soon unfold. We marched in ordered ranks aboard several Devilfish - military equivalents of civilian dropship transports - and left the vessel before it even reached the Space Station. Aboard the rather cramped transports, nervousness finally started to overcome me. Was the conflict already going on? What would await us on the surface? Was this truly a life or death situation already? The countless hours of training I had undergone suddenly seemed completely inadequate to me. I felt weak and lonely, despite the friendly faces of fellow Shas'la I realized were my team members from this day on. "Easy, lads.", Shas'ui Kaelgor said. "I know that hailing from Sa'cea might cause difficulties for me in gaining your trust, fellow warriors of Bork'an. But during the next weeks, if not months, we will have to stick together more than you did with your parents. I've seen the blood and death that war carries with it like some sick disease and I still remember the faces of my last squad members - how they died fighting proudly against an endless sea of greenskins. Oh how I had wished to share their fate, but alas, I'm here with you today. My new recruits, it is our duty and also the greatest honor granted to us to serve for the Greater Good and together we shall make Tau proud!" The dropship rumbled and decelerated and we could hear the landing gear being lowered as the floor vibrated under our feet. "Only meters separate us from our foe now and we WILL help our brothers under siege on this planet!" The doors flew open and sunlight bathed our reflective armor. I could hear gunfire outside. Doran and I looked at each other, then at Shas'ui Karlgor as we stood up as one. "FOR THE GREATER GOOD!"

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
22-03-2009, 06:50 PM
That's right cissy tau! Run to your deaths and then why not to the hills! :D

Definately two points man keep up the hobby work. :)

Silver
27-03-2009, 08:31 PM
XV-8 ready for action!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851278.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851279.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851280.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851281.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851282.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851283.jpg

-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice man, the eldar head is brilliant.

I think you should do a "who sucks in close combat now!?" battle suit. :D

Silver
29-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Done, and done! My battlesuit and the stealth team with three auxiliary drones are finally finished! Group shots:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851368.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851370.jpg

Review of March

March came and went like a gust of wind one can never truly register. I had many exams and tests, too. Approaching the dreaded graduation in May, ya know...but hey - all's going well (pretty much). This month I decided to go head-on for versatility and mobility, giving my army more punch and more mobility. I chose to go with the "Fireknife" configuration for my crisis suit (Plasmarifle, Missilepod), because it has a lot of potential. While not being ideal for horde-hunting, the Fireknife configuration gives me the high strength of both weapons, coupled with the missile pod's range and the excellent armor penetration and rapid-fire capabilities of the plasma rifle. Thus, with the suit, I can not only hunt both heavy infantry and light vehicles, but also to the jump-shoot-jump move, which makes the purchase of a costly shield generator unnecessary. My other unit for this month was the stealth team - something, which should never be absent in a Tau player's armylist. Their ability to infiltrate, deepstrike, stealth field generator and plethora of S5 shots make them a dangerous foe which forces the enemy to think twice before using his AP3 and AP2 weaponry on them. One "loophole" I made use of, is that Gun Drones accompanying them also get the infiltrate and stealth field abilities, which means that their cost (same as Firewarior) is very cheap for these "free" abilities. And more pinning S5 shots are always welcome! They also provide my stealth suits with more "bodies" and act as meat/metal shields. :)

In April I'm going to choose the "1 Heavy Support and 1 Fast attack" option. I can already reveal to you what I will be choosing for Fast Attack - a unit, which is often overlooked by many Tau players and barely gets used, a unit, that is incredibly cheap and can still cause a lot of pains for the enemy with it's pinning and deepstriking abilities: the Gun Drone squad! Catch ya all next month!

Participant has expanded his army as required (March: 1 FOC slot of your choice (Elite), 1 Elite): 6 points
Painting: 100% models painted (1 XV-8 Crisis "Fireknife" Battlesuit, 3 Stealth Suits & 3 Gun Drones): 5 points
Bonus points [Fiction written, Conversion of 1 unit (XV-8 Crisis Battlesuit)]: 3 points
Points from previous month(s): 26 points

TOTAL: 40 points

-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
29-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Excellent stuff silver. I have to say it's coming along really nicely for you. How many points?

Silver
29-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Excellent stuff silver. I have to say it's coming along really nicely for you. How many points?

Thanks, mate! :) I edited the post - so check it out for the points and review!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
29-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Sorry I meant army points! :o

Silver
29-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Well, so far I have a 10-man Kroot Warrior squad and two 8-man teams of Firewarriors. I have all three of them stripped to the basics (no grenades of any sort, no Shas'ui, no Shaper)....that would be 230 points, which I think is fairly cheap considering that you get 3 troops choices.

Next is Commander Lightblade (Shas'el, 1 AFP, 1 CIB, HW-Multi tracker, Shield Gen, Stim.-Inj. and a Gun Drone), equaling 130 points. And now, the Fireknife crisis suit (62) and the stealth team with 3 Gun Drones (120).

Thus, my army totals at 542 points. :)

Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
29-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Only 542!?

I'm at 1210 points... :D

Silver
29-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I await the explanation of that high number in your Log! ;)

Silver
10-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Time for an update guys, I assembled my drones and my - yes, here I reveal to you my heavy support - Hammerhead. First, let's take a look at the drone workshop:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Drones/SN851371.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Drones/SN851372.jpg

These are just some general pics of my army up to now, as well as a pic of the still-to-be-painted Black Templars.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851373.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851374.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851377.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851378.jpg

Stay tuned for updates coming in the next half hour :)

Hephesto
10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Really like how these guys are turning out Silver, the Commander in particular adds that extra bit of flavor to the army!

Silver
10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks Heph, painting white is indeed a challenge! :) Moving on to my hammerhead, you can see in the second pic that during assembly, I lost the left turbine grill :( Thankfully I've ordered greenstuff so I might be able to replicate it by pressing the green stuff onto the other grill, then removing it and cutting it out correctly. Pics of the painted interior follow. Also, can you guys notice that the railgun is slightly curved? I have no idea how to make it straight again - applying pressure with my fingers didn't work.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851390.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851391.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851392.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851394.jpg

Here's two more pics of my XV-8 suits so far:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851376.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851375.jpg

Cheers,
-Silver

LAZtheinfamous
10-04-2009, 01:30 PM
For repositioning, especially with something large like that, a big pot of boiling water works well. It softens it enough that you can bend it. Just be careful, use something else as a test.

Silver
13-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Drones painted, pics up! :) By the way, I found the left turbine of the Hammerhead again! Yay! :D

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Drones/SN851399.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Drones/SN851402.jpg

Eodred
13-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice minis you've got there mate, must look good on a table.

Cheers
E

Carrelio
13-04-2009, 10:52 PM
funny you post this, because I was just thinking how I'd like to see a group shot of everything you've got so far for the Greater Good! Could it be done, for me, Silver old buddy?

Silver
13-04-2009, 10:53 PM
No problem - watch this space tomorrow! ;)

Kishvier
13-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Neato mate.

Silver
14-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Alright ladies and gentlemen, he is my army so far - just so that one doesn't get lost ;) Take your time to read through the armylist as well!:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851404.jpg

Cheers,
-Silver

Hephesto
14-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Great pic Silver, I'll try to do the same in a day or two when I get some more stuff put together ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Heck that's a clever idea! :D

I'll have to do it myself then! Just expect it in two pictures!

Silver
30-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Mont'ka - Part 1

Tau Empire - April's fiction by Silver
998 words (source: http://www.wordcounttool.com/)

The metallic sound our footsteps made on the Devilfish's grated floor were soon replaced by soft thumps on brown mud. Gripping my pulse rifle tightly, I tried to identify my surroundings as we jogged out of the Dropship and towards the crest of the hill we had landed on to get a view on the battlefield below. We were in a big clearing, surrounded by tall buildings reaching for the skies - some of them had been hit and were beginning to fall apart; huge chunks of glass and plasteel falling from the heavens as pyres of smoke rose into the air, emanating from the buildings. At ground level, the Dal'yth Planetary Defense Carde - armor and infantry alike emblazoned in shades of green - were furiously exchanging fire with an alien force resembling tall humanoids in thick plates of corroded armor, who were advancing from their landing zone where multiple pod-like structures had buried themselves halfway into the ground. More of our own shimmering white Devilfish landed behind us, and eager Firewarriors poured out of them, taking up formations along the crest of the hill. From our allied Dal'yth force, I could identify two Hammerhead Gunships and two venerated XV-8 crisis battlesuits, who were in midflight towards the enemies, blasting away with their burst cannons and pulse rifles, while their Shas'la brothers provided covering fire, slowly advancing. The aliens however, seemed to be largely unaffected by the high-strength pulse rounds which evaporated upon impact on their armor, leaving barely a scar behind. Another enemy pod landed, also red and gold in color, shaking the earth as it impacted. A gigantic machine stepped out, resembling a spider with a horned head that had a cannon protruding from its chest and two huge, crab-like claws. It gave out a sickening roar and fired its pitch-black cannon. Next thing we knew, one of the Hammerheads exploded in a blinding burst of light and several Firewarriors around it had been burned alive as the smoke cleared.

"They need our help, move it Shas'la!", Shas'ui Kaelgor bellowed. The other teams of our Cadre were also on the move. The enemy was unaware of us, as we had landed on a hill that was partially covered by smoke coming with the wind from the ravaged city. We needed to attack their flank and take them by surprise. I did not know who these Gue'la were, but they did not resemble any of the pictures I had seen. They were huge and had spiky armor. Doran looked at me and gave me a reassuring nod. When we got close enough, the Shas'uis ordered their teams to halt. "OPEN FIRE!", Kaelgor yelled and as one, we pulled the triggers and felt the recoil as our rifles sent a volley of superheated pulse rounds at the enemy's side. The rounds impacted and punched through several aliens with ease, but the majority turned around and returned fire, glowing visors burning with rage. Their rounds zipped past us, but I already heard screaming among our ranks as Shas'la clutched at gaping wounds, guts spilling out. The Dal'yth Crisis suits swept above the enemy ranks, guns blazing, until the iron monster caught one of them with its massive claws and sliced it into two with a burst of blood. The other suit furiously emptied its guns onto the machine, but couldn't destroy it and the next moment, was brought down by concentrated gunfire. The squad we had opened fire upon began to charge up the hill crest we were standing on, shouting mad curses in a language that made my ears hurt. We switched our rifles to full-auto and unloaded our magazines. One after the other, the tall humanoids fell face-down into pools of their own blood, but more kept coming up, the deaths of their comrades only adding fuel to their already burning anger. "FALL BACK SHAS'LA!", Kaelgor ordered with a swift movement of his hand and we began to jog backwards, still pouring fire into the scrambling enemy. But they were closing the distance between us rapidly. Then we heard screams and creatures from behind us leapt over our heads and into the enemy, hacking away with brutal close combat weapons - the Kroot had arrived.

The enemy was badly outnumbered and soon overwhelmed by the vicious attack of the carnivores. Two Firewarrior squads of the Dal'yth sept approached us. We greeted each other over the screams of the last dying humanoids. They thanked us for arriving just in time and informed us that we were fighting against Space Marines who had turned traitor and were now worshiping twisted deities who lived in the warp - Chaos Space Marines. A warp rift had opened and a fleet of ships had been pouring out of it since three weeks, quickly overwhelming the Dal'yth fleet and preparing for the planetary invasion. Once the drop pods had landed, the Planetary Defense Cadre was engaged in fierce firefights across multiple continents, but the situation seemed stable. 10,000 dead was a rough estimate, with civilian casualties having crossed the hundred thousand mark. "We need to destroy them before moving on to other parts of the city", the commander of the Dal'yth forces said, pointing at the remaining Chaos forces. "Follow me!"

We moved back to range and opened fire, watching with awe as the remaining Hammerhead fired an ear-splitting supersonic solid-shot round into the monstrous machine. A tremendous fireball glowed like a second sun for a couple of seconds, and as the smoke cleared, all that was left of the monster was a pile of smoldering metal debris. The last Chaos Marines fell shortly thereafter and pyres were hastily erected to burn their bodies so that the planet would remain untainted. More drop pods were descending rapidly from the skies into the heart of the burning city. "Board your transports, Shas'la.", Karlgor said. "This was just the warm up." A sickening feeling inside told me that more blood would be spilled this day.

-Silver

Silver
30-04-2009, 05:58 PM
My first Hammerhead is finally, fullly painted :D:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851408.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851409.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851405.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851406.jpg

Review of April

April had 30 days - bugger! But still, I managed - just in time - to finish this month's goal, which was to assemble and paint 4 Gun Drones and a Hammerhead - no easy task, I tell you, because the latter proved to take a lot longer than I had originally anticipated. My force has been increasing in size with each passing month and I must admit that without this rigid painting plan, I'd have been far from painting so many models as I have done now. With only two more months to go, I am beginning to see the end of the tunnel - at which point I will be having a fully painted, fully playable 1250 points army which I bought for little less than 130 euros. As expected, I ran out of Skull White :p so a new pot had to be bought. Well, what else is there to tell? Next month will be awesome. :cool:

Participant has expanded his army as required (April: 1 Heavy Support, 1 Fast Attack): 6 points
Painting: 100% models painted (4 Gun Drones, 1 Hammerhead Gunship): 5 points
Bonus points [Fiction written]: 2 points
Points from previous month(s): 40 points

TOTAL: 53 points

-Silver

Hephesto
30-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Great looking Hammerhead mate! My report will go up tomorrow, too much on my mind to get it done tonight ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
30-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice report mate, I'll most lkely have mine by tomorrow then actually...

Also it's great to see your hamma-head and I hope those chaos marines aren't my precious apostles! :eek:

Vulpus Rex
01-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Lovely Hammerhead Silver, any chance of another group shot so we can see all the work so far.

Silver
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Lovely Hammerhead Silver, any chance of another group shot so we can see all the work so far.

You've got the groupshot featured on page 13 ,with the exception of the Hammerhead now being painted. I'm planning to take the next shot end of this month.

Vulpus Rex
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Cool, Thanks

Silver
18-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Alrighty then, first batch of final exams are over and it looks like I've survived - I think I'll get A in both German and English and hopefully a C in Math (math is hard ;)) Anyways, I got time again now to work on May's project goals, being another XV-8 Crisis battlesuit with the same "Fireknife" configuration as the first one to give it company (though both of them will be separate Monats, respectively).

Anyways, I always wanted to make a Crisis suit "fly" (just like in Dawn of War when they activate their jetpacks), and surprisingly, the conversion proved easier than I had originally anticipated: Glue and Greenstuff to balance the model on the little stand (took several hours of steadying with the help of drones and books to dry) and dramatic repositioning of head, arms and legs as well. Stay tuned for more!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851452.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851453.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851454.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851455.jpg

Cheers,
-Silver

Carrelio
19-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Not gonna lie... I laughed alot when I saw him flying like that (I always saw the battlesuits in a different light than DOW seemed to)... but he's really good.

Arkaedin
19-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Could be me, but it doesn't look like the greenstuff is mixed all that well. I'm seeing a lot of solid blue and green. You're going to have probelms down the road if they're not mixed properly.

Other than that, pretty neat conversion

Silver
19-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Could be me, but it doesn't look like the greenstuff is mixed all that well. I'm seeing a lot of solid blue and green. You're going to have probelms down the road if they're not mixed properly.

Other than that, pretty neat conversion

'Tis the first time I've used it (been experimenting over the past couple of days). If you could link me to an article that gives the proper instruction, it'd be great :)

Arkaedin
19-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Er.. you take even parts of blue and yellow and mix until you get a green color. Thus the name 'greenstuff' :p

It's just a matter of mixing them together, really.

Kishvier
19-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Always 50 Yellow/ 50 Blue too.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
20-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Aye mate you need to keep massaging the greenstuff (for want of a better word! :o) until it is green. Don't worry though he looks great! :D

The Xenocide
20-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Liking the colour scheme, especially on the hammerhead.

That was quite an ambitious project if it was your first time using Green Stuff, but he turned out well and thats the main thing :D. Looks like you need to trim a couple of mould lines off him before painting, but otherwise he's looking good and I like dynamic the pose!

Keep it up!

The X

EDIT - REP headed your way!

Silver
24-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Liking the colour scheme, especially on the hammerhead.

That was quite an ambitious project if it was your first time using Green Stuff, but he turned out well and thats the main thing :D. Looks like you need to trim a couple of mould lines off him before painting, but otherwise he's looking good and I like dynamic the pose!

Keep it up!

The X

EDIT - REP headed your way!

Many thanks, mate!

Here's super-suit to the rescue :D all painted and that means 1 Hammerhead to go before month's end.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851460.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851461.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851462.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/XV-8%20Crisis%20Battlesuits/SN851463.jpg

The rough surface comes from the crazy glue I've been using...the thing was dirt cheap so I bought it and now it runs like searing hot liquid everywhere, including my fingers...and when I pull them from the model, the prints are left :(

Cheers,
-Silver

Vulpus Rex
24-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Looking good Silver, I don't think I could have resisted painting an "S" on his chest :D

+REP+ for a great pose

Silver
27-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Alright folks, I finally finished assembling my second Hammerhead after my little swap this morning (http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?p=194436#post194436).

First picture is a rare W.I.P. one - I usually only show pics of finished stuff, thus decided to take one shot during assembly for a change. Notice the unit of Warp Spiders trying to blend in with the background? :D

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851464.jpg
My workspace

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851469.jpg
My second Hammerhead

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851466.jpg
The free Skyray turret has been fixed on the same Hammerhead/Devilfish chassis just to showcase it. I won't be fielding it in my army, though.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851468.jpg
A self-created "Forgeworld variant" ^^. But it'd be cool to have a Railgun along with the 6 seeker missiles :D

Cheers,
-Silver

Silver
28-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Mont'ka - Part 2

Tau Empire - May's fiction by Silver
986 words (source: http://www.wordcounttool.com/)

Adrenaline rushing through our veins as a result of having survived our first encounter, we hastily boarded our Devilfish and Shas'ui Kaelgor closed the rear hatch after the last squad member jogged in, pushing various symbols on the holo panel and nodding to himself in satisfaction as the door, that also acted as a ramp, raised itself and sealed shut with a soft hiss. We were seated on the long, cushioned seats that ran the length of either side of the Devilfish's interior and were fastened by belts that secured our upright position, as our transport's engines hummed to life. I barely knew my new squad members and to my slight relief, I observed that most of the others had the same FNG-expression on their faces as well. "Bravo, lads.", Kaelgor announced, standing near the closed doors with his right hand clutching a handle on the ceiling. "You've survived your first encounter with the dark kind. But things are about to get worse. I just received an update on our situation from Cadre Command. Planetary Defense Forces have been pinned in the central plaza of Union City - yes, that's what this hellhole is called. The Marble Palace is located near the Central Plaza - our beloved Ethereals hailing from this planet are making their last stand there." A moment of total silence followed, as each of us realized the seriousness of the situation. "Once we reach the Central Plaza, we'll need to fight our way to the Marble Palace and fortify ourselves until the Orcas arrive for evac. Do you understand, Shas'la?" We nodded as one. The pilots activated the holographic "windows" of our Devilfish and the walls became translucent, smoldering civilian vehicles and cracked footpaths moving past us on either side as our convoy sped through the war torn streets of the city. The holographic projectors gave the impression that we were sitting in a glass box and not an enclosed transport with no windows; a technology that had been in military use only for the past sixty years.

A sudden jolt of vibration rocked our transport and Kaelgor had to steady himself amidst the confusion that ensued as the Devilfish's white hull returned to normal before the ceiling lights flickered and failed. "Damnit Kais, what's going on?!", Kaelgor bellowed into his vox unit, addressing one of the Air Caste pilots on the other side of the closed cockpit door. Our visors' nightvision filters came to life, bathing the dark interior of our Devilfish in a sickly green."No response, I'll have to see for myself.", Kaelgor spat. He holstered his pulse rifle on his back and climbed the ladder leading to the top hatch. As he opened the hatch, sunlight flooded the Devilfish's interior. "Damnit! Chaos fighters!", Kaelgor yelled as the light coming from the hatch was cut off for a split second by a passing shadow. Another vibration shook our Devilfish as something impacted the hull. Kaelgor began to fire his Pulse rifle at something we could not see. WARNING: AUTOPILOT ENGAGED., a female voice echoed through the speakers. Doran got up, muscling his way past the cramped aisle and tried to open the door that led to the cockpit. "It's stuck!", he exclaimed, ramming it with his shoulder, but to no avail. The others were looking at each other in confusion, some still having their eyes fixed on the firing Kaelgor above. Doran pulled out his Pulse rifle and fired on the door. The close proximity caused a heatwave to wash over us, but the door had been blasted open. "The two pilots are dead sir", Doran reported as he examined the smoldering controls and cracked windshield. "But we're entering a broad courtyard now."

"That's the plaza! We're there! We're there. Shas'la, get out now!!!", Kaelgor shouted. I was the first to get up and, thanks to my photographic memory, pressed the right combination of switches on the holo panel that caused the rear and side hatches to hiss open. We poured out in formation, covering each other and scanning our surroundings for foes. That's when we saw the two Chaos Fighters heading straight for us. Other Devilfish of our convoy came to a halt next to us, Firewarriors disembarking, and I heard other Shas'ui bark orders to take the Fighters down. We opened fire.

Our pulse rifles released a torrent of energy beams that headed straight for the Fighters, bringing their bellies to glow with extreme heat upon impact. "Hit the deck!", Kaelgor bellowed, and we jumped to prone position as the Fighters opened fire in turn, cutting a swath of destruction across neighboring firing lines as they performed a coordinated strafing run. Blue blood sprayed amidst our formation and one of the Devilfish's rear engines got hit, resulting in a tremendous explosion that blinded all five senses for a second. But through watery eyes I could see that one of the Chaos aircraft was heading down, a trail of thick smoke trailing out of its aft fins. It crashed into a building at the far side of the plaza and this caused the remaining one to disengage. We scrambled up amidst shouts of joy and screams of horror as fellow Shas'la realized the carnage that had just been caused. The rest of our forces rendezvoused with us in the next few moments. Piranhas soared past us, in pursuit of the other Chaos Fighter and Pathfinder teams urged us to regroup and head for the palace.

Situated on top of a cliff that was overlooking the rest of Union City, the Marble Palace was a shimmering structure at the other side of the plaza, its white surface reflecting the sunlight to a blinding degree. Smoke was trailing out of several gaping holes that marred the beauty of the structure. We heard gunfire coming from the dark interior of the palace's blasted double doors. I hoped we were not too late.

-Silver

Silver
28-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Voila:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851456.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851457.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/Hammerheads/SN851458.jpg

I removed the tank commander after giving some thought simply because I prefer the hatch to be closed and secure.

Review of May

May, May, May - a month of mixed difficulty. The first fifteen days were pure hell, as I had to study day and night for three exams that were being held during the second week. Then came a period of relative calm, giving me plenty of time to get a-workin'. Since I hate static Crisis suits, I decided to go for another conversion, this time trying to represent a suit in mid-flight and so far, I'm happy with the result though it took a lot of patience to steady the damn thing. The second Railhead brought more security to my growing army and now, only one 8-man Firewarrior squad separates me from reaching the 1000 point mark. But that will be in store for June, as well as another nice surprise. ;)

Participant has expanded his army as required (May: 1 Heavy Support, 1 Elite): 6 points
Painting: 100% models painted (1 Hammerhead Gunship, 1 XV-8 Crisis Battlesuit): 5 points
Bonus points [Fiction written, Conversion of 1 unit (XV-8 Crisis Battlesuit)]: 3 points
Points from previous month(s): 53 points

TOTAL: 67 points

Cheers,
-Silver

Marticus
28-05-2009, 03:45 PM
nicely done silver....... love the hammerhead camo.. i didnt do any on mine.....

Ossai
28-05-2009, 08:42 PM
That is brilliant, well done.

LAZtheinfamous
28-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Whoa. Nice freaking Tau tank! I am impressed!

Vulpus Rex
28-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Awesome tank Silver really nice "cold camo".

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
29-05-2009, 11:22 AM
That Silver is awesome! :D

Silver
29-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks Matricus, Ossai, LAZ, Vulpus Rex and Fire Harte for your kind and encouraging words. Could you comment and critique the fiction as well please? I'm always trying to improve in that department...:D

-Silver

LAZtheinfamous
29-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve, Silver!

I read that fic. It was enjoyable, and I liked it. Good work on the action, specifically the ship taking fire from the Chaos guys.

There were some awkward phrases in there, but I think that was mostly due to the first person plural thing you had going on. Which is a nice technical writerly thing to do with the Tau who are all about the group over the indivual.

However, I found that most of the speech and actions seemed more like gaurdsmen or regular soldiers then Firewarriors. I believe one of them called a city a hellhole, and some of the conversation read more like a rank swap between the Gaurd and the Tau. That bit could use a little tweaking, but that is the only major concern.

Of course, that could just be the IG fan in me automatically making EVERYTHING guard. But so far so good. Keep working at it. You could be the guy that writes an enjoyable Tau book.

The Xenocide
27-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I love the camo on all your vehicles, its so...stylish (for want of a better word) and looks fantastic.

Had a read of May's fiction installment and its top notch. One minor niggle, sort of similar to what LAZ said, I don't think a tau warrior would say: "Bravo, lads!", it seems more like something a posh Imperial sergeant would say ;). Thats the only thing that stood out when I read through, the rest was awesome, especially the idea of see-through walls in the devilfish, that was a nice touch.

I think some REP is in order for your efforts :D

The X

Starky
27-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Very nice silver, the geometric pattern is very cool and precise. How did you do it? Anyways, REP for you sir.

Starky

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Where's this month's stuffs!? Am I the only one to finish!? :(

Silver
27-06-2009, 10:17 PM
You know how I like to procrastinate. Hey I still got 3 days left :p

Consadine
27-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Who all is still going at it for this Tale of 8 Gamers?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-06-2009, 11:46 PM
It may be because I'm knackered Cons but whut?

Consadine
27-06-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't know who is still involved. For a while, all I know is that it's Fire Harte and now Silver...

Three days, get cracking Silver :p

Ossai
27-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Heph is still in it but h is miles behind I think.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh oh right!

Well yes me and silver where close in points, but depending on what silver pulls he could take a victory from me. It was a shame that we've only got 2 (3 including Heph) actively updating regularly but if you go check the non-warhammery bit on here there's a bit of an idea going on. Dunno why that's relevant.

Dim vanished and didn't say anything, Kish probs lost interest and Eodred and Nomad and Khaine were plagued by real life.

Kishvier
29-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry I ran out of funding I could rely on mate. As you've seen I've made CSM stuff in my log but I've only gotten kits here and there, and not enough.:(

Nomad
29-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I too apologise for falling off the pace, and to think, early in Jan I was winning... But that was before my camera got flogged. Spewing still about that.

I did manage to get a few things done, but kinda lost interest as every model I painted kinda reminded me "Oh yeah, somehow I have to photograph this and then post it. But I don't have a bloody camera!!!! Salt in the wound I thing=k is the common expression.

Congrats to Silver, Heph and particularly Fire Harte for their ongoing enthusiasm for this project. Inspiration to all of us.

Silver
30-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Salvation

Tau Empire - June's fiction by Silver
991 words (source: http://allworldphone.com/count-words-characters.htm)

War has always been a thing of legend. Our Empire was expanding rapidly, and we were truly blessed to meet many new races as we pressed on, spreading the light of the Greater Good. Alas, there were too many of them who were completely opposed to our cause. This spurred our hatred of all that, which is evil and our destiny to purge the galaxy of wickedness.

A squad of Pathfinders rushed past us as our Cadre approached the dark entrance of the Marble Palace. Once, two majestic pillars had flanked the doorway. Now they lay shattered and ruined at either side, along with pieces of the ornate double door. The Pathfinders carefully stepped over the debris without sound and vanished into the blackness. We waited outside, the Bork'an flags of our assembled Cadre fluttering in the hot wind. I could make out the faint beams of the laser pointers attached to their Pulse Carbines scanning the vicinity inside. Our radios then crackled with static.
"Clear."
We exchanged glances with Kaelgor and he gave the hand signal to advance. The other Shas'uis ordered their squads to file in as well and soon we were stepping over the large chunks of debris and entered the palace. Cool air greeted us and our nightvisions blurred to life again. The pathfinder team, being lone wolves, had already moved deeper in. The palace was wonderful....or had been, to say the very least. We were standing at the base of a long hallway, decorated with intricate symbols and blood soaked digital portraits depicting past planetary rulers, graceful Ethereals and battle scenes that buzzed with static due to the damage that had been inflicted on them. Empty pulse ammo packs and corroded bullet casings littered the floor. Just like the corpses strewn about the central Plaza, there were corpses here as well. Civilians, Earth Caste workers and...Fire Warriors. My blood boiled. They would pay for this. "The enemy must have kept pushing back the defenders all the way from Central Plaza to deep within the palace. Can anyone of you hear gunshots?", Kaelgor's voice crackled over my helmet vox, as some Firewarriors shouldered their weapons and moved about the hallway, partly listening, partly gazing at the destroyed beauty. "It's faint, but yes I can make out some noise.", Doran answered, who was standing next to one of the four entrances that led deeper into the palace. There was a short pause. "Okay lads, I've relayed the information to the other teams. Looks like we need to split up if we want to reach the defenders on time." Another short pause, as Kaelgor communicated with the other team leaders over a private com channel. "Alright we're taking the fourth one. Follow me!"

The four Fire Warrior teams split up, while the fifth stayed behind to guard the entrance, pushing the half-destroyed barricades back into place. Our squad took the fourth entrance and we soon found ourselves trudging along a much narrower corridor. The walls on both sides were decorated with digital frescoes depicting the settlement of Dal'yth: the first landing ships opening their hatches on the dusty ground, the first settlements being erected, the flourishing of the major cities, the revolts and the famous burnings of the twin cities Taowa and Kishin during the Earth Caste uprising some four hundred years ago, if I recall correctly from history class. The gunfire was getting louder and we started to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Something was wrong with the air supply in my helmet. I noticed a strong, almost sweet, metallic smell. "Hey am I the only one or-", Doran's voice was cut off by Kaelgor. "Yes, all of us have noticed. Careful, Shas'la." Rifles at shoulder height, we approached what seemed to be the end of the tunnel.

When we finally caught sight of the source of the smell, our stomachs nearly overturned. The small hall the corridor lead into, had a central pillar supporting it...and long, iron spikes had been drilled into it and all members of the Pathfinder team was impaled upon them, blood dripping down to the foot of the pillar where it was pooling. "Damn it! Squads, this is delta. We've spotted the Pathfinder team...or what's left of it. 4 K.I.A.s; I think we're on the right path; need reinforcements.", Kaelgor bellowed into the vox, but all our channels only buzzed with static. The gunfire was distinct now, and all of a sudden we knew every second counted. The lives of the Ethereals were at stake and we wouldn't risk them by standing around stupidly and waiting for reinforcements. Suicidal or not, such was the Tau'va. We spend along hallways and past empty rooms, almost running, our ears straining to follow the direction the gunfire was coming from. And then we saw the flickering light. Armored, horned humanoids were brutally gunning down the last Palace Guards around the corner as they retreated. One of the Firewarriors fell down, clutching at the gaping hole where once his chest had been.

"Shas'la, throw the photon grenades - NOW!", Kaelgor yelled. My squad detached the small devices from their belts, pushed the activation buttons and hurled them across the hall, hitting the Chaos Space Marines' backs - I was too slow. Astonished, the lumbering giants turned around and the next second, the hallway dissolved into a dazzling display of multi-spectrum light and a noise that would have burst an unprotected eardrum. But our helmets had been designed to hold out the effects of our grenades, and thus we opened fire through the confusion, our volley of superheated pulse rounds punching through armor and flesh with relative ease. Five of them dropped to the ground with heavy thuds and the last fired blindly into our direction before taking flight. "Quickly, after them Firewarriors!", Kaelgor barked and we dashed across the hallway, almost leaping over the huge corpses before coming face to face with the last survivors of the Palace Guard.

-Silver

fridge61
30-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Really nice to see some Tau fic once in a while :D

Awesome work Silver although I have two issues with the story. First up, if you take a new line any time someone begins to speak it will help break up the story (I notice you did this at the beginning but you havn't done it further in).

Second is this line:

"Quickly, after the Firewarriors!"

Forgive me if I'm wrong but surely you're not fighting against renegade Firewarriors? Should it be 'them' instead of 'the'?

I hope that I've added something constructive, and here's some Rep for such an enjoyable read :D

The Xenocide
30-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Brilliant ... just brilliant.

Is this the last installment or is there more to come?

The X

Silver
30-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Brilliant ... just brilliant.

Is this the last installment or is there more to come?

The X

There's definitely more to come, but the 1000 word limit forced me to stop before I could finish. I'll be finishing the story in the next couple of days.

Really nice to see some Tau fic once in a while :D

Awesome work Silver although I have two issues with the story. First up, if you take a new line any time someone begins to speak it will help break up the story (I notice you did this at the beginning but you havn't done it further in).

I was taught to make paragraphs in school....but not where to end one and start another :o

Second is this line:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but surely you're not fighting against renegade Firewarriors? Should it be 'them' instead of 'the'?

I hope that I've added something constructive, and here's some Rep for such an enjoyable read :D

Well this last Chaos Space Marine fled. So I had to put in the word "Firewarriors" instead of "them/(him)" or the readers might think our squad pursued the fleeting Chaos guy(s). And going after somebody doesn't necessarily mean going after them to kill them, does it? I thought it might also mean follow them.

...and many thanks! :)

fridge61
30-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I was taught to make paragraphs in school....but not where to end one and start another :o

It is my duty to help :D Although I don't know how well I'd do if I wrote a story in German (German is your first language isn't it?)

Well this last Chaos Space Marine fled. So I had to put in the word "Firewarriors" instead of "them/(him)" or the readers might think our squad pursued the fleeting Chaos guy(s). And going after somebody doesn't necessarily mean going after them to kill them, does it? I thought it might also mean follow them.

Oh, no, I was talking about this word:

"Quickly, after the Firewarriors!"

The one in red should be 'them'.

There's not much else in the way of crit I could give you, but I've got the feeling that your next piece will be even better :D

Silver
30-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Review of June

June, the last month of Astro Tale of Eight Gamers competition, was also a month of final high school exams for me. The good news first: I passed the 3 oral exams I had to take, of subjects of my own choice (english, history and physics) with flying colors. The not-so-good news: so the exams were around the 18th, meaning I spent most of the time until then studying hard, and the following week partying, leaving me with only 1 week to start and finish June's requirements (1 Troop and 1 FoC slot of your choice - I chose Fast Attack)

Troops: 8 Firewarriors
Fast Attack: Pathfinders (3 Pulse Carbines & markerlight target designators, 2 Rail Rifles), Devilfish APC

Overall, I really enjoyed the Astro tale of 8 gamers competition and although many of us couldn't make it to the end, participation alone is what really counts. Award ceremony is tomorrow, so keep your eyes open guys - all of you! - on the tale of 8 gamers subsection for any activity ;)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851500.jpg
Pathfinders, freshly undercoated and awaiting painting.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851501.jpg
My Pathfinder team proudly displaying Bork'an colors. They wear red gore fatigues compared to my regular Firewarriors' chaos black uniforms to distinguish them from other infantry in my Cadre.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851502.jpg
I love Rail Rifles :o

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/Agomades/Tale%20Of%208%20Gamers/SN851503.jpg
"Shas'la ready for action" :D; Devilfish in the background. I tried a snow-weathering look on its side-hatch, but it didn't work quite well...

Cheers,
-Silver

P.S: Yes, this post is several minutes after midnight. But I swear by God that I posted this (pictures included) around 23:50, then decided to edit it for some spelling mistakes and then Astronomican crashed (you must have noticed it too if you were surfing around this time on Astro and flicking pages) and returned to normal only shortly after midnight, as if some evil spirit wanted to challenge me. Anyway, so I had to rewrite the post again and repost the links, please bear with me for this slight delay for I really did finish it on time!

Skringly
01-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Your Tau are looking awesome silver. Just thought I'd say. :D

Hephesto
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
They look fantastic Silver, any chance of another one of those cool army overview pics?

P.s. - my final review will be in tomorrow, still haven't gotten my camera back >_<

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I dunno when I can do my final review Silver, was intending it yesterday but trying to solve a few issues led to it's demise. So if you don't mind I'll stick it in another time. :)

Silver
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Participant has expanded his army as required [June: 1 Troops, 1 FoC slot of your choice (Fast Attack)]: 6 points
Painting: 90% models painted (8 Firewarriors, 5 Pathfinders, 1 Devilfish APC): 5 points
Points from previous month(s): 67 points

TOTAL: 80 points

Nomad
02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Congrats Silver on making the grade. Your Tau look really good.

The Xenocide
02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Now that's commitment, have some finishing REP ;)

The X

Marticus
02-07-2009, 03:40 PM
most excellent silver!! coming along tip top

Silver
27-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Looks good silver, the video is pretty good and all your models are looking cool. They're so white :D.

Starky

I did a reupload (same footage) with themed music and intro and outro, experimenting with Movie Maker.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbpJbm-lD_4