PDA

View Full Version : HE 'East Lorthern City Patrol' 2000pts

ItemfinderDeluxe
29-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, since I'm entering in Fantasy this year for Canberra's CANCON tourney, I figured I'd break out my old High Elves and give them some more time out under the sun (I haven't used them since before the new codex :eek: ). My Elves were previosly built using the Sea Patrol army from Storm of Chaos, so I decided to go for that kind of feel, with a few modifications to suit the storyline of the Army's progression.

BASIC STORY

Prince Elcanalith's successful, yet costly campaign against Markus Blackblood's Dark Elf pirates won him fame and fortune upon returning back to his homeland. However, he was more determined then ever to destroy the menace that was the Dark Elf taint. After making a second pilgrimage to the Shrine of Asuryan to seek the gods' blessing, he travelled back to the Tower of Hoeth where he had trained as a Swordsmaster many years ago. Charging himself with hunting and purging any Dark Elf cults in Lorthern City, he organised his former crew and the new troops joining him into an effective fighting force that could act and react to any Dark Elf threat.

NOTE: This is only a brief idea, and it's influenced some of the choices. I obviously plan on writing full accounts (whether or not I release them is another matter), but I want to find some books that demonstrate High Elf letter-writing and such first.

ARMY

Characters

Prince with Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Shield, Blade of Sea Gold, Temakador's Gauntlets, Sacred Incense - 274pts

Noble with Dragon Armour, Sword of Might, Dragonscale Shield, Great Eagle - 176pts

Mage with Level 2, Annulian Crystal - 175pts

Mage with Level 2, Staff of Sorcery - 175pts

Core

14 Lorthern Sea Guard with Shields, Full Command - 207pts

14 Lorthern Sea Guard with Shields, Full Command - 207pts

Special

14 Swordsmasters with Full Command, Banner of Arcane Protection, Amulet of Light (carried by Bladelord) - 280pts

15 Phoenix Guard with Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion - 270pts

8 Shadow Warriors - 128pts

Rare

Great Eagle - 50pts

Great Eagle - 50pts

TOTAL = 1997pts

BASIC ARMY STRATEGY

Firstly, Characters form the basis of this list. The Prince and his Swordsmasters form the core fighting block, supported by the Phoenix Guard. The Sea Guard are to protect the Mages, and to support combats or take charges in place of my better combat units. The Noble and the Great Eagles work to cut off Fast Cavalry, attack War Machines, etc. The Phoenix Guard have the Banner of Ellyrion to move around quickly; their own abilities help keep enemies away from flanks. Shadow Warriors are there to block early movements, knock off rank bonuses, and generally be a nuisance.

I've gone for a defensive magic line-up here with the Crystal and Staff. Knicking a dice each opposing phase and getting a culumative +2 to dispel makes it diifficult to cast spells, quite often allowing to use 1 dispel dice to block a spell cast with 2 power dice. I've not taken the usual dispel scrolls as I believe most armies there will be going for cheap spells that can be easily cast (Daemon Spells, Necromancy, etc). I went with Level 2 so I could cast Shield of Saphery or Drain Magic (my main spells) with 3 dice instead of 2.

Hands up if you remember the Spearmen v Archers v Sea Guard arguments for way back? I do, but I've always stuck with Sea Guard. That's because they're tactically flexible, and easily able to adapt to most unforeseen changes in a battle-plan. Archers are terrible in combat, and Spearmen might find themsleves suddenly in a bad spot if an opposing army moves away from them. Sea Guard, however, can hold their own, and can form up to fire volleys at distant enemies. Sure they cost more, but I find that they are worth it in every sense.

Snoza
07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
It looks like a Very Solid List, i hope it works well. i also hope that we can get together so that you can test it out against my WoC army :P and Cancon will be intense this year :D

Snoza

ItemfinderDeluxe
07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
YES, A REPLY!!!

But in all seriousness, I've tweaked the list a little since I posted it up, making various units more effective. I heard that a few of the good players might run armies like Ogre Kingdoms, but there are a few confirmed Daemon armies :( ... I'll send you a message about trying to meet up.

Snoza
08-01-2009, 06:55 AM
ah, sweet, have you updated the List? and Ogres and Daemons yay a chance to fight against them :D, but there will be a lot of WoC, VC, Empire and Orks and Gobbo's, but then i am still remembering last years Cancon.

Snoza

ItemfinderDeluxe
08-01-2009, 10:26 AM
List is updated. I still can't believe I put almost 800pts into Characters... Still, with the Swordmasters aiming to be in the thick of the battle from Turn 1, the Phoenix Guard making suprise jack-in-the-box appearances with the Banner, and being able to War Machine hunt with a bit of punch is always nice.

Snoza
08-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Pheonix Guard are by Far my Fav unit in the Entire Game :D

Snoza

Marticus
16-01-2009, 11:16 AM
a great weapon and blade of sea gold? he can only use one weapon.... so sea gold blade wouldnt count as a great weapon and u dont get cumulative to dispel of +2 for more mages

Your Conscience
16-01-2009, 11:31 AM
The only problem i see with this army that it only really has two units that can survive a charge and im mnot sure of the sea guard in the new rules and how they play but them seem pretty decent and i tihnk that having 3 eagles in an army is pretty cool IMO. Finally the units size are very small and you are elves so you will lose quite a few unit and if the eagles get killed against some shooty armies you are goigmn to be in some troublr

ItemfinderDeluxe
19-01-2009, 02:38 AM
@ Marticus - The Prince can carry a single extra mundane weapon and a single magic weapon. I know that he won't be getting a 2-handed Magic Weapon that ignores Armour Saves, but the point is that he has multiple options for different units. Up against lightly armoured units with High toughness (Ogres, Kroxigors, etc) he uses the great weapon. Against cavalry and other high-saving units he uses the Magic Weapon, and for anything else he can use a hand weapon/shield combo.

The +2 to dispel comes from the HE +1 and the +1 from the Staff of Sorcery, which can stack on each other. hence the +2.

@ Your Conscience - Yeah, I figured shooty armies are going to be a problem to get to. Survivng a charge isn't difficult with ASF across my army, but I will need to combine unit attacks to see off realy solid enemy units. The Phoenix Guard play defensively, the Swordmasters gun for the thick of the enemy line, the Eagles and Noble hunt enemy War Machines and fast cavalry, and the Sea Guard support whatever unit needs a hand. Besides, the Phoenix Guard 4+ Ward and the -1 to hit the Swordsmasters from the Sacred Incense should offer some protection from shooting.

Sea guard have always copped a lot of flak about their points v effectiveness ratio. Mind you, I couldn't care about such things. For me, armies need to be able to react to or create multiple threats; any well-thought out plan can go horribly wrong if your opponent does soemthing unexpected. That's what Sea Guard offer me, and I'll stick by them in my army (besides, I already submitted this list for a competition, so I can't change it now :P ).

Marticus
20-01-2009, 10:22 AM
i think the rules are if able he always has to use magic weapon dude.... could be wrong but im pretty sure

ItemfinderDeluxe
21-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Let's see what rules can apply...

1. Before the first round of combat I choose what my models with fight with (eg. Sea Guard with Hand Weapon/Shield or Spear) and I must fight every round of that combat with that weapon config until combat breaks (p54)...

2. A character that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other close combat weapons, although it may carry a shield as normal (p121)... :(

3. No model with a magic weapon can claim a bonus for Hand Weapon/Shield (FAQ Part 1)... :confused:

Well, this is what happens when you don't play Fantasy for over 3 years... Too late though, I've already submitted the Army list (I'm suprised and annoyed no one noticed this)..What I might do though is... live with it. It's what you learn in the process that makes the game worthwhile. I'll stick with the Blade of Sea Gold though: 4 ASF WS7 S4 attacks ignoring armour is still pretty good. And if the weapon gets nailed for some reason he's always got a back-up plan. Plus the Gauntlets :p .

Your Conscience
21-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Well if somebody is able to destory the magic wepaon you would then be able to use the great weapon instead of the now hand weapon instead. SO its not all that ba as the GW is just a back up instead

ItemfinderDeluxe
21-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Tha's true. I also remebered that he's always had a Great Weapon (using Swordsmaster Honour under the old rules), so he wouldn't be right without one.

My big concern at this stage is all-cav and gunline armies (and Deamons, but that's a different kettle of fish altogether). For gunlines, I intend to get my flyers and Shadow Warriors in a fast as possible, use the Sea Guard to play shooting games with enemy gunners, and screen the Swordsmasters with the Phoenix Guard as they move up. Against all-cav, I'm thinking of using the Flyers and Shadow Warriors to block marches, the Sea Guard can hunt the lightly armoured units, and the Phoenix Guard can take charges so the Swordsmasters can get flank charges.

Are there any particular units that pop up a lot that I should watch out for? I can think of DE Hydras, but I'm not sure what else I might have to plan for.

Your Conscience
21-01-2009, 10:37 AM
You will just have to look out for the newest army as these armies are played the most now soit would be VC, DE, HE, DoC and WoC these would be the most common armies. Against VC be careful not to get into drawn out combats and makes sure that you dont charge unsuppported because if they get a flank charge then you will probably lose you could also try and target the general by focusing on him. In addition to this be carefu of the helm of commandment as this coudl make a unit W6. If zombies are in combat with you and another undead unit go for the xombies because these are easy combat resoulution
Wi

Marticus
21-01-2009, 02:40 PM
i had that used on me once... nasty little suprise for my dark elves when zombies became ws6!

ItemfinderDeluxe
21-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Helm of Commandment - that the one which can, provided you're not in combat, pass your WS to a friendly individual/unit within 12 inches? Swordsmasters can handle that easily with their WS6, but I'll keep an eye out anyway. I also learnt by watching a game at a local GW to watch out for the broke-hax DE items (Ring of Extreme Magical Hatred, Pendant of Stupid-Hax Reverse Ward, and Banner of 'We laugh in yo face Elves!'), and WoC as a whole.

The only thing now that really concerns me as a whole is Daemons :( . I know usually to go for the Heralds, but is there anything else anyone can add about combatting them?

Marticus
22-01-2009, 10:07 AM
never fought them dude so cant help im afraid