PDA

View Full Version : Need help putting together first models - Eldar

FarmkidD2
27-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Hello all. I am very new to this hobby and need some help. I'm building my first set of models ever, some guardians and I have a few extra parts it seems and a few questions on others. So with the guardians, I figured out how to glue together the legs arms torso and head easy enough. But then there are 2 slots on his back for...something. I've been looking at pictures in the codex, and some of them have 2 vertical thingys back there, which I've located in my parts that came with the box, but I don't know what they are. Also there are sometimes pictures with some guardians with one of these little things and then a slightly bigger one, I have two of the bigger ones, but what are they for? I know what you see is what you get in this game so I don't want to glue on the wrong piece. Also in the codex, I read something about storm guardians, is that a seperate kit I have to buy to be able to build those? Also there looks like I also have a belt sort of thing that I can attach somewhere to the Guardian's waist. What is that about, I haven't seen it in any of the codex pictures. Thanks for all your help. Is there a website or something that explains all this stuff so I don't have to ask all these questions. Thanks everyone for your help in me getting started with this new hobby.

Marticus
27-12-2008, 03:46 PM
well welcome dude... seems i cant help u with the eldar guardian issue but im sure some one ehere can :)

Nomad
27-12-2008, 04:25 PM
G'day Farmkid,

I don't have an answer for the Eldar questions. But wanted to say Welcome to Astro. You should pop in on the Intro thread and let everyone know you're aboard. Meanwhile Enjoy!

Cheers.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Not exactly eldar, but the application of assemble is relatively the same, with a bit of thought, you should be able to ork out how to assemble your models:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat180006&categoryId=400029&aId=1200018

If you require help with terminology, then just post it here.

EDIT- Somethings are not covered, but you need to consider mould lines as well, you can remove these using files, hobby clippers and x-acto blades.

EDIT: Kishvier has just purchased an eldar army, if you wait a little, I am sure he will be able to help you out, if not, then there are many a helpful member on these forums.

Nomad
28-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Have you got an Eldar Codex yet? Reading the section on the Guardians should identify your pieces for you. If not then the Army List area will. Or the Pics.

All I can help with is to get a picture of some unpainted Guardians
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/eldar/gettingstarted/images/plasticguardians.jpg

Silver
29-12-2008, 01:09 AM
But then there are 2 slots on his back for...something. I've been looking at pictures in the codex, and some of them have 2 vertical thingys back there, which I've located in my parts that came with the box, but I don't know what they are.

Nevermind them....just glue them on. They have no actual use in the game, just like the regular Space Marine's backpacks. Fluffwise I'd assume they're close combat knives which the Eldar flip out samurai style when the enemy gets too close.....or they could be radio transmitter/VOX units whatever.

Also there are sometimes pictures with some guardians with one of these little things and then a slightly bigger one, I have two of the bigger ones, but what are they for? I know what you see is what you get in this game so I don't want to glue on the wrong piece.

I think the big ones are to distinguish squad leaders from the rest, although these squad leaders have no different stats or abilities compared to the rest of the squad. Again, it's not related to actual gameplay, but rather a fluff/background story thing.

Also in the codex, I read something about storm guardians, is that a separate kit I have to buy to be able to build those?

Yes, they are a separate kit. I'd highly advise NOT to buy them, as marching T3 5+ save gizmos across the battlefield in the hope of killing more enemies with their S3 attacks than their S4 catapults could reminds me of lemmings. And the dual Meltas and Flamers are useful in very rare opportunities which won't happen most of the time. Heavy weapons of regular Guardians can do the job much better from a safer distance. Nevertheless, they can be bought here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300045&prodId=prod1090098&rootCatGameStyle=

Also there looks like I also have a belt sort of thing that I can attach somewhere to the Guardian's waist. What is that about, I haven't seen it in any of the codex pictures. Thanks for all your help. Is there a website or something that explains all this stuff so I don't have to ask all these questions. Thanks everyone for your help in me getting started with this new hobby.

That "belt" contains the Guardian's balls, which are, as a matter of fact, Plasma Grenades. Very useless for what they cost points-wise, as your Guardians' Initiative 4 and general mentality of staying behind cover will keep them from facing an Initiative-superior opponent in close combat. Ever. Oh and if Guardians do get into close combat, they're screwed anyway....as they don't have a 4+ armor save compared to Tau Firewarriors.

Welcome to the site, have lots of fun here!
-Silver