PDA

View Full Version : 2k Tourney Empire

mastershaper
26-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I have now been playing empire for about half a year and now looking at taking the army to tournaments
as i feel confident enough to field them competitively

This is my 2k Tournament Stirland river patrol army

I have no certain way of knowing who i will be playing against so i need to be able to deal with anything.

What are your suggestions on making this a stronger list?

The tactics are based off the reman legion

Arch lector 255pts
War Altar
Van horstmans speculum

Luthor Huss 180pts

Warrior Priest 106pts
heavy armour
shield
warhorse

Captain 153pts
full plate
BSB
Banner of sigismund

23 Swordsmen 153pts- (warrior priest goes here)
standard
musician
- 9 free company 45pts
- 5 Archers 40pts

24 Swordsmen 169pts- (BSB goes here)
Full command
- 9 free company 45pts
- 5 archers 40pts

5 Knights 123pts
Musician

Great cannon 100pts

Great cannon 100pts

5 Pistoliers 97pts
musician

20 Greatswords 200pts
- 9 free company 45pts
- 5 archers 40pts

Rocket battery 115pts

So what do you think?

I have had some good success so far but i have yet to play every race what do you think i will struggle against?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Replace the Rokkit Battery with a hellblaster volley gun will do more damage and has better effectiveness agaianst a wider spread of enemies.

Pistoliers should be outriders if you can afford it, much better unit in my opinion.

Not a real fantasy player, but you have enough magic in there to deal with spells and such, although exchnaging the captain for a wizard with two dispell scrolls would help you greatly. But fine either way. But magic heavy armies are going to hurt you despite the three warrior priests.

List is solid though.

Also 2 questions:

Does Luthor Huss go in the Knights unit?
Which Tournament are you going to? (May happen to be at the same venue for 40k.

mastershaper
27-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Luthor Huss does go with the knights making them cause fear so they are used to support/flank units engaged with my infantry, but i have been using them to make low leadership units run.
My pistoliers are used to redirect and flank units but to also take down anything fast trying to flank me

My other warrior priest goes in the unit of swordsmen with no champion hes put on horse back to allow him to pursue enemys effetively and not force my unit to also pursue because of hatred

The tournament i dont know what its called my friend got a spare ticket so im going along with him, but i do plan on attending a GT

I know the hellblaster is good when it goes off but that is rare as it has a high rate of misfire. It also has a short range meaning i will have to move it first turn to be able to shoot in the following turn and as i move my infantry up aswell i find i may get 1 shot before everything is engaged 2 shots at most then by then its prob blown up.

The rocket battery though very inaccurate doesnt blow up as often and when it hits far more fun

Marticus
27-12-2008, 11:17 AM
im actually a fan of the rocket battery i admit. dont think the lector needs a speculum dude, hes hard enough as it.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I have used the hellblaster, sure it has a greater probability of explosion, but I don't get what you mean by the range. If armies deploy 24 inches away from each other, then can still fire.

But regardless, what about the other suggestions?

@ Marticus: The speculum is awesome. Nuff Said.

Marticus
27-12-2008, 11:18 AM
the hellblaster its on 5s at long range with a high misfire chance... riskjy business

mastershaper
27-12-2008, 11:44 AM
As a member of GW staff pointed out to me if you deploy 24" away from each other you are not in range i believe the same rules are in 40K

I have been considering outriders but i have yet to try them out as i wont to finish painting my army first
they will be useful but i like the mobility of the pistoliers because they have on more than one occasion ridden to the safety of my artillery and killed anything that looks like will flank my army

The captain stays it adds so much to my army with the re roll on leadership tests even nicer on my stubborn units
i would like a dispel scroll would take some pressure off me and the dice gods

but with all this i need to get the points from somewhere and i have scraped alot of points off my pre drafts

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-12-2008, 01:04 PM
As a member of GW staff pointed out to me if you deploy 24" away from each other you are not in range i believe the same rules are in 40K

Err, what?

I have been considering outriders but i have yet to try them out as i wont to finish painting my army first
they will be useful but i like the mobility of the pistoliers because they have on more than one occasion ridden to the safety of my artillery and killed anything that looks like will flank my army

Out riders are just as mobile but have higher ballistic skill.

The captain stays it adds so much to my army with the re roll on leadership tests even nicer on my stubborn units
i would like a dispel scroll would take some pressure off me and the dice gods

but with all this i need to get the points from somewhere and i have scraped alot of points off my pre drafts

Fair point, either way you're losing and gaining stuff.

mastershaper
27-12-2008, 02:16 PM
outriders cant move and shoot and that what i need at the moment if i was to get outriders i would probaly need orb of thunder to counter flying units

the range thing i dont understand but if you are 24" apart you arent in range

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
27-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Out riders can move and shoot I think.

I'll see if I am wrong or right later, gotta go help with crimbo dinner. (Yup, we're having it late.)

Marticus
27-12-2008, 03:28 PM
no outriders are a move or shoot weapon dude.

mastershaper
27-12-2008, 05:17 PM
yeah and its why the
Q pistoliers or outriders

is so heated as do you take more firepower or be able to move and shoot

then do you take barding on outriders as they cant move and shoot so do they need fast cavalry

mastershaper
01-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I have decided to not go for a scroll caddie and have a

Captain w/ full plate, shield,pegasus 160pts
Sword of Battle, Aldrec's Casket of Sorcery

instead of Luthor Huss and with the spare points i will add a standard and musician to my greatswords and heavy armour to my arch lector

advantages
magic defense (in a way)
standard and musician for greatswords
some mundane equipment for my arch lector
another way to deal with -war machines
-flyers
-light cavalry

disadvantages
knights no longer cause fear
or have hatred
1 less dispel dice

i will let you know how i get on against my next game against dark elves

mastershaper
02-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I just played a game against heavy magic dark elves kast night
using my changes with Luthor Huss for pegasus rider

I must admit it was a bit iffy at times when i had to roll for dispel on the first 2 turns but after that Casket of sorcery settled stealing the better spells and in doing so gave a huge benefit to me specially when i used that black hole thingy over his black guard the turn before he was about to charge, my greatswords.

He and my pistoliers made short work of 2 units of dark riders and somehow my archers killed a unit of harpies

My artillery worked a treat specialy a flank shot on his cold ones

but my knights didnt do very well they lost combat to a unit of spearmen even with a flank charge, they also took 2 attempts to charge after failing a fear test due to his bsb

but overall it was a solid win, just think i need to know what my knights are able to do now without a warrior priest and make sure my pegasus rider dpes his job quicker