PDA

View Full Version : New 2250 Skaven List

Kaldra
24-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Okay so I'm kinda new to Skaven i've been lookin through them a lot but i made this, tell me what you think.

Lord
Warlord w/ Heavy Armor and hand weapon

Heroes
Assassin plain
2X Warlock Fully Upgraded

Core
3X 30 clan rats
2X Ratling Guns (to accompany 2 of the clan rats)
Warp Fire Thrower(for the other unit of clan rats)
2X 21 Slaves
22 Slaves
3X 3 Poison Wind Globidiers
5 Night Runners

Special
2X 25 Plague Monks w/ additional hand weapons (one w/ the Burning Banner of Hate)
2X 5 Jezzails

Rare
2X 10 Plague Censor Bearers (to go along w/ the monks)

Like I said im kind of new to Skaven, what do you think?

Your Conscience
24-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Right i havet got a skave army but have playedagainst palfy's enough to know a bit about them.

Lord

Your Warlord does need some protection in the form of a ward save or something along those lines, or give him something like the bands of power as you coudl always just keep using it to waste a dispel dice from your opponent.

Heroes
Assassin plain

I would drop this assiain because he is only going to go with the night runner so i would instead get a chieftan with a battle standard and this can really help with combat resoultion as well im not sure which banner maybe t=the swarm banner or just the normal bsb.

I wouldnt take the warlock pistols because they are rubbish and instead take the storm daemon on one of your warlocks becuase most armies hate this.

Core
3X 30 clan rats

Do you have a musician and standard bearer but dont take a champion

These arent as gd as in the old rules because they can be targetted in th new rules

2X 21 Slaves
22 Slaves

Havent played agaisnt these so i cant comments

5 Night Runners

I woudlnt take these because they arent that gd in small nubers

Special
2X 25 Plague Monks w/ additional hand weapons (one w/ the Burning Banner of Hate)

I like these unit cos have seen what they can do to my undead units

2X 5 Jezzails

Rare

Thisis just my opinion but ask some more experienced players like paly and farskit

Palfy
24-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Lord

Nice cheap LD here, but not got the points for a shield at least?
Id try and get in a shield plus either a halberd or great weapon - gives you more choice

Heroes
Assassin plain

This guy will achieve very little. Assassins, whilst cool, are not effective. If you are going to take him give him the warpstone stars or bands of power+ warpstone ammulet

Drop pistols, pick up storm deamon
Scrolls are also handy, as is the one use re-roll for the storm deamon carrier.

Core
3X 30 clan rats

Standards + musicians are a must - if there are there, great, if not get them! Dont bother with champions

okish, even though they die easier now

cool

2X 21 Slaves
22 Slaves

nice one

drop these guys down to 3 units of 2 - they wont kill any one in these numbers, but they do draw the deployment phase out longer, meaning you have more time to see where your opponant places his important units

5 Night Runners

nice - maybe aim for another unit?

Special
I like running one unit of these, but i wouldnt want 2 really - a lot of points for a unit that can get led astray. I find one unit effective, but i have a feeling 2 wouldnt be as much...

2X 5 Jezzails

I prefer taking them in 10's - gives you an extra model for panic, but if they do run they will all run so...
Eggs and baskets really

Rare

Take 7 in a unit maximum, as any more probably wont get to into base contact to fight, but will still take gas hits etc.

Not a bad list, but things i would like to see -
a unit of giant rats - cheap, fairly fast unit
Tunnel runners - easy war machine hunting
a Battle standard - Helps keep your troops in line!

Cheers

Carrelio
25-11-2008, 12:47 AM
More night runners!!!!! MORE I SAY!!!! MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE! Ditch whatever you have to but boost the size of that unit! What sort of skaven unit only had 5 guys in it?

Ghostmaker
25-11-2008, 01:40 AM
I'd have to agree that it needs more night runners. Other than that, it looks like a fun list.

Happy Hunting.

Marticus
25-11-2008, 12:34 PM
i used to have skaven and i play against them alot... go for some warplock engineers, the lighting spell is horrible! :)

Palfy
25-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Nah, dont take night runners in a large unit. They dont get rank bonuses so cant add to their LD. Units of 5 are good, as they are cheap, can hold table quaters, make good screens etc.

If you wanna use night runners to fight, give them extra hand weapons and make them about 7-8 large

Your Conscience
25-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah I agree with palfy as I have played against him many a time with his sodding skaven and too bigger units of skirmishes arent that affect unless it is a SAD army (skink army of doom!)

Kaldra
01-12-2008, 10:35 PM
hey everybody, thx for all the help, revised list is posted up, feel free to criticize more, i need it.

Lord
Warlord w/ Warpstone Armor + Halberd

Heroes
2X Engineers Full Upgrade w/o pistols one w/ storm daemon
Chieftain w/ Swarm Banner + heavy armor

Core
3X 30 Clan rats musician and standard
3X 22 Clan rat slaves
3X 2 PWGs
2 Packs of Giant Rats (Same Unit)

Special
2X 6 Jezzails
25 Plague Monks additional hand weapons Musician Standard w/ Burning Banner of Hate
10 Tunnelers poisoned weapons

Rare
7 Plague Censor Bearers
1 Warp Lightning Cannon

like i said any further criticism would be helpful

Killer
02-12-2008, 07:43 AM
First off... Hi and welcome to astro! :D

You've come to the right place with all your questions, Young One... Stay long and post often, as they say...

Well that takes care of the plesantries... Right-

The warlord is an awsome fighter and a really good leader- treat him as such: give him the equipment he deserves- the weeping blade, enchanted shield, warpstone amulet and heavy armour is a good way to go...

Your heroes are looking good! If you want to go a bit more offensive you can relpace the chieftan with another warlock with 2 dispell scrolls...

Slaves are best used for baiting- they cannot fight and they are not really supposed to, unless they get a oppertunistic flank/rear charge- and even then they are only there for a bit more combat res. So keep them small (unit of 20 unupgraded) so they can bait.

the Globies work really well in controlling the deployment phase- nice one :)

Unfortunately I have never seen the giant rats perform as they should in theory- They are cool in theory, but not as much on the field... rather drop them for more clanrats as they can do the same job - only better...

Special choices looking good...

The warp lightning cannon can be scary, but its just too random to be of real tactical use in this sort of army... rather use those pts for some night runners with slings- man those guys can really mill down units and they work fantastically for screening and redirecting units' facing! (I've seen them take out a Steamtank even!)

Overall though , I think this is a good list... the above is just my opinion of what I have seen that has worked well in the past.

The best teacher is experience so play often and try out different things! Just be sure to post your battle reports to share your victories and defeats and your models who blew themselves up in spectacular fashion! :D

So I hope this helps!

Happy hunting!...

Killer
02-12-2008, 07:50 AM
O yeah... you might want to wait just a tad before you start collecting, because the 7th ed armybook is coming in March next year!...

Palfy
02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Looking better, more like what i use =).

However i would reduce the tunnel runners to around 6 models, and add in poisoned hand weapons.

For the giant rats, id take 3+ packs or non at all, to max out the rank bonus. I would also throw additional hand weapons to the monks, though i do know that some people think they are too expensive for what they do.

Kaldra
04-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Palfy, funny of you to mention that, i have the extra hand weapon and the poisoned weapons down on my hard copy but forgot to put it up , i think the points are justified.

as of reducing the unit, probably a good idea considering the off chance of them being lost, and only in there to take out warmachines.

i like my units of 22 slaves, not moving that and a cheap hero is only really in there for the lead bonus from the back anyway, so no real reason to throw a bunch of unnecessary stuff on him, considering if he is gotten to, he will die anyway

and yea, i am holding off at the moment on buying anything else because of the new list soon, hopefully much doesnt change for the worse... working on my 40k space marines, considering the new book just went up.