PDA

View Full Version : Astro Tale Of Eight Gamers

Pages : [1] 2

Silver
09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the 40k version of a new project that I've been thinking about for the last couple of days. :)

I thought would be quite interesting if we launched a "competition" of sorts in the near future where people from the entire Astro community took part in each of them starting a new army from scratch and expanding their army over the months including painting tutorials, conversions & fiction (for those extra points^^) and explanation as to why they chose that unit (cost-effectiveness; fits into army theme; strong and/or uber-cool) etc.

I know not many of you won't have the time, interest or financial means to start a whole new army, but remember that Astro is a big community and a handful of people is all we need. This includes new members who are welcome to participate provided they can postpone the purchase of their first miniatures till when the competition starts.

I think this project has the means to become a major one since it will keep increasing over the months and we can have plenty of time to discuss every aspect of the hobby regarding these armies! A big bonus would be if these participants would live next to each other so that they can give us some nifty battlereports each month too, but that's asking too much, isn't it?

I hope people will apply to this thread so that we can have something new and great going on. Remember folks - Christmas is approaching!

Cheers and looking forward to your enthusiasm,
-Silver

Astro Tale of 8 Gamers

Greetings, fellow Astronites. After 13 days since the official announcement followed by 11 pages of enthusiastic replies (a lot more than I had expected), I proudly announce and unveil hereby, on the 23rd of November 2008, the official rules of this grand competition - and grand it shall be - for it will last until the 30th of June 2009!!!

Competition starts:

1st January 2009

Deadline:

30th June 2009

This time frame of 6 months will allow the participants to start new armies from scratch and build them up to a sizable amount at the end of the competition. Their progress will be measured at the last day of each month within this time frame, and points will be awarded to them respectively in the following categories:

Army expansion: Force Organization Chart per month
January: 2 Troops
February: 1 HQ and 1 Troop
March: 1 Elite and 1 FoC slot of your choice
April: 1 Heavy Support and 1 Fast Attack OR 2 Fast Attack
May: 1 Heavy Support and 1 Elite OR 2 Heavy Support
June: 1 Troop and 1 FoC slot of your choice

Participant has expanded his army as required: 6 points
Participant has expanded his army by only 1 of the required slots: 3 points
Participant has expanded his army by 1 or more not-required slots OR a mix of required and not-required slots OR by 3 or more required slots: 1 point
Participant has not expanded his army: 0 points.

Painting:
90% - 100% models painted: 5 points
60% - 89% models painted: 3 points
25% - 59% painted: 1 point
0% - 24% painted: 0 points

Minimum amount of paints on model required to count as "painted": 3

Furthermore at the end of each month, each participant has to publish a paragraph of at least 500 words as a reflection about the progress of his army during the course of that month. This can include explaining why he bought that particular unit and not some other unit as an expansion to his army this month; what tactics he is going to focus on, why he has given this troop those particular upgrades etc. These "reports" might manage to be published in future releases of the Astro magazine, so please mind the punctuation and grammar! :)

Bonus points:

Fiction: +2 points, if the participant has written a piece of fiction (750 words minimum, 1000 words maximum). If 750 words are not reached, 0 points are given. If 1000 words are exceeded, only 1 point is given.

Conversion: If either an HQ, a single model-unit/monstrous creature or at least 5 models of any troop are significantly (head, arm/weapon, feet/torso) converted (basing doesn't count), +1 point is awarded for each converted troop/HQ on the Force organization Chart.

Battle played: (only 1 battle will be awarded by the points system for each participant per month)

3 points awarded for participation, regardless of outcome (victory/loss/draw)

Notice: Participants who have played a battle MAY NOT write fan fiction that month. This is to balance the points system for players who do not have the time to play battles, but write fiction instead to earn some bonus points.

REQUIREMENT: Battle report MUST include not only words. but also photos as proof that this battle really happened.

Note: After lots of thought and a couple of pots, I have changed the 45 euro budget to Force Organization Slots because this allows for more freedom and ultimately, balanced armies than having to shell out exactly 45 euros every month what with the exchange rate changing, GW prices rising and everything. If you cannot afford, you can purchase from independent retailers or ebay. Make sure though that the models are NOT second hand.

ARKAEDIN SAYS: THE PARTICIPANT WITH THE MOST POINTS AT THE END OF EACH 2 MONTH INTERVAL WILL BE FEATURED IN THE CORRESPONDING ASTRO MAG!
(I'ts a bimonthly mag, so i have to make it every 2 months :p)

Official List of Participants

(in chronological order of signing up):
Name:
Race:
Army name:

HEPHESTO
Space Marines
Relictors "Relictor Strike Team"

THE DIM REAPER
"Rogue" Daemon Hunters

EODRED
Space Marines
Black Templars

FIRE HARTE
Chaos Space Marines
Apostles of Minthras

KISHVIER
Eldar
Warp Hawks

KHAINE
Space Marines
Crimson Fists

NOMAD
Chaos Daemons

SILVER
Tau Empire
Bork'an

Remember folks - competition starts on the 1st of January next year. So there's still some time for minor adjustments and changes should the majority of you complain ;) Nevertheless, I wish all of you good luck and lots of fun while creating your new army!

-Silver

Hephesto
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd be more than happy to join up, the last one of these I started died when the other 3 guys dropped out in the first month and I got into my masters program. I'm extremely busy until christmas, but after that you can count me in all the way. Got a shiny 1250 points Relictor force to finish up ;)

So if it is alrighty if I join the fun from midway december you can count me in!

Silver
09-11-2008, 11:39 PM
No problem. once we have the other three participants we can start talking about a beginning date, so no worries. Glad you could sign up, mate! :) Any ideas on what army it will be?

3 vacant slots left, people!

-Silver

Hephesto
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Starting with the Relictors and then finally making my Nids into a playable army with traitor guard following as soon as the new IG codex hits.

Arkaedin
09-11-2008, 11:57 PM
If you wait until the new guard codex comes out, I'll be in for sure!

Edit- but if anyone wants to go in ahead before me, be my guest!

Also, we can make this into a recurring article in the mag as well :D

The Dim Reaper
10-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah ok, I need sometinn to inspire me to get involved in 40k. I'll make my long awaited Daemonhunters force, I would request t this be after Christmas though... :(

Cheers,

Dim

Eodred
10-11-2008, 12:35 AM
If I get a whole army for christmas and only paint the required price limit per month, would it be possible for me to take part?
Cuz I only get models two times a year, but I should be able to get hold of enough to take me through a good few months and i've definatley got the time to do it.
If its not ok, don't worry.
Cheers
E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Count me in!

I have given you rep for the motivation silver, great idea.

If I go through with this, I ask 3 things.

1) I can expand my army of choice by faction, instead of divng into a new project.
2) We all figure out how it will work
3) We wait until every person involved can confirm that they are able to definately keep at it.
4) You sort out the rules in the time taken.

------------
I also suggest everyone gets a little title for the project.
Example:
Me- Noob

Kishvier
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll give it a try, as long as we don't need to many points per month! ;) I can finish up my marine army, or make something else (I'd love to make like 50 armies).

Silver
10-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd say we give each gamer a budget of 45 euros per month. (well not give really ;), but allow - you get the point.) Which is the pricetag for

A landraider; monolith, Fire Prism etc.

A box of troops + paints to go with

Multiple metal blister packs

1 blister + Landspeeder/Bike etc.

Either way, I'm really glad so many of you are interested; perhaps I should allow more than 4 gamers maximum?

Keep posting and we can see whose enthusiasm lasts until Christmas and if even by then many people are interested, we can push the upper limit. ;)

Cheers,
-Silver

Kishvier
10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
We could have 8 or 10 probably.

Arkaedin
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
We could do a Tale of "X" gamers (I believe we tried a fantasy one way back when which sort of crashed) and each issue I could feature one or two people in the mag.
What do you guys think?

(Oh, and that pricetag is perfect IMO, not too much, but enough where you can do some pretty cool things)

Hephesto
10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
We could do a Tale of "X" gamers (I believe we tried a fantasy one way back when which sort of crashed) and each issue I could feature one or two people in the mag.
What do you guys think?

(Oh, and that pricetag is perfect IMO, not too much, but enough where you can do some pretty cool things)

Sounds like a plan, 4 is a nice start but we can always expand!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I live off £20 a month plus other bitsies come next year, so it is fine by me (I shall use Indra's highly reccomended website to! ;))

A question to the Mr Silver:

If I have stuff uunassembled, can I effectively use that as well as my new gubbinz? I assume I am allowed access to my bits box also?

EDITZ- Why not have 3 categories?

1) The Nobz (The veteran peeps)
2) Da Skar Boyz (The mid-way peeps)
3) Da Boyz (Members such as myself, new.)

Silver
10-11-2008, 09:08 PM
If I have stuff uunassembled, can I effectively use that as well as my new gubbinz? I assume I am allowed access to my bits box also?

Provided they are unassembled and unpainted and you only assemble and paint 45 euros worth per month, I think it's the same as advance planning and buying the stuff you want from the store, so I'll let that count. :)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
So, if I bought it all from Total Wargamer in January, I would promise only to open stuff each month (be long wait that is, my loss!) that equates to the pricing, and if I want new stuffs, I can simply buy it and stockpile it for the months to come?

Just running through it with you Silver, that is all.

It's a crackin' project and if you get the groundwork done pronto and compile it then you have a smoother sytem. ;)

Kishvier
10-11-2008, 09:20 PM
A few things, a. what is the exchange rate of Euro to USD? And, I think all boxes should be GW pricing, no cheap boxes off websites to get more models in (really, you should be able to buy it from anywhere but for the purpose of money tally we should use GW prices)!

Arkaedin
10-11-2008, 09:22 PM
1 Euro = ~1.25 USD

EDIT- and no, using GW boxes only would be stupid. The point is to expand your force each month with a certain budget- you're supposed to find ways to expand it as much as you can with for little cost

Kishvier
10-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Okay, like $56...no tax included I'm guessing. Well I'm most definitily in. This will get me to actually paint stuff in a quantity of more than one model a week!;)

Carrelio
11-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Oh man! I really want to do this! I'd love to start up and Eldar army (I've wanted to for months)! But I'm as broke as it gets and my mom says she wont buy me any more for birthday and christmas presents until I finish what I've got... Shame... I love contests...

Eodred
11-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Provided they are unassembled and unpainted and you only assemble and paint 45 euros worth per month, I think it's the same as advance planning and buying the stuff you want from the store, so I'll let that count. :)

Aha, so depending on what I can wrangle for xmas, I can take part :D
How long are you planning on running this for?
Cheers
E

Hephesto
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Nice goal there, definitely not too extremely expensive. But high enough to get some decent things in there. For my first month I'll add 1/3 of the new starters prize since I'm basing the army around those lads.

I was going to buy some ghouls and a SM boxed set this weekend as well, so looks like I'm of. Just very slow progres till after the holidays ;)

Eodred
11-11-2008, 11:23 AM
1/3 of the new starters prize

?
E

Hephesto
11-11-2008, 11:29 AM
?
E

To reach the montly goal of adding xx worth of cash to the army. And I figured that 1/3 of the starter's price would be about right for just the Space Marines ;)

Eodred
11-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Ahright, got you :D
Is it just me or is the lower limit of 2 characters in a post, quite funny? :D
E

Silver
11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
EDIT- and no, using GW boxes only would be stupid. The point is to expand your force each month with a certain budget- you're supposed to find ways to expand it as much as you can with for little cost

No; only buying from GW is fair because otherwise people would simply rush to ebay to get the most(second hand?) minis and build the most powerful armies in short time. Everyone should have equal pricing = equal chance. The point of the whole thing is what things you buy with the money, not how much by finding cheap offers in parallel retailers! ;)

-Silver

Kishvier
11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
OMG! Doing an Eldar army would be amazing! I think I'll try an Eldar for my army, noting I'm in!;)

Hephesto
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Good point Silver, though many people tend to go to other places to buy their stuff. I get most of mine from a local partnership store, others use online stores. In addition I like to look through ebay for old minis, spare bits or just a spare mini or two to try out some new ideas.

For me things (at first) will be very much in line with Fire Harte, I'll be working on the stuff I bought 2 months ago in a single swoop. With stuff being added once I get the lads up to fighting strength ;)

Eodred
11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
How long are you intending this to go on for Silver?
E

Kishvier
11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe I brought this up first, I meant by only GW, we should be able to buy our stuff from any store/place, but they should all be counted in GW prices ie. I bought a land speeder for $10 on ebay, it still counts as a $30 kit.

Marticus
11-11-2008, 03:44 PM
makes snese to me :)

Marticus
11-11-2008, 03:44 PM
ahh u see what i did there.... with the sense... neva mind lol

Hephesto
11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice solution Kishvier, so when will be start with this. Not that I have time to really work on it, but I'm itching to buy some new stuff and get some more ideas worked out ;)

Silver
11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Nice solution Kishvier, so when will be start with this. Not that I have time to really work on it, but I'm itching to buy some new stuff and get some more ideas worked out ;)

How long are you intending this to go on for Silver?

I'd say starting after Christmas when everyone's got their gifts, coupons and goodies :D - preferably from January (not fixed yet) and continue the project till early summer (May/June?). So we'll have roughly 5 months to work with, starting from 0 points and ending up with approximately 1250. Or 1500 if we continue it to July.

I'd appreciate it if we could work along with the editors of the Astro e-zine and see if we can let the gamers talk a little bit about the monthly progress of their armies as Astro mag articles!

Savvy? :)
-Silver

Eodred
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
If you can delay it until after xmas I can participate, if not, I can't.
E

Edit Was typing as you posted, alls good :D

Hephesto
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Perfect, in between I'll probably do some minor conversion work and get ready for my real challenge - painting more than a single squad for an army ;)

So what is everybody going to be building? I'll start with my new Relictors and maybe a second small force as well. Rather like the idea of small 1250-1500 point forces, gives you the chance to do a small force of a race you'd always wanted to try! Oh and have some rep for kicking this one off again Silver!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-11-2008, 04:13 PM
If we can start after christmas then that is best, for I will have a better camera, and lots of new miniatures.

Eodred
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Templars, yes I did say about it a long time ago, before fire harte had even made his first post on this site.
But i'll finally get around to it :D
Hopefully the units will get a decent enough standard to not need redoing once its over.
Cheers
E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Also, I guess some of the pay it forward stuff you recieve will be encouraging for your templars eh?

*Time Scale Thingy*

Why pick me? :mad: Gah!

:D

Eodred
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
To put it into perspective FH the Templars were planned for early this year, I heard the main rules were changing so delayed thinking Id start as soon as they were out. The only unit that has been bought for this army are some assualt termies that I meant to do up for GD, but couldn't afford the ticket so they've only left the box once and are all still attached to the sprue (and uncleaned).
You're not the only monetarilly enforced procrastinator :D
E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Hehe! :D

Shot a PM at you...

Eodred
11-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanke, thanke
Cheers
E

Arkaedin
11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I'd appreciate it if we could work along with the editors of the Astro e-zine and see if we can let the gamers talk a little bit about the monthly progress of their armies as Astro mag articles!

Savvy? :)
-Silver

*Editor Says* YES! :D
It's a great idea and a nice thing to add to the mag for sure.

Though, personally, I'm not going to be able to. My spring quarter is going to be really intense so i figure I'll be better safe then sorry (study mode on max, hobby mode on min)

The Warsmith
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Dang

just when i was beginning WoC

still, i look forward to seeing these armies grow

Eodred
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
WoC?
E

The Warsmith
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Warriors of chaos

Ill let you off as its a new term

Eodred
12-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Ah, right.
E

Hephesto
12-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Alrighty figured I'd get some ideas down on paper as and went and bought some bits to make certain I have enough things to do once this really kicks of. So from post 366 you can follow my progres here (http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4882&page=37). By the look of things I'll be able to do a single mini-update like this once a week up till christmas and serious stuff after that ;)

Kishvier
13-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Coolio. Christmas it is then! Watch out eldar! *runs off to find a way to fund his plot*

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
13-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I shall be expanding chaos, dropping my x-box for a renegade strike force and a bloodthirster. Also, maybe a third troops choice & definately Huron BlackHeart model for a conversion.

Kishvier
13-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Are we allowed to start a bit now and use it come christmas? I'm dying to get working and I don't think I'll be able to wait until Christmas, just build a squad or two!?;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I would say stay your hand, that way you get the fun of doing it all piece by piece etc...

Kishvier
14-11-2008, 04:30 PM
:D Okay, sure thing!:rolleyes:

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Well, you would also get a head start and all of that! :D

Not piece by piece! Bad wording, I meant having to reach a dealine etc each month and rushing into it will take away the fun of the wait. :D

khaine
14-11-2008, 05:44 PM
hey guys, id like to sign up to this. i could do with some motivation to paint my daemonhunters, also as there is a debate on how much money to spend how about you have to paint a certain points limit each month eg 500 per month or 300 if were planning for 5 months, i know its kinda hard to go exactly 300 but give or take a few points, or even a part of the force organisation chart per month?? just a few suggestions from lil old me lol, but i would be well up for joining this and seeing it through...

Kishvier
14-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Nah, not many armies use the full FOC chart.

Silver
14-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I'll be posting the first list of all participants and their armies Sunday evening, so please decide whether you really want to take part in this competition which will last until July and will end up with you having a 1250 point army which you do not have now - fully bought, fully assembled and fully painted. Will cost you a bit of money so please make sure you want to pull this off. And also decide which army it will be. You have time till Sunday to make up your mind because it would be sad if you gave up on the project midway!

Details of the competition will be announced before December. REPutation, fame, glory and entire pages dedicated on the Astro e-zine - and of course, a brand new army awaits all those who participate and work hard!

Cheers and thanks for all your replies,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I shall PM you about my army choice silver, do you require a theme/fluff etc?

If not then meh, if so then that be fine by me. I have many ideas, and as of yet undeceided, but I shall definately focus on the Apostles of Minthras + mercenaries.

Kishvier
14-11-2008, 07:40 PM
A PM will come from me in a few minutes...

Hephesto
15-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Sweet, consider my Relictor stuff (all 6 minis) on full stop till this kicks off! Now to find another mini project to fill the time till januari ;)

Silver
15-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Please no PMs guys for 2 reasons:

1) my PM inbox is bursting at its seams :(

2) I want this to be an open forum let everyone see which army you will do - and with the "first come first serve" rules, two players cannot do the same army (unless it is a different chapter/legion/craftworld/waaagh etc.) so be the first to post your army here! :)

Cheers,
-Silver

Hephesto
15-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Alrighty then:

- Relictor Strike Team, with Xenos mercs

- Should I really make progres with them - that 1k of Speed Freaks or Kroot Mercs I've always wanted to build!

The Dim Reaper
15-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Rogue Daemonhunters with inducted guard. Is that alright?

Cheers,

Dim

EDIT: bugger heph, beat me to it! Alright if i don't get in to this because of duplicate armies I'll just strike out on my own. I want to do this army!:p

Hephesto
15-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Rogue Daemonhunters with inducted guard. Is that alright?

Cheers,

Dim

EDIT: bugger heph, beat me to it! Alright if i don't get in to this because of duplicate armies I'll just strike out on my own. I want to do this army!:p

No worries Dim, there's virtually 0 chance I'll get to them. In addition I can always do traitor guard with a counts as unit thrown in there to represent the fallen inquisitor.

Heck I have a better idea, the Inquisition / IG-combo is all yours! If I can find the time I'll either do that 1k Speed Freaks or Kroot Mercs I've always wanted to do (first post edited).

The Dim Reaper
15-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow, Heph I was not expecting that. Thanks man. I really appreciate it :)

When we get this finished I might just have to make a visit to Tilburg so we can have a game with our finished forces!

Rep cookie for your generosity.

Cheers,

Dim

Hephesto
15-11-2008, 01:39 PM
No problem Dim, wouldn't want to 'steal' somebody's beloved armyidea now would I ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
15-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Expansion of: Apostles of Minthras + Mercenaries (Chaos Space Marines)

Commander: The most hallowed and vaunted Lieutennant Apostle [Name Undecided]

Notable Mercenaries
Iron Warriors
Crusaders of Ultramar [Renegade]

I shall also edit if my ideas become more, but I notice there is a strong theme of chaos going on, which is fine by me. ;)
--------------------------------

@ Silver- I think you should start to lay down your rules, this is an excellent idea, and sorting the legwork will be best.

-------------------------------

Also, I suggest another forum/subforum be made to make the whole process of finding anything related easier. It would also make the place more organised.

Arkaedin
15-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Eh, instead of a subforum, a simple closed sticky with all the logs included for easy navigation would be best IMO

Carrelio
15-11-2008, 05:19 PM
How many armies do you have lined up so far? 3 or 4?

Kishvier
15-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Fine, then I'll openly state Eldar! Yay me!

Silver
15-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Fine, then I'll openly state Eldar! Yay me!

Details please. Army name? Theme? Paint scheme? And think up some nice fluff too ;)

@ Silver- I think you should start to lay down your rules, this is an excellent idea, and sorting the legwork will be best.

I'm just beginning to motivate all participants to post a general idea of their army's theme etc. and this will take a week or two. Don't worry all will be done in time!

Details of the competition will be announced before December.

Okay people it's time for those of you who have NOT yet posted what the theme etc. of their army will be to clearly specify as follows:

Army (example: Space Marines)

Army name (example: Star Sailers)

Paint scheme (example: Blood Red armor & purity seal, Bone white shoulderpads, Shining Gold shoulderpad trim, Regal Blue eyes)

Theme (Infantry-heavy/Mechanized tank oriented/Tactically Flexible) - choose one

Fluff/Background (not too long please ;))

Motivation (what made you decide to pick this army?)

-Silver

Kishvier
15-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Army: Eldar

Name: Warp Hawks

Paint Scheme: Stippled Blues (darker blues, with bright highlights)

Theme: Elite, Fast Striking

Fluff:
-They haven't a Craftworld, but a very large 'fortress' called the 'Warpstar' which flits about the warp.
-They are located near the Eye of Terror when last seen in M40.942.
-Have been seen throughtout the galaxy over the past few centuries.
-Have a deep blue armour that seems to twist and change when moved. Possibly daemonic. (Why Daemon Hunters want them)
-Are currently being hunted by the Witch Hunters, and Daemon Hunters as well as the Thousand Sons and the Hawks of Iron Space Marine chapter.
-Avoid all contact with enemy forces until they can easily destroy them (I.E. Get swarms into short passes, get broken down ships when they are by themselves, ect.) Opportunists.
-Have been thought to have raided and then pirated Imperial ships, are thought to have in their possession the strike cruiser 'Black Viper', a Hawks of Iron ship. (Why Hawks of Iron want them)
-Are thought to have knowledge of the whereabouts of the Black Library. (Why Thousand Sons want them)

Motivation: I've always loved the eldar armour and their tactics. I love the idea of aspect warriors and bright colors (all my armies are dark, no bright highlights).

Hephesto
15-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Army: Space Marines

Name: Relictors

Paint Scheme: Relictor colourscheme with some added dust and bronzes.

Theme: Starting from the new starter marines and more stuff based on background fiction.

Fluff: still wip really, but here's the current 'outline':

Now the army composition is pretty much based on conveniance, stuff I happen to have and the army's background. Picking of where GW left them in the Fluff the chapter has been declared excommunicated, nearly cut down to the last man by the Grey Knights under the command of Inquisitor Cyarro. With just a few hundred men and support left, the remnants of the borderline heretic Relictors have fled into the Eye of Terror for this is the only place even the Grey Knights and the Inquisition do not have the resource to pursue them. Nobody knows if they've completely went over the edge or not.

Here's pretty much where my own stuff enters the picture. All of it is still very wip, so here are the main storylines:
- a single captain survived
- he his remaining men into 3 small strike forces
- each of these is now led by either himself or 2 most veteran survivors
- on the very edge of extinction the Relictors (still convinced that their methods are sounds) seek to strike a devastating blow against the forces of Chaos with their dying breath
- both to fulfill their duty and the prove to the Inquisition their motives were sound
- they seek to destroy the Library of Flame, an Tzeentch-dedicated collection of the most arcane and powerful spells, books and parcements his servants have gathered over the aeons
- an assault on the daemonworld that harbour this shire would be pure insanity
- so they now seek several powerful psychic weapons and devices to mask their approach, hoping that with surprise and the weapons of the enemy on their sides they will prevail where even Tzeentch's most powerful adversaries have failed
- in to breach the Library itself they must destroy 2 more powerful servants of Tzeentch the essence of each they seek to bind in a warping key that will grand the force entrance to the Library of Flame without its master's blessing
- 2 keys are already in their possession, yet 2 more are needed
- so now they risk all in what is most likely the most hopeless missions they've ever undertaken
[- possible inclusion of a Tzeentch character like the Scribes of Fateweaver as a nemisis character]

Now on to the specific force:
- veteran leader with heavily battle-scared warriors
- very small group of surviving veterans and organized together to strike a devastating blow against a Tzeentch warband causing havoc on [planetname yet undecided]
- but only once their summoning of a lord of change is completed
- in addition to 21 warriors, 2 vehicles and the chapter's last surviving dreadnought the strikeforce has struck an alliance with rogue trader Amarandus Karnt
- a bitter man who seeks to avenge the destruction of his homeworld at the hands of the Thousand Sons
- under his 'flag' Karnt has gathered a band of unlikely allies, including several mercenary troops and other more unusual creatures
- these will include Eldar Corsairs, some Barghesi cloners, a mysterious Xenaltian Herbalogist and maybe Karnt himself (not sure yet what I could do with him).

Motivation: After painting that mini in CC's free terminator contest I get all nostalgic about the good old days I used to have with my Relictors and old gamegroup. So I figured why not build a new, small Relictor force when I finally have the focus to paint a mini to a slightly above gameply-level of detail.

The Dim Reaper
16-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Army: Rogue Daemonhunters with Inducted Guard

Army Name: Cell 5276922 (Excommunicatus Traitorus)

Paint Scheme: Inquisition Troops: Red and Black (well they are the Inquisition after all)
Imperial Guard: Purple and Cream (something a little different)

Fluff: (Done in easy to read bullet point form)
-Former Thorian Inquisitor
-Left scarred by fight with daemon
-grew resentful of his disability
-while investigating facility of another Inquisitor of questionable ethics encounters Daemonhost
-Host displays power of the warp including healing Inquisitor
-Inquisitor walks down path of Radical
-Solicits help of Guard army who in their naivety agree and pledge 3 regiments to Inquisitor’s command.
-Inquisitor virus bombs planet to cover tracks and sets out towards Cadian Gate to pursue unkown agenda.

I’m planning on writing a much larger fluff but that will take some time (not to mention be far too long for what you want), will that do for now.

Motivation: I’ve always loved the imagery of an Inquisitor taking to the field against the enemies of the Imperium.
Ever since I read the Dan Abnetts’ Eisenhorn trilogy that outlook has changed slightly. I now love the imagery of an Inquisitor taking to the field and using the enemies of the Imperium against itself!
I’m hoping to start small with the core army and then expand all the while weaving a story from my various battles along the way.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
16-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Alrightz ye panzies!

-----------------------------------
Army name: Apostles of Minthras. Commpany 2 under direct command of Lieutenant [Name Undecided]

Paint scheme: Shall use the B&C Scheme for this. There will be many.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/1/1c/Apostles_MinthRos_Marine.jpg
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/1/15/IronWarriorsMarine.jpg

Theme: Mechanized

Fluff/Background
The Apostles of Minthras took heavy casualties during an attack upon the planet Antecanis, led by the Mighty Despoiler*. They later engaged on a resupplying quest on the forge-world of Arrikkamor V, but were ambushed by an Iron Warriors Task Force and a faction of renegades whom were mostly Disciples of Destruction. After Geoffrey Minthras's ascension to daemon hood, the war bands who had all became part of a lasting meat-grinder from an unexpected ork horde were united under the cause of the Prince. They were weakened and numbered less than three-hundred. However, they escaped from the planet and stocked high on supplies, draining the forge-world of resource and narrowly avoiding contact with the Tau Empire. Later the Apostles would have to lend support again to the Despoiler, only this time they had slowly rebuilt their war-band and were more cautious. They are known to have engaged Craft-World Eldar and Renegades of the Relictors Chapter. They have also engaged Daemon Hunter space marines who had command over a small guard regiment. The conflict so far in the system is light but it has been predicted to escalate.

Motivation
Silver generally gave me motivation to do this, and I want to add to my current army of Apostles and generally get to apocalypse level. I also thought it be about time I added some Rhinos to my force and added a bit more 'choice' to my army and allow me to play larger games such as apocalypse. But yes, when someone says you can join in sometihng like this I shall do so! Oh and yes I pushed ark outta the way! :D I also would like to state it is better to have all the army done bit by bit, rather than prime it and leave it at that as I have been known to do such a thing. :o

*I actually hate this piece of fluff in the BRB, but it is there and it is cannon, so I shall accept it.

Cannon=Official
Official=True!

Please note I have attempted to tie my background with the other To4G entrants, just to spice it up! Fortunately my idea on the armies will tie in well with everyone else's to!

Eodred
16-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Army: Black Templars

Army name: Black Templars (need to do some fluff research as to imp worlds taken by chaos)

Paint scheme: Black, deep red, bone white

Theme: Infantry (heavy/ elite)

Fluff/Background: Celtic based Templars on a crusade to take back an imp world from chaos

Motivation: First 40K army, like the colour scheme, drastic change from dwarfs.

Cheers
E

Kishvier
17-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Fluff is updated.

Ziggy Tempest
17-11-2008, 09:28 PM
How many pounds is 45 euros? :P

The Dim Reaper
17-11-2008, 09:38 PM
About 38 GBP. :)

For anyone across the pond that might be interested:
€45 is also $55 USD and $87 AUD

Cheers,

Dim

Kishvier
17-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey, I was thinking about the $55 a month rule. I have found a flaw in that. If we are to paint 200 points a month with $55 then what happens when I want a unit of 5 Guardian Jetbikes or 5 WraithGuard? Those both cost $75! While I'm unsure of the point value for Wraithguard ATM, I know for a fact that 3 Guardian Jetbikes is less than 200 points, but more than $55. I think we need to change that rule...just speaking out loud.

The Dim Reaper
17-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Thats the flaw with GW I'm afraid. They don't price the same across the board so some units are disproportionally priced when compared to points I'm afraid. Its one of those things. Unfortunatly we can't just raise or lower people's funds per month because it is real money we're talking of and I know that €45 is a serious proportion of my monthly disposable income so I really would not want the tarrif to be raised any more than it already is.

Cheers,

Dim

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-11-2008, 10:08 PM
If you paint any more models than allowed, then you could possibly get some more points, but it is Silver's call man, his word is law in this project.

Kishvier
17-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Well the money is the limit, not the needed amount. I want to include a Guardian Jetbike unit and Wraithguard squad in my army, but with the rules now I can't! I think we should be able to spend however much we want, but if we go over the standing limit now, we can only go up to 200 points. Otherwise my plans get wrecked...

The Dim Reaper
17-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Well the way around that is that you only include either jetbikes or the wraithlord in teh official 'I just spent $55 this month' report when in actual fact you bought a wraithlord as well. It is your money after all, no one can tell you what you can and cannot buy, it just wouldn't be part of the official line up for the article.

Just don't tell Silver!

Cheers,

Dim

Silver
17-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Well the money is the limit, not the needed amount. I want to include a Guardian Jetbike unit and Wraithguard squad in my army, but with the rules now I can't! I think we should be able to spend however much we want, but if we go over the standing limit now, we can only go up to 200 points. Otherwise my plans get wrecked...

Aah Wraithguard. Yeah those boys are REALLY priced unfair I must admit. I can allow you to purchase a squad of 5 for one month's pricetag despite the fact that their combined cost will go 15 dollars over the line. Buying both Wraithguard and Guardian Jetbikes for a month's worth of army expansion is a little too much though (compared to others) But Wraithguard are ridiculously overpriced for what you get, I'll make this an exception to make you happy! :) I hope others will understand that Wraithguard and Grey Knights are few metal exceptions to the otherwise fairly balanced money issue.

-Silver

The Dim Reaper
17-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Also, I'd like to suggest checking ebay Kishvier. That could seriously help with cutting down the 'actual' cost of your wraithguard...

Cheers,

Dim

Arkaedin
17-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Also, I'd like to suggest checking ebay Kishvier. That could seriously help with cutting down the 'actual' cost of your wraithguard...

Cheers,

Dim

yeah, great advice there. got a dreadnought for $12 (free shipping). Check out this guy macspac (i think thats his name) cheap stuff, free shipping, very fast. (hes where i got the dread)

Guzzlrr
18-11-2008, 10:31 AM
it should be a unit/Tank or what ever as most perople cant afford to but 30 bucks worth of stuff every month (i could) but i think as long as you finish with the said points at the end,

GuZZ

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I shall use total wargamer for pa mass purchase, but paint it all bit by bit as if I were using the prices of GamesWorkshop, I believe you entioed that in an earlier post in this thread.

As for going a bit over, no worries from me, so long as you paint models within a certain limit each months. I could not care if you did half of the wraithguard one month and then the other the next month.

I shall be sticking to cheap stuffs so I can get more out of it. Not really bothered about having the bestest army out there, I want an average force which looks good and fits a suitable backgroud.

Ziggy Tempest
18-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I could be in but £40 a month would leave me with no money for other things. :)

I am about to start a new eldar army though anyway...

So what is the target for each month?

A squad or something like a certain amount of points?

Kishvier
18-11-2008, 08:13 PM
The idea is to get 200 or so points a month assembled and painted.

Eodred
18-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Roughly one unit then?
Thats not too bad.
Cheers
E

Ziggy Tempest
18-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I could probably manage that. Though Might be a bit tricky until january...

Eodred
18-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Thats when it starts:D

Silver
18-11-2008, 08:46 PM
The idea is to get 200 or so points a month assembled and painted.

I decided for money instead of points because if I set this up as a limit, people wouldn't be able to add a Land Raider to their force, just as an example. And a Land Raider is only a tad costlier a tactical squad and a half (both money-wise and points-wise).

And it also prevents unit spamming (like purchasing only Guardians or only grots, regardless of the actual money cost ;))

Eodred
18-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Still roughly one unit though :D
What about GS or resin bits or random bits that are added, does that count towards the money allowance?
Cheers
E

Ziggy Tempest
18-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't really think cost should be brought into it. It's not like it's a competition so having a Limit isn't really a good idea either. I think setting a Target would be a better idea, it takes the appeal out when you're forced to spend a certain amount of money each month. What If I only want to get some point expensive elites to round off a 1k list instead of having to buy some models I really don't need at the time?

Silver
18-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I'll think about it, thanks for all your feedback on this project. You'll be receiving the updated list of general rules on Sunday. School is really killing me now :(

Cheers,
-Silver

Kishvier
18-11-2008, 09:04 PM
200 points, hmm...thats true. We seem to be having difficulty, I can't think of anything that doesn't screw armies over, do we have a list of armies being used?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I cannot wait.

@ All of you- This is silver's idea, these are his rules, if you do not like them then back out. I understand a few of you will not be able to constantly pay the price each month, but that is your LIMIT, not the minimum requirement, as I assume.

But yes, wait for the rules and if you can follow them, then by all means stay in.

--------
I know that sounds harsh but I thought brutal honesty was best rather than sugar-coating & smilies.

Eodred
18-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I agree :D
I was just wondering if odd bits or GS would be counted price wise.
Cheers
E

Kishvier
18-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Okay, sounds good, I'm sure you'll figure something out Silver. My last idea is just giving out some exceptions... *tapes mouth shut* Mhhh mhh muh muh. Hmm muh mmm muh.

Ziggy Tempest
18-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Well from the last Tale of X Gamers I don't really recall there being many rules or regulations. As long as you make progress towards your goal each month I can't really see a problem. If the rules aren't flexible enough then you may run into issues. If someone can't finish a squad for one month then they can make up for it the next month.

Hephesto
18-11-2008, 09:19 PM
The previous 2 attempts merely stated a monthly point goal. I believe the actualy values ranged from 200 to 300 points a month.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree :D
I was just wondering if odd bits or GS would be counted price wise.
Cheers
E

I would morally say no, as you would struggle to get aby bit stuffs in there. But yes, it be Silver's call. But I am sure they will not count, only the models.

Skarfang
18-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I can't even remember a points aim for the tale of x gamers that darthxander did - it was pretty much everyone post monthly updates on the progress of their new armies!!

very flexible but that could've been its downfall - hard to tell really, though i have the pride of posting the most updates! ;)

Eodred
18-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks FH :)
Skarfang, would it be worth checking out the Tale of X gamers thread for an idea about this one?
Cheers
E

Skarfang
18-11-2008, 09:53 PM
err if you want though theres not much to find really, some good hobby info though!

search in the modelling forum for tale of x gamers discussion thread or something similar i think that might be an old thread where everything was worked out

Nomad
19-11-2008, 08:27 PM
If there's still room for another participant, I have a Deamon army that needs building,(a single unit of Plague Command doesn't really cut it:()

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a problem with this:

February: 1 HQ and 1 Fast Attack
March: 2 Elites
June: 1 HQ OR 1 Troop and 1 slot of your choice

Would be difficult for me to get that exact, and my plans would be severely hampered. I do apologise, but if I have to back out, then I must do so. :( It is basically because I have no fast attacks. The rest is fine though.

Although: I could ask that instead of filling out a FOC slot, we produce a dedicated transport instead. That would be less strain on me and I suppose many others.

Hephesto
23-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Looking mighty fine Silver, perfect starting date as well! One small question, I'm not planning on any Fast Attack units, so I'll automatically miss one month deadline I'm afraid ;)

Although this might actually be just wait I need to add that extra fiction character I had no idea to put in there. Rogue Trader with mercs as 'count as' bikers or assault marines mayhaps. Might as well make it a 1500 points army while I'm at it, right!

Arkaedin
23-11-2008, 05:48 PM
I edited in that at the end of each 2 month interval, the participant with the most points will be featured in the corresponding mag issue. This is going to be fun to watch grow!

The Dim Reaper
23-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm afraid I have a problem with the fast attack rule as well Silver. You see with your FoC idea I am only ever able to get 2 troop choices until the very last month where I can have 3.
The list which I am using (Rogue Daemonhunters) I need a minimum of 4 troops choices to even get access to fast attack slots.

2 Inquisitoral storm troopers units to be game legal and to get access to inducted IG
then
2 IG troops choices (platoons or armoured fist squads) to get access to my fast attack choices (rough riders or sentinels).

Since I'm not using Grey Knights there is no way for me to use fast attack :(

Cheers,

Dim

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Aye the problem I had was the fact I have lots of troops and a few heavies, no real fast attack. But no problem, thanks Silver!

T'other problem is that I may exceed 1500 points. :D

But yes, anything else I do will be thy bonus. But if I do not adhere to your schedule, I shall recieve one point less. How is that?

The Dim Reaper
23-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I have a suggestion Silver, how about any player may replace any HQ, Elites, Fast Attack or Heavy Support choice with a troops choice after the requirements of the game FoC has been filled (2 troops and 1 HQ slot) provided that by the end of the competition they have at least one of each HS, FA and Elites slots filled in their army.

This allows some customisation and ties in to that troops are the backbone of any army...

just a thought.

Cheers,

Dim

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-11-2008, 06:43 PM
That's ok with me!

Kishvier
23-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Thats cool with me!

Hephesto
23-11-2008, 07:10 PM
And what if we go faster than this schedule, probably won't but who knows right ;)

I'm particulary thinking about my Relictors, with SM points add up quite fast. The real work for me lies
primarily in converting everything, the painting should be straight forward once I get a good routine
going. So what happends if I, for example, would hit the 1500-ish points in 4 months? Except for me
clapping my hands while insanely laughing at my unexpected 'success'!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Then you score all of yer points and we know how much we need to beat.

My answer to it!

Kishvier
23-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I would suppose you'd work on another unit that can replace another, like a Dreadnought?

Ziggy Tempest
23-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Oooh.. this should be sweet. Thing is, I've already got my first Dire avenger squad. Would they still count for the first month, they're just assembled with one partly painted.

I'm still not sure on a craftworld. Though I painted the aforementioned avenger with a Red head plume (Yes I know it's not exactly fluffy) and I feel that even aspect warriors would honour their craftworld in such a way.

I'd be interested in seeing everyone's proposed army lists so we can see how much they change between now and next June. :P

Silver
23-11-2008, 08:04 PM
And what if we go faster than this schedule, probably won't but who knows right ;)

I'm particulary thinking about my Relictors, with SM points add up quite fast. The real work for me lies
primarily in converting everything, the painting should be straight forward once I get a good routine
going. So what happends if I, for example, would hit the 1500-ish points in 4 months? Except for me
clapping my hands while insanely laughing at my unexpected 'success'!

Well since you cannot exceed adding more than 2 slots of the FoC per month to your army, I doubt you will be able to outrun the others so quickly...unless you maximize all your squads and give them the costliest wargear...no wait a minute. That would mean you'll reach the 1500 point limit before you get to include all mentioned Foc slots in the first place lol. Better not! :)

Oooh.. this should be sweet. Thing is, I've already got my first Dire avenger squad. Would they still count for the first month, they're just assembled with one partly painted.

Well you better keep your impatiently jumpy fingers down until 1st of January, mate! But I'll let them count if you put them safely in a locked cupboard till next year ;)

UPDATE I've changed the FoC requirements per month a little bit by order. Ultimately, you end up having 3 Troops and 1 FoC slot of your choice, (so that's 4 troops choices for you by month 3, Dim and Fire Harte this should satisfy you both :D)

Also Fire Harte, if you look at the possible combos, you are only forced to take 1 Fast Attack, no more. Including 1 Fast Attack will make your army a bit more all-comers/balanced and realistic.:)

-Silver

The Dim Reaper
23-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Very happy, thanks Silver!

Cheers,

Dim

EDIT: Just to reitarate though, dedicated transports count as fast attack now, right?

Hephesto
23-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Hold on does this mean I'm not 'allowed' to finish anything more than the quota units each month?

This would make things rather weird as I currently have planned:
- 1 HQ
- 4 Troops
- 3 Elites
- 1 Fast Attack
- 0 Heavy Support (background reasons)

Which would mean that after month 3 I start running into FOC problems, which for some odd reasons sounds very dirty ;)

Perhaps we could make it 2 FOC units of your choice if you happen to not have extra units
available in the proposed slots? I still run out of units before the 6 months are over though,
12 units is rather a lott for certain forces.

Edit - I've shelved my half-finished conversions till januari, so they won't even see the light till then. The only 'finished'
mini is my test-scheme free terminator ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Participant has expanded his army as required: 5 points
Participant has expanded his army by 1 not-required slot alone OR 2 not required slots OR by 3 or more slots: 1 point
Participant has not expanded his army: 0 points.

That actually sorts out this:

February: 1 HQ and 1 Troop
March: 1 Elite and 1 FoC slot of your choice
June: 1 Elite and 1 HQ OR 1 Elite and 1 Fast Attack

I actually did not notice that in my blind rush to comment. I do apologise immediately. These rules are well set out and I daresay they do not actually need change. :o

Silver
23-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Hold on does this mean I'm not 'allowed' to finish anything more than the quota units each month?

This would make things rather weird as I currently have planned:
- 1 HQ
- 4 Troops
- 3 Elites
- 1 Fast Attack
- 0 Heavy Support (background reasons)

I've changed the 2nd obligatory HQ to another "your choice" FoC slot.

It would only mean that you would miss out on 2 Heavy Support, thus falling back by 4 points compared to others. But since we know you are a great and enthusiastic converter, you can easily get these points back by fiction and conversions (1 point gained for every troop with at least 5 models per troop converted)

EDIT: Just to reitarate though, dedicated transports count as fast attack now, right?

No. I'm afraid you have to include 1 Fast attack choice to make your army a little bit more versatile. I hope you won't back out just because of this one, mate?

-Silver

Kishvier
23-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not going to include more than 1 Fast Attack choice in my army, so can we change that to heavy support? My army is going to be real heavy...

Hephesto
23-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for clearing things up Silver, looks like I'll miss a few points here and there due to not having HS and only 1 Fast Attack. Heck, I'll just have to converting things a bit more, write some fiction etc ;)

Silver
23-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not going to include more than 1 Fast Attack choice in my army, so can we change that to heavy support? My army is going to be real heavy...

Guys please view the rules properly - you don't have to include more than 1 Fast Attack in your army! And you get all 5 points for all months at the same time.

As for Ziggy Tempest, remember that you can also include 0 Fast Attacks in your army - only in that month, you'll get 3 instead of 5 points.

Ziggy Tempest
23-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Could you add the rules to the first post Silver?

So they're easier to find. :D

Kishvier
23-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Agh! I did not see the change, I second Ziggy!

The Dim Reaper
23-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Your funny, I like that :D

No I'm not quitting, I've put far too much planning into this to quit.

I do however have another problem however. Because of the force I'm using I can only realistically choose 1 FA choice, that being a sentinel squadron (which is also 0-1 for me), alternatively I could theorietically choose rough riders but they are all OOP and I really really don't want to use them, I find them ugly and underpowered. The only FA option in the DH Codex is for GKs only so thats them out. I've tried to offset this limitation by including lots of transports for my troops but that is a compremise

Can we say that after your first initial FA slot is filled the others can be filled with dedicated transports for troops as using any sort of transport as part of your troops choices is a really big disadvantage both timewise and financially (and this is people's money we are talking about) so IMO this would help keep the playing field more even....

Sorry to be at you like this.

Cheers,

Dim

Silver
23-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't quite understand you, Dim. You can either take those Sentinels as 1 FA choice or take none at all, at the cost of 2 points in total. Thats it!

Dedicated transports occupy no FoC slots. You are not forced to take any FA slots...just see the sentence above.

Could you add the rules to the first post Silver?

Done! :)

The Dim Reaper
23-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Ah right, that's grand. I'll do that so! :D

Cheers,

Dim

Hephesto
23-11-2008, 09:48 PM
One final question, let's say that I manage to complete my FOC 'goals' for the first 3 months in 2 months. Can I continue on. or am I going to loose points due to being speedy. Which would be a first for me, but once I get rolling things can actually go pretty fast ;)

Main reason I ask this is that although I have plenty of other projects still lined up, I do not want to cloud my focus and motivation for this small force.

Silver
23-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Let me understand it by repeating:

You want to have 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 3 Troops and 1 FoC slot of your choice in 2 months. And you will continue the arms race in a normal way regarding April, May and June's requirements.

And you are sure you can assemble and paint the above mentioned FoC slots all in 2 months?

Since you have plenty of other projects lined up, why don't you simply start work on them parallel to this competition starting from January already? ...think about it. :)

Hephesto
23-11-2008, 10:24 PM
:D I just find it a strange idea having to stop working on an army once you hit soem FOC goal. For the first month this could mean I'd be done with 6 minis, 5 snipers and a Captain. Ah well, I could always start work on my transport vehicles in the mean time ;)

Nomad
24-11-2008, 12:58 AM
This is going to be fun. Nice job on the rules etc Silver, I can see no prblems.

Heph, if you finish your whole requirement in a month, paint on. Then simply photograph and post them during the appropriate month. Between times you can write your fiction ...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-11-2008, 09:19 AM
@Heph- Let's be honest, we all work at different speeds and I for one will struggle slightly to get two squads done a month. If ye cannot stay yer hand, then you lose points! :) Besides, a smaller squad means more time for fiction/battlereport/conversions etc.

-------------------------

Ok guys, the rules are very straight forward. As Silver has a full PM box and he is busy with school, I may as well PM everyone the rules. Therefore there will be no excuse for not knowing them.

-----------------------

A question about conversions now.

What would be registered as a significant conversion?

Ziggy Tempest
24-11-2008, 11:07 AM
:D I just find it a strange idea having to stop working on an army once you hit soem FOC goal. For the first month this could mean I'd be done with 6 minis, 5 snipers and a Captain. Ah well, I could always start work on my transport vehicles in the mean time ;)

Psst..

Just don't tell anyone and then you have a headstart for the next month :D

Hephesto
24-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Aye, that's the spirit ;)

As for a true conversion, good question actually. Any significant bit swap or green stuff addition should do I'd say. This to make certain everybody stands a chance to convert stuff, not just the lads who have been doing it for years?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Alright, I shall PM everyone 'Da Rulez' now as I have got home from schoolios.

Just note I shall send them to you so you have them at hand for revision of rules, you could even copy/paste to have them on your hard drive. But regardless, if you do not want them, keep them anyway. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

---------------
Disclaimer- I am doing this to make things easier for y'all.

Nomad
25-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks Harte.

Good luck fellow competitors, have fun and all that...

Kishvier
25-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Yep, back at you!

The Dim Reaper
25-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Indeed, I wish you all the best.

Now eat my dust losers :D

Cheers,

Dim

Eodred
25-11-2008, 09:16 PM
You can't start yet, so there's no dust to eat :p
There won't be any later either ;) :p

Eodred
27-11-2008, 08:55 AM
With the modelling logs are we going to have seperate threads in the comps forum, the modelling forum or are we just gouing to post in one big thread for everyone?
I have ideas that I want opinions on thats all.
Cheers
E

Silver
27-11-2008, 07:12 PM
With the modelling logs are we going to have seperate threads in the comps forum, the modelling forum or are we just gouing to post in one big thread for everyone?
I have ideas that I want opinions on thats all.
Cheers
E

We'll have one thread with the title "Tale of 8 Gamers: Insert name here's log" for each participant. Thus, commants to his thread by other users can be directly addressed to him and he can post all his monthly progress logs + pics there.

If we made one huge thread for all, it would become extremely confusing! :o
-Silver

Eodred
28-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Ah thank you :D
So, when can we start putting up ideas for opinions and/or advice?
I'd do it now, but I don't want to be accused of cheating if we're not allowed yet.
Cheers
E

Ziggy Tempest
02-12-2008, 09:02 PM
You know. It looks like I won't be able to take part in this anymore. I'm going to be pennyless for a few months now so I won't be able to afford a new army. =/

Skarfang
02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
hmmm well if ziggy can't make it...

i do have my salamanders, which although already started, only contain a commander, command squad, 5 man tac squad and a razorback

i've got all the AoBR minis to add plus another unit of 10 marines i still have to paint...

I can step in if you like guys though i don't mind tbh, they'll get done one day! ;)

Silver
02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
You know. It looks like I won't be able to take part in this anymore. I'm going to be pennyless for a few months now so I won't be able to afford a new army. =/

There's always ebay if you REALLY are broke.

And besides, you only get 5 points if you purchase both required FoC slots. If you don't, you aren't automatically kicked, but simply receive less points.

Nomad
11-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Did I see somewhere a points limit to the army? Or is it open?

Silver
11-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Did I see somewhere a points limit to the army? Or is it open?

It's open, but the idea behind this project is to help starters build up a decent, playable army, not one full of each and every nifty little upgrade possible. ;)

-Silver

P.S: Ziggy, post again if you REALLY want to back out of this before it is too late!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I shall subscribe to this thread and all others that involve the project. I advise others involved to as well.

khaine
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
i really cant w8 for this to start, ive been doing some test models for the army and im just itching to go!!!!

Silver
11-12-2008, 05:48 PM
If Ziggy Tempest can't join, I'm thinking if I can jump in with my new Tau army Santa will hopefully deliver on time...of course, only with your allowance guys!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
I thought you were going to anyway mate. ;)

It would mean you would have to pass on most of the judging and all. But yes, I assumed you would be a-joinin' in.

Also, if you like, I shall personnally PM all of the participants to see if they are still interested.

Arkaedin
11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
When's the first deadline? If it's after January 1st (or really close to it) do you think you could write a brief blurb about it for the mag silver?

Silver
11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
When's the first deadline? If it's after January 1st (or really close to it) do you think you could write a brief blurb about it for the mag silver?

The deadline is January 31st for the first batch of FoC slots (2 Troops choices which have to be assembled, painted and either a battle played + battle report or fiction written as well as a summary of what the guy did that month, why he chose that army, colorscheme etc see 1st post on this thread for details and points awarded)

And what exactly do you want me to write for the mag, Ark? Something along the lines of

"Hi all, I'm hosting a competition similar to the WD tale of 4 gamers, only its with 8 gamers this time all from Astronomican. Over the next 6 months starting from January 2st, we will be........etc."? (Kinda like an intro on the upcoming project?)

-Silver

Arkaedin
11-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Yep, exactly that would be perfect. Just whenever you feel like writing it up you can just PM it to me since that would be easiest. Thanks man

Silver
11-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Yep, exactly that would be perfect. Just whenever you feel like writing it up you can just PM it to me since that would be easiest. Thanks man

Always a pleasure. When is the deadline for the next Astro mag issue? I'm afraid I only will have time after 23rd December.

Arkaedin
11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Something that small (since it's not an article and I can probably look it over in 5 minutes) I would only need sometime in that last week of December. I'm planning on getting the issue out in the first week of January.

Hephesto
12-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Just been looking through this stuff again and I´ve hit a bit of a snag for me. The set-up forces me to take 12 forceslots, which as you may imagine is a tough one for a Space Marine gamers. In addition I had no Fast Attack or Heavy Support choice, may be able to find a way around that. But there´s no way I can fit 12 force slots into a 1500 points army. Any suggestions? And no I do not want to expand the army any further than that ;)

Silver
12-12-2008, 07:59 PM
How many force slots are your maximum budget?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
12-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I have checked this and I see no points limit.

Bytemeh2
12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow. This is the first time I've seen this, but it looks awesome. I wish I would have seen it way back when, I would have held off on my new chaos force and participated. Then again Jan - April is my heavy work time... not sure I could keep up. :)

Oh well, if it ends up working out, I'll jump in for the next one after the new IG codex is out; I'm going to start from scratch with them when it does.

Nomad
13-12-2008, 04:21 AM
I have checked this and I see no points limit.

I was sure I saw something about 1500 pt, but cant see anything after the official rules. Can you clear it up for us Silver?:cool:

Hephesto
13-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Aiming for 1500 points myself, that way I´ll avoid 2 months of gaining 0 points due to not having enough slots filled and no heavy support ;)

Kishvier
14-12-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm going to do the bare minimum of troops (2 squads of 5) since I'm short on my budget. I'm just hoping I make out well during Christmas!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
16-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Ok guys, just to let you know where I stand. I may or may not be getting the stuff I require for this project, but as my mum has been persistend in getting EXACTLY what I want for christmas for the last three years, I hope I get what I want.

But yes, if I do not get any chaos marines, I will surely expand on my orks using any crimbo/birthday money I should recieve.

Whatever happens, I will be in this competition unless if the event is terrible, but I doubt that will happen.
------------------

But yes, cannot wait! :D

Kishvier
16-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Your telling me, I'm tempted to open a box and start working now...:rolleyes:

Silver
16-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Your telling me, I'm tempted to open a box and start working now...:rolleyes:

15 days left Kiskvier....just be patient!

Of course there's no one to stop you from doing everything now....but it's kinda like betraying yourself, is it not? So be patient! ;)

Nomad
17-12-2008, 09:27 AM
SILVER: Please tell us if there is a point limit/requirement on this. We need to know!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Check yer rules nomad. Why I PM'd 'em to ya! ;)

See a points limit?

Nope, nor do I.

Of silver makes an update I shall PM you the rules.

__________________________________________________ ____________

EDITZZ!!

If I have a troop transport and a squad, can I convert the transport and still earn points for converting significantly?

Silver
17-12-2008, 06:37 PM
No points limit, but remember that you are awarded 3 points if you play 1 battle per month with your army and then it is a good idea to not give all your guys all upgrades possible (except maybe in January if you want to play combat patrol with your 2 troops choices) or it won't be a decent enough armylist for victory!

If I have a troop transport and a squad, can I convert the transport and still earn points for converting significantly?

Good thing to remind me: I hadn't mentioned vehicles....yes you can, Fire Harte.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
17-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Excellent, thank thee very much Silver.

Hephesto
17-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Good thing I have no opponents then, will give me all creative freedom ;)

Seriously though, is it alright if I get working on my 'workschedule' and
fiction expantion/cleaning this weekend? That way I can get everything
sorted so there's nothing in my way to hit the ground running on the first.
Well, better make that the second of januari...hangover and all!

Kishvier
17-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Haha, the second is reserved for getting back on my feet, I am known to go to wild parties and it isn't even with hangovers (No alcohol and such since I'm under the drinking age).

Nomad
17-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Thankyou Silver.

FireHarte: I read my rules, Heph was talking points limits in an earlier thread.

Hehehe, I get a head start, due purely to geography. hehe

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-12-2008, 08:18 AM
But you also lose time at the end. Hehe!

Nomad
18-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Ah, no I don't. because the close is also later... I gain 14 hours a month = 84 hours in total = 3.5 days :D

Hephesto
18-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Really looking forward to getting started on this. After being out of the hobby for nearly 3 months now I have so many cool ideas and plans. So anybody else want to lift the veil of secrecy a bit and share what you have planned?

Here's my rough outline:
- background driven army that will most likely get it's backend handed to them in a real fight (I have scout snipers for example)
- loads and loads of conversion work, including several xenos mercs of excisting and new races
- hopefully some major background story work, pretty sure I'll break the monthly limit on this one ;)
- secret side-project I'll be working on at the same time
- multiple possible HQ choices, all heavily converted. Idea behind this is to a) give me flexible characters to play with. And b) to get various of my background characters in the flesh. And naturally I just love making characters!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Don't we all!

So far I have so many ideas! :(

But yes, I await yours Heph, fellow chaos worshipper. :D

Hephesto
18-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks mate, though my lads still think they're doing it all for the good of the Imperium. Background so far is mostly misguided, but not evil just yet. Dangerously close on the edge, but still loyal. Just excommunicated and hunted ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
18-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Ah well, join the winning side mate!

Stop followin' the corpse good!!

Kishvier
18-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Agreed, for the gods of chaos!:D

Eodred
18-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Bah humbug.

For the greatest human to have ever walked the 40k universe.

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
19-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Ah, no I don't. because the close is also later... I gain 14 hours a month = 84 hours in total = 3.5 days :D

Ah yes you do!

because when you finish, I have another 14 hours before my deadline! :p

Same with every day of the month!

Nomad
20-12-2008, 12:25 AM
No, I do gain 14 hours. This is because the deadline is English time.

I don't gain it every month though, I was wondering if you would pick up on that.

Kishvier
20-12-2008, 12:29 AM
We'll all get the same time, and how are we to prove if someone hits the starting time by a few days?

Hephesto
20-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Don't think we really need to, this is just for fun and to keep us motivated with a new army. Let's not loose sight of the most important rule - having fun ;)

Kishvier
20-12-2008, 02:02 AM
So your saying I could start now?;)

Silver
20-12-2008, 11:06 AM
No, I do gain 14 hours. This is because the deadline is English time.

Correction: The deadline is Austrian local time (GMT +1) - we have wintertime here, too. ;)

So you are allowed to start work at 1.1.2009 00h:00m:00s and have time to do the following:

-assemble 2 troops choices

-paint them

-write a log summarizing your work, challenges etc.

Bonus (don't have to do):

-either write some fluff (750 - 1000 words) or play a battle (regardless of win or loss) and post a battlereport with pics

-conversion: +1 point awarded for every FoC slot converted (minimum of 5 models per troop per month).

...till 31.1.2009 23h:59m:59s (GMT+1)

Silver
20-12-2008, 11:21 AM
New announcement: Sadly, Ziggy Tempest cannot participate in our project and thus, I'll jump in so that the 8 gamers will indeed remain 8 in number :)

Cheers,
-Silver

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
20-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Will we have a panel of judges to decide on our points allocations?

Considering that you are now a participant it would make it slightly biased.

Silver
20-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Will we have a panel of judges to decide on our points allocations?

Considering that you are now a participant it would make it slightly biased.

Not really.....the points awarded to the participant doesn't require any judges. It's just based on...

whether or not you have assembled the required troops choices,

1) Painting: the number of models you have painted using at least 3 different colors.

2) Conversion: the number of models you have converted (5 per troop to get +1 point per troop)

3) Points for the fiction is based on the amount of words you write (no less than 750, no more than 1000).

4) Points for the battle are based on the existence of a battlereport + some pictures.

As you can see, there really is no chance I can be biased, as we all have to post pictures on our work to get any points in the first place :p

-Silver

Hephesto
20-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Just out of curiosity what constitutes as a converted model, anything from a basic item/weapon/head-swap to a full on total conversion?

And no I'm not fishing to get those extra points, just curious as this could really encourage people to add that extra personal touch to their new force ;)

Silver
20-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Just out of curiosity what constitutes as a converted model, anything from a basic item/weapon/head-swap to a full on total conversion?

And no I'm not fishing to get those extra points, just curious as this could really encourage people to add that extra personal touch to their new force ;)

Well it should stand out from the crowd. For starters, a

Greenstuff detailing and
Special Base that stands out from the rest

should do the trick.

-Silver

Kishvier
20-12-2008, 05:00 PM
What happens if we just reposition some arms or legs in a real cool pose, or make a cool new pole-axe-chain-weapon?

Silver
20-12-2008, 05:15 PM
or make a cool new pole-axe-chain-weapon?

thats a good start. But I'd like the repositioning to be something dramatic for it to count, too. Or, if most of the 8 gamers can agree, then we can let it pass, too.

Kishvier
20-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Okay, so if I have a guy with a chain thingy thats kneeling would that work?

Silver
20-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay, so if I have a guy with a chain thingy thats kneeling would that work?

and perhaps do some cool thing with his head and you're all fine :D

Kishvier
20-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Okay, if you haven't already guessed I have an idea hatching.;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
20-12-2008, 07:44 PM
If you are just kit bashing then I would not say that is major conversion matey. Kit bashing is effortless in most cases. But I would give you points if your conversion was interesting and I can clearly see effort.

Kishvier
20-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Okay, gotcha. Thanks.

Eodred
20-12-2008, 08:56 PM
So would converting standard bolters into pre heresy ones count, or how much extra would I have to do?

Cheers
E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
20-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Hmm, I would say yes to that. It is a notable conversion which has had a lot of effort into them. If it were just an older bolter from an older kit, then no. But if you converted one then yes.

If you make it stand out it scores with me. Not that my word is law like.

@ Kish- Although I do apologise, you would not be kit bashing in those examples you made. But a notable conversion is like the pre-heresy bolter or a bionic arm. But I would say if it looks really different then yes, points. But we can all do a kit bash. But a unique look would be the defining point. Yes an arm from another box is no conversion, but making the arm fit in and a bit of intensive pinning would award the points.

I apologise if I make no sense. One cannot usually tell without being told so.

Eodred
20-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Ah, interesting, thanks :)
I'm planning on doing 6 of these, so good to know they'll count.

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
23-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, after a bit of reflection big E, I guess it would come down to the opinion of the other participants and any onlookers.

But yes, I now ask if anybody has any worries about the project that needs answering. (Serious here)

Kishvier
24-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Must resist urge to build christmas presents...:mad:

Silver
24-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Must resist urge to build christmas presents...:mad:

Just one week to go!

But yes, I now ask if anybody has any worries about the project that needs answering. (Serious here)

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Fire Harte! Indeed folks, any questions you have please ask here instead of PMing me so that all others may also get their doubts cleared in the process. With just 1 week left before the project starts, we have to be well prepared. :)

Cheers,
-Silver

Hephesto
24-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Only one small inquiry, can we write fiction each month or is there a limit on how many times we can get that bonus? Not really in it for the points, but it would make for some nice encouragement to get me writing on a series of shorts instead of my normal one-offs ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-12-2008, 09:27 PM
The rules say you can add a piece of fiction or battle report each month.

Provided you meet the demands of the word minimum/maximum and the grammar/spelling criteria, then yes, go ahead: one for each month!

-------
Although, once writing you fiction, please for the love of gork use Open Office or Microsoft word to make spotting errors in grammar/spelling and word count easier.

Hephesto
24-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Superb, and good call on the word-suggestion. Good chance I'll go over that 1500 word count max a few times, got some good ideas written down ;)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
24-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Just so you know, the fiction is 750-1000, the summary of your monthly events is 1,000 to 1,500.

Hephesto
24-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Quite right, believe the rule was that when you went over the word max for the fiction you'd only get a single point.

Silver
24-12-2008, 10:56 PM
In fact Hephesto, there's no one stopping you from writing as much fiction as you want, so if you value the freedom of your inspirations more than one extra point, then by all means, keep writing and make us happy with new things to read! :)

-Silver

Hephesto
24-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll do my best, already have a graphical line-out of the story. With different character storylines, sequences, events and the grand finale......merely a matter of getting a good start and a logical and interesting story sequence. The easiest way at first seemed to follow the order in which I add my mandatory units to the army, but with some new ideas floating around I'll have to rethink things a bit.

Which reminds me, I plan to follow the monthly unit schedule as far as I can stretch my armylist. Sticking to finishing only those 2 units each month, am I however allowed to make replacement units? I know, odd question. I was merely planning on converting a whole range of Independant Characters to represent my fiction characters. Which is kind of a side-effect to thinking to much about my army's background during an exam last week where I had to wait for 2,5 hours for the damned thing to arrive. It suddenly hit me that I could easily replace my 100 point librarian with either a chaplain or a master of the forges. In addition they would also give me more characters to choose from should I get to play some games ;)

Eodred
25-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Why is there an absolute ban on second hand models?
I can understand it if the model is assembled and painted, but if the thing needs stripping, rebuilding, repairing and painting, shouldn't it be allowed?

Also, I like the sound of your idea Heph, were you thinking of extra points or just not being penalised?

Cheers
E

Nomad
25-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Why is there an absolute ban on second hand models?
I can understand it if the model is assembled and painted, but if the thing needs stripping, rebuilding, repairing and painting, shouldn't it be allowed?

Also, I like the sound of your idea Heph, were you thinking of extra points or just not being penalised?

Cheers
E

I think the ban is against Finished models. A model that is rebuilt/repainted by you should be fine in my interpretation.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
25-12-2008, 01:50 PM
If you cannibalize parts and such, fine by me!

The ban is on second hand models which are already assembled and such. Don't think it is fair now is it?

However, if you manage to acquire second hand goods which are unassembled etc via trade or auctions sites, I won't hate you. Do so, but take a picture to prove it first.

Eodred
25-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Ah no, it was assembled, it took me ages to dismantle it.
Now to find the parts needed to fix it :eek:

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
25-12-2008, 02:55 PM
A brand new spankin' box of models!! :eek:

Eodred
25-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Far too expensive.
Land Raider or unit?

Unit wins.

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
25-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, so long as you model it and paint it afresh, I would be ok with it like.

Silver
25-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Fire Harte just said it ;)

Purchasing assembled models is a no-go. And generally, these tend to be second hand, so perhaps my wording was a bit inaccurate...

Eodred
25-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Ah so as long as it either requires assembly or dis-assembly it's fine?

Excellent :D

Cheers
E

Hephesto
26-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Well it took me upping my armytotal to 1850 points, 2 Space Marine chapters and 3 xenos mercenary races, but I got the whole thing planned out now. I got all 6 months perfectly filled out with the necesary FOC slots. I have only 2 small glitches left, both on the design side. First I need to get some serious time in on the colourscheme side, all these different army elements still need to feel like they belong together. I have a subjugator assault squad planned as allies and one xenos element is plant-based, so greens there. Just need to find something effective for the other xenos element (more on those as soon as januari hits).

Secondly there is the issue of my planned 'Xenalthan herbalogist', coming up with an image of a floral / tech-combo sounds simple. But I still need to be able to make it, looks like I'll be spending some time with some wood elf dryad sprue ;)

So, how is everybody else coming along with their planning?

Nomad
26-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Planning is going well.

1st month will be a unit of Plague Bearers and another of Daemonettes. The following will be Khorne Bloodletters and 2 heralds. I'll decide which at the time.

Eodred
26-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I know roughly what I'm going to do, but none of the stuff's been bought yet.
Still a few slots that are being problematic :mad:

Cheers
E

Edit I have another question, the Emperors Champion can be used as the sole commander of a Black Templars army, but doesn't use a FOC slot. Can that be my HQ model for Feb?

Eodred
26-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I've just worked out the points of doing each FOC slot requirement: 2010

Is it just me or does that seem a bit extreme?!.

E

Silver
26-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I know roughly what I'm going to do, but none of the stuff's been bought yet.
Still a few slots that are being problematic :mad:

Well they'll only be problematic for you if you are aiming to get full score points every month in the FoC chart. Remember that you can also only add 1 of the required 2 FoC slots in a particular month, but then of course, you will not get as many points.....but it's still an option, so no "end of the world" if your armylist doesn't fit in with the FoC chart plan ;)

Edit I have another question, the Emperors Champion can be used as the sole commander of a Black Templars army, but doesn't use a FOC slot. Can that be my HQ model for Feb?

I'm afraid not. I also have the BT Codex and while you can, indeed, find his stats in the HQ section of the Codex, there is no mention of him taking up any HQ slot in fact - any FoC slot whatsoever, so I'm afraid we have to stick to the rules.

But because an effective EC costs 140 points, I think we all can agree in letting you use him as the 2nd HQ FoC slot due as "an FoC slot of your choice" in one of the next couple of months.

Eodred
26-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Ah, no, I have other plans for those slots.

You're right he doesn't use up a FOC slot, but you can use him as your only commander.

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-12-2008, 01:14 PM
But how hard would it be to paint the EC and another character as well as another unit in one month?

As for the points, my army is heading towards there to. :D

Right then, I need to go out and buy another terminator lord, just saw a competition on Mini War Gaming and had to sorry. But yes, I wll post a picture on this thread of him, and the competitors and observors can decide if it is a good enough conversion and that can be a test judge for us. Not now I'm afraid, using another laptop and I am without a usb cable for my camera. :(

Silver
26-12-2008, 01:25 PM
you can use him as your only commander.

Where does it say so?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-12-2008, 01:39 PM
FAQ

EDIT: You'll have to check though, I ain't got the right laptop.

Eodred
26-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I've got the FAQ on my pc but I was trying to find a link, no luck :(
I can send you a copy if you want?

E

Silver
26-12-2008, 01:52 PM
FAQ

EDIT: You'll have to check though, I ain't got the right laptop.

I checked the Errata/FAQ - no mention of that. All I gleaned was that Land Speeders cannot fire any weapon the turn they deepstrike because they then count as having moved over 12''.

http://oz.games-workshop.com/errata/assets/40k/BlackTemplarsFAQ.pdf

Eodred
26-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Here you go: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180125_Black_Templars_FAQ_2006-08_5th_Edition.pdf

What do you reckon?
E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Think that ones outdated.

See if I can find a linkyfor the superior british one. :p

EDIT: The two articles are vastly different indeed:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180125_Black_Templars_FAQ_2006-08_5th_Edition.pdf

Eodred
26-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Here's the UK one: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180125_Black_Templars_FAQ_2006-08_5th_Edition.pdf

E

Eodred
26-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Um, Harte the link you posted is the same as the ones I've posted :confused:
The only one that is different is the one silver posted.

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-12-2008, 02:16 PM
haha, I actually posted my post in response to silver. 3 links to the same faq. :D

Safe to see we are faqed a little! :D

Eodred
26-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Good pun sah :D

E

Edit So does this mean that I can have the EC as my HQ choice for Feb?

Silver
26-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Overwhelmed with 3 links giving me the finger regarding my lack of up-to-date knowledge (:D), I'll allow Eodred to use the EC as his first HQ choice!

Cheers,
-Silver

Eodred
26-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Ah thankye kindly :D

Should I post the list of what I'm planning?

E

Silver
26-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Ah thankye kindly :D

Should I post the list of what I'm planning?

E

No, I think we're all good game for a surprise every month!

Eodred
26-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Alright then, surprised you shall be :D

E

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I find an armly list restricting to go by myself.

I shall make it up as I go along. :D