PDA

View Full Version : has any one bought any COD kits ?

mark
07-06-2006, 03:08 AM
im really tempted by one (cant remebre which i think its the palace one) but wasnt sure about quailty or value for money.

and has any one bought the urban baseing kits im tempted by them as well but not sure wheater to phurches

Post edited by: mark, at: 2006/06/07 03:08

Captain Toenail
07-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Yeah. The COD stuff is pretty tempting. I am thinking about getting one of the ?15 boxes for use in Kill Team. Everyone has been telling me to make my own terrain because COD is a waste of money.:unsure:

mark
07-06-2006, 03:19 AM
thing is i find it hard to get the right mtrials at a decent price that i will be saveing money, plus i already have some bought terrain and carboard ruins just dont match.

grinkohof
07-06-2006, 03:31 AM
if you take your time on making your own scenery then they can match any GW scenery. i have about nine buildings so far and they look great together. the only thing i\'m tempted by is the basing materials.

mark
07-06-2006, 03:35 AM
i like the look of the resin bits the most but the slate i just find in my garden the razor wire looks ok as well

DavicusPrime
07-06-2006, 04:13 AM
I am really conflicted on this stuff... I know I can make stuff that is reasonably close to what\'s in these kits except for the decorative details.

Trick is making your own scenery that is within 50% of the detail on these kits is a nightmare of a time commitment.

I\'m of the mind to buy a couple kits and use the pannels and bitz in concert with some homemade structure to make unique and fully customized designs while letting the kits provide the details I can\'t readily reproduce.

In the Black Gobbo an issue ago, they had an article by the CoD designers and they showed some examples of how they did just that. They built buildings using the CoD kit parts, foamcard, plasticard, etc. to make some very impressive pieces... But then they do it for a living and I have to find the time between Work, family and life to build these things.

Me thinks I\'ll end up buying more than I scratch build.

-DavicusPrime

Gaius Julius
07-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Nope, I\'ve already made my own city terrain!

GJ

Skrall
07-06-2006, 04:19 AM
I\'m buying the moddeling kits, there cool and only ?10.

Lupercal

Teslatrooper
07-06-2006, 04:52 AM
I am just getting the battle mat, then I will add my own buildings. I think I will get the counters also. :)

DavicusPrime
07-06-2006, 05:36 AM
I will definatly buy the book and strategem counters as soon as they are released in the states... But everything else is in the air.

The basing kit is not really very interesting to me. I can make razorwire pretty easily and the slate can be found around the yard or made via plaster if I really needed it. The bitz would come from the building kits themselves. Take spare parts and break them up.

The counters are great. Had this been a boxed set like Macragge, I would have expected these to be part of the deal.

The buildings are spiffy, but spendy. I\'ll most likely mix them into scratchbuild stuff to break up the uniformity and to keep the cost down. Looks like the best deal is to get one of the larger boxed sets to begin with. So that\'s probably what I\'ll do... eventually.

I\'ve already begun to make Razorwire for about a tenth the GW asking price. Other than the toll bending wire has taken on my fingers the effort has been reasonable.

Barricades can easily be made from spare bitz and bobs from building kits, imperial accessory sprues and scrap from other terrain projects.

So GW will get some of my cash... but not as much as they would like. :)

-DavicusPrime

TheSovereign
07-06-2006, 08:01 AM
mark wrote:

im really tempted by one (cant remebre which i think its the palace one) but wasnt sure about quailty or value for money.

and has any one bought the urban baseing kits im tempted by them as well but not sure wheater to phurches<br><br>Post edited by: mark, at: 2006/06/07 03:08

Bought the basing kit at Games Day and it looks pretty good. Haven\'t used it yet but it seems like fairly good value for the price. The resin bits are the main draw for me, although the slate and barbed wire will be fairly useful as well.

Indra
07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Heres a link to an article I wrote. It may be useful!

Terrain Article: How to make a lot of terrain for little money (http://www.astronomican.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Item id=60)

Hope this helps!

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/06/07 14:41

Captain Toenail
08-06-2006, 12:15 AM
I dont actually need any terrain. I got 3 bagfulls of rocky desert hills and trees from my Games Workshop a few months ago for free!:P It wasn\'t suitable for something or other. You should have seen the gamers swarm over the box of terrain like flys! I have had a really good idea for a new piece of terrain. Chaotic underground tunnels full of the usual Chaos stuff, blood, skulls and spikes.

grinkohof
08-06-2006, 01:27 AM
i wish i got free terrain...*grumbles*...

Captain Toenail
08-06-2006, 02:53 AM
We sometimes get free White Dwarfs as well, but they are always half a year out of date!

DavicusPrime
08-06-2006, 04:27 AM
The thing that forces me to do more work is that I like all my stuff to match... similar to Indra\'s thing for static grass. B) So Getting free terrain would end up just being free raw material if I can determine if it would be useful at all.

Even my cheap stuff has a high cost in time. It usually ends up a choice between sleep or nice terrain. This explains why I\'m soooo sleepy.

-DavicusPrime

Indra
08-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Me too...

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz...