PDA

View Full Version : A totally new Warhammer Army - the Nauticans

Franz
19-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi folks,

I have devised a completely new Army list (which is ready for use if you fancy a change).

http://naut1.blogspot.com

I'm looking for a few people to help play test it before I change it into a free pdf download. Also, I could always use some feedback if anything is seriously "broken".

Thanks folks,
Sigmar

Arctophylax Faren
19-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Did you paint the models in that picture? They're fantastic! You have to tell me what parts you used for them!
The history is great, and this looks great for any Warhammer player. Alas, I do not play that system, so I cannot offer feedback on the rules. But in terms of effort, top of the class :)

Hephesto
19-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks very interesting mate, I'll gladly have a closer gander later tonight!

SquallEvoker
19-10-2008, 07:59 PM
That looks phenomenal! I love the concept of it and all the art you have there. I would be interested that bound into a paperback mach army book. I'd also like to know how you got models like that. It looks like the perfect thing for me, as I love to be unique and use the armies that nobody else does.

Killer
19-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Looks very cool! Great initiative! Unfortunately I won't be able to play tests this army soon, but if I do I will let you know!

O yeah... great models, two thumbs up!!! :D

I will definitely look a bit further into this a bit later...
Keep up the good work and happy hunting to you!...

Not a Cat
21-10-2008, 11:26 AM
GIANT CRABS??
LEVIATHANS?!?!?!
MERMAIDS???!?!?!?!?!??!?!!???!?!11?!?!one

This is truely awesome, the best self-made army i've ever seen!
Rep for you!

Jasfmpgh
21-10-2008, 03:13 PM
well, I've read it all over.. if your just going for a fun army that looks cool, then I think you've done a nice job.
But if your trying to make a fair and balanced army, I'm sorry to say you've got the power level jacked up way too high for the army...
Not to mention you've got about 30 special rules too many..
You need to go back and simplify.. No army has 3 special types of weapons or armor, let alone both.
A halbred gives +1 strength and you can't use a shield with it... A spear lets you fight in two ranks.. A trident does both and you can still use a shield with it.
Regular troops shouldn't have a save that can't be taken away. Nine attacks from a magic item is too many. There is too many flying creatures with over unit strength 5. Take out all the undead stuff.

Now I know all this seems harsh.. but if you really want a well balance army, why not go back and take a look at some of the army books and compare the bonus/hinderances to your army.. that will give you a good starting point.

Killer
22-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Now now Franz, don't get discouraged- That was a bit harsh crit from Jason, but I've been looking it over again, and I'm afraid Jason is absolutely right!

Generally speaking, all armies have more or less one weakeness for each strength- and although each army's equipment has different names they do more or less the same thing...

But this being said, I still think there's a lot of potential here! I would love to see a moderated version of this army!

You can also try asking some advice on this forum- the people here are all very helpful and I know a few of them are really good at this sort of thing- You've already met Jason (stern, but usually right) and Farskit is always ready with an answer and good advice, to name just a few... I'll help too, but I have to warn you: I'm very bias ._.

Anyway...

So go on, I can't wait to see the moderated list!!!

Jasfmpgh
23-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I guess I did come off a little mean.. Which I didn't mean to at all. I can see you've put a ton of effort into this thing and it looks great. You even have a nice feel/theme to the army and rules. Which is where I think you got in to trouble... its easy to let you imagination run totally wild. The more you get into the army the more stuff seems to jump right out at you. Sort of saying to yourself this would fit perfectly into the army! And that gave me this idea!

In fact I think that games workshop problaly does a process very close to what you have going right now. Sit down and right down every cool idea they can think of about a army.

Now you just need to take the next step. Which is go back thru a very long list of good ideas and start picking what you like best. I would also suggest that you see where you reduce the number of special rules you already have. (Looking at current army books might help you with this, for example the orge kingdoms have a chariot/stonethrower called a scraplauncher, perhaps the ghost ship could be something more like this.)

Anyways, I think this is a bold undertaking and I wish you tons of luck. I'm sorry if I came off grumpy in my first post.. and if you ever needed a hand I'd be more than willing to offer what little help I could.

Killer
23-10-2008, 10:05 AM
See, I told you everyone was friendly and helpful around these parts!:D:D:D

Well. I could not have said it better myself Jason! Thats some good advice!

So I say again- hurry up with that list Sigmar- I can't wait to see it!:cool:

Franz
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
...emerges from the Oceans. Behold, the Nauticans !

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ts1HdLGjywM/SgbQr1AtCfI/AAAAAAAAFxs/m5aexAxyMh0/s320/NAUTICANS_ARMY_COVER_COLOUR_NO_WARHAMMER_LOGO.jpg (http://naut1.blogspot.com)

The Nautican Army (http://naut1.blogspot.com) has been updated to draft 3.0, main changes:- (http://naut1.blogspot.com/2008/08/army-list-changes-summary.html)

- new Army Wide Special "Sea Creature Origins" rule
- new units (Interceptors, Coral Hunters, Crest Riders, Tripoon)
- new special character (Vortex) + other character tweaks
- new character "mounts" (Royal Chariot, The Eternal Wave, The Great White Titan)
- tweaks to existing magic and several new magic items
- removal of undead mariners & undead characters

Current status : working on background fluff, sourcing suitable models and a draft 3.0 pdf.

We could really use some help playtesting. If you're interested then just play a game and send me the feedback (or even better a battle report which we can publish on the Nautican site).

SquallEvoker
10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice, glad to see this idea didn't die out. I'll play test it at my leisure.

Arctophylax Faren
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Where oh where do the models come from? Especially the ones in the top right of the main page, and the crab!

Inquisitor Hanson
12-05-2009, 01:43 AM
A really amazing concept i salute your efforts sir.

Franz
06-06-2009, 11:52 PM
HI Arctophylax Faren,

The crab is called Scuttlebones (it's an undead crab but the best (actually the only one) I could find.

Most of the miniatures in the army list are from Reaperminis Dark Heaven series and some are the Warlord series. You'll find links on the site.

Best of all I have many of the minis in my possession now (http://naut2.blogspot.com - slideshow) and I have a great painter from my forum painting some of them for me :)

We're playesting right now with the Nauticans losing 8 games and winning 1 so far. It's looking reasonably balanced, although I'm aware of a few tweaks we need to make.

Anyway, thanks for looking,
Franz Sigmar