PDA

View Full Version : 3000 pts of Lizardmen

LoganVivisected
07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Yep in this mass of points not a single one was used on a Slann so plenty of room for genocidal lizards.

Lord- Saurus Oldblood Loq-Gor-Zlat-Mundi
Light Armor
Mark of Old Ones
Spawning of Quetzl
Spawning of Tlazcotl
Blade of Revered Tzunki
Maiming Shield

Total-313 points.

I know, steep for a combat Lord...But lets think about what he can do. He has a 2+ save. His attacks ignore all armor saves, all W6 S6 A6 of them. He can reroll 3 d6 per game. (Ideally giving him 6 wounds ;) ). And last but not least he is immune to Psychology. Not someone you want after your army general, especially backed up by his troops...

Heros- 2X Skink Priest
X4 dispell scrolls

Total- 230 points.

This is where you start adding up this armies magic resistance dice. Instead of the typical all powerful Slann magic army I opted for total carnage in the form of close combat with an insane amount of magic deterrence.

Hero- Saurus Scar Veteran Tzahuan
Light Armor
Great Weapon
Spawning of Tzunki
Venom of the Firefly Frog

Total-111

Made with some spare points leftover after docking the Skinks back to level 1 wizards. A decent combat hero with a great weapon that has poisoned attacks. I'll use him to guard my wizards.

Hero-Saurus Scar Veteran Conquaitza

Light Armor
Battle Standard
Spawning of Sotek
Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
Sword of the Hornet

Total-177

Made due to Jason's advice. Will also remain behind the front line along side the other scar vet. Will be used as a support role to my other scar vet-he charges in being the heavy hitter where this guy uses his long movement to sweep into flanks. He isn't powerful enough to take on a tooled up hero or general but can really mess up the rank and file.

Troops-

3 Blocks of 30 Saurus Warriors
Full Command

Total-390 per unit, 1170 for the line

Front line of my army.

Troops-

4 groups of X12 Skink Skirmishers
Scouts
X2 Brave

Total-346

These will have two roles depending on what army I face. Either as a screen infront of my Saurus against a heavy shooting army or to charge up each flank to harass the enemy with their blowpipes. Scouting gives them the boost to put their poison to use as soon as possible. The first groups on either side will be with braves, the seconds will not have braves. Made the cut for points reasons as out of the whole army they will be least affected.

Rare-

2 Blocks of X15 Saurus Warriors of Tlazcotl y Tepok
Full Command
Spawning of Tlazcotl
Spawning of Tepok
Spears X15(X2)

Total-290 per unit, 580 for the Rares.

Same as before one block on each side of my first waves flank to be unbreakable roadblocks.

Special-

X2 Terradons

Total 70

These flyers with poisoned javelins are also hit and run. Their sole purpose is warmachines destruction.

New army point value-2997

Your Conscience
07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
The only thing you have got wrng with this list is that with the mark of the old ones you ave to roll ad then what ever dice scroe you get and half it is the amount of rerolls that you get.

Jasfmpgh
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Is there a new lizardman army book out?
If the info I have is right Logan, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to send you back to the drawing board with this one. It seems that when you give a unit of Saurus a spawning they become a special choice, two spawnings make them rare. Another thing I noticed is that 20 saurus with a full command and spawning of Quetzl looks like it adds up to 300 pts. So you ended up about 500ish points over. You also looks like you paid 5 points to many for your lord. Anyways, its possible my info is out of date so just double check your math.

On to the strat part of the army. Your basic idea is my favorite kind of army to use, big blocks of infantry that march right up and apply the beatdown. With lizard men this works especially well because your troops are tough, and not very likely to run due to the coldblooded rule. The only flaw I see in the whole works is you have too many different units. You wanna concentrate on maybe 4 big tough blocks of troops with maybe 2 smaller blocks supporting the flanks. (30 and 20 respectively, full command on both.) You'll find that when you start getting more than that on the field you jsut won't have room to field all your units, and they'll start to get in each others way. (The Saurus have big bases to.)

For your skinks the opposite kind of rule applys.. Divide up your groups of 24 into groups of 12. This gives them the option to shoot at different targets. Plus the bane of skinks is fast calvary and other skimishers and you don't want more skinks getting pulled into combat then you have too. The other thing is that there is several spells and magic items that make you take panic tests no matter unit size, thus small spread out groups are alot safer. Also I never take the unit champs in shooting units, +1 bs is annoying to remember and not worth the points.

Only other thing I can recommend is dropping your wizards to level 1 guys.. you won't get many spells off with only six casting dice in a 3k pt game, so don't bother spending the pts.

As a side note, I'm looking forward to seeing your real life inspired color scheme.. have you started painting any of your guys yet?

LoganVivisected
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Ahhh I see the spawning caveat now that I go back through the book...I shall mend this up right quick. I can still make this work fairly easy though as I have used no rares! It's mostly just doing some swapping positions right quick.

Ah yeah about the painting, haven't started on the lizardmen yet. Just on the Ogres.

Your Conscience
07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I would recommence have salammanders because they are amazing with them being able to move and shoot and using the artilarly dice

LoganVivisected
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Updated the list.

Jasfmpgh
08-09-2008, 03:23 AM
This is looking alot better logan, but I still have you over by 59 pts.. I think your Skinks are whats throwing you off.. I think they are 89 per unit which adds up to 445 I think?

That being said I'm liking the look of the new roster alot more.. simple, yet effective. Though I just wanna give you a heads up on the spawning of Talzoct.. it only makes you immune to pyschology, not unbreakable. They'll still fill they're role very nicely though I'm sure.

I did come up with something that might be very effective while looking at your new hero you added. Why not make him a battlestandard bearer? With coldblooded, and getting to reroll your break tests its going to be very hard to chase off those huge blocks of saurus warriors.. plus he's not even all that expensive. Just something I was thinking about. If you decide to keep this guy for defending your wizards and the back of the army in general, I'd switch his firefrog venom for the Jaguar Charm, the suprise 9 inch move could really spell trouble for some flyers that think they're at a safe distance. (if you skim off some points you could even have both a standard bearer and a "sweeper" hero, maybe cut the terrodons down some?)

Anyways looking good, and I can't wait to see you start on this sucker.. have even bought any guys yet?

LoganVivisected
08-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Yep you are correct there, looking at my paper I have it right there but wrong here and since I added everything up here then messed with the wizards and blah blah blah got all mixed up heh. It's what I get for moving around all the Saurus points in my head while trying to keep track of 60ish skinks with upgrades as well.

Ok added another Hero, dropped the 5th skink unit (odd number anyways) and scaled down the terradons significantly. Hopefully they won't be too compromised for warmachine hunting. Should be a stable 2997. I've done all the math on the computer and on paper a couple times and get the same result each time so we should be golden.

Thanks for the heads up though...Cold blooded already really helps so this should be fine, I just need them to be able to take those fast cav and scout charges and keep them tied down while my main line gets up the field.

I haven't started them yet but I've got some in the mail ;). Let the ASC calm down and you'll see them turn up shortly. I want to get the list ironed out first though (there is a big difference between buying 6 terradons and 2 ;) ).

Oh yeah rep duly earned :)

Jasfmpgh
08-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I think the list looks pretty good, and I had alot of fun working on it with you. I think two terradons is more than enough for warmachine hunting.. most of the crews are pretty weak. (Watch out for dwarves though.)

Only thing I think still needs tweaked a little is the magic item/ equipment setup on the two saurus hero's..
Now that I look at it I don't know if I like the way I first thought it. Your battlestandard bearer needs to be in the center of the army, maybe leading a unit of troops,(It gives an additional +1 to combat results.) so that your whole army can benifit from the rerolling break tests. The only problem is that your opponent is going to be trying to get at him, hardcore.. Maybe beef up his armor save and give him a ward save.. not really sure.
The other guy, not having to carry around that important standard might be better suited to the sweeper type roll you have planned. (I changed his spawning because I realized the +init doesn't really go well with the great weapon.. extra attack on the charge is more vaulable.)

I came up with
Scar Vet with Battlestandard, Light armor, spawn of quetzl, and aura of quetzl. 157
Scar Vet with Greatweapon, Light armor, spawn of Sotek, and charm of the Jaguar Warrior. 131
adds up to 288 which is the same total they are now..

I'm pretty sure you'll get a better feel for the army the more you play it... and tweaking the magic items will be something you'll be doing for a long time I'm sure.

Anyways, thanks again for letting me work on this with you.. I've had fun, and look forward to hearing how it does.

LoganVivisected
10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Aye you've been more than helpful in getting it organized. I take it you play them often?

Once I have time you'll see some WIPs popping up.

Jasfmpgh
10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I've only played lizardmen once.. but played against them several times.. My friend's army includes alot more cavarly related stuff, and a slaan.. I just tried to base my advice off of those games.