PDA

View Full Version : MOUNTAINS!!!

DavicusPrime
31-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Dang it... I should have made someone else drive so I could sleep.

I travelled to central Oregon from Western Washington this last weekend for a family reunion... Separating these two locations is a niffty mountain range (the Cascades). In crossing them I have been inspired to try and use what I saw on my game table. Now I have a disturbingly strong urge to make some large hills/cliffs with protruding stone outcroppings and a river with a waterfall to line one side of my game table. I must be insane.

I\'ll let you all know if I actually go through with it.

this is so going to interfer with the city terrain I\'m going to need to make for Cod. So many projects... So little time.

-DavicusPrime

Post edited by: DavicusPrime, at: 2006/05/31 06:09

Indra
31-05-2006, 06:07 AM
I have a useful tip for large scale terrain like that that looks realistic.

Ask if you want the tip... although I\'m sure I\'ve posted it before.

DavicusPrime
31-05-2006, 06:10 AM
I vaguly remember you posting that tip, but you might as well fire it off again for the edification of all. :P

-DavicusPrime

Indra
31-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Biuld your basic shape with scraps of wood or whatever. Then get some chicken wire and wrap it around moulding it to the overall shape you desire. Pack behind the wire tightly with old balled up newspaper to create a solid base to apply the next stage.

Then with thick filler apply a few layers until you get an even cover in the shape. Then apply a final layer once all previous layers have set and let it cure a bit. This is the stage to make sure your flat model bearing surfaces are set. A layer of card cut to shape will do, pressed into the filler and left there. You can texture over it later on.

Then take some greaseproof paper and dust the shiny side with the unmixed filler powder. This prevents it from sticking to the filler. Scrumple it up and unscrumple it again. apply some more unmixed filler. You really need it to not stick.

Apply the paper to all the sides of the rocky faces and remove, and you should find the creases are applied to the filler.

Allow this to set fully. Once set, take a fine wire brush and HORIZONTALLY brush the surfaces of the rock features at varying pressures and this weathers the rock.

Bingo. Wicked looking rocks i nany size you desire.

And if you are savvy, you\'ll have coloured the filler to match the base colour of the rock you want so all you have to do is highlight it and you\'re done.

Hope this helps!

:woohoo: