PDA

View Full Version : stripping plastic models.

grinkohof
28-05-2006, 06:53 PM
i have been looking for something that would do this without damaging the plastic for ages and finally i have found one! the answer lies in simple white spirits. i left a model soaking in white spirits over night and when i checked it today i found that by using an old toothbrush, i could easily remove the majority of the paint, and with a tooth pick i could remove the paint in the crevasses. obviousley when attempting to do something like this, there a few precausions you must take:

1) make sure you are doing it in a well ventilated area and are wearing rubber gloves whenever you handle white spirits.

2) soak a test model overnight so that you can see the strenght of your white spirits and then estimate a safe soaking time for real models.

3) after your model has soaked for your estimated length of time, take it out and scrub it under warm, but not hot water, with a tooth brush. when you have gotten the majority of the paint removed, start using the toothpick to remove the piant from the detail on the model. and voila, one stripped mini!

these are just basic instructions on how to strip paint and after you attempt it for yourself, you will learn ways which suit you better. hope this helps anyone who bought second hand minis like me! B)

regards,

grinkohof.

mark
28-05-2006, 06:56 PM
nice one ill be giveing that a try ive uped your karma

Gaius Julius
28-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah that\'s some good advice there.

GJ

torn
28-05-2006, 07:25 PM
yeah anything wihout acetone in it wont melt the plastic

mark
13-06-2006, 05:49 PM
whould white sprits without achtone strip metal minis as well ?

Skrall
14-06-2006, 12:02 AM
If you have the hand eye co-ordination and the time you can use a clipper. I\'m currently on my 23rd generation dread nought. each generation is a coat of pain. addmittidly it does look battered and bruised, but it works so well for a dread thats supposted to be 10,000 years old

Post edited by: Guardsman Hawke, at: 2006/06/14 01:08