PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt wood elves

and then there was me....
14-08-2008, 02:34 AM
im finally painting and putting my wood elves together and i was looking for coments and constructive cirtacism(yes it is probably spelled wrong so what and i dont want to download the spell check) on the list

239-highborn-extra hand weapon,light armour, the bow of loren, stone of the crystal mere,elynett's brooch

179-spellsinger-calaingor's stave, dispell scroll

127-noble-sword of might,light armour,hail of doom arrow

216-galde guad-16-full comand

120-glade guard-10

120-glade guard-10

156-glade riders-5-full command

132-dryads-10-branch nymph

146-eternal guard-13-full command

176-wardancers-9-blade singer

140warhawk riders-3-wind rider

165-wardancers-8-full command

again any input would be great

KaKlick
16-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Normally, bro, I dont really care what's in your army list seeing that as soon as I get into close combat with your wood elves I usually win or draw against you. :P Granted, getting into close combat with wood elves is a tad difficult. I figure that just actually getting into melee with your troops is a moral victory all on its own :P

Jasfmpgh
17-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Well ANTWM, I like your list and I think you have the right kind of idea, but I think you missed a few very important things.

I'm not really sure about your overall strategy with your army, and with wood elves being so fragile you really need to have a plan in your mind about how your units will work together. When I play wood elves I try to march block the enemy and harass them as much as I can to slow they're advance across the board. As you pick off more and more of your opponents men hopefully he'll get desperate to close the distance allowing you to charge him and break his weakened units.

First, in a 2,000 pt army you get two rare choices, but you didn't use any! I think you'd find you'd get much more out of a unit of 5 waywatchers as you would a unit of 10 glade guard. If used correctly they can block march moves for most of the game, move and use they're killing blow shot to down heavily armored enemies.. a great eagle is also a great unit for march blocking, or as a "cruisemissle" to use against spell casters. At only 50 pts I'd suggest you take as many as you have available rare slots. You'll also find the treeman plays a very important role for the army. His high toughness, +3 armor save, +5 ward save, and stubborness make him one of the few units in your army you can expect to hold against a strong enemy charge. (Some people choose not to use one because they consider it cheesy.. I personally feel that he fits the army well.)

For your hero's
I like your setup on your lord.. The bow of loren is a nasty item in the hands of a highborn. The stone gives a stone ward save which is also important. I would probalaly drop the light armor because its mostly useless. The only other change I might make is if your opponent is using armored guys I might switch brooch for arcane bodkins, (4 shots that ignore armor is nothing to laugh at) while if your opponent is bringing alot of fear causing units to the table stick with the brooch.
For the spellsinger I'd leave her a level 1 caster, give her 2 dispel scrolls and just forget about casting anything.. In a 2000pt game you need like 9ish casting dice to really get anywhere, so just save on the pts. Or, a nasty trick to pull is to stick her on a unicorn and let her ride with the glade riders.. she has a bow and can shoot as well as them, it gives them magic resistance, and the unicorns attacks on the charge are pretty decent.
For the last noble, Hail of doom guy works great.. Not sure about the sword of might, I find a great weapon gets the job done for alot cheaper, you can even equip him with the helm of the hunt for more beatdown power.

Hope some of these tips help, sorry if I get too long winded.. but talking to people about how they build a army is one of my favorite things about this game.

As a side note if this KaKlick character is your regular opponent let me know what his army and regular tatics are and we'll work up something special to turn his smack talking right around.

KaKlick
17-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey! No giving tips on how to specifically beat one player!:eek: Besides, I just take my Imperial Legion and march into close combat nice and steadily. Dont really have to worry too much about many casualties.

Jasfmpgh
17-08-2008, 04:30 PM
All bets are off against trash talking brothers!

02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
thanks for your input and with your recomemdations i was able to get best army at my stores rtt
so thanks

KaKlick
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Congrats! Too bad I had to work or I'd 've been there:p

Jasfmpgh
02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Thats awesome ANTWM, what did you win?

03-09-2008, 09:17 PM
i got a die stateing best army a certificate and 21.50 in store credit and a VERY BIG :D not to mention the ego boost