PDA

View Full Version : LOTR Help Goblins vs Elves

infernus49
03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Well me and my friend play LOTR warhammer and he always uses elves and i use goblins
I've never every beaten him and i dont know why
His army list is
Elrond
8xHigh elve swordsman
6xHigh elve with spears and shields
8xHigh elve bowman

My army list is
Durbz
Shaman
19xGoblin swordsmand
20xGoblin spearman
20xGoblin bowman

Now i've even tried using cave trolls but they always get shot down before i can get to him
So any help would be very nice

mantis985
14-08-2008, 04:48 AM
It's been a while since I played LOTR. Try a sqaure formation with your shields and spears, and march right up to him.
Swords on the outside, spears on the inside. This will protect your weaker units and still allow them to fight in combat.
Also, try to get as many into combat against one elf. The key to killing elves is to just overwhelm them. Try to get 3 or more against one elf.

s=sword goblin
p=spear goblin

ex:sssssssssss
sppppppps
sppppppps
ssppppss

Wraithlord
27-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Can you put points on here?
Sometime today or tommorow i can write you a list from Khazad-Dum. (Go shorties!)
And if this is a 500 point game, your list is illegal. Reputation cookie if anyone can tell me why.

Some other points:
-Allies will be your friends. I think "black gate" and "dwellers below" would work for you
-Don't waste time with goblin arches. Your friend has you beat all over there.
-What is you "new model budget"?
-Phalanxes are good, but make sure you have a hero with them for "stand fast"
-I cant remember, can evil have banners? If so, one with each Phalanx formation

that's all for now, I will try to write that list.

Wraithlord

mantis985
23-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Can you put points on here?
Sometime today or tommorow i can write you a list from Khazad-Dum. (Go shorties!)
And if this is a 500 point game, your list is illegal. Reputation cookie if anyone can tell me why.

Some other points:
-Allies will be your friends. I think "black gate" and "dwellers below" would work for you
-Don't waste time with goblin arches. Your friend has you beat all over there.
-What is you "new model budget"?
-Phalanxes are good, but make sure you have a hero with them for "stand fast"
-I cant remember, can evil have banners? If so, one with each Phalanx formation

that's all for now, I will try to write that list.

Wraithlord

Oh yeah....I usually use that with Uruk-hai. I forgot that goblins have almost no courage.......

LordKAlleKlovn
24-09-2008, 06:22 PM
For the first of all. none of u are allowed to have that much archers in your troop choices. There is a rule that says neither army can include more than 25% archers of the army. And if you are going to kill the elves, might i sugest to use two cave trolls, one with spear for example, as he can stand behind some other goblins or whatever and stab at the enemy. Try to take some captains as well, since the might points they can give your army, use them to make heroic actions. Try to use your goblins with spear and shield use the shielding rule to allow you another dice against the elves, and remember to have a goblin with spear behind to stab back. Try to take one or two banners as well. gives you a second try when determing whos winning the hitting against each other.

LKK

Wraithlord
25-09-2008, 12:45 AM
For the first of all. none of u are allowed to have that much archers in your troop choices. There is a rule that says neither army can include more than 25% archers of the army. And if you are going to kill the elves, might i sugest to use two cave trolls, one with spear for example, as he can stand behind some other goblins or whatever and stab at the enemy. Try to take some captains as well, since the might points they can give your army, use them to make heroic actions. Try to use your goblins with spear and shield use the shielding rule to allow you another dice against the elves, and remember to have a goblin with spear behind to stab back. Try to take one or two banners as well. gives you a second try when determing whos winning the hitting against each other.

LKK

-Wrong, actually the rule is 33% of the "Warrior" selections in your army
-That will not work, as by definition spears give the attacking model an extra attack. So that would not work and since a troll has a bigger base goblins cannot support trolls (that is why Gil-Galad's aeglos doesn't work like a normal spear - to prevent idiocy)
-Sorry to nit-pick, but wrong again. The spear behind allows you take another 2 attacks shielding, but you still may not strike blows

Ok, onto the next part of the post.
-The rep cookie would have been for saying a 500 pt. army is capped at 50 models.This prevents an enterprising Goblin player from take 100 goblins or something ridiculous
-And completly disregarding what I said before DO NOT PHALANX I traps all of your models and only 1 row can "make room" and with elves, this equal your front line all dying.
-Your frined is just a little foolish for taking elrond in a 500 pt. game. While he will wreck things up, his troops will be throughly outmanned
-Also, your friend has 37% bowmen if you want to be picky
-And re-checking the wound chart, dont waste your points on shields, because S3 wounds D4 and D5 on a 5+ either way
-If your friend takes heavy armor (which high-elves do) your bowmen will hit on 5+ and wound on 6. So don't bother

Now, I will write a list for you just to be helpful. It seems you are playing 400pts. Use it if you want (I will also provide strategies):

Heroes

2 Goblin Captains w/ Shields 80pts.

Moria Goblin Shaman 35pts.

Warriors

29 Moria Goblins w/ 15 spears 131pts.

12 Warg Riders w/ 6 Throwing Spears 156pts.

Total: 402pts.

Cant talk tactics now, so I will leave it to you to guess, and I can tell you if I like your strategy later.