PDA

View Full Version : varnish, gloss, mat or satin?

steve bruce
20-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi guys,

A call for advice if I might.
I always varnish/seal my figures after painting so that I don\'t lose the paint job I\'ve usually spent ages on. However, I don\'t like glossy figures, so I only use gloss as a tough, resistant coat, and I then spray matt over it, but that means I then have to apply satin or gloss varnish to individual items, like weapons and this obviously takes time and effort.
This procedure always detracts from the original paint colours and sheens but it must be done to stop my troops getting chipped and worn.
How do you guys seal your figures and does anyone have a better way than the one I use?

Thanks,
Steve;)

DavicusPrime
20-05-2006, 05:15 AM
I had the same problem... and there\'s no freaking way I\'ll not seal it if I spent 2-4 hours on a paint job.

I had an old can of citadel matt varnish that actually had more of a satin sheen. I liked it, it wasn\'t super shiny, but it didn\'t dull the metalics either. Eventually I used it up.

I then bought a new can and it actually came out as matt. I hated it. All the metallics came out as dull shades of grey. I nearly paniced. As I franticly searched for a way to fix the problem, I found an old gloss glaze can in my wife\'s craft supply stash and put a coat of that over it. It came out closer to what i wanted but it wasn\'t consistent. Plus it felt different. A little gummy is the best way I can describe it. So, while I had saved my models, I still needed a better solution.

So I went to a craft shop and found a cheap can of satin varnish and tested it on some terrain projects i was working on. I liked the results and it shall be what I use from now on.

For me I like a slight shine so satin works for me. Some day I hope to be able to post some pics but that\'ll have to wait.

-DavicusPrime

steve bruce
20-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, satin does look good on terrain but I don\'t personally like the uniform finish it gives to figures\' clothing and weapons.
So as I mentioned before, I have to paint a satin or gloss finish on appropriate equipment after I\'ve gloss varnished and then matt varnished. It all adds to the time and it doesn\'t give the same tones you get with GW paints before sealing them.
I\'ve been modelling for some 30+ years now and I do think GW produce excellent paints, it\'s such a pity to lose their effect when you have to protect your hard-earned armies!
Steve
:(

torn
21-05-2006, 03:02 AM
i use testors dull coat - you cant even tell its on the model!

Indra
21-05-2006, 04:43 AM
And tell us Torn, where do we obtain such wonderous treasure as this dullcoat?

:)

NathanS
21-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Just about any where the fine painting supplies from testors are sold.

steve bruce
22-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Thanks guys,
When you say that you can\'t tell it\'s on the model, does the dullcote just matt everything down or can you still distinguish between the metallic paints and the various tones of the other GW acrylics?
Cheers,
Steve