PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing an Army

TheSovereign
19-05-2006, 04:27 AM
As some of you may know, I\'m in the process of building a new Chaos army for the Summer campaign. I previously owned a Death Guard-esque army, but I have a lot of other Chaos miniatures from before I went pure Nurgle. I went out and bought a box of new Chaos Marines and the Marine Commander Box. I tried painting the Marines but decided white was too difficult. So I gathered up my old Chaos models, cut my Death Guard army in half, and set out all the models I have to make a 1000 point army.

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/100_2176small.jpg

Phase 1: Stripping

After gathering all these models, I have to strip the paint off them. Some aren\'t such a big deal -- a lot of my older models like the Berserkers aren\'t even fully coated anyway. However, a lot of the plastic Marines are from a friend of mine who previously coated them in millimetres thick layers of paint. I painted over this, for some reason. The paint must be stripped off them. I\'m using nail polish remover, which seems to work great on metal models (like the Dreadnought) but not so great on plastic. On metal, the paint just scrubs right off. On plastic I find I actually have to scrape at it before it will dislodge. If anyone has some advice on stripping plastic minis, it would be appreciated.

So, I\'ll get cracking on that! In the meantime, I guess I should decide on a paint scheme and conversion theme. I\'m thinking of going with some kind of Iron Hands to the extreme, where they use not just bionics but daemonic powers as well. Too Iron Warriors?

EDITS due to my bleeding inability to get the image function to work.

Post edited by: TheSovereign, at: 2006/05/19 04:27

Post edited by: TheSovereign, at: 2006/05/19 04:28

Post edited by: TheSovereign, at: 2006/05/19 04:29

Post edited by: TheSovereign, at: 2006/05/19 04:29

Combat Engineer
19-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Sov. I found the best thing for pewter so far has been pure acetone. Plastics, well I have tried a lot of things. Pine-Sol cleaner mixed 50/50 with water works, but takes time. Vim Bathroom cleaner also works. The best so far I have found is break fluid, not cleaner. Just don\'t leave it in there too long, as it softens the plastic.

Mat:sick:

Intellectawe
19-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Let them sit in pure Pin-Sol for 8 hours. It wont bother your plastics.

Try Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray it on your models and let them sit for 45 minutes, then brush the paint off.

mark
19-05-2006, 05:33 PM
a iorn hands stle army would look cool if your worryied about looking like a iorn warriours then try not to use a lot of silver however dark red would look cool or even dark blue. but i have know idea how to strip paint