PDA

View Full Version : Terrain company

Combat Engineer
17-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I found this site over on Dakka. It\'s a terrain site. the stuff looks goood and easy to assemble.

Mat:sick:

http://www.miniaturescenery.com/

DavicusPrime
18-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Very nice looking. I seriously like that it\'s all cut from MDF, same as the stuff I use for basing my terrain. Makes me wonder just how tough it would be to use their ideas to make my own.

The stuff is very well designed and I like the modularity of it all. Then again, I\'m poor. Spending an average $15 per for a 6\" x 6\" x 6\" terrain piece strikes me as a poor cost/benefit scenario. Now if they were selling the plans to recreate their designs, I\'d go for it.

I can get 1/8\" MDF in 2\' x 4\' sheets for about $4 US. I bought one and I still have half of it left after making enough terrain for a 4\'x4\' table. Perhaps one of my next projects should be an attempt to recreate one of their designs... It\'d be interesting to see what I can do with about $2 worth of material.

-DavicusPrime

BTW: Karma Bump for sharing a cool resource.

Post edited by: DavicusPrime, at: 2006/05/18 01:19

Combat Engineer
18-05-2006, 01:01 AM
I am terrain making challenged. I can paint a pretty good model, but I suck at making terrain:S . My friends are pretty good at it, so they help out when I need them.

DavicusPrime
18-05-2006, 01:47 AM
I am terrain making challenged. I can paint a pretty good model, but I suck at making terrain.

I\'m okay at it. Where this company has it made though is making good, consistent buildings. I can make wilderness terrain pretty well, even scratch building trees, rocks, etc. But I haven\'t yet tried to make something that has to look like a planned structure. Symetry and detail could be a problem.

The advantage these folks have is using a CAD program for design and an CNC mill to cut out their parts. That ensures that everything comes out exactly the same, and allows for complex design and the jigsaw puzzle like connections their kits have.

Their designs are pretty sharp, using layers of 1/8\" (3mm) MDF to build up all the structures. Simple flat paterns creating complex shapes when stacked. I\'m really quite impressed with the whole thing. Just not enough to pay the $ they\'re asking. But they have to pay for their machines somehow I suppose.

-DavicusPrime

mark
18-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Combat Engineer, you come up with some cool and interesting links, im uping your karma

grinkohof
18-05-2006, 04:30 AM
that site is so cool! the stuff is quite cheap, i think i\'ll be getting me a drop pod...i love making terrain and it just got a whole lot easier with this site...good work combat engineer!

Indra
25-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Well, Karma 8 and only 46 posts. That is an achievement in itself. Just goes to show what people think of Combat Engineer\'s posting doesn\'t it? And I recall it being -4 once for some reason too.

Good job mate. I\'ve said it before I\'ll say it again. You\'re an asset to the site. Almost every post is exceptionally useful (Unlike me with nearly 1400 and only 2 karma ahead of Mat...)

:woohoo:

Combat Engineer
25-05-2006, 04:41 AM
I could never think of what happened with the -4. I must have royally messed up in a post or conversation:whistle: (?)

Combat Engineer
25-05-2006, 04:42 AM
And it just dropped:huh: , sigh...

Indra
25-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Well for what it\'s worth I think you should get in here more often and post. You\'re a valued member.

:)

Indra
25-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Combat Engineer wrote:

And it just dropped:huh: , sigh...

Not me. I didnt do it, or I woulda said so. Question is who would, and why? THats why we always give reasons for Karma adjustments after all.