PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Goblins Plea for Help

Wraithlord
22-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi, this is Wraithlord and i am just starting out with orcs and goblins. I am just a bit shy of 2000 points and would like some help from some of the people on Astro exprienced (or not) with them. Here is what I have now, and while i know changes are in order, i am on a very tight budget so i would like to keep as much of my list as possible.

And another note, I have never played a full-scale game of Fantasy so I do not know the mechanical of some stuff (manoevers, how effective magic is, ect.) though I would say I have a good basic grasp.

Lord:
Grimgor Ironhide - 375

Heroes:
Goblin Shaman - 115
Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll

Goblin Shaman - 135
Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, \'Itty Ring

Goblin Big Boss - 66
Light Armor,Shield, Wolf, Martog\'s Best Basha

Cores:
Savage Orc Boyz(10) - 160
Shields,Full Command, Big \'Uns

Night Goblins(25) - 145
Full Command, Spears, 1 Fanatic

Night Goblins(25) - 170
Full Command, Spears, 2 Fanatics

Night Goblins(20) - 80
Full Command, Bows

Forest Goblin Spider Riders(10) - 170
Full Command, Bows

Specials:
Da Imortulz(Black Orc Boyz)(10) - 205
Full Command, Shields, Nogg\'s Banner of Butchery

Orc Boar Chariot - 85
Extra Crew

Goblin Spear Chukka - 35

Rares:
Troll - 60
Stone Troll
Total: 1796
As you may have guessed, I am operating of mainly skull pass. I sends the Black Orcs, Grimgor and the Savages up against my opponent\'s main men, with the Goblins on one side, I figured taht 70 of them and 2 shamans could do OK at least. The other side is where my Troll chariot and Spiders(with wolf big boss) try to kill heroes and war machines. I do not know whether this would work, could i het some advice.

And for new units, the things I was looking at were: another spear chukka, netters, ORC heroes, a giant and some normal boyz.

Tell me what you think, please.

Wraithlord
24-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Not to rush anyone, but I really need help soon.

Your Conscience
24-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Right for an Orc and gobbo army it is very small and week in some places
Lord:
Grimgor Ironhide - 375

Excellent character

Heroes:
Goblin Shaman - 115
Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll

Not sure about this try for an orc shamen for some offensive magic

Goblin Shaman - 135
Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, \'Itty Ring

I like this shamen

Goblin Big Boss - 66
Light Armor,Shield, Wolf, Martog\'s Best Basha

Cores:
Savage Orc Boyz(10) - 160
Shields,Full Command, Big \'Uns

Way too small for a unit of savage orc. I know that you are on a tight budget but when you have the funds these need to be at least 20

Night Goblins(25) - 145

Night Goblins(25) - 170
Full Command, Spears, 2 Fanatics

Night Goblins(20) - 80
Full Command, Bows

For all of the above they need fanatics i just love it when a unit of night charges these and then get hit with fanatics

Full Command, Bows

Specials:
Da Imortulz(Black Orc Boyz)(10) - 205
Full Command, Shields, Nogg\'s Banner of Butchery

Too small again. Same as Savage orcs

Orc Boar Chariot - 85
Extra Crew
I like to have chariot working in tandeem

Goblin Spear Chukka - 35

Goblin spear chuckers arent that effective by themselves try to get more when funds are avaliable

Rares:
Troll - 60
Stone Troll

You need more than one troll

I my opinion don\'t go straight for a 2000 point army. Instead do a 500 and a 1000 point army so that you can get used to the feel of warhammer because it is a lot more invovled than 40K

Wraithlord
25-03-2008, 04:38 AM
Thank you, I agree with the things you did and that i need to work up to a 2k list here is 1k list i whipped up.

Heroes:
Black Orc Big Boss - 119
Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Martog\'s Best Basha

Goblin Shaman - 115
Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll,

Cores:
Night Goblins(20) - 125

Night Goblins(20) - 125

Night Goblins(20) - 60
Bows

Full Command, Bows

Special:
Black Orc Boyz(10) - 180
Full Command, Shields

Orc Boar Chariot - 85
Extra Crew

Total: 999

and any other suggestions about my first post (especially future units) would still be much appreciated

Your Conscience
26-03-2008, 11:55 PM
With this list (1K) i think you should probably drop the black orcs and instead get a nice unit of orc boys and put your black orcs big boss in this unit so that they dont squabble

Wraithlord
27-03-2008, 06:57 AM
I\'d rather drop somnething else becuase i like some tactics with the black orcs. I may drop a Goblin Unit to get them though and send the leader with them anyways.

Your Conscience
29-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Yes Black orcs are good but only when they are in a bigger unit size 10 black orcs just arent enough to actually make a diffrence

Dragonhammer
30-03-2008, 01:32 AM
When I play Fantasy, I play Orcs.

What you need is, yes, get some Black Orcs. Grimgore Ironhide is a good leader choice, because the restriction on Black Orcs is lifted. What you should do is get a unit of 25+ Black Orcs, with 2 hand weapons, and get a unit of Da Immortulz (to meet the reqs for Grimgore)

Or, use a Black Orc Big Boss on Wyvren, and give him Shaga\'s Screamin\' Sword, if you\'re facing a lot of heroes.

Take maybe a unit of Trolls, or a Giant. Then, get a big unit of Boar Boyz, make them Big \'Unz. Fill out the rest of the army with Boyz and Goblins(for missile ability). Top off with a war machine or two, (Spear Chukkas are great options here, special and get 3 for a single slot?!? Woot!). Maybe get another unit of Black Orcs for flanking manuvers, maybe a chariot or three, and voila!

Oh, and make sure you spread out those Black Orcs throughout the army. Keep the rest o\' the lot in line, the mangy gitz. ;)

Indra
30-03-2008, 02:17 AM
I think you\'ll find that taking those black orcs in such a small list is going to cost you a lot of games. Goblins might not be as good but they will have the ranks to back up their combat whilst the Borcs won\'t. You\'ll quite simply be getting your backside handed to you on a plate.

What you need to do is make sure that you have masses of infantry (goblins are great as they\'re so cheap) and then supplement them with other choices rather than taking the special and rare choices and adding core choices as an after thought.

With 1000 points you\'re pretty much looking at taking a simple Boss and a simple Shaman to get you by on the characters and almost everything else on the infantry blocks, with maybe a chariot and a unit of wolfboys or spider riders to ride out the flanks. Everything else won\'t really matter much, so focus on taking tons of goblins or orcs or both. DOn\'t add black orcs until you get to at least 1500 point games and then make sure to take a large unit of 20+ to get that rank bonus.

Another good ploy is to take two units of 20 night gobbos with short bows and use them as meat shields for the rest of the army, but leave a funnel in the middle to channel the enemy into your central line, as the chariots and wolfies will be flanking. Put a fanatic or two in the meat shields and watch as the enemy stays away, whilst you power up the middle. for 110 points you get to shoot and hide two fanatics in the ranks of 20 night gobbos. Thats often enough to scare away the heaviest of cavalry.

I can draw up a list according to your model list if you like, but I can tell you it\'s unlikely to include either grimgor or any black orcs in it, unless we start looking at 2k or more.

Indra

Guzzlrr
18-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes Black orcs are good but only when they are in a bigger unit size 10 black orcs just arent enough to actually make a diffrence

yeah Consicience is right yor 10 black orcs will most likly be shot at, i had this 'initail teething problem!' and then die leaving you buggerd.

for your 1000 point army

you defo need more orcs as orcs are really cheap 8 points difference between black orcs and normal orcs so thats an 2 n a 1/2 orcs for every black orc, remember orcs and goblins main advantage is numbers, you need those rank bonuses to win every combat i had a unit of 60 night gobbos with spears and 3 fanatics "the gobbos of death" lol but i wouldnt recomend (too many eggs ...)

a unit of orcs instead of blcak orcs (for the same points)

30 orcs -180
with full command - this is what i would recomned in stead of the black orcs

as indra said they sound good n=but arnt that good in smaller battles (they are too much of a point drain)

hope this helps

GuZZ

p.s. who are your main opponents?

hurons fallen
07-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Yeah tend to agree there also you could drop one sharman for a fighting boss(orcs love to fight after all) but its a personal choice. As for new units a giant is a good pick along also a unit of 3 stone trolls each respectivly adding a huge weight to each flank. You could also look at adding another special character( A famous orc banner bearer comes to mind) but again its a personal choice, idealy though you want a good range of abilitys from your units as its better to have a unit thats pretty good a 3 things than a unit thats the best at only 1 (there are some situations where this is not true like charging into a unit of 10 blood knights lead by a general, btw thats 6 attacks from the knights, 3 killing blows from the castellean(sword of kings and 3+ WS 7 attacks from the lord with an average 2+ armour Sv) units like this need the best of the best to crack or to be flanked on both side and outnumberd. But yeah look to make your army of mutaly suportive units and then lead with the hammer ( The hardest fighters) and you shouldn't have too many problems. Hope i could be some help and good luck.

Your Conscience
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Huron you do have to remeber that this is on limited funds and thereforemight not be able to afford all of the things that you have put forward like a giant and 3 trolls if in England will set him back well over 40-50 and if there is money restriction i hate to say it but ebay is your friend. This is because armies like orcs and goblins arent as new as other armies and will therefore have things thatr are cheaper