PDA

View Full Version : Cheap scenery project. NOW COMPLETE

Indra
01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I am making scenery by the bucketload at the moment. I know its Mordheim terrain, but the principle is that with CoD coming up, people will need some cheap terrain to use, so with a little imagination, the basic Idea of these Mordheim pieces can easily be turned into 40k structures.

The costs are as follows:

A1 Sheet of thick untreated, uncoloured card
?1.75

A4 Sheet of normal card (yellow- no reason, it just was)
10p

Bag of modelling matches
?1.75

1 litre of PVA Glue (This is my stash. Had it for years now, never runs out...)
?4.50

Box of sand from the beach/other free source
?0.00

10 Snap off razors from the pound shop in a single pack
?1.00

Total cost:
?10.10

And I\'ve got 5 scenics so far, with enough card left to make maybe three more. I\'ll keep posting here to keep you informed!

Mordheim Scenery Album (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/)

I will keep adding till I run out of materials. Then we\'ll see if its worth it or not.

I\'m not going to do a step by step with pics right now, but I\'ll give you a quick tutorial on the construction of these pieces:

1: Always be conservative. Wasting card is not an option, we\'re saving money here. The smallest ruin of the three in the pic was made of offcuts I was gonna chuck out, so I not only saved money, but made extra scenery too.

2: Mark onto the card the basic wall shapes that you will need. Remember that if you leave the walls in a line, joined end to end you can score the card and fold it into shape rather than gluing all the walls seperately. It\'s much easier and cleaner.

3: Carefully cout out the shapes with your knife, using all the necessary precautions- I dont want people slicing fingers off here. Remember its better to slice severl times to get through the card than it is to press to hard to get through it in one cut, you\'ll only snap the baldes and lose fingers/eyes etc.

4: Glue all the floors/roofs into place and hold with masking tape if you have any. It wont take long to set so dont worry.

5: Remove tape once floors are glued in, and glue model to a suitable base. Detail the floors as you see fit, I used thin card to make tiles and matchsticks for wooden flooring for example. Tape the model to the base to ensure firm fitting while glue sets.

6: once base and model are glued, texture the base, and the model and paint it as you see fit. Voila. Job done.

I cannot stress enough that I am on a money saving project here! I predict that I will have made enough ruins to cover a 2\'x 2\' area thoroughly. And this is Mordheim scenery that I am making remember so I need the terrain to be dense to connect it all with walkways and such, but if you want model counts I will have 7 or 8 pieces of scenery, for just over ?10, compared to GW CoD scenics 1 for ?15.

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/01 21:29

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/03 05:50

torn
01-05-2006, 09:22 PM
i like your scenery

id just like to point out that those on a bigger budget can use cereal box cardboard, and for thicker walls can use corrgate cardboard with masking tape over the \'open\' edges.

i use cereal box card for roof tiles, i have a big bag of crunchy nut cornflakes cut up into squares!

i like your matchstick flooring so much i might have a go

Indra
01-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Actually, I found that corrugated card sucks bad. I purposely stayed away from it as it warps a lot, and masking taping all those ruined corners... no ta. Besides, having done this now, I\'ve found this card to be far easier to use and a lot stronger than corrugated as well, so although corrugated can often be found for free, its worth the ?1.75 for the card I\'m using.

I\'m editing the initial post now to include more pics.

steve bruce
01-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi Ron,
Just had a look at the photos. The buildings are great.
About how long does it take you to get to the finished article? With me, it\'s time more than budget that factors in. But I\'m going to follow your instructions and make a couple of building to add to the CoD buildings I\'ve pre-ordered.
Keep up the good work.

Steve;)

Indra
02-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Including glue dry time its about two hours, but you can do more than one at a time. All those matches are a real time eater though... If it wasnt for those then I\'d be laughing.

I\'ve done another one now. Direct link below, you know where the rest of the album is.

House 6- Check the rest of the Album too!! (http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/House6001.jpg)

And for your info everyone, that sheet of A1 card is 2/3 used. I still have a huge amount left. I reckon easy another 2 multilevel buildings plus maybe another 2 or 3 simple corner ruins, amybe with a smaller upper floor. So thats about 10 sets of ruins for just over a tenner.

And if you want a time related answer, I\'ve made all 6 you see over two days, mostly mornings.

Thats ?1 per ruin. Now if that aint cheap, what is?

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/02 01:20

The Death
02-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Great ruins I love them ;) .

You\'ve convinced me to make my own ruins now (I was probably going to pre-order CoD ruins over the next few days, thank god :lol: )

Indra
02-05-2006, 04:25 AM
One word of advice. With matchsticks you need patience... and lots of it. But its easy to do and the effect is quite cool, although for anything 40k universe I\'m not sure wood flooring is in... Mordheim yes, Underhive... maybe, 40K? No, its all plascrete, but thats easier still. Just leave the floors as card and texture them. Sorted.

Basically, I spent one morning making house one and two, and over the course of today I made houses three to six. I also made a walkway out of cutaway card and matchsticks. Factor in 1/3 of the card left and I have a few more to go, although I\'d have achieved more if I\'d not bothered with the matchwood flooring, but hey, I\'m a sucker for good looking terrain.

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/02 20:24

Indra
02-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Heres a quick snap of all the terrain so far- minus one building. Two Beastmen provide the scale reference.

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/New_Bitmap_Image.JPG

And I still have tons left to make... Keep eyes peeled!

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/02 20:27

torn
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
hey you forgot - there is no reason hive fleet leviathan cant land on a medievil world!

thts my excuse anyways, still dont have one for jungle trees in the underhive though ;)

NathanS
02-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah seriously look at the stories of the kraken on fenris. They
suspect that nome nids got left there and evolved into the monstrous kraken.

Indra
03-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Completed!!!

*collapses with exhaustion*

Well, ok not utterly completed, but 90% done. I have to finish of the matchwood flooring in a lot of them, but I have enough matches to do the job, but I\'ve finally used all the card from the A1 sheet to make the terrain, and I achieved a staggering

pieces of scenery, and accessories such as barricades and walkways and ladders. It was a \'waste not, want not\' project after all. All told, by the time my 2 year old daughter ate some card, stole some card etc, I only threw away about 9 or 10 square inches in total of waste card from the A1 sheet.

I was able to make so much because of the way I cut the ruined edges of the walls in a brick pattern. It hurts my hand now, and I have a blister frmo all the careful cutting and so on but I was able to really maximise my budget. And lets not forget that all the terrain pieces I made have been based, using the card as well, so If I\'d gone without bases I could have maybe made up to twenty ruins.

Look out for the article, I\'m going to do a full one soon, but here are a few pics of all 11 pieces together:

Mordheim Scenery (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/)

They\'re right at the bottom, so scroll through.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/th_Allbuiltscenery-90complete001.jpg

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/03 06:01

NathanS
03-05-2006, 05:51 AM
What was the size of the sheet of card to begin with?

Indra
03-05-2006, 05:54 AM
That would be A1. Pretty big. Go to any art store and they stock it. It\'s about 3 foot by 2 foot. give or take. and its filthy cheap too as long as you get the plain card.

I paid ?1.75 for my sheet. I think its about $3.25 give or take in USD.

Indra
03-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Ok, very sorry for seeming to spam the thread but I took a few snaps of my 12\" square tiles laid out with all the available scenery as I made it. So I have a 2\'x 2\' gaming surface for mordheim (the scenics are easily adapted to be 40k) and I spent about ?10 on getting the materials for the scenery. As you will see there is some seriously large amounts of terrain. You might even argue that there is too much terrain even for moedheim! (I\'d disagree, the more claustrophobic for Mordheim the better).

See what you think.

Laid out in full (http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/TableLayout002.jpg)

:woohoo:

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/03 06:19

DavicusPrime
03-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Nice work. That\'s a lot of stuff in so short a time.

I only just cut out anf glued on bases for my two rock outcroppings and it took me a week to get around to it.

I\'m impressed.

-DavicusPrime

Indra
03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Well I was thinking today actually, it took me about 4 days to do the lot, including the textured paint, but I still need to paint them to finish standard, but it being terrain we\'re talking about a hasty overbrush with drybrush highlight, maybe just the two layers to keep it quick.

I figured, that in this months WD they displayed a table with the ?100 box set of CoD terrain and it was probably less then I had made up here. And I made it for 10% of the cost in cash. Obviously it took time to do it all but I\'m happy to do it as I didnt have the budget. But put another way, dedicate two weekends to it and you\'ll have the same. I just happen to hive some time off so I can do it now. But I also have a 9 month pregnant lady to look after as well as a 2 year old and a dog. Granted she hates me now that I did this so much but I\'m done now.

I will post more pics when They are all finito, so you can all see how it looks.

Also, I cant stress enough the volume of terrain I managed to make. 11 pieces! And I was not only basing them with the card but making floors on the base with it to raise the tiles/matchwood up too. Could have made about 15 pieces If I\'d gone without bases.

Indra
04-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Lets see what you make of this...

Full selection: Textured (http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/CompletedFullSelection002.jpg)

Its the full selection all textured up. Next stage is to add a variation on the base colour to add a bit of variety while tying it all into one consistent colour scheme.

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/04 00:28

Indra
04-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Heres as good a quick snap as I can get:
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Mordheim%20Scenery/th_CompletedFullSelection002.jpg

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/04 15:39

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/06 04:28

torn
04-05-2006, 06:04 PM
it looks good, although from that pic it looks psychodelic pink!

Indra
04-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah I know, thats the camera flash altering the colour. its actually a reddish brown colour, so that I have a good neutral base to mix the colours from when I come to finish the paint work.

I\'ll be mixing the same brown used to make the textured paint and then for 3 of the buildings I\'ll add more red, then the next three will be more blue and the final 4 will be yellower. It means I can get the same sort of colour for a theme throughout and still have variety. Plus I\'ll highlight all the buildings with a beige colour to complete the main paint work and I\'ll finish it off with a light dusting from above with Shadow Grey Spraypaint to give the illusion of dust settling over the whole place. It\'ll be a subtle finish but I think it will work.

Indra
06-05-2006, 04:32 AM
OK GUYS!

I\'ve done a little article on this project now, so If you want to see better snaps and a better walkthrough then check out the modelling articles setcion of the site.

Once again, I will reiterate the volume of scenery I have made for the cost. 11 bits of terrain plus accesories. I have a 3x3 set of terrain tiles for mordheim and the amount of terrain is more than adequate to fill the table surface.

(If I was being totally honest, I\'d tell you that I had the bottle of glue ages ago and so I didnt actually pay for the glue this time round, so in actual fact I spent ?3.50 and made all that terrain... now thats cheap... Plus the ?5 for 20 cieling tiles to make my new mordheim board. Its all about clever use of money. Thats all it is)

wakopanda
07-05-2006, 01:54 AM
nice one indra. i didnt read the second page (lazy) but im not clear on what the matchsitcks are for. im guessing they are the splineterd bits of wood lying on the bases ect?

but its good stuff, i like it. a decent paintjob and it will be great, much better value than GW scenery.

while im here, is acrylic paint (ie what we get from GW) suitable for use on cardboard? or does it need something else. thanks.

Indra
07-05-2006, 05:51 AM
Right, the matchsticks were only included as its what I bought to make my Mordheim terrain to make the flooring and building detailing, you know, medieval styling and all that jazz, cause no one near me stocked balsa wood and I was impatient, didnt want to wait etc etc...

And as for painting the cardboard, steer clear of the acrylics. They are suitable for fine detail but you\'ll be sorry for mass area work. I went to ELC (Early Learning Centre) and bought a bundle of poster paints. 400ml for ?1. They\'re my daughters, and they\'re cheap, and for very little of the actual paint itself I painted all that stuff. It aint finished in those pics, thats just the base coat, but you\'ll run out of paint and money using GW acrylics.

But poster paints in primary colours (RED, BLUE, YELLOW, BLACK, WHITE) and mix up your own in a small dish with a little water and you\'ll be off. If you want harder wearing colour or are making textured paint add some PVA glue to the mix as well, but remember to wash your brushes thoroughly afterwards.

Does that answer you question?

PS Dont be lazy, you should read the second page...