PDA

View Full Version : My 2000 point Ogre Kingdoms list

SquallEvoker
26-07-2007, 02:22 AM
I want to expand my ogre list and I\'d like some advice as to where to go. I already have 6 bulls and 4 leadbelchers doing nothing, but I\'d like to know what works and doesn\'t, so here goes:

Lord: Tyrant (named Martin Wallcrusher)
Cathayan longsword, heavy armor, bull gut, big name wallcrusher, and demon killer scars
296 points

Core: Bulls 10x
ironfists, light armor, standard, musician, champion
480 points

Core: Ironguts 4x
Bull standard, musician, champion
262 points (I have two of this squad)

Special: Leadbelchers 4x
champion
230 points (I have three of this squad)

Total: 2000 points. (yeah I know I\'m missing 10 points... I forgot my codex at a friends\'s place and can\'t remember the 10 point magic item I gave my tyrant. >.<)

I\'d like some suggestions for an expansion to my army that would let me better fight any foe. I\'m planning on adding another group of leadbelchers and a couple ironguts so I have 5 man squads instead of four mans, and a butcher. Aside from this I\'m not too sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and money is not an issue.

Farskit
26-07-2007, 05:36 AM
I\'ll be honest. For a 2k list, it\'s way too small.

10 Bulls are too much. Take two units of three, that\'s enough.

You don\'t want to put all your eggs in one basket...

Then, you need fast attack. How about a Hunter and a couple of Yhetees? Or maybe a Cannibal and a Butcher.

Also, three squads of leadbelchers are ovrekill. Though I admit they can hurt very much at close range, you need only two of them, and I\'d say you could reduce their number to 3 as well.

With all these spare points, consider buying extra heroes (Bruisers if you want, but i prefer Butchers or Hunters), and some fast attacks. DO not forget to bring along Gnoblars, they\'re great.

SquallEvoker
27-07-2007, 03:53 AM
If I was to use gnoblars, what do I do with them? every time I feild any, they get utterly destroyed by a single chariot or some other unit and then they break and flee. I have 24 of them, and I can\'t see any good way to use them. Also, I feel squads of 3 bulls would be easy prey to ranged attacks as 3 wounds would make them take a break test. I like my big unit of bulls so they can be a nearly unstoppable pillar of strength as a frontline behemoth. I set them up first and scare the piss out of most people. they then focus almost all their units toward trying to kill the bulls, when I set up ironguts on the sides of them for a nasty flank attack. the leadblechers also go on the far sides to prevent anyone from flanking as chariots are blown apart and would be cavalry is slagged. Could you elaborate as to strategies for the use of smaller ogre units? I\'m open to advice, and if you could, (I don\'t know if you have an ogre kingdoms codex or not) post an alternative list that may be better prepared to fight different things. I am a veteran of 40K but a brand new fantasy player, and though I know how dice rolls work and the rules and such, I\'m still adapting to the new combat system. Thank you.

Farskit
27-07-2007, 05:08 AM
I understand your point about Ogre Unit sizes. You\'re right, 3 is probably too small.

As for Gnoblars, they perform a specific role: getting smashed to bits. Your 24 (make it 25 of you can) don\'t even cost 50 points and do not cause Panic tests when they flee.

Put them in front of your Ogres, and suddenly the enemy can\'t draw a line of sight to your precious Bulls and Ironguts.

Or they can follow your faster Ogres and flank units that are already engaged by the Bulls.

No, Gnoblars are not to be underestimated. Expect them to die, but to die in a useful manner. I usually play Skaven, and make a large use of Slaves, which are basically the same unit.

I\'ve always though that the problem with too large units is that they die in close combat. They charge one unit, smash it, but there are four others ready to counter-charge nearby.

Here\'s my advice: split the unit in two. And give them full command (or at least Bellowers, or whatever their musicians are called). The +1 to rally is extremely useful.
You could drop one unit of Leadblechers ot get the points for the commands. Then, with the rest, maybe you can buy a Butcher.

Magic is not to be underestimated in Fantasy. With 2 dispel dice (which is all your army has), you won\'t be able to counter spells and your ogres are not going to like that. That\'s why I advice a Butcher, with a dispel scroll. Plus the Gastromancy is really useful.

SquallEvoker
27-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, I was already planning to get a butcher, because I know how wizards can kill my men (my opponent fields a goblin shaman and his accursed shrooms.) I know cutting my bulls in half sounds good, but I really need that second rank. Even if it gives no rank bonus, it gives me the ability to fight back when I get flanked. I\'ll probably cut my bulls into two squads of 3x2 and make up for the loss of my leadbelchers with a butcher. I wouldn\'t be able to give him too much wargear, but he\'d be functional. That still doesn\'t leave room for gnoblars, and I technically have 48 gnoblars, but 24 of them are stored in a battle force that I will be getting for Christmas (I know, I should get coal, but my parents haven\'t changed the hiding spot since I was six, so I say they\'re at fault =P.) I really don\'t want to ditch any of my ogres for them, and even still, my ogres 12\" charge range keeps me out of reach of all but cavalry and chariots. If I get the points freed up, I may field them, but other than that, thanks for the advice and input. Anyone else that may have some tips is free to post, as I\'ll be looking for all the help I can get for the tournament I\'m entering this next week!

Your Conscience
20-08-2007, 03:33 PM
This ogre army is small in 2000 points you should have more units!

Lord: Tyrant (named Martin Wallcrusher)
Cathayan longsword, heavy armor, bull gut, big name wallcrusher, and demon killer scars
296 points

Not sure what some of these do but it looks alrigth is there a ward save in there?

Core: Bulls 10x
ironfists, light armor, standard, musician, champion
480 points

This unit is way to big instead i would break them down into smaller units of 3 and then you can give a unit another bull if you have the points left over. Also with a bid unit like this people will just avoid these until they can get a combined charge on them. Or anoter way would be to drop most of this unit and get a butcher with it.

Core: Ironguts 4x
Bull standard, musician, champion
262 points (I have two of this squad)

Nice unit very powerful remebr to get combined charges when you are able to

Special: Leadbelchers 4x
champion
Nice