PDA

View Full Version : do u glue before painting?

grinkohof
26-04-2006, 01:03 AM
hey! as the question says, do you glue before painting? personally i don\'t. i prefere to paint my models on the sprue as i find that it is easier to do detail and such before i glue them together. i know people are not going to agree with me on this but i just cant stand it when people glue their modles together, spray them then never get around to painting them because they have already started using them in battle or bought something else to \"paint\". i try not to battle people who have unpainted armies as i find that it is less fun and annoying. so do you agree, disagree or have any thoughts on the subject?

grinkohof

DavicusPrime
26-04-2006, 01:28 AM
RE: Assemble before or after paint?
I assemble most of the minis before painting... So far I\'ve left off detail bits like grenades and spare missiles for my devastators until everything was painted because I didn\'t want to paint around them. Painting assembled models allows me to see what the finished product will look like as I paint and it allows me to not waste time on bits that will not be visiable once the model is assembled. Chest eagles are a major one for my bolter toting marines... I do well enough to look good but I don\'t aganize over the details the bolter obscures.

RE: Using unpainted minis.
I personally prefer playing with painted minis as well as completed senery. But my lack of time and my fellow player\'s lack of both time and cash means we play with lots of proxies and/or unpainted stuff. It can take me a month to paint a 6 man unit so adding more than a unit a month means playing with lots of grey and pewter as well as undercoated minis.

Lately I\'ve spent all my efforts making scenery because I got sick of stacked books for hills and paper cut-outs for forests. I still have a few weeks worth of work to complete the terrain set I\'m currently working on but only one week to do it before we play again.

On top of that I finally started painting my last tactical Squad for my 1000pt list. By summer I\'ll have a chance to start on my meager collection of Orks!

All of this assumes I\'m playing at home with friends. At the shop, I don\'t willingly play with mini\'s that are not fully painted. The closest I came to doing so was a speeder I finished painting At the shop prior to the game but the pilot and gunner hadn\'t been glued in yet and I hadn\'t put a coat of finish spray on yet.

-DavicusPrime

Starks333
26-04-2006, 01:33 AM
painting your minis bit by bit is a huge waste of time and unneeded extra bit of work, i glue as much as i can together, while still allowing myself to get at the details

i have zero fully painted armies, and have very few models fully together, ive been playing for like 10 years now

but the problem isnt why not, its why, and the answer is because i cant get myself to put models on the table im not happy with...and i only enjoy good quality work, so ill take the extra yrs to convert every model or add a bit of flavour

and playing people with unpainted models is just as bad as playing vs someone who has no abilities, actually to be honest i prefer black primed models over things that look like a tornado hit them with a bowl of paints

but its not like im going to turn down a game because the person im playing hasnt had time to paint, doesnt care to paint, or simply cant, that would be silly

but for modelling purposes glue paint glue

Starks

Indra
26-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Due to the fact I have a horde army and generally hate construction of said horde, I tend to glue it all first and then paint as much as possible, getting to a decent gaming standard. Havent yet gone all out to do a nicely painted (as in exquisite) army but I plan to do some Smurfs of Imperial Fists to fill that niche.

As for playing, I try to only play using painted mini\'s, I personally think that tactically, a nicely painted army has a lot of intimidation factor attached to it, so I try using painted only mini\'s

NathanS
26-04-2006, 04:06 AM
It all depends on how i feel i usually attach the legs the torso and heads if they are helmets paint that. Then i add the shoulder pads to the arms and paint that then the back pack but i have a whole assembly line thing going on.

torn
27-04-2006, 04:36 AM
i always glue before painting. generally most stuff i do is converted. even if only a little, so i want the composition right befor ei do the colours

steve bruce
29-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Sorry Grinkohof, I\'m like the others. I glue before I paint, but I will leave off backpacks, weapons, tracks and other objects that stop me getting to the entire figure with my paint/air brush.
This system allows me to undercoat batches of models quickly and cheaply.
Also, don\'t you find it annoying painting things on the sprue and then losing the paint finish when you snip the part off and have to touch up those sections?

Steve

torn
29-04-2006, 05:29 AM
to be honest some things ill paint partially finished, like ill paint the inside of a tank before i seal it off, but if i can get to the bit on a finished model then ill glue it first.

Corvus
29-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I always glue before painting, tried it and i really got frustrated clipping it off and spoiling the paint job lol

torn
29-04-2006, 04:49 PM
the reason i undercoat black (one of them anyways) is that if you get a bit you cant see properly to paint you can just leave it black and nobody will know. Obviously not the case for display models butfor your basic rank and file it makes things a lot easier, and its not likelies anyone else will check and notice.

the unforgiven
07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
depend what the model is infantary i paint when their asembled (unless their realy fideley)so i can put the shading in the right place. tanks on the other hand i personaly thing that they can be painted in more detail on the sprue then put it together. bikes make the bike and rider, paint the rider and bike then put the rider on the bike.
same with sentinels and dreadnought\'s.
hope this will help in any sort of way:)

Indra
07-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I always found painting the tank parts seperately was handy, especially for doing internal paint jobs, but then the issue I had afterwads was the fitting of the tank.

Because it was all on sprue it was never test fitted and a lot of unfortunate warping happened and I had gaps everwhere that I had to fill. Ruined my nice paint job, put it that way. Bikers and bikes seperate, yeah, I do that.

c02
07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
depends on the model for me e.g large models my carnifex i painted legs+tail / torso / head / weapons seperatly unfortunatly paint had dried needed remixing weapons differnt shade than rest:pinch: but small models i paint glued leaving backpacks /accesories off

TheSovereign
08-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Generally, you want to paint models as close to fully assembled as possible. Usually when people paint on the sprue, you can tell. But if you\'re the kind of person that would paint on a sprue, you probably don\'t have to worry about mucking up highlights or anything either. If you\'re serious about painting, it\'s a bad idea as you have to go over all the spots where the bit comes off the sprue. Not to mention that gluing will mess up the paint.

Intellectawe
09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I glue everything before I paint. that way I dont haev to waste time detailing areas that aren\'t going to be seen.

lupusumbra
29-05-2006, 02:06 AM
ok the way i see it is that depending on the modle for a basic troop i don\'t worry about making the pritty for squad leaders and army leads i put extra detals in them. That said i tend to dry fit modles together and then paint with the modle paratly assambled that way i don\'t mess up the paint cuting parts out and waste time painting things that arnt going to be seen. But it all has to do with the dry fit. so a little of both but backpacks and bolters for my marines are doneon the sprue then tuched up after word.

lupusumbra
29-05-2006, 02:06 AM
ok the way i see it is that depending on the modle for a basic troop i don\'t worry about making the pritty for squad leaders and army leads i put extra detals in them. That said i tend to dry fit modles together and then paint with the modle paratly assambled that way i don\'t mess up the paint cuting parts out and waste time painting things that arnt going to be seen. But it all has to do with the dry fit. so a little of both but backpacks and bolters for my marines are doneon the sprue then tuched up after word.