PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point Chaos Undivided List...

Captain Castus
16-06-2007, 09:58 PM
OK... In anticipation of the whole \'Tale of X Gamers\' idea here\'s a draft list for my first 1000 points of Chaos Undivided:

- Exalted Champ, Grt. Weapon, Armour of Damnation (134)

- 16 Chaos Warriors, Shields, Full Command (270)

- 20 Marauders, Light Armour, Full Command (165)

- 5 Chosen Knights, Musician, Banner, War Banner (280)

- 6 Furies (90)

- Chaos Spawn (60)

Total 999

I never played a full battle of WFB in my life (only the Skull Pass games) so any help and hints on how to improve this would be gratefully appreciated!

The idea is that this is a \'core\' for an eventual 2000 point list...

Thanks!

CC

Your Conscience
17-06-2007, 09:12 PM
This is alright but you would also need a sorcerer for a bit of magic protection

Good

Good

Don\'t make them chosen and don\'t give them a magic banner. You could also drop them altogether and get another unit of warriors

- 6 Furies (90)

Alright for war machine hunting and march blocking

- Chaos Spawn (60)
Drop

Captain Castus
17-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks!

So do you reckon drop the spawn and the knights upgrades and get a sorceror instead?

CC

Trick
19-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Captain Castus wrote:

OK... In anticipation of the whole \'Tale of X Gamers\' idea here\'s a draft list for my first 1000 points of Chaos Undivided:

No horse? I\'d recommend getting a steed even if he\'s in an infantry unit. +2 to his armour save and he can\'t be targeted either.

Make these 12 strong - 6x2 for maximum attacks for best cost.

Light armour isn\'t all that great on its own, drop it and bump the unit to 25. Think about Flails too.

Not bad, these guys will be great support for your other units

- 6 Furies (90)
Good one

- Chaos Spawn (60)
Don\'t know much about spawn, but go for it!

Total 999

I never played a full battle of WFB in my life (only the Skull Pass games) so any help and hints on how to improve this would be gratefully appreciated!

The idea is that this is a \'core\' for an eventual 2000 point list...

Thanks!

CC

Not bad matey, I\'ve given you tips based on advice and tactica I got from a Chaos Veteran. Good luck!

Trick

DarthXander
19-06-2007, 07:59 PM
My only quibble would be your lack of magic.

I don\'t know whether Chaos has some form of magical resistance but if not things might get messy when the magic missiles get flying.

One of the largest threats to your infantry in WHFB is panicing and fleeing.

This is quite often induced by a magic missile especially when ones such as the Gaze of Nagash have S4 and cause 2D6 hits.
The S4 lowering your save by one effectively ignoring your light armour...

You only need to suffer 25% casualties to have to take a panic test and failing this can cause tests in your whole army if you are unlucky!

Trick
19-06-2007, 10:27 PM
DarthXander wrote:

I don\'t know whether Chaos has some form of magical resistance but if not things might get messy when the magic missiles get flying.

This isn\'t such a big issue at 1,000pts since there won\'t be many powerful mages around, and if there are you can guarantee your opponent will be light on troop numbers!

If this does still cause concern, you could always drop the Chosen status of the knights and give them the Mark of Khorne instead giving more magic resistance.

Trick

Your Conscience
27-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah also in 1000 points make him an aspiring champ so he\'s cheaper and also drop the armour of dammnation in favour of the helm of many eyes. Which will allow you to strike first and because it requires a leadership test it can also be re-rolled due to the mark of undivided. i would also drop the spawn and try to get a cheap mage in or even go for a brayshamen which are even cheaper!

Captain Castus
15-07-2007, 05:18 PM
OK... Thanks for the advice... Here\'s the second draft:

- Aspiring Champ, Grt. Weapon, Beserker Sword (124)

- Sorceror, dispel scroll (?anything else) (110)

- 14 Chaos Warriors, Shields, Full Command (240)

- 5 Chosen Knights, Full Command (215)

- 6 Furies (90)

Total (so far) = 944 (out of 1000)

Didn\'t like the idea of the \'Helm of Many Eyes\' as it makes them \'stupid\'...

The As.Champ. will go with the Warriors to make them 3 ranks of 5...

Do you think I should give the sorceror a horse and put him with the knights? (I\'m thinking the new \'direct-only\' sorceror :) )

What else could I do with the remaining 54 points?

Thanks!

CC.

Your Conscience
15-07-2007, 06:46 PM
But with the mark of chaos undivided you are able to re-roll the leadersship test if failed. Also i wouldn\'t take the berserker sword because it is only good for the large mounted models like the mounted heroes and also with the sorcere make it a Lv 2 and drop the scroll. IMO i don\'t think that it will be used that often and cos u only have 1 of them it will be used up quickly. With the spare points i would just add some more marauders or warriors to your units. So i would take the helm of many eyes with the mark of chaos undived because then it would mean that you could strike first with a re-rollable leadership test if they test for it is failed

torn
16-07-2007, 02:21 AM
first thing id drop would be the knights. in this size game you are paying way too many points for a small unit that can be beaten easily on combat resolution, and being faster than your main army will not be supported. Plus a dwarf organ gun, or any decent missile armed regiment can destroy them in 1 turn of firing, and they will be the first target. You only need to kill 2 to force a panic test, and even with re-rolls that doesnt mean they wont fail.

If you want speed go for the marauder horsemen, you will get twice as many for the same points.

A chaos sorcerer shouldnt need any extra equipment because you will be hoping for him to be casting magic, id make him level 2 giving him 3 casting dice (1 from the pool), you could possibly drop the aspiring champ and go with a lv1 sorcerer and a lv2, which should give you magic dominance, as well as 4 dispell and 6 casting dice. Most people dont take any magic at 1000pts, but if you decide to you should go all the way rather than half magic/half fighting heroes.

Remember magic is also your only ranged weapon.

the furies are an interesting choice, and their speed could make he difference, if you can keep them above unit strength 5 you can use them for flanking, as well as war machine removal or single character assassination as appropriate.

Its difficult with chaos to make a small points list because everything you want is so pricey. Marauders are a good choice because they are fairly cheap points wise and not to bad for humans.

At the end of the day you have to buy what you like, and put into your plans how you are going to upgrade the army when you want to go up to 1500, 2000 etc.

Wraithlord
18-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Trick wrote:

DarthXander wrote:

I don't know whether Chaos has some form of magical resistance but if not things might get messy when the magic missiles get flying.

This isn't such a big issue at 1,000pts since there won't be many powerful mages around, and if there are you can guarantee your opponent will be light on troop numbers!

If this does still cause concern, you could always drop the Chosen status of the knights and give them the Mark of Khorne instead giving more magic resistance.

Trick

A little perspective... at 1000 points i play 2 shamans and a few bound items. Orcs and Goblins BTW.

Indra
18-02-2008, 10:47 PM
My advice to CC is this- take the extra points and add a few 'spare' models to the rear of the Chaos Warriors as the first casualty you take will remove a rank bonus from you. So put one or two more on there to protect that all important rank bonus.

Secondly, the Chosen Knights are powerful on the charge, but as with anything in this game you need to double up on the hits to score the right combat resolution to get the wins. As they're so fast the only unit capable of doing this would be the Furies, and they're too small a unit to maintain thier unit strength for very long. The other choice is to go with the Marauder Horsemen instead and get more for your numbers, but then you're starting to fall away from the knights of chaos theme and turning into a marauder army. Don't mistake me, I like the knights, and if I were set upon keeping them I might direct a few of those spare points into taking another knight. The key to using the knights really is the combination of a frontal charge from them plus a flank hit from the furies. If you can perfect that maneuver you'll do really well, but a lot of generals wil spot that ploy and probably gun down the furies, so you'll need to make sure that you've got some kind of backup plan to use with the knights. If you can get the knights to the flanks to hit the sides whilst the footsloggers tie up the enemy you'll really be laughing.

Thirdly, the Champion really should take the helm of many eyes, and a Great Weapon. This combined with the mark of the undivided should make him reliable enough to stay smart during the game. The Sorceror? Drop the Dispel Scroll and go Level 2. Whilst the dispel is handy, having more dice to cast your spell will work out better in the long run as this is an aggressive force.

Indra