PDA

View Full Version : Making Better Jungle Trees

Indra
17-04-2006, 07:47 PM
This topic discusses Torn\'s newly published article.

Find it under the left hand column; The Game; Modelling

Torn, really nice work on the scenics mate! I find masking tape ok, but I find it comes away after time and use. I\'ll tell you what works well though if you got the time:

Thin gauze/banadge dipped in polyfiller which is made fairly thin. It also leaves a nice texture to drybrush later on.

Otherwise, good job mate, I agree that the jungle plants GW supply are pants and your improvements are in line with what I think they should have been like in the first place.

:woohoo:

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/04/17 20:48

torn
17-04-2006, 08:04 PM
in my experience the masking tape is fine once it has been painted, i cant remember the last peice of scenery i built that wasnt made of masking tape. I agree gause and filler stuff would be nice but a lot of time and a lot of extra cost!

i bought the trees off ebay and i really hated the branches and trunks that came with them. I have to say nearly a week later the green stuff is still stuck strong to the branches, i was expecting 1 or 2 to fall off and have to be glued back on.

Indra
17-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, all the same, it was a good article with some nice pics, so I\'m boosting your kARMA. Thats the kind of submission that this site wants, so we can stay at the top of the charts!

*Choirs of angels sing as IndraFurya boosts Torn\'s Karma*

(You\'ll also note the irony in the choirs/angels part as this is in fact my 666th post... weird or what...)

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/04/17 21:53

Gaius Julius
17-04-2006, 08:59 PM
whoah i am actually quite frightened!

Corvus
17-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Awesome tips I agree.. I haveta say I like the idea of using the bandage..

torn
17-04-2006, 11:09 PM
ok heres a tip thats a bit random, but if you buy a battlemat and want to mount it on a board use wallpaper paste, PVA glue will warp it but wallpaper paste keeps it perfectly flat.

Indra
17-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah, Wallpaper paste is better than PVA for battlematting. Plus if you ever need to get it off to replace it or something the glue is strong enough to be durable but you can remove it later if needs be, unlike when you use PVA.

DavicusPrime
19-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Good idea, that article.

I\'ve always thought the GW jungle trees didn\'t much look like trees to me. Maybe some form of large shrub, but not a tree.

Thus, I use the GW jungle trees as-is for mid-sized vegitation.

I made 5 large trees based off the big maples we\'ve got around here. The shortest is 6\" tall with the tallest pushing 12\" I built the first (and largest) one based on the idea of having large, ancient forests on my Marines\' homeworld. And in hindsight I may have let things get away from me... For example: A dreadnought can stand beneath the lowest branches with out scraping it\'s hull.

So I decided I needed some underbrush to fill in the lower tier of my forests. That\'s where the \"Jungle\" trees come in. I looked around the local area (Pacific Northwest, USA) and found many plants that sort of look like the GW jungle trees mixed in with everything else, so that\'s what I did with them.

Mixed in with the larger trees, the \"Jungle\" trees have become an effective looking large shrub. I\'ve also added in some rocks and small underbrush on their bases to finish the look.

Conclusion: I like the GW jungle trees but think they\'re misnamed.

-DavicusPrime

Indra
19-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Give us a pic of your tall trees davicus, I\'d like a look!