PDA

View Full Version : stripping miniatures

torn
17-04-2006, 03:55 AM
no this isnt about models of half naked women

what im wondering is has anyone here stripped the paint of their mini\'s before and if so how did they do it?

ive tried soaking in nail varnish remover and a scrubbing with toothbrush but its barely doing anything

any ideas would be much appreciated

NathanS
17-04-2006, 04:07 AM
I have heard that oven cleaner works well. But if it is a metal mini use mineral spirts.

Indra
17-04-2006, 05:02 AM
The thick paint stripping bleach you can buy (Vitrol or something), and let the mini soak overnight before toothbrushing it. Only for metal mini\'s though, if its plastic I\'m stumped.

torn
17-04-2006, 05:50 AM
yeah its metal i want. its 2nd hand ebay minis - my own brand new ones i paint thinly so i can go over if i want. these are just on way too thick!

Indra
17-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Yeah, industrial paint stripper, vitron or sommat. Soak overnight and brush off. Heavy fumes though and wear gloves. Highly irritant. Jus like all those pro-painted ebay mini\'s...

:blink:

Minos
17-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Pinesol floor cleaner works good. Just let it soak overnight then tooth brush it off. Any pine kitchen cleaner for that matter works. DO not do this to a plastic mini though.

TheSovereign
17-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Two words: Simple Green. It\'s non-toxic and works wonders. Don\'t try gasoline or any of these ridiclous ways. Just use Simple Green.

torn
17-04-2006, 06:36 PM
i found a website with everything listed and simple green was the best, unfortunately i dont know much about cleaning products and my girlfriend didnt seem to own anything with acetane in it apart from nail varnish remover - which has been crap.

i had a good idea though, instead of a toothbrush ill get one of those nail brushes. Nice hard bristles.

Im not worried about damaging the models, it took me 4 hours to cut through frodo baggins with a knife so i doubt a brush will do anything

torn
18-04-2006, 12:15 AM
ok 4 hours ago i went to the store and bought some white spirits, not the turpentine substitue but the actual harmful to all animals stuff.

i removed the nail varnish remover from my tub, replaced it with the white spirits and left it for about 3 hours.

I then took out the minis and gave them a good scrubing with a nail brush, which has bristles that are tougher but not too tough, and is a lot bigger, so 10 minutes on each (and using a toothbrush to get to the fidelly bits) and there you go stripped minis!

Indra
18-04-2006, 12:55 AM
OK torn, if you were successful, can you post here a guide on how you did it? Give ball park figures for cost etc, as it\'s really useful information.

I\'m afraid that I\'m going to have to boost your Karma again as you seem to be providing some very useful info.

:dry: :huh: :blink: :pinch: :woohoo:

wakopanda
18-04-2006, 03:05 AM
IndraFurya wrote:

OK torn, if you were successful, can you post here a guide on how you did it? Give ball park figures for cost etc, as it\'s really useful information.

I\'m afraid that I\'m going to have to boost your Karma again as you seem to be providing some very useful info.

:dry: :huh: :blink: :pinch: :woohoo:

if boosting his karma is such a bad thing why not divert some of it over this way, huh:whistle:

anyway, ive long wanted to know how to properly stip minis, because theres lots of contradicting advice, and ive got a load of poorly painted eldar aspect warriors (which are both metal and expensive) 2+2=? so i could use a way to stip them without melting them should i ever return to eldar

torn
18-04-2006, 03:11 AM
i can write a guide, but im wont have any photos yet because i havent got any minis at hand i need to strip, so i dunno if its worth doing one now or waiting for the photos.

i do think to make this site more attractive to potential members some more moddeling and tactics articles would be useful!

wakopanda
18-04-2006, 04:47 AM
why not do one now... advising people on what products to use / where to get them / how to use them ect can only be a good thing. even better PM me the details and let me pick up the karma for itB)

Indra
18-04-2006, 04:51 AM
Tell you what Wako, get a good bit of advice here now, in a thread of your own and I\'ll read it. Then I\'ll give you a boost.

:)

But seriously though (Pokes fun at Wakopanda) Torn, Pics aside, do a guide here and now in list format and when you\'re ready to add pics you can edit them in at a later date, and at the same time post an article too.

I was really impressed with your work on the keyboard in relation to this so I\'d like to see a finished product.

:woohoo:

wakopanda
18-04-2006, 04:55 AM
id be happy to make an article. unfortunately, my one and only attempt at paint stripping resulted in a proud striking scorpion exarch looking more like a chaos spawn. (hmm, could sell it on ebay as a spawn... theres an idea)
so that said, im the one who needs an article. if i started telling people how to melt their minitures then i wouldnt be the most popular guy around would i. (pictures self being lynched by angry mob of people with pitchforks and throwing molten minitures at my eyes *shudder*)

torn
18-04-2006, 05:07 AM
im not sure if i understand your comment \'impressed by my work on the keyboard\' because its been dipping my fingers in substances that are apprently \'deadly to fish\' that hurts!

i need to do a bit of research on stripping plastic mini\'s. Anything with acetane in it will dissolve them (its the same stuff used in the plastic cement games workshop sells)

but here is what you need for stripping metal minis

1 - some badly painted metal miniatures. You can take them off the base first if you want to re-use it, but putting the base in the mix will destroy it.

2 - i found white spirit works best (not substitute). All these pine cleaners and oven cleaners people have suggested to me are great but are nothing compared to actual paint stripping chemicals. shouldnt cost more than around ?1 to ?2.50. I bought about 5 litres for ?2 from wilkinsons.

3 - a nail brush and a tooth brush. Using just a tooth brush will take you hours, literally. Expect to spend around 15 minutes scrubbing each mini clean. Also note these cant be used for hygene purposes afterwards. costs should be no more than ?1

4 - a microwavable plastic or glass tub. You need microwavable plastic because acetane will disolve polystyrene plastic. Tuppaware is best. Dont buy this just find it in your kitchen but dont tell your wife/girlfriend/mother until afterwards.

5 - somewhere to do this. Although i did this in my kitchen it is because i live in a 1 floor flat. I did however put the tub full of spirits on the roof outside to steep so my kitchen didnt get filled with fumes. I suggest having a window open at all times.

well thats about it. pour the spirits into the tub, leave it to steep for a few hours and then scrub. Alternitavely you can leave it to steep overnight or even for days so it takes less scrubbing time.

Also you sometimes hear \'why is my stripped mini all dark?\' well i can tell you that is because it was undercoated black and the metal has been stained.

wakopanda
21-04-2006, 05:39 AM
increasing torns karma for his useful guide. maybe if you want to do some extra reaserch/presentation you can submit it to the site in the modelling section, cause paint stripping is one of those things that i find comes up time and time again, and its useful for people to know that your not supposed to use white spirits on plastic minis.

nice one torn!

Indra
21-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Torn, that was some amazing work there. Very useful post to anyone wanting to strip mini\'s. Next time you do it, take a few pics of before. during and after, and submit it as an article using the submit content menu. Its this kind of useful info we want to see as articles on site.

Good work mate.

torn
22-04-2006, 03:35 AM
IndraFurya wrote:

Torn, that was some amazing work there. Very useful post to anyone wanting to strip mini\'s. Next time you do it, take a few pics of before. during and after, and submit it as an article using the submit content menu. Its this kind of useful info we want to see as articles on site.

Good work mate.

yeah i will do - i just need to find some stuff to strip lol then ill take the pictures, ill have to root through some cupboards and stuff.

research is going well, so as soon as i get pics ill do an article

grinkohof
10-05-2006, 01:01 AM
wow! thanks guys, lots of useful information here! i recently came into ownership of second hand metal modles that need stripping...i think i\'ll use them as statues for imperial scenery...

torn
17-05-2006, 06:30 AM
ok ive just found something out - over time white spirits will dissolve even tough plastic (like my nail brush i use to scrub the paint off models)

it practically crumpled in my hand, like when something turns to dust in a movie. So plan is to buy a wooden nail brush, im also going to experiment with a wire brush to see if it damaged models.

grinkohof
17-05-2006, 06:32 AM
did the brush crumble in your hands or did the model? was it a plastic model? do you know of anything that strips paint off plastic models because i\'ve got some second hand space marines that need a good strip!

torn
17-05-2006, 06:36 AM
no it was a plastic brush, but i wouldnt use that on plastic models.

As far as i know brake fluid is good for plastic models, and possible nail varnish remover but id only soak them for a few hours, not overnight, and do it in bits not all at once.

Also its generally not worth trying to get every scrap of paint off, if the layer is as flat as the model then just re-undercoat it, it shouldnt lose detail. If the model has had a very thick coat of paint applied in the first place it will be harder to strip.

grinkohof
17-05-2006, 06:39 AM
these space marines have been repainted about ten times...as you can imagine the paint is now super thick on them...i have to try something...

torn
17-05-2006, 06:42 AM
i would try getting a toothbrush you dont plan on using again, and some nail varnish remover in a little pot, and just dip the brush in the remover and scrub.

The only problem with plastic is if you scrub too hard they will be very easy to damage. I mean lets be honest you could bite through a plastic marine if you wanted to.

Intellectawe
17-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Easy Off oven cleaner. spray it on, and 45 minutes later scrub it off.

Then, if there is paint still on the model, use Pine Sol. Let your models stay submerged in the stuff for 8 hours. Scrub off aftwerwards.

Always works, and both are plastic safe.

lupusumbra
29-05-2006, 02:49 AM
hey i am kind of partial to using pinesol for my mines, it takes a little while but it isn\'t bad for you or animals, just let the mines over night or so. If you have the space and arn\'t worried about somthingkinda toxic break fluid works really well. Eather one works for metal and plastic minis.

mark
23-06-2006, 09:16 PM
ive tried oven clearner but the sort ive got only works on metal, what is pinesol is it some sort of cleaning agent and weres the best place to get it ?

kharn the betrayer
23-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I have had sucess with oven cleaner but it has to be relatively expensive foaming type.

lupusumbra
24-06-2006, 06:16 AM
pine sol, the stuff you use to wash the floor... it takesa day or so to strip them right wiht it, but its safe for the modles, and you, it will strip metal and plastic fairly quickly.

Break flood works, but its not good for you, or any little ones in the house. So eather way, eather one is good pine sol is cheap

TheSovereign
24-06-2006, 07:45 AM
lupusumbra wrote:

pine sol, the stuff you use to wash the floor... it takesa day or so to strip them right wiht it, but its safe for the modles, and you, it will strip metal and plastic fairly quickly.

Break flood works, but its not good for you, or any little ones in the house. So eather way, eather one is good pine sol is cheap

Yes I can second Pine-Sol. I left minatures in it for three days with no adverse effects. It doesn\'t remove ridiculous amounts of stuck-on primer, but very few things will. Overall it works quite well, I\'d advise diluting it with an equal amount of water.

lupusumbra
24-06-2006, 07:57 AM
yes daulte it,usean empty peutbut or pikle jar to soak your modles in makes finding them easyer, and you canstart to see the paint come off. Just have a spare bottle about the same size and find a cheep strainer to use to get eather your modles out, or the paint that flakes off. about once a mouth change bottles, to clean it out and then refill. soft wire brushes, or nail bruhes and a tothpicare wounderfull for getinbg paint out of the hard to reach sapces. soak, brush, soak, brush, and that should do it, as many times as you need to to get itdone, if you go on a vaction, its cool, just brush them once first.

As far as the break fuide goes, i had some trouble with some modles, that were left for a few days, so you need to be carful with them.

spent a lot of time repainting, never more then one coat at a time.

mark
26-06-2006, 01:38 AM
kharn the betrayer wrote:

I have had sucess with oven cleaner but it has to be relatively expensive foaming type.
what brand is best ?

pine sol sounds like it will do the job but i would rather stripp a mini in an afternoon than a couple of days but ill use it as a last resort

lupusumbra
26-06-2006, 04:29 AM
any thing that is gona do it in a afternoon, is going to be really bad for you and the model. So some of the comerical paint stripers will do it in about 5 min but if you use them your gona strip the plastic and make it very britle. So if you want to try them, feel free but that would be what i used for metal not plastic minies.

Indra
26-06-2006, 05:01 AM
With paint stripping time is essential. You ought to give a lot of time. Its just one of those things that if you rush it you\'l regret it.

Cant really say more than that.

Skrall
26-06-2006, 05:02 AM
I use a busted clipper. it has one cutter limb, makes a great scrap and such

Hawke

mark
26-06-2006, 04:47 PM
ive used a cheap oven cleaner before and i left a mini to soke for about half an hour and bout 5/10 mins brushing it with an old tooth brush and it worked well on the metal just leaving a bit of a stain, but only took off a little bit on the plastic part, when i painted over it, it came out ok. plus kithcen cleaners are fine for me and pets and i dont have to worry about doing it out side so i can leave them to sook in a sink with the plug in.

kharn what brand cleaner did you use ?

DarthXander
20-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Right well just put a good 2000pts into an ice-cream tub of white spirits fingers crossed the paint will come off nice and easy in the morning!

DarthXander
20-07-2006, 05:06 PM
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS IN AN ICE-CREAM TUB

The ice cream tub melted and the models at the bottom not have nice soft mushy bases and all the paint is still stuck fast!

:angry:

*deleted the swearing. Dont make me wag my finger at you...*

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/07/21 05:36

lupusumbra
06-08-2006, 11:37 PM
found somthing out the other day about pinesol, take your minies off the base. I don\'t know if its made out of a differant plastic or somthing, but i melted one, i don\'t know, why only the base melted, but it did, took about 3 days, i was gone or would have pulled it out sooner