PDA

View Full Version : Brown stuff?

Corvus
11-04-2006, 12:08 AM
No... not what your thinking, but this stuff!

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/images/pages/htt07.htm

What is that like compared to greenstuff and what is it used for?

Starks333
11-04-2006, 02:02 AM
i believe its essentially the same with a few different properties

i could see it being more clay like, so softer(but dont take my word for it)

i dont see it used often, i usually see greenstuff used since it can be purchased in huge packs

i personally have found that i like for the most part greenstuff to be more blue than yellow for bigger things with less detail, and a bit more yellow than blue for more detailed things(softer)

Starks

torn
11-04-2006, 02:18 AM
the difference between greenstuff and brownstuff is greenstuff dries flexible, so it doesnt break in moulds and stuff.

brownstuff dries hard, which is useful for making blades and axe heads, can be filed into shape better and stuff. IMO i bought some but i never use it because plasticard and sheet aluminium is better for flat things.

Indra
16-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I guess if you\'re doing flatter items then plasticard would be better, but if you\'re sculpting somthing you want to stay solid then I guess brownstuff is the key, like shoulder joints and things.

mark
25-08-2006, 05:41 AM
do you reackon this stuff would be good for sculpting bionics ? or am i better useing wire fram covered with green stuff ?

Indra
25-08-2006, 06:33 AM
well that depends. If its solid fixture, then BS, if not, and its a limb then GS, of course you can mix the two to get a more solid putty if neither are quite right.

I often mix GS with Milliput and find it works really well for lots of stuff.

mark
25-08-2006, 04:13 PM
its a solid fixture, like fore arms and legs, were do you get milliput ?

adders
25-08-2006, 04:46 PM
You should find milliput in any independent modelling shop.

Years ago (I\'m talking late 80\'s here) GW didn\'t do their own modeeling putty and milliput was the thing to use.

Cheers

mark
25-08-2006, 06:15 PM
well ill have a go with makeing a wire fram then covering it with GS and if that doesnt work ill have a look around for some milliput,

Thanks guys

adders
25-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Well it\'s been a number of years since I last used milliput but from what I remember I found it much harder to work with than green stuff.

The great thing about green stuff is how you can keen working it as it hardens, if I remember milliput tended to crumble if yiu tried working on it for too long.

Romulus81
25-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Depends which Milliput you use, there are about 4 to 5 different types! :unsure:

adders
25-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Aha - I was obviously using the wrong stuff back then, like I said, it\'s been a while - I\'d completely forgotten that (If I ever knew it in the first place). ;)

Post edited by: adders, at: 2006/08/25 21:44

Indra
26-08-2006, 03:44 AM
You can milliput at art shops too. I find that if you use vaseline or water as you work its stays smoother and crumbles less. Of course when I say vaseline, its a trace amount on the scalpel, not huge blobs.