PDA

View Full Version : Help customizing SM

Chaplain Orthox
29-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey guys... I got the space marine battle force for Xmas, and am hoping to use these pieces to make my army unique. It has a different color scheme than any I have seen but I think I need to do some conversions on the models to really make it my own. I have green stuff, but have not really had much experience with it, and maybe this would be a good time for some practice! Any ideas how I could make my units look more like the elite marines, instead of your joe smoe ones? I already am painting them gold/black/silver...

+++just added topic icon

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/01/02 16:02

Knight of ne
29-12-2006, 07:35 PM
stuff like more purity seals and chapter emblems on them maybe.

Ocelot
29-12-2006, 07:36 PM
I find putting loads of equipment (grenades, packs etc) makes them look very elite. Add scratches and battle damage and you are away!

Viscount Vash
29-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Finding a theme and running with it always helps, linking your chapter with a animal (eg.Space Wolves), a minor geneseed defect or some detail with the home world,
a good rummage around in fantasy plastics accessory sprues can also be the ticket (I used lizard men bits for my Alpha Legion).

Knight of ne
29-12-2006, 07:57 PM
if your planning of not giving your seargents back banners then they would make your elite marines seem more like the companys/chapters finest.

Hephesto
29-12-2006, 08:02 PM
There\'s a whole bunch of things you could do.
First of you can create more dynamic poses with repositioning arms/hands.

The best way would porbably be to find a gimmick for your army (maybe write some fluff for them). This can be from a symbol to a weapon to virtually anything.

A fairly simple way would be to do something with the shoulderpads, adding a symbol made of gs or even card or plasticcard.

Another way is to find another plastic kit with loads of bits and pieces you like and start building. Just a quick example would be the skeleton warriors box from fantasy. That way you get a ton of skeletons you can cut up, with a bit o time an patience one would be able to create for example a legion of the damned.

This way you can build a lott of unique marines with a relatively low extra money investment.

Here\'s a few more idea;
- use parts from 1 race as trophies on your marines to make them veterans (best suited for tyranids)
- skeleton warrior box/tomb king skeletons
- get 1 item and use it often, for example combat shields (necromunda/bretonnians)

Hope this somehow helps,

Hephesto

Viscount Vash
29-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Hepesto is right on there!
Just changing all close combat and power weapons to say axes or katanas gives a cheap, instant extra touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To truly dominate your enemy, you must first dominate his mind!

I\'ve cut some of the dashes out of your post, they were messing around with the page layout. if you want to make a signature permanent then you can create it in your profile. Vader

Post edited by: AunO Vader, at: 2006/12/29 21:47

The Warsmith
29-12-2006, 08:27 PM
yeh find a good style for them like say the far east and give all power weapons katanas and stuff