PDA

View Full Version : Drackonis\' WIP Thread

Drackonis
11-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Horus Heresy, Sons of Horus

The other day I was looking at the Horus Heresy Conversion Comp and figures, ?what the hey! I?ve got nothing better to do!? So I started my epic search for some inspirational pics, eventually, after many long hours of adventure (and misadventure) I came across the picture you see below, which was made for the Horus Heresy expansion for the W40k CCG. And so I had my inspiration; I would make a Sons of Horus marine. I quickly got to sketching out a basic plan of what I wanted my model to approximately look like, which you can also see below.
I would use parts from my Fantasy Chaos Warriors that I had left over, the key parts being the gloves and the sword and I would use some spikes where necessary. For the rest of the model I decided to modify one of my Space Marines, changing arm position, making a new face plate, adding extra details to the chest etc. and all with the help of green stuff. I would use a power pack from a very old static marine. With a basic plan worked out I was off and running.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1548/hhconvph7.jpg

The first step was to work out the position of the arms, which came fairly quickly, after that I started The Butchering and got to work cutting off hands, removing weapons, cutting chunks out of arms? Good times? The right arm would need to be completely repositioned so I split it up into 5 parts; shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist and hand. The left arm was quite a lot simpler, all I needed to do was cut of the original hand, cut away the axe the Chaos Warrior?s hand was holding and attach a gun in its place and then pin the new hand to the Space Marine arm. The right arm was also completely pinned together.
After the arms were done I started working on the first stage of the green stuff, adding extra width to the legs, a banded look to the chest, a spike to the right arm and some green stuff to the face, from which I would be able to build the new face plate off, all of which you can see below.
like to practice for using green stuff by using blu-tac (type?) first, it helps with working out the procedure I find, and doesn?t go and dry on you like green stuff is, giving you plenty of time for experimentation. As such the right arm, left arm, head, shoulder pads and power pack are all held together with the wonder of blu-tac! I also added some other details like a thing pad and the start of the chest piece.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5773/hhconvp1np7.jpg

Stay tuned for more! I?ve done the right arm, thigh pads and chest piece all in green stuff now. All that remains is, in no particular order, to attach the arms to the body (using pins and then greens stuff for the gaps), create the face plate, neaten up the green stuff with some carving, attach the power pack, attach the shoulder pads, attach another spike to the other shoulder pad, do the knee pads (with green stuff, of course) and then to finally paint and base it? Phew!

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2006/12/11 03:30

Hephesto
11-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Looking good there Drackonis, always good to see some more sons of horus. Good use of the fantasy sword, from chaos warriors I think.

Looking forwrad to the end result, especially with that face mask.

Drackonis
11-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Yeah, the face mask was the thing that got me really interested, I havent seen anything like it in any other pictures or on any models. Its going to be a bit of a pain though, getting the right shape and all. Im also planning on adding a power cable like thing that runs from an outlet on the models right arm into the sword and ill also add some other details to the sword blade, to make it look more like a power sword, that way I can play around with exotic ways to paint power weapons!

Drackonis
12-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Here\'s some more up to date pictures. Ive only got another knee pad, elbow spike and the dreaded face plate to model now, and possibly a furry sort of shoulder mantle thingo if it would work. Then the painting, she begins!

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7611/hhconvp2db4.jpg

Indra
12-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Very nice mate, keep these pics coming.

I\'m boosting your Karma for good effort so far!

Indra KARMA BOOST!

Indra

Post edited by: indra, at: 2006/12/12 08:21

Drackonis
12-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Well, thank you! And it isnt even finished yet... Hopefully ill get the rest of the green stuffing done tomorrow and then undercoat it the day after.

And to think, this is my first attemt to do something besides gap filling with green stuff... And ive learnt some very important lesson, always keep stuff wet! Its a major pain in the lower back of the power armour (if you get my drift) when it sticks to your hand or something and you have to start all over again...

Starks333
12-12-2006, 12:44 PM
wet tools is key...also go for smoothness, because GS isnt the nicest stuff to sand down

looking good

Starks

Drackonis
21-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Here\'s another WiP pic. Modelling is almost complete, just gotta add some studs, smooth some stuff out and finish basing it and it will be ready for undercoating and painting, which I will hopefully be able to do fairly soon!

Anywho, here we go:
http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/HH_Conv_P3.JPG

Indra
21-12-2006, 05:47 AM
Excellent mate.

Nuff said.

Excellent.

Indra

Mycosynth
21-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Very nice! Good use of GS as well.

Scolar
21-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Looks like a cool model. You need to do it justice by adding a cool base though. Sand or flock wont do! :P

Pyrofoo
21-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Awesome! but I agree, you do need to do a really cool base to make it look even better. Peace!B)

Drackonis
22-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks yall!

You cant really see it in the photo but ive started to do something with the base. At the back of the base its going to look like a floor type of thing and at the front ill whack in some rubble (AKA small stones). Ill have the rubble highest at the front with it slopping backwards to the floor, my aim is to make it look like the floor has been covered up by the rubble and debris of battle.

Here\'s sorta what I want to do:

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/HH_Base.JPG

I just hope it actually works...

Does anyone know of a good way to make small spikes/studs without using plastic rod? Because im kinda low on the plastic rod department... Ive tried with GS but it doesnt really work (it keeps on coming off). So if anyone knows a way to do it using house hold stuff it would really help...

Thank,

Drackonis.

The Banished Ranger
22-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Use toothpicks.

Drackonis
22-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Good idea, but unfortunatly they are a tad too big, I need something a bit smaller. I will continue the search, and failing that start painting without the studs.

Drackonis
23-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Ooo, double post!

Anywho, here\'s my (I hope) finished converstion. Ive given up on the whole stud scene (mainly because I want to start painting it), hopefully finished the base (complete with SM helmet) and taken the final pictures!

And here it is:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4732/hhcfinalsmallba3.jpg

I actually did the face plate by using small bits of plastic cut to the right shape and then covering that with GS and then cutting into the GS. It doesnt look like much at the moment but when its painted it should look quite a bit better.

Ill also include a link (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hhcfinalaj3.jpg) to a larger picture when I submit it to the HH comp.

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2006/12/23 02:21

Mycosynth
23-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Looking good! I like it alot. Good work on the base as well, you did well on it.

Drackonis
23-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks man, I just wacked the link to the bigger picture on there as well, bigger is better after all!

Now, the undercoat! Unless you can think of something I need to add before hand...?

Mycosynth
23-12-2006, 01:42 AM
Nope looks good to me. Cant wait to see it painted.

Solinus
23-12-2006, 01:53 AM
This looks sweet as cheese mate...nice one, might try it sometime actually :D although the Green stuff gods never really favoured me :P

Drackonis
23-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Cool, ill get to undercoating right away.

But before I do ill show you all my custom Space Marine chapter\'s colour scheme!

These models arnt finished yet, ive gotta clean the white up and stuff, but I reckon they still look pretty cool. The only problem is that they take ages to paint, all that cursed blending, but the overall effect is worth it I reckon.

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/Sons_Of_Terra.JPG

After ive finished painting up the Sons of Horus model ill finish off the squad of Sons of Terra (to be finalized name of my chapter) and post her up!

EDIT:

Disaster! After undercoating my conversion I accidently dropped it, braking the bolter wielding arm from the body and snapping the spike on that arms elbow off. And to make matters worse I couldnt find the missing spike! Oh woe. AND I dont have any more spikes...

The only way to salvage this that I can see is to make it look like the spike is missing on purpose, as if it has been blown off or something, destroyed in combat.

Ah well, such are the vagaries of fate... At least it will make it easier to paint with the bolter arm off! Gotta look on the bright side.

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2006/12/23 05:48

Indra
23-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Looking good mate. A few inks to shade and a simple highlight and he\'ll look fantastic.

:)

Good work mate, can\'t wait to see more.

PS. Shame about the \'accident\'...

:(

I drop mini\'s all the time, though thankfully not a big one yet...

Solinus
23-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Btw nice drawing!

Drackonis
23-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks bro. Ill do another better one once ive finished my conversion... Mabye try doing it using manga pens for shading...

And im also dropping models quite a bit, the problem with this time was that I dropped it onto cement outside. And the cement is the kind with lots of little stones stuck in it, making it REALLY hard to find a small 5mm long spike.

Solinus
23-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Ugh , not good! But superglue is your friend :D i\'ve dropped models before...after it took me half a bloody hour to change a metal palsma pistol into a plastic bolt pistol on my runepriest :@:dry:

Mycosynth
23-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Ya i droped one of my chaos terminators once. Wasnt fun gluing that back together. O ya! Then there was the time my dog chewed up a marine in to several peices. Legs torn in half. Several holes in the body, arms chewed off, ect ect. Managed to get him back together though and now he looks like he went 10 rounds with a blood thirster:)

Pyrofoo
23-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I decided to call him half eaten greg (since I finished the painting up for you) and why haven\'t you posted he pics of him yet? It\'s really funny! And remember how I dropped your Hive Tyrant and broke off his arm. Shane spazzed at that for some reason even though he desn\'t play warhammer. Peace!B)

Skrall
23-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Nice work dude,

Hawke

Drackonis
02-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Ok, here\'s a WiP of my Sons of Horus marine. The picture actually says he is part of an/the Abakhol Warrior Squad, if you wanted to know.

Anyway, he\'s still got a lot of work to do. Blending the armour properly, finishing off the gold highlights, finishing the shoulder pads, attaching and finishing right arm, finishing the base and doing some power sword type effects on his sword.

I figure that the comps over now so I can get advice, any tips/crit?

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/HH_Conv_Paint-7812c5df988a33de87368382de73e166.JPG

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/01/02 11:08

DarthXander
02-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Woah!

That is really good! What sword is that? I want one for my Librarian!

Drackonis
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Thats a sword from the Fantasy Chaos Warrior regiment, you might be able to get one from Battlewagon Bits, or if you know someone who collects Fantasy Chaos im sure they would have a spare. You get lots of extras.

I got the gloves from the Chaos Warrior box as well.

Knight of ne
02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
i love that marine, congrats.

Drackonis
07-01-2007, 06:15 AM
And here\'s the second painting WiP pic: Both arms are now glued one, the metallic gold is pretty much complete, left hand spike needs to be redone a bit at the base so it looks better, yellow symbols need to be painted onto shoulder pads (any ideas for making this easy?), base needs to be finished and sword needs to be finished.

Im trying to get a whole power sword looking paint job going and ive tried it a few times but I cant get it to look right, ill probably start again using red and orange so that it matches the gloves and that...

EDIT: Ok, upload to Astro failed for some reason. So here\'s the picture again from ImageShack!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9886/hhconvpaint2lm9.jpg

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/01/07 07:17

Skrall
07-01-2007, 08:02 AM
very nice, very nice indeed

Hawke

Hephesto
07-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Very nice job Drackonis, and I thought the conversion was already looking great. That helmet/mask looks so great!

Drackonis
20-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey fellas, I just (hopefully) finished painting the final details of my conversion! But first, a bit of info about how I did the last few bits; after messing around with power weapon effects for a while I decided to make them out of wire! So I went and rolled a bit of wire around an appropriate brush\'s handle, painted it black and slowly layered up to light blue, I then gloss coated it. It also isnt actually glued onto the sword, its just rested there, for easy removal.

After that I did the shoulder icons, to do that I decided to use a template, so I made one using Word (I would have preffered to do it using AutoCAD, but I didnt have it installed...). If anyone wants some information on how to make your own shoulder pad template\'s just ask and ill make a guide on it.

Anyway, I used the templates to get the basic icon layout and effect and then tidied it up using more conventional methods, it seems to have worked fine, and it was much easier and neater than doing it all by hand; circles are hard...

One regret is that I should have done the icons in black first... But who knows, I might do it yet!

I also did more work on the base, finished painting it up and painted the Space Marine head on the base as well.

And without further ado, here it is:

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/HH_Abakhol_Final.JPG

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/01/20 09:47

Scolar
20-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I like what you\'ve done there Drak, the new sword design makes the model really stand out. It\'s not something I have seen before and I really like that coil of energy around it the sword

Drackonis
25-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Hey people, im thinking of shaking of the mantle of the zealous Black Templars and taking up the mantle of an unspecified army based around the Australian camo style and desert warfare, themed army, woohoo!

Which is where you come in, any ideas for an army to use? Mabye ill take up Guard, Forge World style... Guard would probably be the most appropriate. But mabye something else, camo\'d Eldar perhaps...

Any ideas are most welcome!

And here\'s some pics:

The pattern:
http://www.kamouflage.net/camouflage/graphics/samples/00001.jpg

Excuse to collect Death Korps?
http://www.kamouflage.net/photos/00001_04.jpg

Oh! And I dont really like the Tallern models from FW, not really the desert fighters im looking for.

Scolar
25-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Well the pics aren\'t working for me :S

Camo marines look really good, I have seen some called the \'Smiley Legion\' on CMON and that is a dark brown camo style. Looks ace

Drackonis
06-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Ok people, here\'s my newest project; repainting my Black Templars! No more simple black with highlighting for me, oh no! Now everything is different shades of dark gray with black only in the deepest shadows.

What else is new? Well, im going for a much more feiry approach, as you can see in that handle and the shoulder pad details. Also, the metal is going to be a lot brighter, and the parchment will be whiter and brighter as well.

This is still WiP, and as such im still working on it. Ive got quite a bit to do, im going to repaint (again) the front scroll thingo, so I can have another go at the text, and other decorations for it, and ive got to paint the power pack, the chest and finish painting the legs and that.

Ave also included a picture of a bit of my Landspeeder, which is also receiving a new paint job, which I think is much better, but ill have to wait and see how it turns out when the whole model is finshed off to find out if it works.

Anyway, crit/comments/ideas/anything?

EDIT: Ooops, forgot to put the picture in...

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/6073/wipchapspeedervp7.jpg (http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wipchapspeedervp7.jpg)

EDIT AGAIN: Made it so you can click on the picture to get a larger sized one... I hope.

And here\'s a (slightly out of focus) picture of the Chaplain before the repainting started, taken from the Gallery.

EDIT: Oops, made it a link...

http://www.astronomican.com/images/zoom/SPACEMARINES/viewsize/chaplain_022.jpg

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/02/06 05:32

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/02/06 05:34

Indra
06-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Looking good there Drack, although I have to say that the White cross on the shoulder pad really lets the mini down (I\'m not being negative here- trust me). The wole mini is looking fantastic, but that white cross just doesn\'t seem up to the level of the rest of the paint work, which I thik is absolutely fantastic.

Hope thie crit helps.

Indra

(PS like the sneaky look at the land speeder... like a sneak peek, and I want to see more....)

:)

Drackonis
06-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I know about the cross... Its really not that good. I think ill probably just make the shoulder pad black again.. Mabye with some kind of border?

I dunno, ill keep on posting.

And thats all ive done of the \'Speeder so far, but the rest should follow quickly, the method im using doesnt take very long at all and look quite effective from a distance.

Drackonis
16-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Ok, another update. Been working on the Chaplain a little, done some more on the tabard/scroll at the front, made that offending shoulder pad white and did some other minor stuff. Ive always started to redo a Neophyte, so far ive done the face, the chest armour, the front most leg and mabye the hair (im not sure, ill probably do some more on it). And ive done some more stuff on the \'Speeder, nothing major though, so I didnt take a picture.

And here they are:

EDIT: Im having trouble with ImageShack... Stay tuned

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/02/16 13:07

Ocelot
16-02-2007, 11:57 AM
good work! keep it up :)

Drackonis
16-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Ok, ImageShack officially sucks. It wouldnt work for some reason... Ah well.

I found another image host!

And here\'s the pic!

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t224751_WiPChapNeo.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i224751_WiPChapNeo.jpg)

EDIT: Hm, ill try and find a better host...

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/02/16 13:20

Scolar
16-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Looking good Drak! I really like the great metal skull on his kneepad

Hephesto
16-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Seriously impressive work on the chaplain.

I\'m not that big a fan of the black templar colourscheme, but your great detailing really makes that black armour stand out!

Drackonis
16-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks. Heh, some of the text on the Chaplain\'s tabard-scroll arnt the best because I was accidently painting them with the wrong brush...

Ive got two fine detail brushes, one thats good and one thats constantly coming apart tip-wise, and I was using the bad one and wondering why it wasnt working properly... I worked it out eventually though!

Ill try and get some better pics, the difference between the models and the pics is really quite big, and although im getting better at taking the pics they\'re still no comparison to the real thing, unfortunatly. Ill try and get my image editing skills up so that I can make the colour better, or get a friend to do it for me... Like in that tutorial Starts linked too in the knowledge thread.

EDIT @Hephesto: I know what you mean, its rather boring, thats why im repainting! Im going to try and give each model lots of detail, and im painting the armour differently, you cant see it in the pictures, but the armour is actually different shades of grey! When I get to painting the Crusader\'s ill really paint up their tabards, with the Templar cross and all that, and have lots of nice white bits for contrast as well as the usual detailing.

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/02/16 13:36

Pyrofoo
16-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Everything looks great dude. keep up the good work! Peace! B)

Drackonis
11-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Ok people, im slowly but surely painting my guys to completion.

The Chaplain is pretty much finished, just some very minor touch ups to go.

And the Neophyte is almost done, just gotta do the boots and gauntlets!

Then ill work on my landspeeder. Then the \'speeder\'s crew, then the rest of the Neophytes.

Anyway, here they are:

EDIT: Damn, need to find a different host

Wait for it...

Bam!

Finished Chaplain:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7784/chaplainte3.jpg

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/03/11 13:47

Drackonis
11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
WiP Neophyte, almost done:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8413/wipneoll7.jpg

So what do you think of them, both the Chaplain and the Neophyte?

Comments, crit, suggestions?

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/03/11 13:51

Solinus
11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Looks pretty cool, gonna do the face lighter or leave him dark skinned?

~Nik

Drackonis
11-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Ill probly leave him dark skinned, im thinking I might do them all dark skinned, fits in with the black armour and usually you see models with a fairer complexion, so it\'ll be different. And it can be easier to paint as well.

Seen the Chaplain on the page back from this one?

Solinus
11-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh wow, awesome! I don\'t like the Crozius though, it looks awful, highlight it with lots of silver + gold... please!!

~Nik

Drackonis
11-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Hmm, I see what you mean. It would look much better being a whitish sort of silver, so it matches the shoulder pad and balances it out.

And are we talking about the head or the handle or both? Because I quite like my handle, all fiery.

But ill get right on changing the head.

Solinus
11-03-2007, 02:48 PM
nono the handle is fine, I think you just inked it far too much? (he head) so do it black, then paint it gold and lightly chestnut ink it, then highlight it with a mix of gold + silver :)

~Nik

Scolar
11-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I like the snazzy script on the chaplain, overall a good start to a repainted army!

Drackonis
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the comments, ill get to repainting that Crozius right away!

Drackonis
14-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Ok, repainted the Crozius! Now its white! With silver highlights. What do you think? Any better?

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i336907_ChapWhite.jpg

Its certainly different... Never seen a white one before...

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/03/14 14:04

Hephesto
14-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Looking good Dracoknis, I like it a loot better than the first gold version!

Indra
14-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Looking nice there Drack. Quite like the contrast, makes him look a lot more cold and psycho. Funny how little details make you think things like that.

Indra

Captain Castus
14-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice! You wouldn\'t want ot argue with him!! :)

CC.

Solinus
14-03-2007, 07:07 PM
No image? :blink:

A broken link perhaps?

~Nik

Drackonis
14-03-2007, 10:51 PM
The image is there, one page back. If you cant see it try going to...

Here (http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i336907_ChapWhite.jpg)

And thanks for the comments people, does he need anything else?

Starks333
15-03-2007, 12:54 AM
he looks good! only thing i can see might be to add more shading to the silver

Starks

Dictator
15-03-2007, 12:59 AM
It looks superb. I am curious though, on his back, is there a temple cross in that red or not?
-Dictator

Drackonis
15-03-2007, 12:17 PM
@Starks

Ill see what I can do! I could probably start the silver highlights with a darker colour and then work them up to mighril... Hmmm...

@Dictator

Why yes, it is! It was kind of a welcome accident actually. It was a white bit first, with a cross on it, I decided I didnt like it that much so I put some red over it, my idea being to build it up so you couldnt see the cross. But I liked the look of the cross showing through so I left it like that! Its kind of a unique effect and looks a lot better in person, as does the rest of the model... Curse my bad camera...

2 Megapixels really dont cut it.

Drackonis
15-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Ok! Im slowly but surely painting my models and slowly but surely getting them finished!

So here is my...

Completed Neophyte!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/CompNeo.jpg (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/CompNeo.jpg)

And...

The top of my landspeeder!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/SpeederTop.jpg (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/SpeederTop.jpg)

The next step is to paint the bottom of my \'speeder. I reckon ill make all the little raised bits metal and have the black in the recesses. Then ill do the thrusters at the back, then the flight seat console doodad then finally the pilots!

Comments? Crit?

Dictator
15-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Looking really good. It makes me wish they had plastic scouts though. But anyways, did his pupils not show up right in the picture? Because it does not appear he has them yet. If so, add them. haha
-Dictator

Drackonis
15-04-2007, 08:26 AM
A. They DO have plastic scouts, they\'ve been out for ages...

B. No he doesnt have any pupils, for two reasons:

1. Its hard to get both pupils the same size.
2. Having no pupils gives him a more driven kind of look... Which doesnt really show up in the photos.

But ill try adding in pupils and see how they look!

And I forgot about touching some little things up before taking the photo.. So ive gotta go over the model and tidy up anything that needs it.. Might redo the sword as well, try and get some metalic blending happening.

And I think ill redo the light on the landspeeder.

Solinus
15-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow...pretty cool dude :D

Ugh I hate putting landspeeders together >_< I guess you do too :)

~Nik

Drackonis
15-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Heh, yeah. Ive got it all sort of together.. Just nothing is glued yet, but it needed a lot of sanding/cutting to make it all fit together properly.. Damn Landspeeders!

Drackonis
15-05-2007, 02:52 AM
And now for something completely different,

Ive been working on background images for websites ive gotta make for Uni, so I figured id post them up and see what people think! They\'re all-in-one background images, and contain all the link text and that, which makes it easy to make it look good.

Anyway, here they are:

Team Project, its a website for a Short Film Festival.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/Layout-1.gif (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/Layout-1.gif)

Solo Project, have to make an online CV (kinda like a resume for those who dont know). Oh, and thats my name at the top, in case you dont realise!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/Layout.gif (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/Layout.gif)

As usual, you can click on the image to get the full-sized version, which is 600x800.

C&C?

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/09/29 07:01

Drackonis
15-05-2007, 04:03 AM
And, I just got me a nice shiny new Black Templars squad, which im going to fully convert, ive been working on one model for a few hours now, and ill show you all the fruits of my labour. By first, some background!

Im sure you\'ve all seen the classic \"hero hits ground\" pose, where they come flying out of the air and land kneeling with one hand in the air and one hand in a fist, which is resting on the ground? Well, when I was cleaning up a power fist it suddenly came to me! Bam! Space Marine kneeling, power fist resting on the ground, bolt pistol in the air! Brilliant!

And so, with much effort, blood, and sweat, I bring you the first version! Doing the legs was a real pain, and they\'re still not finished, but you get the idea.

I think I might do up a guide on how I paint my Black Templars based around this guy, and because I plan on converting my entire squad ill have plenty of opportunity to do up converstion guides!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/V1.jpg

C&C welcome. As well as any ideas for more conversions. I want to make a SM holding a chainsword with two hands...

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/05/15 05:06

Captain Castus
15-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Nice idea! Like it!

Now drill out the gun barrel... :)

CC

Drackonis
15-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Haha! Thanks, ill drill out the barrel once ive got the legs sorted out... Its rediculously difficult to position them properly. I probably should have thought about which legs to use instead of selecting some at random... Ah well.

Indra
15-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Great work mate. For kneeling look up Vash\'s tutorial called \'Kneel Before me Marine!\' it\'s really excellent.

here\'s the link (http://www.astronomican.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=241&Item id=60) in case you can\'t be buggered to look!

Indra

Drackonis
15-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Heh, yeah, ive looked at it, and its pretty good. Ill have to ask him if he had the same problem with positioning. The main thing is bending the wire so its in the correct shape, its very fidly.

Any comments on the website backgrounds?

Drackonis
29-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Ok! I finally put together my kneeling marine, and I think its looking quite nice. Its glued, undercoated and ready for painting!

Now, ive made up a bit of a mount with a crater type thing in it which the power fist is resting in, im going to paint that all blackened, as if the power fist has gone off and blown a whole.

He can also be the squads \"leader\" in an unoffical postion, because Black Templar squads dont actually get sergeants or anything.

And, I had to play around with the lighting so you can actually make out details, which is why the colour is pretty weird and the picture looks like its bad quality. Damn black!

Future pictures shouldnt have any such problems.

Anyway, here it is:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/V2.jpg (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/V2.jpg)
Click for a bigger picture

Comments, crit? And, any painting ideas?

Also, ill put up my other Black Templar for comments and crit:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/InitiateComp.png (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/InitiateComp.png)
Click for a bigger picture

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2007/09/29 07:00

LoganVivisected
29-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Those are nice looking Drackonis...I see people go waaaaay too overboard with highlighting black armour but it looks like you have a very nice balance. Its not over powering in the least bit so the armour still looks black, not grey with black stains haha.

Would realy like to see the \"squad leader\" finished, he has potential to become a really exsquisit show peice for the army. I want to see how the impact of the fist turns out.

Drackonis
29-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks, if you could see the models in person you would actually see that they arnt painted black! (shock, horror!). They\'re actually a dark grey, which still looks like its black, but with more depth and shading possibilities.

If your painting lots of black, dont. Paint dark grey.

LoganVivisected
29-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Ah, well I guess I should change my word to \"flat\" or \"overdone\". Point being they still look much better than what is typically seen by me. How many points do you have done so far?

Indra
29-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Drack thats good looking work there mate! I wanted to say to you before you glued the kneeler (DANG ITS TOO LATE NOW!!) that maybe you should get a bit of slate for him to be landingon so that his back foot isnt off the base, to do two things- give the model more hight and to give h im a cooler base to stand (or kneel) on.

Otherwise thats some crisp templar work on the initiate. The white robes look good with the bluey tome rather than the usual brown/bone tones.

Good stuff.

Indra

Skrall
29-09-2007, 02:07 PM
lookin good drackonis,

not sure about crouching fist, hidden templar though,

Hawke

Drackonis
30-09-2007, 08:36 AM
@Logan, I know what you mean, my Templar were like that at first, but then I decided to redo them like they are now. Now, about points... Ive got around 500, because I really cant afford anymore at the moment...

@Indra, aye, that woulda looked better, but ive got no slate and didnt really want to go out looking for any. Hopefully it wont suffer too much because of it. And I prefer the blue tone to the brown one too, makes the tabard look brighter.

@Hawke, thanks, and the proof will be in the painting when it comes to the kneeling marine im thinking. I think a lot is going to depend on how well I manage to do the burnt ground. And ill try out some freehand on the banner.

Also, I want to convert most of my Templar models. So if anyone has any ideas, shoot!

Drackonis
15-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey folks! I finally started painting my kneeling Templar, so here he is:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/FistPaintWiP1.jpg (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/FistPaintWiP1.jpg)
Click for a bigger picture.

Yes, that's pink. But dont worry, its on its way to becoming a nice manly red.

In other news, the black armour is mostly done, just some touch ups here and there.

I still have to finish the metal.

The banner's pretty much done except for some final highlighting and some pretty pictures.

I still have to finish most of the white armour, im thinking about doing a similar approach to banner and seeing how it turns out, you can see my experiments on the P.fist there.

And then there's the small detals! Im hoping some nice glowing eyes will really set the model off nicely.

And finally, the base. Brown, like the others. But with a blackened burnt look where the P.fist is at.

Also, it brakes off the base with worrying ease (after a fall), so when I see a bit of slate ill grab it and move him over to bigger and better things.

And that about covers it up, comments and crit are always appreciated.

Drackonis
19-01-2008, 10:58 AM
And, here's what ive done since then:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/FistPaintWiP2.jpg (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/FistPaintWiP2.jpg)

So, its no longer pink, ive decided I like the blue-white look for the chest plate and power fist and the red's highlighting is mostly done.

I also painted the base, just to see how it all works together. Its just a base coat though, so still a lot more to do on it.

Anyway, comments and crit are always welcome.

Aun O Vader
19-01-2008, 02:55 PM
it looks astounding as always. If I had one piece of crit then that would be that the chest plate looks too blue.

But otherwise it's a thing of beauty.

Drackonis
23-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Aun! The chestplate has now been lightened:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/FistPaintWiP3.jpg (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/FistPaintWiP3.jpg)

Ive also done the banner's emblem thingo.

Done the eyes too, although you cant make it out in this 2MP camera photo.

Ive also done most of the metal.

Ill have to get some gold paint so I can finish some stuff off.

Still got the bags around the back to do (cant see them from the photos).

Then ive got to touch some stuff up, maybe add more to the banner.

And finally the base needs to be done well!

Post edited by: Drackonis, at: 2008/01/23 05:15

Drackonis
16-11-2008, 03:30 AM
So, im on my holidays now and I think its about time I picked up the ol' brush again!

Ive got an idea for a fantastic new colour scheme for my SMs, combining my Black Templar's and my Son's of Terra colour schemes into a fantastic whole (which should allow me to use my already painted BTs and SoTs in a combined army).

Here it is:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/spacemarine.jpg

And I'd also like to open the terminator I painted for the free mini comp to some constructive criticism:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/termie2.jpg?t=1226809676 (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/Drackonis/termie-1.jpg?t=1226809757)

Any comments and criticism are welcome!

Captain Castus
16-11-2008, 08:48 AM
I can't see the top pics... They don't seem to work for me!

I can see yout Termie though... And it still looks great! You were only just pipped to the prize in the Comp by Heph... It was very close... Better luck next time! ;)

CC

Drackonis
16-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Weird, the image code's there, but the pictures arent working! Ill see if I can get them to show up...

Maybe with my new and improved colour scheme ill stand a better chance in comps. The blue will all be blender, and I want to experiment with NMM.

EDIT: Fixed one of the pictures, but ive lost the one without a tabard.