PDA

View Full Version : Scale help

Ocelot
10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone. I am looking at buying real world tank kits for 40K armies just to paint for fun. Now, would 1:48 look too big against a Marine or a Guardsman?
I think the tanks GW made don\'t look as good as the real thing so that\'s why I\'m asking :)

If anyone knows if a large tank such as the PAGET LEOPARD IIA 5 would look right in the grim darkness of the far future scale wise?

Thanks
Ocelot.

+++just adding ? to the topic ;)

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/12/14 20:00

Aun O Vader
10-12-2006, 10:29 AM
if you consider on the models they work to about 1\" to about 4-5\' then that would suggest a scale of 1:48 or 1:60 So I don\'t think they would look too out of place seeing as the tanks are actuallly not to true scale with the men because the whole range emphasises the men over anything else (if you consider a warrior APC is closer to 12\' at the troop ramp but a rhino is only just taller than a marine).

TargetOnMyBack
10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
In my opinion, small 1/35 kits or large 1/48 would be the size to work with. The best thing is to have a couple of ordinary figures from the army you want to work with handy so you can check scale as you go - hatches the right size, etc. The problem with using real world kits is that they look exactly like what they look like, unless you do a lot of conversion. Are you going to just paint a Leopard in Blood Angel colours, or are you going to build some 40K universe vehicle that we haven\'t seen before, using 21st century bits?
Here are some suggestions:
- go for it - just give the Space Marines a Leopard. Don\'t expect the guys at the GW shop to let you play it on their tables though.
- use a real world model, but pick something really obscure, like a French WW2 tank, or an Italian WW1 scout car.
- use the chassis of a real model, but add 40K wheels/tracks/weapons/armour plating, and keep the bits left over for additions to other models, or scrapheap scenery.
The last is my favourite. It\'s a good way to recycle old tank models that are no longer on display due to breakage or space issues.
My BattleBarge is made from a 1/35 Landing Craft with Rhino and Landraider bits - it\'s in the Gallery, under orks. (Shameless plug)

Post edited by: targetonmyback, at: 2006/12/10 11:33

Ocelot
10-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks AunO and Target for the help :)

I will be bidding on a tank soon and shall be painting it as an Imperial Guard tank probably with a tank commander sticking his head out the top.

I don\'t plan on using this in GW event but if I want to make an armoured company I will do something about it.

I will keep you posted and hopefully it all works out!

Renegade17
09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
i dont know what forum to right this in but what are the dimensions for a normal model land raider that you can pick up for around ?35 or however much it is in america so can someone tell me so i know if its worth buying