PDA

View Full Version : Need to choose a fantasy army!

Corvus
05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Well, I\'m about to start playing WFB for the first time since the last edition finished (the one with so many magic cards lol) and I need help choosing an army ;) - I always wanted to do high elves because I fell in love with the story of Aenarion from the first time I read it lol...

But I was tempted to do a chaotic force too... mabye Khornate?

Anybody have any hints/suggestions? I\'m pretty much starting from scratch in this edition :lol:

Gaius Julius
05-04-2006, 02:31 PM
erm well if i were you i would go with wood elves if you want to go elves, since high elves and dark elves are being updated some time in the future. However, Chaos are a very good idea, because i dont see them being updated for a while. The new chaos warrior models are absolutely amazing, and reason alone to collect them! Simply paint \'em all red and you\'ve got a khornate force!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Horus
05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
if you are going to do a chaos force i would sugest beastmen as the have more options than mortals in most situations and the raider rule is just wikid

Gaius Julius
05-04-2006, 04:44 PM
or you could do half and half. Have mostly mortals and some beastmen allies, or vice versa.

Indra
06-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Beasts of chaos and hordes of chaos can be combined. Beast men are really good in WHFB though, just look at the rules for Raiders in thier army book. They move as skirnmishers and still get 2 rank bonuses!

The bonus of combining with hordes of chaos? Chaos Warriors. Nice.

Corvus
07-04-2006, 04:12 AM
I\'m tempted, but my main reason for choosing an army really wouldn\'t be the armies ability to win... ;)

Indra
07-04-2006, 04:25 AM
Even if thats the case, the Beasts of Chaos army looks really nice. THe plastic kits are great.

But its all your choice of course.

Dark Elves are nice too. The New cold one riders are cool.

Gaius Julius
07-04-2006, 04:58 AM
do dark elves have new cold one riders? i thought that was just lizardmen?

torn
10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
id picks beasts of chaos - i dont play fantasy battle as i prefer smaller games, 40k is the biggest ill go - but i made a beast of chaos blood bowl team with the new models that are really good.

dwarves would be cool for me as well because you simply dont get them in 40k and it would be a change. I also like the brettonian, the whole knightly order thing is like a proper medievil army (unlike the empire which is more reminiscent of a tudor force)

Corvus
10-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Right, finally made a decision... High Elves it is! :)

Back to my first thought of an army from the previous edition lol.. It\'s the story of the first Phoenix King, Aenarion that does it for me! :laugh:

saustin
14-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi, I was thinking about collecting ogres just wondering if anyone collects or has played against them?

Raziel
14-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Dark elves are a great army, they have all the plus points of the elves, and elite fast force that can still pack a punch. Dark elves are a very versatile force, if you want to have any type of force, wether that be offensive or defensive or even balanced, the dark elf list can be made into whatever suits your type of play.

Our magic can be very tatical, and has some very nasty spells such as black horror,place an ordance template over a unti roll over the units strength and the character will take a wound with no armour save, watch your players face as his unit gets sucked up :laugh: We do have disadvantages we are elves so we are very frail, but we make up for it with high initiative and high weapon skill. And even if you do get bored of a traditonal dark elf army you could still add a twist by making a cult of slaanesh army, a mixture of dark elf and chaos forces.B)

I could go on but i will be typing all day, but hopefully this has persuaded you in the direction of the dark elves, they are a really good race and you will never get tired of them, because there is so much you can do with them, if you still need persuading however i will be back :) And if you like the story of Anarion, who better to serve than his son Malekith, who is an exellent character, the true heir of anarion, sorry my dark elf pride is kicking in, if you do become a high elf then you will have me hunting you down:angry:
Hope this helps.

Post edited by: Raziel, at: 2006/04/14 02:55

NathanS
14-04-2006, 03:14 AM
I was personally thinking of playing an ogre army

The Death
14-04-2006, 03:56 AM
Raziel wrote:

if you do become a high elf then you will have me hunting you down:angry:
Hope this helps.

So will I be hunting him down for betraying the dwarfs pride and honour. And also for trying to find peace in an angry dwarf who is too raged to listen to the high elf king. Dark elves are better, but they are still elves and we dwarfs will kill both of these evil \'creatures\'

I\'d pick dwarfs if I were you.

Indra
14-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Dark Elves are nice. Chariots are really cool for the Dark Eldar, and thier magical ability is second to none. Tzeentch aint as good IMO.

Corvus
15-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Indeed I have chosen the High Elves of Ulthuan, and I will welcome any challenges... Especially those from my fallen Kin, and the traitorous dwarven kind!

Gaius Julius
15-04-2006, 03:17 AM
my mate plays ogres, and they certainly pack a punch! although he is not a very good tactician so loses a lot against my wood elves lol!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Indra
15-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Yeah, ogres can really rock, but its like using a great weapon in WHFB. You really need to time things right to maximise thier effectiveness or they just get romped all over.

The Death
15-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Corvus wrote:

Indeed I have chosen the High Elves of Ulthuan, and I will welcome any challenges... Especially those from my fallen Kin, and the traitorous dwarven kind!

Your high king during the war of vengence tried to use deplomacy to stop a fight between a dwarf and himself. My ancestors tried to make peace with you with two embassadors, but you shaved their beards off, that was an act of war to us Dwarfs, there was no turning back once your ancestors agangered a Dwarf. You were the treacherous ones (but then again you could say it was the dark elves fault because they were the ones who attacked us Dwarfs in the first place ):angry:

Corvus
17-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Frustrating, because it certainly was our dark, fallen kin.

besides... I\'m going to build up an Empire army too, so mabye we can ally? ;)

Corvus
17-04-2006, 10:52 PM
TOTAL TURN AROUND!!!

Now I\'m doing an Empire army... nuts to the pointy-eared few

Indra
18-04-2006, 12:00 AM
LOL you are so fickle you could be an elf for real!!!

The Death
23-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I think you sees the elves as a bunch of dress wearing sissies hiding behind magic (at least dwarfs hide behind something that is solid and round and big......rather than lights and \'special effects\')

Empire is a quite good balanced force but no match in shooting for dwarfs (I\'ve had an empire guy say empire handgunners are better than dwarf ones:unsure: I blanked him by saying dwarfs gave the Empire the designs.

NathanS
23-04-2006, 06:05 PM
The Death wrote:

I think you sees the elves as a bunch of dress wearing sissies hiding behind magic (at least dwarfs hide behind something that is solid and round and big......rather than lights and \'special effects\')

Empire is a quite good balanced force but no match in shooting for dwarfs (I\'ve had an empire guy say empire handgunners are better than dwarf ones:unsure: I blanked him by saying dwarfs gave the Empire the designs.

What is that they hide behind beer guts.

Indra
23-04-2006, 07:57 PM
What is that they hide behind beer guts.

Dont we all...

Teslatrooper
13-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Well, back on topic I have Orcs!! and High Elves!!. Orcs believe it or not, with animosity tests and everything are the most all around Fanatsy army you can get hehehehe...(you name it, speed, magic, numbers, close combat, toughness and strength) their cost is low so on a 2000-3000 point army you will outnumber your enemy large!! hehe!!

But if you are looking for finesse, the High Elves is the best, they are a challenge and more of an army for surgical strikes. I hope this helps.

Oh one more thing, you should also consider the Tomb Kings and Lizardmen. They are unique armies and fun to play too.
:)

Indra
14-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Yeah orcs are fun and flexble when they coooperate.

Kiefer13
26-07-2006, 04:02 AM
and total hell when they don\'t.

DarthXander
26-07-2006, 04:03 AM
I despite being anti fantasy (it always seemed far too complicated for me) am now considering ordering the Battle for Skull Pass, you get so much in it!!!!

Indra
26-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Yeah. Its nice to see GW returning to the older days of providing a lot of minis for your money, like back in 2nd edition. It really makes it a lot more worthwhile and also, new players get two armies to start with or one if they share with a mate.

I\'m pleased to see this thinking return.