01-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I want to know hwo you cna get a good gold effect while layering

Basicly thw way to make gold look it best

so sparks come here and show us your painting tip spleaner!:P :woohoo:

+++just added the \"?\" icon to the topic

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/12/08 15:26

Ocelot
01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Easiest way is to probly get a darker gold, paint that on. Then ink it with either flesh wash or brown ink to get shading and depth, then use a lighter gold for highlight. It is quick and looks good for rank and file troopers.

Aun O Vader
01-12-2006, 10:12 PM
if you want a really bright gold, i find a really thin highlight of mithril silver on sharp edges brings out the colour really well.

Dyp
01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
ok

well tomrow ill go set some brown in, chestnut and a darker golden:)

Dyp
01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
AunO Vader wrote:

if you want a really bright gold, i find a really thin highlight of mithril silver on sharp edges brings out the colour really well.

a dont want it bright i just want a clour, but a bit darker, bbecause my base looking its in a place where the skys grey with smoke

fridge61
02-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds almost like a brass-like gold to me...

But go for it Dyp! And remember to take pics when you\'re done.

Starks333
03-12-2006, 01:14 AM
well if you want a nice solid gold(like the one seen on my daemon prince-->that is not reflections on the gold but actual paint)

then heres what i did:

brazen brass
then mixed purple ink and chesnut ink together, thinned down a lot(so i dont get the glossy shiny effect) and i shaded 3/4 of the brass

i then mixed vallejo smoke glaze(a darker chesnut basicly) with purple ink, and shaded the darkest spots

after that i highlighted the bright spots with shinning gold

and if you want you can use burnished gold to highlight more, and then even mix mithril with gold(only a bit) to brighten it up more

its the inking that makes a difference(due to contrast), make sure its thin and make sure it doesnt pool all in one place or the effect will not be as nice...metal doesnt shine when its not in light

hope that helps

Starks

Dyp
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
sorry, i dont want a brazens won, a shining one, hehe

im asking for the best techines with shining gold, and how i can give it good depth

Starks333
03-12-2006, 11:49 PM
i...just described what you had to do to get a brighter one

Chaplain Orthox
04-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Yeah. It is pretty hard to get a good gold, my golds end up looking flat and bland. The only thing that I have managed to do is to use boltgun metal on the very edges. (very small amounts)

Starks333
04-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Chaplain Orthox wrote:

Yeah. It is pretty hard to get a good gold, my golds end up looking flat and bland. The only thing that I have managed to do is to use boltgun metal on the very edges. (very small amounts)

***not really...i just descirbed one way..another way is to work up from vallejo bronze adding mithril silver i believe

another way is to use tin bitz, then shinning, then burnish then mithril, adding ink washes of green ink and purple ink

you just need to learn the proper ink wash, and then you will be fine

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/12/04 02:33

LifeAfterDeath
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Here is my way of painting gold...
http://space.uwants.com/attachments/2006/09/19/iu_31927390d31bfb6960ce93be3947ad83.jpg
http://space.uwants.com/attachments/2006/09/19/iu_6015f168d5d6f3dadacfdbe210f90a44.jpg
I really like the result of it, and all I did use are:
basecoat with Shining Gold
wash with Chestnut Ink
highlight with Shining Gold
highlight again with Shining Gold mix with Mithril Silver
*optional: highlight again with just Mithril Silver

hope this can help

Dyp
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
thats a very cool army but not what im looking for

i am just do a base coat of bruisher of gold, then go over it with shining gold when washed down with a light chest nut ink, does that sound ok?

LifeAfterDeath
04-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Redmeer Dyp wrote:

i am just do a base coat of bruisher of gold, then go over it with shining gold when washed down with a light chest nut ink, does that sound ok?

will do... but I will say better wash with ink then highlight with shining gold is better.

But anyway, you can try your way first and see you like it or not, if not then try my way...

Good Day

Starks333
04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Redmeer Dyp wrote:

***you have to start with a dark colour(tin bitz, brazen brass) if you arent going brighter than shinning gold otherwise theres no point washing or highlighting at all as it wont show up

the ink washes are to shade the metallics as you cant really shade them otherwise, not just to cover the whole area and tint them(although tinting is also another use)

inks should be extremely transparent on your palette before applying, and when applying cover a small area at a time, and do not allow it to go on blotchy or it will look awful

Starks

Dyp
04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
bur brusher gold is darker then shining and your saying its not?

Starks333
04-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Redmeer Dyp wrote:

bur brusher gold is darker then shining and your saying its not?

what is brusher/bruisher gold? its not a GW paint, and i havent heard of it in Vallejo colours, so what brand?

and when i say dark i mean DARK, like noticeably different than the gold colour, it has to be very noticeable or no one will know you are highlighting or shading

Starks

Aun O Vader
04-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I think he means burnished gold. Dyp, you\'re getting much better at typing so we know what you mean, try and keep it up!B)

Starks333
04-12-2006, 10:26 PM
AunO Vader wrote:

I think he means burnished gold. Dyp, you\'re getting much better at typing so we know what you mean, try and keep it up!B)

well if thats the case hes wrong, burnished is actually brighter..ALOT brighter

but again not enough once dried to obtain a noticeable contrast...if he doesnt want to use brass or tin bitz then the only thing he can do is highlight with mithril silver

+++edit...he wont get enough contrast without the dark shading which is why i suggest the mithril route of LifeAfterDeath as the best route(since he doesnt want to go darker, he kinda has to go brighter or dont highlight/shde what so ever and use flat paint)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/12/05 19:52

Dyp
06-12-2006, 05:17 PM
So ill paint it tin bitz, then shining gold then chest nut ink.

Then what should i trim it with?

Starks333
06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
chesnut alone wont do much because its brown, its not dark enough to show against the tin bitz and the shinning gold, which is why you mix the purple ink with chesnut(or vallejo smoke for even darker)

you dont need to highlight if you use the darker mix...but if you dont want to use the purple ink, then mix shinning gold and mithril to lighten it up

Starks

Dyp
06-12-2006, 05:47 PM
ummmm, i want to GK like a day ago!

Starks333
07-12-2006, 01:59 AM
...ok? not sure what you are getting at