PDA

View Full Version : What Paints?

Minos
04-04-2006, 07:23 AM
I was just curious what kind of paints everyone here uses. I use mostly the GW paints but i also use some basic crafting paints by Americana and Apple Barrel as well as some Testors Model Masters.

Starks333
04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
i only use GW right now, i may eventually get some artist paints, but probably not for awhile

GW paints are great they just need to cover better, and i need to start making the effort to help them cover better!

Starks

Indra
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
GW paints for me, but then, I used them always and I suppose its just an unwillingness to change. after all, I cant go to an art shop and say
\'excuse me, I\'d like some rotting flesh and putrid green please....\'

:dry:

DavicusPrime
04-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I use GW paints for my miniatures... They have the colors I want and I really don\'t want to have to go and find matches in other brands. Plus it doesn\'t distort the features on the models like some of the thicker craft paints. Back in the day I used Ral Partha paints which worked about as well. I don\'t even know if they\'re still on the market.

I use craft paints (I don\'t remember the brand) for terrain. I found colors that aproximate the same colors I use on my bases to do most of the \"dirt\" so things match. And since you use a heck of a lot more on say a hill than you would on a mini, getting good quality stuff in about 4x the quantity as a pot of GW paints for about $1US is a pretty good deal.

-DavicusPrime

Indra
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I\'m a big believer in Spray paints for massive terain areas, but I use big bottles of kids black poster paint to undercoat. When its mixed with PVA its really durable and can do a table really well. Then I spray paint the desired colours on. Took me about an hour to do my old table which was a desert colour., after the table was textured and dried of course.

*A good gaming table will last you forever, so take your time and do it properly first time round!*

Minos
04-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I really like GWs sprays. They go on really clean. Ive never tried the kids paint mixed with PVC. I usually use latex house paint instead though the kids paint/PVC would propably be stronger. Do you have any problems with it cracking or flaking?

DavicusPrime
04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
The PVA would reduce, if not eliminate, flaking and/or cracking.

Paint in essence has three parts: Pigment, Solvent and Adhesive.

For latex and acrylics the solvent is water. PVA also has water as it\'s solvent so they can be mixed without causing any problems. In adding PVA you are increasing the amount of adhesive in the paint solution. And since it\'s the adhesive that holds the pigment to the surface, you should have a better hold in the end product. PVA ia also fairly flexable as adhesives go so cracking isn\'t as likely either.

So in theory, PVA fortified poster paints should be quite durable.

I dodged the whole problem because I used green Felt on my table since it\'s meant to be a multi-purpose game table for more than just wargames.

For the priming stage on large pieces of terrain, I use a $3US can of black Latex house paint then craft paints on top of that. And once that\'s done I hit it with a spray can of satin varnish to protect it. The satin sheen keeps it from being shiney but doesn\'t dull the piece like matte finish typically does.

-DavicusPrime

Corvus
07-04-2006, 05:21 AM
I use only GW paints now, I used to use Vallejo (spelling?) but gave up on those.. and a certain red reaper paint too.. (was a nice bright red finish on top of black in 1 coat! - the stuff of dreams!)