PDA

View Full Version : Starks\' WIPs

Starks333
02-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I figured id start a section for all WIPs instead of adding new threads :)

this is my first attempt at NMM, i think im still just highlighting rather than completely NMMing, i still dont understand horizons yet..one day...maybe...

***edited the pictures, i fixed up the flaw of being too yellow, its now more gold looking, but not quite what i want yet(although this model will not receive any more testing :laugh:)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0383.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0384.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/04/03 01:18

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/12/12 00:56

Indra
02-04-2006, 01:06 PM
I\'m lost. Whats this NMM? I knw I\'m mod here, but I never asked about it before.

I\'m embarrassed now :blush:

And nice work so far starks.

Starks333
02-04-2006, 09:00 PM
its using colours to show a metallic

Non Metallic Metals, Sky EarthNMM is bringing into effect, the horizons, so sky and earth, thats complicated if you dont get reflections...which i dont

so yellows/browns for gold
grey/white for silver
etc

except i screwed up and went to bright...:(

it looks liek a great blending job but its too golden yellow, not enough gold...i think it was because i was doing it under a lamp that shines yellow....(damn that lamp)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/04/02 23:34

Titicincy
03-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey dude,
Don\'t be so harsh with yourself! For a first try it\'s a good result. I myself try to paint in NMM and gold is certainly mroe difficult to paint as silver or iron NMM. That\'s a good job right there, keep it up!
;)

Starks333
03-04-2006, 01:49 AM
i am the worlds harshest critic of my own work hahahah, i find silver harder...just looks like grey if not done right!

im happy with the result now, looks good enough for a first try hahaha

Starks

Indra
03-04-2006, 01:53 AM
NMM? I get it now. I knew what that was then but never really thought about it in a specific term. I say you did a good job, and that technique is ludicrously difficult to master, however, you seem to have a firm grasp.

Keep preactising mate, its the only way.

:blink:

Corvus
03-04-2006, 02:23 AM
None metallic metals are brilliant when done correct... and it takes a great deal of skill to do right, and your coming along great Starks, thats looking absolutley brilliant! (far better than I can do!)

I do get the idea of Sky-Earth.. I have a great set of DVD\'s done by an ex golden=daemon judge if you want a look? - really good pointers :)

Starks333
03-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Corvus wrote:

None metallic metals are brilliant when done correct... and it takes a great deal of skill to do right, and your coming along great Starks, thats looking absolutley brilliant! (far better than I can do!)

I do get the idea of Sky-Earth.. I have a great set of DVD\'s done by an ex golden=daemon judge if you want a look? - really good pointers :)

****thanks! and i sure would enjoy a peak or two!...i need visuals i cant get it from articles(like coolminiornot) they dont work for me

Starks

TheSovereign
03-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Starks333 wrote:

I figured id start a section for all WIPs instead of adding new threads :)

this is my first attempt at NMM, i think im still just highlighting rather than completely NMMing, i still dont understand horizons yet..one day...maybe...

***edited the pictures, i fixed up the flaw of being too yellow, its now more gold looking, but not quite what i want yet(although this model will not receive any more testing :laugh:)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0383.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0384.jpg

Starks<br><br>Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/04/03 01:18

Hey Starks333,

I think your model is coming along pretty nicely. Even if it doesn\'t work as NMM (I think it might though) it\'s a good paintjob. Anyway, I don\'t particularly like NMM pieces. I mean, they look okay for some show pieces, but if you\'re using the model in an army then it\'ll look really weird next to any non-NMM models. That\'s just my take, I\'ve never been one for non-metallic metals. Maybe it\'s because I can\'t do them!

Starks333
05-04-2006, 01:35 AM
working on another part of the Inquisitors retinue, tried doing teal for the first time ever, the dark brown parts--feather=red, little icons gold, paper...paper colour, and face will be much lighter, that colour is for the recesses so its not, light skin-black cracks

i may do some NMM silver on parts to add some nice contrast as well

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0385.jpg

Starks

torn
06-04-2006, 06:16 PM
wow i really like the NMM on the inquisitor, ive always wanted to do them but have never really tried on a miniature. Obviously when you paint a painting as i sometimes do you dont use metallic paint, so i suppose its the same thing.

but what if its not shiny!!!

Starks333
07-04-2006, 12:06 AM
torn wrote:

wow i really like the NMM on the inquisitor, ive always wanted to do them but have never really tried on a miniature. Obviously when you paint a painting as i sometimes do you dont use metallic paint, so i suppose its the same thing.

but what if its not shiny!!!

***its pretty much the same thing, and you just need to mix in different colours to get shiny/dull shades of gold, dull has less yellow more browns, bright obviously mroe yellow

thanks! i plan on attempting silver, i had a hard time getting it right on my test attempt, but that was over a month or two ago, i can probably make it look good now! (i learn fast :))

ill post some more pictures after a bit more work on the retinue

Starks

Indra
07-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Get it posted, we all want to see!

Starks333
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
well i took a break on the retinue until i can figure out how to get more colours in there without breaking the theme

so i started working on a model i was doing awhile ago, its the first time i use GS to do something other than minor stuff or robes

hard to take photos of the GS! and black paint...

+++pictures removed+++

the design has changed around alot, since im testing out my abilities, and trying to think of what i want the model to look like

im trying to keep a more medievil styled armour with intricate designs, while still dragonifying him(you will see that in the legs when im done more than anything)

the head is from Ulrik the wolf priest, just carved out a few spots for a more dragon shape, and i still have to sculpt the longer nose and a bit of detail on the face

im also working on the mini dragon that sits on his jump pack, i tore him off and im going to rebuild him better, he didnt have the shape i wanted, needed a thicker belly, bigger legs

link to gallery (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/King%20of%20Dragons/?sc=1&multi=2&addtype=local&media=image)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/04/09 22:22

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/21 01:13

Post edited by: AunO Vader, at: 2006/11/12 19:07

Starks333
23-04-2006, 05:59 AM
well i did a bit more on the inquisitor, and needless to say i really sucked it up with the silver NMM, still causing me trouble

the cape has more depth in person

anyways:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0462.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0466.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0469.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/04/24 01:45

Starks333
04-05-2006, 05:45 AM
update on my venerable dreadnought, added the ork hes fighting!, still needs a bit of GS work(a strap for the bullets)

the pictures are better in full view so ill provide a link as well

+++picture removed+++

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/

my cousin left his ork stuff here after his last visit, thats why i have so much ork stuff to play with :)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/21 01:14

NathanS
04-05-2006, 05:56 AM
aggh ran over the edge! Also I kinda feel a little sorry
for the ork but then again he deserves it for being so orkish(aka dumb).

Starks333
04-05-2006, 06:00 AM

*** ya, its cool because kustom shoota orks are useless in my cousins army(well doesnt use em) and i built the model for him so im like...hmmmm *snatches model* it helps show preferred enemy which is handy! because its not a dead ork, its unique, and i needed to show it!

i also like how he is leaning over the edge of the base, really adds to his falling backwards

still need to add some wires and such to the torso of the dread before i start painting it fully

Starks

NathanS
04-05-2006, 06:02 AM
That is very cool great idea. I hope it works out the way you want it to.

Starks333
04-05-2006, 06:34 AM

*** ya, its cool because kustom shoota orks are useless in my cousins army(well doesnt use em) and i built the model for him so im like...hmmmm *snatches model* it helps show preferred enemy which is handy! because its not a dead ork, its unique, and i needed to show it!

i also like how he is leaning over the edge of the base, really adds to his falling backwards

still need to add some wires and such to the torso of the dread before i start painting it fully

Starks

mark
05-05-2006, 12:30 AM
thats some cool painting and cool dreadnought i like the extra armour. you should put some pictures in the gallary when there finished

Starks333
05-05-2006, 12:39 AM
if i can finally buy a new lamp(gotta remind the dad to get me one for the weekend...) then i might be able to take pictures worthy enough of my paintjobs, otherwise my models just look like crap..and i cant be having that!

thanks!

Starks

NathanS
05-05-2006, 02:24 AM
NMM atands for non metallic metals it is where you use non-metalic paints and paint something to look like metal.

Indra
05-05-2006, 03:34 AM
Theres a fantastic example in this months WD by Neil Hodgeson I think, on a Tau XV8 Battle suit, made to look NMM silver. It\'s a fantastic piece of art.

Starks333
05-05-2006, 03:43 AM
ya he used Sky Earth non-metal to get a mirror-metal effect...it looks alright, but not my fave

Starks

Indra
05-05-2006, 03:58 AM
But it has to be said, for a NMM its absolutely great. What other kind of NMM is there then? Surely thats the only real way to do it, unless to change the angle of the sky/earth line, but that would just make it look odd wouldn\'t it?

Enlighten us Starks, I\'m not sure I can imagine another way to do it.

:blink:

Starks333
05-05-2006, 04:08 AM
there are two ways

NMM- which is simply showing the colour reflect light

and

SENMM- which is showing the sky and earth, as more of a mirrored reflection rather than reflecting only light

of course theres more metallics than just gold and silver...reds blues, all have metallic shades and when done right look simply amazing

(if you want solid examples, look under the Yellowone, on coolminiornot.com, his stuff is amazing...especially his metallic red)

Starks

Indra
05-05-2006, 04:11 AM
LOL, I just saw your signature... made me laugh! Not only at the humour, but its 1000 posts behind...

:laugh:

Starks333
05-05-2006, 04:12 AM
i know....and i typed it in today too...only like 4 hours ago....you make me :sick:

:laugh:

Starks

Indra
05-05-2006, 04:14 AM
And to think, only about 78% of it useless drivel... or is that useful...

:whistle:

Starks333
05-05-2006, 09:55 AM
ok...so i started building some scenery, im actually doing it because i randomly said to my friend, after she was sad because of the fact she made a pretty big mistake on her project, that id build her a castle...why? i have no idea...so im doing it

heres a link to the design:
Pic 1 (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Art/?action=view&current=HPIM0525.jpg)

now this is what im using:

tissue paper box(kleenex)as the base size

wrapped in styrofoam(pink insulation foam) and two towers added by cutting some cardboard rolls(from rolls of material from the shop)

mounted on a styrofoam hill

i plan on adding a central keep type building, it will have a bit of a walkway around it made up of popsicle sticks(cant find anything smaller around)

then im going to use plaster stuff to cover it in a rough surface, which i will sand down and then create the brick effect

im undecided on how to top the towers

im going for a pretty castle, so pink roofs and light grey walls..and bunnies and kittens...and all that jazz...

also what to do about a door?

this is definetly not to warhammer scale, but it is to epic(warmaster) scale, but i dont play either

will still be a neat scenery piece if my friends can get around the pink/prettyness...

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/05/05 11:11

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/05 14:58

Indra
05-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Looks like a sensible design. Just keep at it. Although I\'d recommend adding a layer of card to kleenex box to strengthen it up if its the base, they collapse real easy.

Also, edited the link for you, can you try to use the URL button to add links into posts? It just saves on the post spreading over the page so we cant read all the info.

For those of you unsure how to do it:

type the following:

url=full web address

followed by the text you want to act as the link eg. \'Pic 1\'

and end it with [/url]

That ought to do it.

Obviously use the square brackets to frame the whole first line, I just couldnt do it without turning the whole instruction into a link! Alternatively hold the mouse over the URL button and copy the layout displayed. It\'s how I learned it.

:)

Post edited by: IndraFurya, at: 2006/05/05 15:04

Starks333
06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
not so much a WIP as a completed Crimson Fist!!

Crimson Fist Vet Sarge (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/)

***edit...hmmm i guess i should be unlazy and get my other light in there. those pics arent as good as i thought***

pictures are a wee bit better now, i can bring up my other light frm the basement and get some nicer lighting which will help, got a new lamp finally!!

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/05/07 00:15

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/05/07 00:33

Starks333
12-05-2006, 04:09 AM
just another little WIP sculpt on my Crimson Fist Company Champ (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/?action=view&current=HPIM0559.jpg)

*the fist turned out better than i was expecting...hahah ok who am i fooling i was expecting it to look this good! hahah although my only problem is its a bit crooked because i had already painted the model and GS HATES painted surfaces...and wouldnt stick

Starks

torn
12-05-2006, 05:05 AM
for the texture for the castle walls - i use pound shop all purpose filler for that, generally sticks to cardboard and dries overnight.

you have some cool stuff in my opinion!

Starks333
12-05-2006, 09:09 PM
torn wrote:

for the texture for the castle walls - i use pound shop all purpose filler for that, generally sticks to cardboard and dries overnight.

you have some cool stuff in my opinion!

***i was thinking of doing that and then carving the brick design into the dried filler/plaster, but keep in mind i have a layer of foam between the cardboard and outside so the kleenex box is simply the base structure that gave me the idea :) but i think the filler idea will work

i changed up the design a bit, im now building it into a rockface more or less, theres going to be a pretty bridge with possibly two unicorn heads on the bridge posts, im going to sculpt a bunny(paint it pink) and then make a stick princess too! hahahah and also the towers are at the front..mostly because i wasnt thinking when i glued it to the hills...

im very slow when it comes to building things so it will be awhile hahahah

and thanks torn! i try...i really do, if its not cool i have failed....

Starks

The crow
14-05-2006, 06:35 AM
it is really nice. very good job, but have you ever thought of adding abit of goblin green in the first stage of NMM? well keep up the good work!
abit late but hey just getting use to the forum and thhe desgin of the castle looks cool.

The crow.

Post edited by: The crow, at: 2006/05/14 07:37

Starks333
21-05-2006, 03:47 AM
alright so i finally got half decent pictures, took me forever!

+++pictures removed+++

***may not look like ive done much to some so ill explain what ive done

-2 more highlights to red, red hates my camera so its not as visable

-smoothened out some parts of the gold NMM with more layers/shades

-fixed the silver NMM a bit, realised where i went wrong on the chain but still dont get the bionics

-did the paper a greyish brown, with red writing

-painted the holster using a new combo of browns

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/21 01:12

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/21 01:13

NathanS
21-05-2006, 04:26 AM
and I hate you.

Starks333
21-05-2006, 04:46 AM
hahahahahaha nice, hahaha

im working on the retinue a bit right now ill post some pics of them once i have more done :)

Starks

Starks333
21-05-2006, 07:47 AM
another quick WIP shot, of a henchman with some NMM work

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM0607.jpg

too bad this isnt my own retinue and this is for a friend...mostly because id have a retinue done...but instead of have only gained experience :(

Starks

Indra
21-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Once again starks that is some nice work you\'ve done there.

Fenix
21-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Yea its not bad

Romulus81
21-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Great start on that buddy:)

Gaius Julius
21-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah that\'s pretty sweet!

killer cheese
21-05-2006, 05:26 PM
man i wish i could paint to that standed.

NathanS
21-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I like my torquemada it is just i havent gotten around to messing up nmm yet lol.

Starks333
26-05-2006, 12:53 AM
i felt motivated to sit out in the sun today and since i cant do that without doing somehting i thought...HEY lets play with clay...so i started: This (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/King%20of%20Dragons/?action=view?t=HPIM0419.jpg)

EXCEPT in clay and bigger!:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Art/HPIM0631.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Art/HPIM0632.jpg

looking alright so far, and by the way thats the dragon spine i hadnt thought of doing an actual spine on the original model, but it came across as accidental on the clay one

i have no idea how to do the claws or arms yet...or really anything else hahaha

tools: Hands and a pencil

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/05/26 01:55

Starks333
21-10-2006, 12:25 AM
well i thought id revive this thread in hopes everyone would use this single thread for their single model Work In Progress\' simple because it saves a bit of space and its easier for everyone to comment on just WIPs(rather than ideas, armies, etc which are better left to individual threads)

so heres what im working on, practicing painting this guy so when i finish the daemon prince ill of revived my skills(havent painted in like 2 months)

****this one is the first pic i took, after several layers and some wet blending attempts, you can see the blending but it wasnt bright enough and so i continued
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1402.jpg

***this shows ive actually done some stuff on the top half, im about ready to introduce camo green to the mix to brighten it up like the bottom half
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1413.jpg

***this is the best angle to see the blending on the lower portion, i practiced and played around a bit still not perfect but getting there :silly:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1411.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/21 01:37

Starks333
21-10-2006, 04:10 AM
just an update with the green finished on the back:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1418.jpg

military green--> achieved

Starks

Scolar
21-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Thats a nice green, mind saying what colours were used?

Starks333
21-10-2006, 04:13 AM
just check out the colours sticky at the top of the forum, its the very last one

Starks

Solinus
21-10-2006, 06:15 PM
NMM is a non metallic method of painting metal, for example the old ultramarines theme that was done with yellow as opposed to gold, hard to pull off, but very worth it :P

hope this helps :)

Starks333
26-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Just an update on the psyker, tried a bunch of new things:

-played with colours, added blues to brown, purple to gold, brown to silver, brown to green etc

-second attempt at NMM, tried a darker silver this time along with a better colour palette for the gold(i have another selection in mind for the next gold attempt, a more realistic version)

-wet blended in places, nowhere near as difficult as many say and either i got much better at brush control or i was dreaming, because i had no trouble controlling the watery paint this time

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1446.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1445.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/27 00:25

Starks333
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
WOW, i cant believe i just did that....i did this in 5 minutes no joke!

this is AWESOME!!!!, i love painting now, and I definetly have to credit this to Boltman ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1066.jpg

Starks

Indra
12-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Very nice work there starks!

I\'m very impressed!

Indra

Drackonis
12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Seconded, its going to look really good once you\'ve done the whole model! And in 5 minutes, you\'ll have to tell us how...

Starks333
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Drackonis wrote:

Seconded, its going to look really good once you\'ve done the whole model! And in 5 minutes, you\'ll have to tell us how...

***all i used was midnight blue and fiery orange

-layer everything but the bright spots with fiery orange
-mix orange and blue for the darkest shade apply to shadows in thin layer...
-slowly mix up to straight fiery, layering(i did about 5-8 layers)
- straight fiery orange

the contrast allows me to not worry about highlighting the orange, rather all i did was shade it

Starks

Starks333
12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
ok, heres an update(yes i had to go out and buy a new purple this morning because i got so excited to paint him..)

***note the purple looks more blue than it is, again because i think the like makes the blue show through more, the highlight also shows up more in person under the light, ill have to see outside of the light...hopefully it does!~

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1067.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1068.jpg

And a front shot, showing the touched up orange and the finished white trim

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1069.jpg

***purple is one of the hardest colours to do for me, wow, took me awhile!, had to add grey to the highlights to get the purple right, i added a bit more shading to the back, and a highlight to the front after the pics, not overly noticeable

the rest of the scheme that i can think of: light blue swords like the ones GW does for him...white armour, white sash if the purple armour details works out

Starks

Scolar
12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I think the purple needs more highlighting, just doesn\'t have the contrast that the orange has. Also you need to do some washes on the orange cloth because there are obvious joint lines in the layers. It goes from very brown to bright orange very fast

Post edited by: Archon N, at: 2006/12/12 19:27

Starks333
12-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Archon N wrote:

I think the purple needs more highlighting, just doesn\'t have the contrast that the orange has. Also you need to do some washes on the orange cloth because there are obvious joint lines in the layers. It goes from very brown to bright orange very fast<br><br>Post edited by: Archon N, at: 2006/12/12 19:27

***the purple isnt as bright of a colour, so shadows dont affect it as much.. also because there arent many folds in the cape, there is less shadow and light is hitting it more evenly, however i will have to wait to see the white armour done before i can fully gauge the contrast on the cape, the white might darken it(erase the contrast), or it might brighten it(add more contrast)

as to the orange, the only obvious joint lines are not visable in the picture feel free to look Here (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/?action=view&current=000_1069.jpg) to see the bigger version, there is one line line of darkness next to the part im assuming you speak of, but its a shadow from my light source, and not painted

Thanks!

Starks

Scolar
12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
The lightest orange is too obvious on that. you can see a nice straight line where it has been applied, not blended in with the lower colours

Starks333
12-12-2006, 07:39 PM
i dont see where you speak of, please copy the image from my photobucket and draw in some circles around the area you are reffering to

Starks

Scolar
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/necrontyr2000/jointlinesgalore.jpg

The edges just seem a bit too obvious, unless that is a trick of the camera

Starks333
12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
well, the right side of the \"line\" was obvious but it wasnt visable in the pic, i touched it up just now however to smoothen it out a bit, that line WAS bugging me :)

the \"line you are reffering to,is because of how the robe folds so sharply, you probably cant see the distinct sharpness in the photo, and how it would actually shadow like that

but keep in mind as i might not of said this, this is for an army, not competition, so the blending wont be 100% smooth

i appreciate the time to do the circle ;) i did a few touchups for where i could see actual lines

Starks

Scolar
12-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Ah right sorry, I hate pointing out everything when it\'s part of an army. Looking striking though, should be a really cool farseer

Starks333
12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
no worries, you didnt know ;) and it is a character after all so it doesnt hurt to look better :P

Starks

Starks333
13-12-2006, 03:04 AM
well Archon, i decided to highlight/shade the purple more

and with that, pictures:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1074.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1073.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1070.jpg

i think it works now :) now to do the rest of the mini :O

Starks

Scolar
13-12-2006, 06:59 AM
The cape looks really realistic well done

When I begin on my stormtrooper sergeant I demand you point out every mistake I do, I must improve :lol:

Starks333
13-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Archon N wrote:

The cape looks really realistic well done

When I begin on my stormtrooper sergeant I demand you point out every mistake I do, I must improve :lol:

hahaha no need to tell me, i already do! :) you should check out the photography article i posted in the knowledge sticky, might help out your photos

Starks

Dyp
13-12-2006, 05:15 PM
very cool starks

Knight of ne
13-12-2006, 05:28 PM
very nice starks, i would be proud to play aginst an army painted to your standard.

Starks333
13-12-2006, 05:33 PM
:) thanks guys, I just need to actually get one painted..:S luckily i love robes and i have a Farseer and warlock bodyguard in my eldar list, along with a bunch of vehicles so it may very well be possible!...although the freehand will take awhile

im still trying to figure out the scheme on him, right now the lavender is buggin me, but i cant think of the right colour for the sash, it was originally going to be white but...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1075.jpg
Starks

Knight of ne
13-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Starks333 wrote:

:) thanks guys, I just need to actually get one painted..:S luckily i love robes and i have a Farseer and warlock bodyguard in my eldar list, along with a bunch of vehicles so it may very well be possible!...although the freehand will take awhile

im still trying to figure out the scheme on him, right now the lavender is buggin me, but i cant think of the right colour for the sash, it was originally going to be white but...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1075.jpg
Starks

well you could do the sash in the same orange as the skirt/kilt.

Scolar
13-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Could you do the sash in the orange colour? It seems like it would go perfectly and would tie in the front of the model together

Ziggy Tempest
13-12-2006, 05:53 PM
that is some good painting personally im really rubbish at painting
i think the sash looks good as it is

Starks333
13-12-2006, 06:00 PM
no it would be too much orange, right now the way hes sectioned is the orange is bright, but not too much, and will be evened out(i believe) by some orange on the upper body, face or maybe on the sword or runes

the purple is balanced and works well with the orange while the blue compliments it, the white will keep the scheme bright and clean

the sash is supposed to divide the scheme, but not cause any problems...i might be able to get away with white(as it works with the trim on the orange while the blue seperates it from the armour) but im not sure, kinda wanted to try and make lavender work

right now the sash blends into the scheme, which i dont want

hmmm

Ziggy Tempest
13-12-2006, 06:05 PM
what about a kind of beige-ish clour

Starks333
13-12-2006, 06:08 PM
colonel tempest wrote:

what about a kind of beige-ish clour

***with lavender freehand!...i might just scream perfect...first must paint!

Starks

Ziggy Tempest
13-12-2006, 06:13 PM
im confysed:huh: was it a good or bad idea

Starks333
13-12-2006, 06:25 PM
colonel tempest wrote:

im confysed:huh: was it a good or bad idea

poetentially both, good because it works, bad because it means im going to be doing lavender freehand :P

Starks

Starks333
13-12-2006, 07:31 PM
ok another update *rolls eyes*

this is the sash i decided on(thanks to Colonel), im debating going brighter or not, also debating orange or purple face on his helmet, i think purple will work better, unites more because the cape flows up to his face, kinda keeps the orange contained

NOTE its not finished, as i was unsure if i should go brighter so the blending is rough in some spots

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1076.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/000_1077.jpg

OH and what colour for the gems? thats my only other question on colours then no more updates till im done, unless you want em :P

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/12/13 20:32

Dyp
13-12-2006, 07:40 PM
very cool

Mycosynth
13-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Scorpian Green might look good for the gems.

Indra
13-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah green is nice for gems for my vote, and yes more updtaes please, I\'m enjoying seeing the work in progress, and yet again I find myself disgusted by your skill...

Grr

:D

Indra

The Banished Ranger
13-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Sorry Indra and synth I feel a sexy red would look nice with him,or blue.

Mycosynth
13-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Sexy Red?

The Banished Ranger
14-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Yes like...umm... like a ruby red. I guess you could use blood red.

Starks333
14-12-2006, 03:53 AM
@Myco, ive been thinking green actually

@Indra, hahaha its really not hard, i can even do a tut for ya(i had to scratch the DP tut because i started using him as a practice mini which means ive been doing and redoing, and trying new things)

@ranger....it cant be blue as it wont show on the purple, and if i go bright it wont show up vs the blue detail on armour, and red im undecided on its not ultra bright like the green, which may be good, but may be bad

ill have to test out the green and the red, thanks guys!

Starks

saustin
14-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Starks I have to say I\'m impressed, everytime I see it I become more impressed. Especially the cloth area at the bottom (looks very good).
I\'d also go for green :).

Ziggy Tempest
14-12-2006, 06:38 PM
why not go for a sort of emerald colour (just wanted to say green but at the same time feel sophisticated did i pull it off:ohmy:

Starks333
14-12-2006, 06:51 PM
the green looks excellent against the purple, but it stands out too much against the white and the blue...my friend suggested green blue...and so im going to try turqoise out

it fits with the blues i have in the scheme but its greenish and looks excellent with orange and purple(go figure...)

Starks

Ziggy Tempest
14-12-2006, 07:00 PM
my goerge i think you\'ve got it
(thats a good idea):woohoo:

Starks333
02-01-2007, 02:59 PM
started painting something else up a bit to practice more realistic tones

not sure if its done yet, i really like it, but i might need a bit more brighteness

it might be a bit brighter/darker, but this is a pretty good picture, i think im doing pretty good with this one :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/Obsidian%20Guard/100_2713.jpg

Model can be seen Here (http://gdteamcanada.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=174&start=30)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/01/02 15:59

Mycosynth
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Wow thats one hell of a model Starks!

Starks333
11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
so what have i been up to?

not much....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM1623.jpg

only based about 155 models so far this week, another 61ish to go

theres a mix of guardsmen, sisters, and crimson fists in there

i might do a little painting in the between time however

Starks

Captain Castus
11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeez... The great \'base-a-thon\'... Now that really is WORK in progress... I hate basing...

Is that an \'old-style\' box I see in the top left of the picture? What was in it?

Starks333
11-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Captain Castus wrote:

Yeez... The great \'base-a-thon\'... Now that really is WORK in progress... I hate basing...

Is that an \'old-style\' box I see in the top left of the picture? What was in it?

**old school skaven clanrats, im cleaning up and converting/painting all my old fantasy and going to sell it on ebay, hoping to make at least close to its original value or more if im lucky

Starks

Mycosynth
11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow thats alot of models!

Chaplain Orthox
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Holy jabeebus! I see you have been busy!

...I am having trouble just getting my 5 jump marines painted... and I have been working on them since Xmas...

Pyrofoo
11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I fear my own base-a-thon is soon to come because i haven\'t based any of my army and i have over 1800 points of space marines. I think the main problem is that I don\'t know what to use for the base. I\'ll figure something out. You\'re stuff looks great by the way! Peace!B)

Starks333
11-01-2007, 10:43 PM
@Myco

....and that doesnt even include the fantasy, my eldar, or the other models i have....

Chaplain Orthox wrote:

Holy jabeebus! I see you have been busy!

...I am having trouble just getting my 5 jump marines painted... and I have been working on them since Xmas...

haha no worries, i needed a break from painting, i always have a hard time painting when i get back from trips, so i figured i should be productive in another way, and so did some work to move along the army progress(which i hadnt done in oh...months.....)

after i finish the daemon prince and the guy with the red banner it will be time for fantasy models(which should come out quickly i would think, no round surfaces which give me trouble)

I fear my own base-a-thon is soon to come because i haven\'t based any of my army and i have over 1800 points of space marines. I think the main problem is that I don\'t know what to use for the base. I\'ll figure something out. You\'re stuff looks great by the way! Peace

i like my mixed flock+slate chunks, keeps it simple and terrain like, nothing fancy

my mixed flock contains about *counts* 6-7 different sands/flocks which gives a much more realistic feel to the base as theres different sizes of rocks dirt chunks, grass mixed in etc

oh and thanks!

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/01/11 23:45

Knight of ne
12-01-2007, 06:14 AM
so many bases....

it really is a basathon. congratulations starks.

Starks333
16-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Heres the new skaven model in progress, pretty good pictures, captures most of the colour, brown isnt done the white is still showing through a bunch because i havent layered there much yet, im still unsure what to do to the skin, i cant decide if its done yet or not, and if not what else to do

there are many skaven to come :O

*** for bigger pictures go Here (http://gdteamcanada.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=174&start=45)

note the brown isnt done, its only endured a light layer or two where my highlights go

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2742.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2743.jpg

++++another skaven

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2751.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2750.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/01/19 03:33

Starks333
22-01-2007, 08:54 PM
another update did a tiny bit more on one rat, tried some NMM rusty/worn armour, not sure if im going to add some effects to it like actual rust effects, and such

also did the brown neck cloth..thing...bullets are red now, and the light reflection in the pic is actually highlighted as such

think it went pretty well....

++++more and newer pictures with rust effects on->Here (http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=16835&page=3)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2757.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2756.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2755.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/100_2754.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/01/23 17:23

Starks333
29-01-2007, 12:33 AM
heres some more of the marine, just a quick job as hes for my army, i would like to get my blending smoother while being quick, but im still not used to such thin layers and shading, and im impatient so...

anyways, here he is, the purple looks a bit lacking in certain spots, but i think it will look fine once his sword is in place

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2792.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2793.jpg

Starks

Mycosynth
29-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Very nice Starks. Is that a Dark Angel Veteren body? I recognize it but cant place it exactly.

Drackonis
29-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Thats looking very good, congradulations! Ive gotta start working on my painting skills, and one day I might be as good as you...

Viscount Vash
29-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Very very nice Starks, I wish I had the paitence to use such thin layers. That blue is cracking!

Starks333
29-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Vash the Violator wrote:

Very very nice Starks, I wish I had the paitence to use such thin layers. That blue is cracking!

***im still lacking the patience to use them properly, ill save the proper way for my games day, and maybe a different rat

however the marine has only taken about an hour and a half so far so not too bad, but the blending isnt smooth so..

Very nice Starks. Is that a Dark Angel Veteren body? I recognize it but cant place it exactly.

***thank, its Ezekiel, one of my all time fave minis :P

Thats looking very good, congradulations! Ive gotta start working on my painting skills, and one day I might be as good as you...

**just takes a little know how, i mean ive only painted...say..18 models total, and im working on 12 of them as we speak so, as long as you can figure out how to do stuff, its not the most difficult thing

;)

thanks, im working on a sculpt, and ill have more painting wips as i go :)

Starks

Starks333
07-02-2007, 07:08 PM
well heres some pics, i ended up going out last night so i didnt get the skin blended

the brighter blue should help make him look less like a night lord as well

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/100_2832.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/100_2831.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Tutorial/100_2830.jpg

anyways back to work, might do a bit on him today, i have other models i gotta do though

i was thinking of adding some purple washes here and there to get a more tzeentchy feel to the model, thoughts?

Starks

Mycosynth
07-02-2007, 07:12 PM
That looks awesome Starks! Keep up the good work!

Drackonis
07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Thats looking real good, and im really liking the gem thingo on the end of his killin\' stick, although, are you going to put more of the pinky red colour anywhere? To make it fit in better with the rest, if you know what I mean, at the moment its the only colour like it on the model. Mabye adding some hints of it into the skin colour, that would help make the skin contrast more with the armour, and make it so the pink gem doesnt stand out so much.

Starks333
08-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Drackonis wrote:

Thats looking real good, and im really liking the gem thingo on the end of his killin\' stick, although, are you going to put more of the pinky red colour anywhere? To make it fit in better with the rest, if you know what I mean, at the moment its the only colour like it on the model. Mabye adding some hints of it into the skin colour, that would help make the skin contrast more with the armour, and make it so the pink gem doesnt stand out so much.

**no actually i wont be, except maybe the eye \"gem\" i still have to paint on his forehead and his shoudler pad, its one of those minor details that works well seperated i think, also because my scheme is blue and purple(lue+red=purple) it is actually tied into the scheme already

i wanna do some glowing runes on the \"blades\" on his helmet, and maybe on his weapon blade, in a purple blue

this model has so much detail its ridiculous

ill have it done eventually though, its going pretty fast now so

thanks guys, ill have an update for you soon

Starks

Starks333
16-02-2007, 12:15 AM
getting there, just dagger hilt, gems, pouches and freehand left(and touch ups for the chips on the caps) and then the base of course

pics arent best, kinda wash out some of the contrast, i just took quick ones :P

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/100_2893.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/100_2892.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/100_2894.jpg

oh ya, and some freehand on the warlock, its alright, not great, not bad:

Big View (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/100_2891.jpg)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Eldar/100_2891.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/02/16 01:15

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/02/16 01:16

The Banished Ranger
16-02-2007, 01:46 AM
*Sound of jaw hitting the floor*

Nice work there Starks!

Is this a commision or your own? Great use of colours! Are you going behind any peticular craftworld?

Starks333
16-02-2007, 02:36 AM
The Banished Ranger wrote:

*Sound of jaw hitting the floor*

Nice work there Starks!

Is this a commision or your own? Great use of colours! Are you going behind any peticular craftworld?

it is my own craftworld colours, however as i have changed to an all jetbike army, i will be now selling this farseer+3 warlocks on ebay

Starks

Captain Castus
16-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Very nice but... Your paint\'s too thick! ONLY JOKING!! :laugh:

That\'s a lovely looking mini mate! Are you going to post them o CMON when they\'re done?

CC.

Starks333
16-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Captain Castus wrote:

Very nice but... Your paint\'s too thick! ONLY JOKING!! :laugh:

That\'s a lovely looking mini mate! Are you going to post them o CMON when they\'re done?

CC.

yes i will be, im planning on using cmon to advertise my auctions, and this guy along with 3 warlocks will be up for auction soon enough

im just getting practice, i did a bunch of freehand, i need a better brush for the bigger stuff, i like the winsor newton i have for small writing, but its not good for the bigger stuff

ill be doing a lot of freehand for the next while, i need to get better at it

ill post pictures next, only when i complete him, not much left on him, base should be simple, although i want some bushes...

Starks

Starks333
02-03-2007, 12:35 AM
***heres some shots at my first attempt at a more realistic black

i used chaos black, bronzed flesh and midnight blue, the blue is quite subtle in the mid shades(so between the highlights and the black)

im using this as a practice model, but i will still enter it at games day under fantasy single i think

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/Dark%20Elves/100_2957.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/Dark%20Elves/100_2956.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Fantasy/Dark%20Elves/100_2954.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/03/02 01:36

Drackonis
02-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Thats some very nice black! Good work. Mabye a step-by-step guide is in order? And mabye something on painting other colours of fabric well...

When I finally get some money and actually buy myself a usuable BT army of sorts im definatly going to have to try a similar thing using white... Mabye ill do some marines with white armour and black tabards, just for some variety... Hmmm.

Anyway, back on topic! Great black! And what are you going to paint the rest of the model? Something nice and contrasting?

Starks333
02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Drackonis wrote:

Thats some very nice black! Good work. Mabye a step-by-step guide is in order? And mabye something on painting other colours of fabric well...

When I finally get some money and actually buy myself a usuable BT army of sorts im definatly going to have to try a similar thing using white... Mabye ill do some marines with white armour and black tabards, just for some variety... Hmmm.

Anyway, back on topic! Great black! And what are you going to paint the rest of the model? Something nice and contrasting?

well im unsure if how i did the black was practical, i based it with the shade you see on his hood, then worked down to black, it took awhile and i was lazy so i didnt do it fully properly either..so a step by step would just be the same thing over and over....as i mentioned its only three colours, bronzed flesh for highlights midnight blue for medium shades..this gives the black a little life

as to the colours, im doing a dark scheme, blacks, browns, purpleish/blue skin, maybe some dark purple for some clothing havent decided on that yet...metallic weapon

things im undecided on is freehand filligree, or to do a subtle image in his cloak....and whether or not to do a snow base and then proceed to weather him with cuts, slashes, snow/mud etc

Starks

Starks333
23-03-2007, 11:28 PM
just a couple shots of the dwarf, got him pinned and GSed together just did a layer of flocking, still need to carve the base a bit more(made of clay)

the metal piece hes standing on is from eithe ludwigs box or kurt hellborgs

this is for the unofficial warseer painting comp, but more importantly my cousins birthday(which is april 10th) the comp just gives me an excuse for a harder deadline :P

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3010.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3011.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/03/23 23:30

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/03/23 23:31

The Banished Ranger
24-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice Model...I vaguely recall it on a site somewhere. I\'m thinking you should put the traditional troll head somewhere. And if the paintjob goes well(like always;) ) then your cousin should be one happy camper.

Starks333
27-03-2007, 10:08 PM
This was initially for the warseer comp, but I doubt Ill get it done in time, its a present for my cousin for his birthday

just some shots of the dwarf in progress, i think i might finally understand how to use white primer properly, i just need to base with a brighter shade next time, i also think i need more layers and less water on the brush(i was doing runny washes cuz im lazy...)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3015.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3016.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/03/27 23:08

Trick
27-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I\'m a big fan of Felix Paniagua\'s sculpts, he\'s a great artist. Wish he\'d never left GW really haha! I hope to get this blighter one day to lead my Karak Kadrin army.
Good luck with getting it painted, something that awesome needs an equally brilliant paint job and you\'ve made a good start with the crest, nice tones. Keep it up!

Trick

Pyrofoo
28-03-2007, 08:32 PM
did you do that green stuff starks????? because it is amazing work! rally great job. I wanna see the model fully painted too.

Starks333
30-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Pyrofoo wrote:

did you do that green stuff starks????? because it is amazing work! rally great job. I wanna see the model fully painted too.

just minor gap filling, i hate using GS...but ya

i did some more work tonight, shaded the hair more, did some minor shading on part of the axe, and started basing the skin

Starks

Starks333
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Lets see, $67ish worth...

4 reaper paints(purple, skin, brown and ivory)
3 vallejo model colour (blue, green and sand)
3 bags of woodland scenics, tall grass, foliage and moss/vines
some germans(two 1:35 for $8)
2 cans of testors dullcoat

3 stores...1 day....

can you count the madness??

Starks

Captain Castus
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I can indeed count the madness... As I (almost) always buy stuff with my debit card I know that I spent (at least) ?678.45 on hobby stuff last year!

?162.46 this year so far... So going at the same rate! :(

I still reckon that for ?s/hour it\'s a relatively cheap hobby though!!

CC.

p.s. I see you go the way of the Reaper-man ;)

Starks333
01-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Captain Castus wrote:

I can indeed count the madness... As I (almost) always buy stuff with my debit card I know that I spent (at least) ?678.45 on hobby stuff last year!

?162.46 this year so far... So going at the same rate! :(

I still reckon that for ?s/hour it\'s a relatively cheap hobby though!!

CC.

p.s. I see you go the way of the Reaper-man ;)

ya...im ....a lot below your yearly totals...wow....

anyways ya, i decided to pick some up to test em out, i found a few colours i liked so i said why not....then i went to the store that had vallejos.....and i felt kinda dumb :P but paint is paint so

i also plan on picking up a batch of P3 paints before i move...but that wont be for a couple more weeks so

Starks

The Warsmith
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Well as long as you have the money to buy that much then its fine. I just spend so much time painting them. i mean atm im working on a night goblin command group and its taking me hours. The musician has a checked hood rim, the standard bearer a white one and the leader white flames. They are part of my new tribe the Black Skull boyz with their allies the black moon gobbos and the insignia\'s are moon or skull in black on white

Starks333
01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
The Warsmith wrote:

Well as long as you have the money to buy that much then its fine. I just spend so much time painting them. i mean atm im working on a night goblin command group and its taking me hours. The musician has a checked hood rim, the standard bearer a white one and the leader white flames. They are part of my new tribe the Black Skull boyz with their allies the black moon gobbos and the insignia\'s are moon or skull in black on white

haha ya me too, but ive decided, once the fists are done, the only thing id ever buy would be orks, to finish up a smaller ork army(my fists\' rivals) that would be it, also i kinda like having a horde army for a switch

ive decided against armies in fantasy, which ironically is what i started with

im considering a smaller warmachine army just so i can play with my friends when time is limited, and some interesting painting opportunities

what i am doing is moving on to historical and display models, Andrea models, Tamiya models etc

I want to improve my realism, and scenic bases and stuff, as well as work on bigger scale as I will be sculpting at the 54mm-ish scale

so im slowly converting my colours to more realistic tones of VMC/some reaper colours

however i will stil im sure be painting the odd GW models, for ebay slaes or commissions, or just for fun(hah...doubt that part) so im not cutting off completely

Starks

Starks333
02-04-2007, 12:31 AM
sorry for double post, i did some work tonight, figured id post :)

im not sure what to do with the skin now, would i slowly mix darker by adding some more purple or maybe blue and purple?

the axes are slightly out of focus in the pictures I apologise, they look a bit betetr in person, my blending still isnt super smooth yet

i added in some blue mixes to darken shadows further on the mohawk

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3029.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3028.jpg

thanks!

Starks

The Banished Ranger
02-04-2007, 01:08 AM
The skin and hair are amazing Starks!!! Just beautiful but why haven\'t you painted the face? I think the skin looks just fine as it is;)

Starks333
02-04-2007, 02:03 AM
The Banished Ranger wrote:

The skin and hair are amazing Starks!!! Just beautiful but why haven\'t you painted the face? I think the skin looks just fine as it is;)

the face was left out because i had to touch up with white first, and i wanted to do more of the beard before touching up

heres what the skin looks like with more shading(only one arm done so far) i also smoothened out the blending...it has more contrast in person, theres some elf flesh+bleached bone that isnt showing up that well(probably cuz i dont have any light diffusion going on...)

i always forget to add browns, so i tinted the skin a more redish colour

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3032.jpg

Starks

Drackonis
02-04-2007, 05:56 AM
The tinting really adds some extra depth and smoothness to the skin. Great work!

Skrall
02-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Bloody good work, shame the white is so distracting

Hawke

Solinus
02-04-2007, 10:28 AM
O_O

We love you Alex :laugh:

This is so.....amazing....

~Nik

Grandpa Ducky
02-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Great color to that skin. I like it.

Starks333
03-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Well heres an update, got a bunch more done, mostly on the back, did some minor work on the front

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3035.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3034.jpg

lots more work left to do :P

OH and ignore the base, its going to be black, i was thinking ivory, then changed my mind

Starks

Trygon
03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
.....OMG.....I love you Stark! That is the best dwarf I have ever seen. Karma for the Man!

Scolar
03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Yep that sure is a nice skin tone. So did you use glazes of purple over a skin basecoat then begin to highlight it?

Starks333
04-04-2007, 02:49 AM
thanks guys, as to what i did:

with my basecoat-elf+dwarf, i applied several thin washes, so that i covered the primer, but the white showed through at the brihtest spots...i basicly did a level or two of shading using the same colour

after this, i mixed in red, i always try and keep it very pale, so its a hint of red, this way its not blantant...i then glazed a bunch....

with a bit more red, and maybe a hint of purple i did more glazing

then it was purple

then it was purple with blue for the absolute darkest

I always mix the colours into my basecoat, which is bad, because i dont develop my medium colour, i skip it sometimes, i should be mixing to a darker skintone, then applying reds and purples

the entire model is painted with washes and glazes :)

Starks

Captain Castus
04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Starks333 wrote:

I\'ve noticed this... Do you ever you bold colours with a \'dense\' pigment? I like rich colours on a mini sometimes... Yours are always very subtle... Almost pastel on occasion (cf. the Crimson Fist)... This is obviously the style you are developing and I like it... I was just wondering haow it would work ad-mixed with a more \'solid\' painting style...

Impressed as always... :)

CC.

p.s. Your Dwarf reminds me that I must get around to painting my GD Slayer...

Starks333
07-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Captain Castus wrote:

Starks333 wrote:

I\'ve noticed this... Do you ever you bold colours with a \'dense\' pigment? I like rich colours on a mini sometimes... Yours are always very subtle... Almost pastel on occasion (cf. the Crimson Fist)... This is obviously the style you are developing and I like it... I was just wondering haow it would work ad-mixed with a more \'solid\' painting style...

Impressed as always... :)

CC.

p.s. Your Dwarf reminds me that I must get around to painting my GD Slayer...

well the orange is pretty bold :P...however no, not usually, i dont like bright cartoony colours, however i may one day paint something with them...my eldar models are pretty close, they will get touched again in the future

anyways...my bruses quit on me, so i cant work on the dwarf till i pick up some new ones..thats what i get for not maintaining my brushes better...so ill have to spend the money for real brush cleaner and great brushes to prevent another...problem...

anyways updates on other things...this is what occupied a bunch of time, GKs for my friend, there 23 in total, theres also two sentinels a dread, a chimera and a land raider, a second dread isnt primed yet

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3039.jpg

AND, just cuz i decided to be nice..heres a sneak peak of my sculpt(exclusive to this board currently)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sculpting/100_3041.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sculpting/100_3042.jpg

Canonness/Sister Superior (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sculpting/d0_1_b.jpg)

ive done a lot of mods to try and get my crappy wire armature to work...and i fixed other issues, still need to fix her corset, the GS trim needs lowering to lengthen her upper body..and her bum is too big :P(but you cant see it...actually you can see her leg is a bit wide on the right side...)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/04/07 06:24

Indra
07-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Awesome looking mini in prog Starks...

Is that the sister from the front of the book?

Indra

Starks333
07-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Indra wrote:

Awesome looking mini in prog Starks...

Is that the sister from the front of the book?

Indra

check the link at the bottom of that post ;)

Starks

Captain Castus
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Look forward to seeing more of the Sister... Looks v.promising... :)

What scale is it?

CC.

Starks333
07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
its 54mm, I enjoy sculpting far more than painting, once im done all my painting, ill probably sculpt for awhile

Starks

Grandpa Ducky
07-04-2007, 05:52 PM
The sculpt is looking pretty good so far, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing it painted.

-Grandpa Ducky

Hephesto
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Looking great Starks, should also be interesting to see
how those GK\'s turn out. Always liked the models, but
the were a bit pricy and quite frankly they always
intimidated me. So much shiny silver in 1 army and
still make it look great, seems very tough to me.

Interesting work with the GS, I also find that I use
more and more with each new model that passes through
my hands. I\'m contemplating of trying some complete
sculpts, so out of curiosity what kind of armature are
you using? I\'ve been thinking a lott of what kind of
wire to use and how intricate the armature should/could
be. Any thoughts?

The Vulture
07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I cant wait to see how that Sister of Battle works out, it is bound to be amazing.

Starks333
07-04-2007, 07:34 PM
@Vulture/Ducky, Thanks! Ill try and get more done sooner than later

Hephesto wrote:

Looking great Starks, should also be interesting to see
how those GK\'s turn out. Always liked the models, but
the were a bit pricy and quite frankly they always
intimidated me. So much shiny silver in 1 army and
still make it look great, seems very tough to me.

Interesting work with the GS, I also find that I use
more and more with each new model that passes through
my hands. I\'m contemplating of trying some complete
sculpts, so out of curiosity what kind of armature are
you using? I\'ve been thinking a lott of what kind of
wire to use and how intricate the armature should/could
be. Any thoughts?

as to the GK, I wont be painting them :P, unless he pays me, and pays me well hahaha, however I will try and show him how to do it, saves me time and effort

one of the best sculptors ive seen does a bunch of tutorials:
Spanish Tutorials (http://spanish-team.blogspot.com/)

as to armature, you gotta build it with the idea in mind that its his skeleton, not his skin, you bulk it up alot...you may need thinner wire for certain parts(say for example in his tutorial for Alfonso, the hand he sculpts)

twisting is the easiest way to do things, try and get both legs attached to the torso

next, consider how the arms will attach and whether you need to pin them into place later, or if they can be built into the model...either way attach armature pins/wire for support(even if against her body)

you only need wire for support, so they dont tend to get too complex

also, use miliput for shaping, GS for details, its much nicer, look into getting a sculpting brush, they are incredible for getting a smooth finish wth milliput

hope that helps

Starks

The Warsmith
08-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Looks really good

Hephesto
08-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info Starks, should come in really handy!

Now to figure out what I want to make, or even more
important what do I think I\'ll be able to make ;)

Starks333
08-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Heres an update: red blades, skulls and weapon wraps on base, some minor work on some metallics, his beard is done, black is done on weapon, ouched up the green a bit

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3048.jpg

Link (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3048.jpg)

Starks

Ocelot
08-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I\'m liking this model, good blending and good contrast.

Scolar
08-04-2007, 11:05 PM
This is your best model I\'ve seen from you, great work! I\'m now waiting for a frontal picture

Hephesto
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Just amazing, gonna have to agree with scolar definitely
one of your best so far!

Starks333
09-04-2007, 01:29 AM
thanks!....i decided to put more effort in, Im also much more relaxed, and I did a bunch of \"learning\" with my army that I feel really helped out.... however Im still lazy with my blending, it could be much smoother in some places, but I might feel more motivated when I get my nice new Raphael brushes :)

Ive fixed the axe, i inverted the shading at the bottom to try and help bring it out more, ill get a better angle to show the real axe, not this light distorted crap :silly:

i changed the robe to a off white, its actually a very light browny green now, more what i had in mind originally, ill be weathering it and such once i figure out how(weatering is something i suck at currently...)

and his base has received more layers of black, ill finish up the cracked side in a couple minutes, then ill decide how i want to finish it(matte or gloss)

i did a bunch of base work in the past 30minutes...i have about 12-15 colours on it now, slowly coming together, looks nicer already, but still needs a bunch more work

once Im done him, its going to be cleaning models and sculpting, as Im using my friends brush and I dont wanna wear it out on him!(and mine wont be in for a couple weeks)

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/04/09 02:30

Drackonis
09-04-2007, 01:59 AM
One word: Superb. And maybe a few more: brilliant, excellent, amazing etc.

Great work!! And its not even finished yet...

Captain Castus
09-04-2007, 08:39 AM
:ohmy: ... Says it all really!

I agree with Scolar - Frontal pic please!!

CC.

p.s. KARMA!

Starks333
10-04-2007, 07:21 PM
so heres a shot of the top of the base and how its looking, its almost finished

***added more photos for the heck of it

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3058.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3057.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3056.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3054.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3053.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/04/10 20:36

Scolar
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
That\'s a good looking base, but isn\'t the flower pot a little large to stand him on? Unless his base is just resting on the top right now

Starks333
10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
hes attached..this is a display only piece so size isnt really an issue, i needed it tall to add height to it, otherwise its not as cliff like...i didnt flock the whole thing otherwise it would look as though hes on an island mountain, which would be weird

Starks

Scolar
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Ah now I properly see the base it looks good, I thought he was standing on a pillar before but the latest pictures fix that

Starks333
10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
oh ok...what do you think fo the beard? it looks a little lacking i think, like i need brighter or darker shading more prevalent

oh also the eyes on the dragon axe, should i apint them? they are too small for gems so i figured keeping it flat would look more weapon like and less emphasize their liveliness(as they arent living dragons...)

also the side shot of the axe i think shows how i fixed it, i think the photo shows it much better than before as well

something just bothers me about his front, maybe its cuz his face isnt done...

Starks

Scolar
10-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I reckon the beard needs an extra highlight or two as well, maybe increase the shadow between the crossed lines in the beard (for the life of my I cant remember what they are called, braids?)

Yeah keep the dragons eyes in that green or else it might make the axes look too bright as they already have a number of different colours on them

Starks333
16-04-2007, 02:24 AM
well heres some pics, but they dont show very well, i dont have great lighting, and no photobox set up yet....so these will have to do

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3143.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3135.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/100_3130.jpg

More Images Here (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/)

Starks

Starks333
17-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I sculpted a face using Freemans tutorial(spanish forums), but as you can see i was too focused on the head and didnt see it in comparison to everything else, i made the shoulder pads too small, which made my head smaller(also i wanted to make the cheeks more rounded less manly after and how out of whack her upper body is

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sculpting/100_3146.jpg

SO i hacked off her head, her arm(and just now her other shoulder pad) i kept one pad in place just so i could keep a visual of where her shoudlers will be...the right breast needs to be moved over to the left a tiny tiny bit, not a big move so it will be quick...once i finish the trim on her standing leg it should look the same legth(and be the same length)

I fixed her butt, redid her upper body to give it proper shape, which in turn fixed her back, i have to figure out how i want the arms exactly, sculpt her shoudlers and then add pins to sculpt the arms, i want the arms removeable so i can paint them a bit easier, or if the arms are in closer, removeable so i can finish the sculpting around them before attaching

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sculpting/100_3147.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sculpting/100_3148.jpg

Starks

Captain Castus
17-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Jeez Starks... Looks far too much like hard work to me... :blink:

How many hours have you spent on her already?!

I guess it gets quicker to sculpt as you get more pratice...

CC.

Starks333
17-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Captain Castus wrote:

Jeez Starks... Looks far too much like hard work to me... :blink:

How many hours have you spent on her already?!

I guess it gets quicker to sculpt as you get more pratice...

CC.

Ohhhh id say 10 hours? but the way i work is I take an extroadinary length of time on one thing, that way i can do all my learning on it, and make a huge step, which in turn saves me time...im also very picky and even if its my first attempt i dont like poor results

most of the time spent is redoing stuff ive already done, sculpting time hasnt been too bad otherwise

by making so many errors though, Ill have that many less in my next sculpt ;)

Captain Castus
17-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Well... Good luck! I admire your dedication to push your boundaries... I\'m sure you\'ll get great results...

I always stay too much in my safety zone... I should really start to try and improve my painting and modelling like you seem to... :)

CC.

Honsou
17-04-2007, 08:55 PM
wow- looks great!!! (though i agree with castus: too much hard work for my style)

Honsou
\"Insanity is no worse than the common cold\":silly:

Indra
17-04-2007, 09:12 PM
The thing that I like about Starks\' work is that as he goes the model takes on a more realistic sense of scale. The proportions are more real to life, and less Heroic in stature which I really like in the larger scale miniatures.

Karma I think...

Indra

Starks333
19-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Well after having enough of not having them..I went out and finally bought P3 paints

Alex\'s Review:

They are awesome...that is all

So even though i was supposed to be on a painting break, how could i resist new paints??? so here we are testing them out :P

need to add a bit more brightness and darkness in certain spots on the cloak

i wanted to use a lot of colour so you can probably see all the red blue and green, yellow and maybe even the purple :P

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3179.jpg

Captain Castus
19-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Starks333 wrote:

Well after having enough of not having them..I went out and finally bought P3 paints

Are these something else you can\'t get easliy in the UK? :angry:

Starks333
19-04-2007, 07:36 PM
They are privateer press\' paint line, as PP is an american company, you may have a bit more trouble

however their shipping seems to suck as the store i get them from up here seems to have trouble getting his their shipments in on time, or within a reasonable amount of time

you can find them on ebay im sure

Starks

Starks333
21-04-2007, 04:17 AM
So heres some more progress on the skaven, turning out very rackham-y...the colour on the front doesnt show up very well it seems

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3193.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3194.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3195.jpg

Bigger Pics (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/)

Ive used 11 out of 12 P3 paints i got, i just dont have a use for the second blue(dark and light blue in the boxes)

i did a bunch of basecoating on the dark elves im painting to sell(originally was going to do dark elves but decided against a fantasy army)

the rat is going to pay for my P3 paint expense, while the elves supply me with monies towards my new dell 22\" widescreen lcd monitor :P...and then wireless keyboard and mouse, and new speakers

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/04/21 05:23

Captain Castus
21-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Soon you\'ll be a \'true\' professional living off the income of your work... B)

Love the shading on your thumb btw!

CC.

Starks333
30-04-2007, 07:57 PM
well, as i cant do much else on the skaven without my new brushes, ill show what i did for the speed painting on saturday, and what ive done to it since:

Speed Painting: (45mins, foundation paints only)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3231.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3230.jpg

This Mornings Work....

only one non foundation paint used-->to highlight, I never bought any foundation colours, but the colours I used on saturday are still on my wet palette :) I didnt mind the colours, loved the tones on most colours

anyways...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3233.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3232.jpg

Starks

Mycosynth
30-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Nice job so far Starks, Its coming along well. Plus its Tau so thats another point for it.:P

The Warsmith
30-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I gotta say the blue highlights on the thumb are awesome

Starks333
30-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Done...light is a bit bright but oh well, shadows are actually as dark as the overhead pic(first one) but light washed em out
++edited in better pics

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3237.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3238.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3239.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Sales/100_3240.jpg

took a total of....4 Hours to do

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/04/30 22:39

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/04/30 23:17

Starks333
25-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Well heres a model im actually going to keep!~ hes my Lord Stryker model(minus head which i plan to re-sculpt)

get to use my new brushes! not bad so far

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Warmachine/100_3323.jpg

++older pic with a better shot of cape, contrast doesnt show up well it seems..maybe in next pics it will

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Warmachine/100_3320.jpg

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/05/25 14:34

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2007/05/25 14:35