PDA

View Full Version : Help needed filling scratched flat surface

adders
22-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Hello Dudes

I wondered if anyone had any tips on the best way to fill a scratched flat white-metal surface on a mini.

Is the best option green stuff?

If so I\'d appreciate advice on best use.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Starks333
22-11-2006, 12:26 PM
well usuauly scratches can be filed off with a very fine file...if it still leaves scratches, then GS is the only route, i dont know if the scratches would be deep enough to do a skim coat layer or weather youd have to kinda build it up a tiny bit with a thin layer of GS

Starks

adders
22-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Cheers Starks

Just to fill you in on the details.

I used a craft knife to remove a small area of paint on a part-metal part-plastic mini.

Didn\'t want to strip so I thought it was my only option really.

The scratches are quite shallow and may even be covered with a thick layer of paint, but not sure and I want to load the paint on only to find they are still visible.

I\'ve done a bit of filing but I\'ve reached a point where I feel I can\'t do any more without affecting the shape of the mini.

It\'s definitely no more than skim coat territory - I\'ll give it a go.

Anny tips for applying a skim coat of green stuff?

Cheers

Indra
22-11-2006, 05:01 PM
I think with skim coating you need to apply the GS and then literally shave off the top of it leaving it in the groove/scratch. I\'m no pro, but starks should be able to clarify on this.

Indra

Starks333
22-11-2006, 05:35 PM
well skim coating only works if the scrates are deep enough because it generally likes to stay together and tends to peel off...you might be able to get it done that way

if you wanted you could try miliputor maybe brown stuff or a brand like it, its sandable so you could sand it right down after it cures

if they are only really small scratches you might also be able to cover it with primer as they tend to fill small errors in the model, but i wouldnt rely on it

or simply do what i do and convert it to battle damage :P

Starks

adders
23-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Hello Starks

I was thinking about the battle damage idea :laugh:.

I\'ll see what I can do using primer (they really are quite shallow).

Thanks for the tips, :Karma Boost:

Cheers

Post edited by: adders, at: 2006/11/23 09:45

kharn the betrayer
23-11-2006, 08:43 AM
If they are quite shallow how about trying superglue. I know it sounds wierd but a good quality super gle should fill in the scratches if your careful.

adders
23-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Hello Kharn

I know what you\'re saying.

That stuff does spread out very evenly, I\'ll try a thin lyer of paint.

If that doesn\'t work I\'ll test your idea out and might give it a go.

Cheers

kharn the betrayer
23-11-2006, 09:00 AM
I have found that using the more expensive glue such as loctite and not the GW stuff has produced results.

You may have to sacrifice an old paintbrush to do it properly.

But yes I would try some undercoat paint and brush it on, first as this is thicker than the usual white or black.

Good Luck

:evil:

adders
23-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Cheers Dude