PDA

View Full Version : Using Magnets for Space Marines

Daedalus_mbj
21-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Right - first post and all that - let\'s right to it.

I\'m thinking of using magnets to allow multiple weapon options on my infantry (sergeants, Special weapons and heroes). Since I find it too tricky to use detachable pinning in so small areas (requires two pins to prevent rotation).

So does anyone have any helpful tip as to where I might find some suitable (about 1/16\" diameter) Rare Earth Magnets that I can cut to use - and any helpful tips as to how I go about using them??

kharn the betrayer
21-11-2006, 09:33 AM
You could try E-bay, there was quite a lot on sale when I searched 2 minutes ago.

As to tips for using them don\'t have any, because I never use magnets.

:S

Aun O Vader
21-11-2006, 04:08 PM
if you look in the modelling section of the site, then there\'s an article I wrote on magnetising battlesuits, this will work just as well for space marines, and it takes mere minutes! there\'s also a link to a uk website that you can buy them from!

Daedalus_mbj
21-11-2006, 06:01 PM
the problem is that with space marines I need smaller magnets - and most likely I\'ll need to fit the into the arm lengthwise.

the magnets they have seems to be too big for the job.

I\'m considering using the magnets in the shoulder joint instead, but this method would mean a large amount of arms and shoulderpads (and I use the moulded pads as I absolutely HATE applying transfers to SM shoulder pads)

Aun O Vader
21-11-2006, 06:05 PM
the magnets I\'m using are only a couple of mm across, thats actually the size of a tau wrist. how small are you wanting?

Daedalus_mbj
21-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Small enough to fit inside a drilled out Space Marine hand and wrist.

Or barring that some 1-2 mil diameter rods to place in a Space Marine shoulder joint so I can swap the entire arm (meaning an extra expense of about 2-3 pounds per squad for me but hey, when you\'re a stickler for details and WYSIWYG you sometime have to fork over the dough)

Starks333
21-11-2006, 06:50 PM
would it not be cheaper to just have extra models? (money/time) i always found the magnet thing overrated(unless tau battlesuits because they are pricey and you do sometimes switch weapons) but with marines how often are you really going to switch weapons? its not like you have 67984 options...and most often only a few of them suit the army

Starks

Daedalus_mbj
21-11-2006, 11:00 PM
well, off the top of my head my choices for the sergeant are like this:

Do I give him a bolt pistol, plasma pistol or keep his bolter.
Do I give him a power weapon, powerfist, lightning claw or a chainsword.
Do I give him Terminator Honors?

At least b3 choices for either hand.

plus the three choices for the special Weapons trooper and the Heavy weapons guy the unit could easily end up with over 20 models. Bu making it so that I only need a body plus the various options I conserve transport space - and don\'t need to buy at least two Tac Squads to make a single unit - all I\'ll need are some extra heavy weapons to allow choice.