PDA

View Full Version : Mines of Moria

Aun O Vader
16-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Has anyone played Mines of Moria? What do people think of it, or the LotR games in general?

Basically this is all leading up to I\'m thinking of getting the game for Christmas from Mrs V but would like to know if its actually worth it.

Thanks guys.

Drackonis
16-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Ive had some LotR games before, its ok, a good starting point for the more advanced aspects of Warhammer (40k, Fantasy).

So I guess it depends on what you want. You can always go to your local GW and ask if you can try it out!

fridge61
18-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I have it and think its brilliant! Probably because I\'m a massive LotR fan, but anyways, you get rules, fellowship, troll, goblins (quite a few) and some nice MoM scenery too.

I play myself when I\'m bored and not on Astro as no-one else plays with me. But I found it great fun and it\'s very fluffy, great for you Aun, and I\'m starting a small Easterling force now :)

Mycosynth
18-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I would play but no one i know does and i could never convince Pyrofoo to do anything but 40k with me:(

ReaKon
27-11-2006, 06:55 PM
To be honest, the mines of moria limits you to pretty much one scenario to play over and over which can get boring.

I started by painting an army (which happened to be high elves) Half way through that I bought the big rulebook and read through it loads of times until I had a basic grasp and then when I had a large enough army, I took it into GW and they gave me an advanced intro game which clarified any doubts about rules.

One thing to find out first though is that is there anyone at your local GW that plays it. It is very limited where I am so I get stuck teaching a little kid the \'real\' rules.

I tended to just play with the GW staff aswell when they had time as they are reasonably good.

You will find that LOTR is a more tactical game than 40k but if you want games that are 1000+ pts then expect a long game as it takes longer.

The great thing is you can also get started on a 250pt army so you dont need to spend that much, you also get more models for your maoney as they are smaller.

They have the legions army boxes in store for ?50 aswell so you can use that as a core army for whichever you choose.

Hope this helps, Chris

Gaius Julius
27-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Wow, good post there chris, especially for a new member! I\'m boosting your karma for being very helpful and informative!

Anyway, yeah I\'ve never been into Lotr much, but now I\'m gonna try it out....

GJ

ReaKon
27-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks, but what is Karma?

The first game I played was LOTR so I am quite an experienced player. I am just starting off with 40k now to see what it is like.

Gaius Julius
27-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Well, thats for aun to talk about:D But essentially, it\'s a measure of how helpful, friendly, informative, knowledgable and active you are.

It\'s underneath your profile pic, controlled by those thumbs.

GJ

Aun O Vader
27-11-2006, 08:50 PM
thanks for the help guys, I think I\'ll probably give the MoM box a try, because it seems a fair place to start for the game. At the end of the day I\'m definitely more of a 40k player, but the main appeal of LotR is, its LotR and small armies! Especially seeing as I intend to collect woodland elves! If I like it. But thanks for all the help guys!

ReaKon
28-11-2006, 09:24 AM
no problem, if you would like advice on a good woodland elf army, let me know as my friend collects them.

Indra
28-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I love LotR but the game is something that never appealed to me. It was always too linear and dependant upon the books for my taste. The rules are nice, if complex at points, but I prefer the fantasy freedom from text.

My advice is play a few games for a tester.

Indra

grinkohof
28-11-2006, 05:22 PM
well aun, you could always do what i did. i started collecting an army of the last alliance (2 units of elves and 1 of men, with elrond and another elf captain) its about 500pts . i\'m still working on it at the moment so i haven\'t used it yet, but battling wasn\'t my main aim of collecting this army. i love lotr and i thought it would be cool just to have! and if i get to battle with it, thats all good!