PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy

LAZtheinfamous
06-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, Eldest Child has gotten a copy of Dark Heresy for his Birthday. I've been flipping through it and it seems...ok. It reads more like a RPG version of Inquisitor (down to the % based system). I've had a lot of experience myself with various RPGs over the years, I posted a list around here somewhere, but I want to know some stuff.

1. How easy is this game to run for a beginning gamemaster/players?
2. It seems like there is more adventures then supplements, and most of them are fluff light. Like the GM kit was more adventures then actual GM advice. Are they any good?
3. Does the game cross over with its sister games (Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch) easily? I bring this up because of the old World Of Darkness games, because while they all had the same base system, in the same world, they did not work well (Mage; the Ascension in particular could destroy anything from Vampire; The Masquerade).
4. There isn't a whole lot to the bestiary. I thought it was odd that there were only Lictors and Genestealers. There does seem to be more in the Deathwatch book (but again, refer to point 3).
5. Is it me, or is it only possible to recreate things from 40K only with a lot of time/levels invested? I was thinking about an Enginseer, but those are not starting characters and I can't even figure out if there are servo arm rules.
6. It also seems like this could be a great start to doing a IG campaign instead of inquisitor based. Half the classes in the book, I mean careers, seem like they are all from the IG codex.
7. I'm not sure I get how rank advancement works. Do I have to collect all the stuff for one rank before moving to the next, or just X amount of XP and then I can open that next rank's stuff?

Arctophylax Faren
06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Allow me to assist!

1. Hard. It's easy to do random things, but both GM and player will often miss out of many things in the first few playthroughs. It literally is trial by fire, so don't be put off. It really does get better and better the more you play and learn, despite the initial speedbumps.
2. Yes, they're all fantastic in my personal opinion. A bit heavy on the wallet at first, but any decent GM will have endless hours brainstorming from small scraps of detail.
3. Yes, relatively. Missions can very easily interlock in some ways, but this gets alot easier the more you know about each of the systems. I've had no problems including a Dark Heresy character in Deathwatch sessions.
4. That's because low level Dark Heresy characters will get destroyed by anything so threatening. Unless playing Dark Heresy: Ascension, your character is pretty much a ponce with a lasgun.
5. 40K the tabletop is showing some seriously advanced things. An Enginseer for example, has studied for years and is a formidable foe in his own right. Point 4 above directly relates to this. It is entirely possible to skip to the good stuff by going straight to Ascension, but if you want the most out of it, I highly recommend just playing as regulars for a while until you get a hang of the game before moving up in the world.
6. Yes I suppose so =P
7. As described in the latter, once you have earned enough XP total (spent or saved, it doesn't matter) you automatically count as being the next rank, and can purchase from previous ranks or the rank you are currently on.

Hope that helps! But do feel free to PM me if you need anything else. I'm a veteran GM =P

LAZtheinfamous
07-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the input, Arcto! I'm starting to think that we should have gotten Deathwatch instead. That seems to be more what he wanted, explosive goodness in a Ultramarine shell. My main issue is where are the Sisters Rules? They are mentioned several times in the book, but I can't really find them, unless you take a cleric+power armor+bolter.

Adrassil
07-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the input, Arcto! I'm starting to think that we should have gotten Deathwatch instead. That seems to be more what he wanted, explosive goodness in a Ultramarine shell. My main issue is where are the Sisters Rules? They are mentioned several times in the book, but I can't really find them, unless you take a cleric+power armor+bolter.

For the Sisters rules the The Inquisitor's Handbook (http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?sku=DH04) has the class I recommend getting it, it has a whole heap of cool equipment, a few extra homeworlds (such as the Schola Progneium and noble born) and loads of fluff.

Arctophylax Faren
07-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Aye - the Sisters are massively powerful with their faith. Literally able to stomp unholy allies in mere seconds.
Marines are no less complicated, so without giving the game some thorough playing, you won't realise the potential for power playing an Astartes provides compared to anything you'll face =P Especially in groups!

Adrassil
08-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Not just that Arc, but sisters also have the potential to start off with frigging power armour! Luckily for me, my Inquisitor who my acolytes work for is part of the Seculous Attendous ideal (want's to undermine, and one day, destroy, the ecclesiarchy) So he wouldn't have an over zealous and crazed Sister of Battle in any of his cells, even if he is part of the ordo Hereticus and is masquerading as an Amalathian.