PDA

View Full Version : Not BFG, but looks like it.

LAZtheinfamous
26-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Hey, when I was at the store tonight, saw a game that looked interesting. Firestorm Armada, anyone have any info?

Tallarn
26-08-2011, 01:50 AM
i think heph knows about it

TheGreatGreyMoose
26-08-2011, 02:50 AM
I was talking to Marticus about it the other week. He's been getting into it recently I think. Put me onto spartan games

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/games/firestorm-armada

Carrelio
26-08-2011, 03:50 AM
I'm not entirely keen on it myself...
I've been looking at a lot of space combat systems because I've been trying to make one for myself (I just can't find one I like in its entirity!) so I know a little bit about the ol'Firestorm. Its pretty similar to Gothic. The movements are pretty much the same (move a certain distance, then turn 45 degrees, then move more, then turn more, etc.). Shooting is also pretty similar.
I think I like gothic's combat design just a little better, since Firestorm puts so much emphasis on 6's... though Firestorm may have a little simpler of a system overall...

Marticus
26-08-2011, 05:52 AM
I play it. Love it :-) what us wanna know laz

Honsou
26-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Aye, I know a little about it. Apparently it did use BFG for a fair bit of inspiration, but has come along away. The models are... a matter of taste. They look horrific on the website, but our club stocks them and they're pretty cool close up!

LAZtheinfamous
26-08-2011, 01:58 PM
A couple things I would like to know;

1. Where do I start? There is no starter box.
2. Is it better to buy one of the armada boxes, or buy things individually?
3. Since I would be getting two armadas, since I don't get to the store very often, what two would be good starting armadas? All the models look nice, so I'm not terribly concerned with the looks of the things. And about how much would a decent armada cost, I don't know many games that require nothing besides what's in the boxes.
4. How difficult is this game? The thing is that while I am vaguely interested in the game, my kids got real into a Star Wars cardboard fleet game they got at the LGS, but it is no longer being made and we can't get more (it was in the discount bin). So if this is a real difficult game, it probably won't hold their attention.
5. Is it more large vessel vs. large vessel or are there more fighters? Like a bunch of fighters, fighters are cool.

Marticus
26-08-2011, 02:28 PM
alrighty dokey....
1 there is no starter box true, so start yourself off with the main rulebook. also get the optional card deck if you want its optional to the game but can be fun when used and adds some new elements. then pick a starter fleet, each starter fleet is arranged as one battleship, 3 cruisers and 6 frigates plus a buycket load of tokens, including fighter, bomber, assault ship, interceptor tokens.

2. buy the starter fleet sets, they are a real good start point to a fleet and all fairly well balanced. the starter box gives you all you need to play for a while if your feeling adventurous get a starter set and a carrier.

3. there isnt really a good starteing armada, well more there isnt a bad one, its all down to personal preference they are all pretty wel balanced against each other, just with differances of style go with what you like :) ive got the terran fleet and the relthoza fleet. though i will get more (when ive finished some projects) however... you CAN download printout fleets from spartan games themselves to use to test the rules laz to see if the younglings like it and you do too. all the templates tokesn etc can be downloaded and printed too. the cut out sheets are 2d but too scale including bases so its the same thing for a tester ggame or two.

4. hmm difficulty..... well there are lots of things in the game, but when you get it going its not too bad, turning uses a template so not a problem there, shooting, theres no complicated charts like bfg, again its nice and simple, yeah its not bad, its simple at first glance but has layers of complexity built in, plus your own ship designer feature too so you can invent your own ships and it gives you the points cost! i think they would be fine with it, but still check it yourself first, i think you cant go wrong picking the rulebook at least. and of course you can always scale back the rules as you see fit.

5. it is mainly about ship to ship combat, but there are carriers, fighters, bombers assualt craft, boarding actions etc etc. you can use them no problems, thopugh they are not over powered as they where in bfg they do add to the game, of course you could do your own missions just involving fighters, bombers etc. but generally each ship has a rating of wings it can carry a carier may carry 6 say, but then some other large capial ships can too, the aquan battleship can carry 3 wings. its up to you how you outfit which combo of fighters bombers assualt ships or interceptors you use.

really all i can say is try it :)

Aeth
27-08-2011, 12:05 AM
If your boys are into Star Wars Laz then FFG are bringing out an X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter board game next year :)

I've not played Firestorm yet but it does look cool, the rules sound exactly the same as Dystopian Wars lol.

LAZtheinfamous
27-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah, and they are also from what I understand doing a fleet mini game as well. However, I'm trying to think towards x-mas.

Alexei
02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I almost fell to FSA a couple days ago, it'd have been a problem as I don't know of anyone else playing the game. The models look superb though.