PDA

View Full Version : Mordheim Experimental List - Undead

Inquisitor023
05-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I've done stuff like this a million times before, I know, I know... And I'm not even going to be silly enough to say 'This time's different', because it may not be different. I am fickle as all hell.

Regardless, Mordheim. I made threads about it before, saying I was interested. Then I did what I always do - stopped caring. This time, the circumstances are different though. I know some people who are considering getting into Mordheim and I now have my National Insurance number, which will allow me to work (And pay taxes, huzzah! :sigh:), so getting the money is less of an issue.

With that, I was talking to friends and browsing the free rules and I've narrowed my choices of Warband down to Witch Hunters and Undead. I've made sample 500 Gold Crown lists which are purely experimental. I don't know the difference between weapons or anything, I just sat down and went 'That seems cool.'

And this is my Undead List. Nothing else from me for now. If I'm totally honest, I think I'm going to go with the Witch Hunters. I just like the feel of them better, if I am totally honest. Still... Maybe I'll do two Warbands in the end.

Vampire:
+Axe
+ Bow
+Light Armour
Total: 150

Necromancer:
+Sword
+Short Bow
+Light Armour
Total: 70

Dreg A:
+Sword
+Shield
Total: 35

Dreg B:
+Bow
Total: 30

Dreg C:
+Spear
+Shield
+Helmet
Total: 50

Dire Wolf (x1)
Total: 50

Zombies (x2)
Total: 30

Ghouls (x2)
Total: 80

Overall Total: 495 Gold Crowns

LAZtheinfamous
05-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Ok, some thoughts.

1. Light armor in the beginning is better spent elsewhere, and in truth it doesn't do much against most things. A 6+ save is negated by most str 4 weapons, not to mention those with cutting edge special rule. The necromancer shouldn't get into combat and the Vampire's Toughness 4 will more then protect him in the beginning of the game.
2. The ax on the vampire would be better spent on a sword, which also allows you to parry. The axe's cutting edge is nice, but the vampire's str 4 gives him a cutting edge regardless.
3. The dregs are near useless in the beginning. You might be better off just giving them ranged weapons and that's it. Keep them out of combat, because any chance for you opponent to hit them back lowers the potential of having them in the exploration phase.
4. Dire wolves are great in the beginning. However, they lose effectiveness as the game goes on.
5. More ghouls! They can earn experience and become better warriors as the game goes on. However, they aren't that great at the beginning.
6. Zombies should be filler. They are really cheap and useless. You should pull as much as you can from most of your other models, and plug it into more zombies. The more zombies you have the more people that have to go out of action for the rout check.

The thing with undead is that they all are terrible, except for the vampire. The others are just there to eat up wounds until the vampire hits close combat and goes to town on your opponent. There are very few things in the first few games that can deal with the vampire. Rat Ogres, Trolls, and Possessed are about it, and only if your opponent takes them.

Here's what I would do:

Vampire; two swords
Total: 130

Dregs: bow x3
Total: 90

Necromancer: Mace
Total: 38

Dire Wolves x2
Total 100

Ghouls x1

Zombies: x7
Total: 120

This brings your warband up to a total member number of 15, and what you want to do is replace fallen zombies with more ghouls in the same henchmen group, they will cost more but the experience that they gain more then makes up for their costs! And if you can afford it get some sort of hired sword like a Pitfighter or a Warlock. They will enhance your warband greatly and as a bonus bring your rout check to 4 instead of three. I'll be watching this thread closely! Let me know how you do.

Edit: By the by, if you buy ONE box of ghouls, you are set for the entire life of the warband...

Inquisitor023
05-06-2011, 10:06 PM
They appear to be missing, Laz... Unless your thoughts were, in fact, the words 'Ok, some thoughts.'

LAZtheinfamous
05-06-2011, 10:21 PM
It posted weirdly, so I had to edit them in.

UltraAdam
05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Light armour on necromancer? No.
Replace axe with two handed sword.
Take out one dreg, make them ranged.
I suggest no Dire Wolves, but that's up to you.
Take out one goul, you don't need that many right now.
Add more zombies. They are cheap and don't matter much.

redbeardthefarmer
06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Where in the book are the rules for Orcs and Goblins? Or do I have to go somewhere else to find them?

Just Curious

Inquisitor023
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
O&G are an Unoffical list, last I recall.

Anyway - thank you for the thoughts all. :)

I, however, have decided I would like to do Witch Hunters. Maybe this would do as a second Warband...

Aeth
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
@ redbeard - O&G lists here (http://www.mordheimer.com/index.htm)