PDA

View Full Version : Mordheim Experimental List - Witch Hunters

Inquisitor023
05-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I've done stuff like this a million times before, I know, I know... And I'm not even going to be silly enough to say 'This time's different', because it may not be different. I am fickle as all hell.

Regardless, Mordheim. I made threads about it before, saying I was interested. Then I did what I always do - stopped caring. This time, the circumstances are different though. I know some people who are considering getting into Mordheim and I now have my National Insurance number, which will allow me to work (And pay taxes, huzzah! :sigh:), so getting the money is less of an issue.

With that, I was talking to friends and browsing the free rules and I've narrowed my choices of Warband down to Witch Hunters and Undead. I've made sample 500 Gold Crown lists which are purely experimental. I don't know the difference between weapons or anything, I just sat down and went 'That seems cool.'

Anyway... Here's the Witch Hunter list. I'll have the Vampire list up later.

Captain Kriv:
+Hammer
+Heavy Armour
+Shield
Total: 118

Warrior-Priest:
+Two Handed Weapon
+Light Armour
Total: 75

Witch Hunter A:
+Sword
+Crossbow
+Light Armour
Total: 80

Witch Hunter B:
+Sword
+Light Armour
+Shield
+Helmet
Total: 70

Witch Hunter C:
+Two Handed Weapon
+Heavy Armour
Total: 90

Warhounds (x4)
Total: 60

Overall Total: 493 Crowns

LAZtheinfamous
05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
More thoughts, hopefully I can write them before they post themselves!

1. Armor in the beginning stages takes away vital cash from the most important thing...buying numbers. With only 9 members, this warband will rout very easily! Two dead, and you are making rolls.
2. Helmets are more useful then armor. Take away the armor, and give everyone helmets. The 4+ save on stun can often mean the difference between a free curb stomp dead guy and someone having to roll to kill.
3. Warhounds are great...in the beginning, but they do not gain experience, so don't get better. And hard to find. Have you found a suitable model for them? Cause the warband comes with 1, and it's $40.
4. Instead of shields, take bucklers! Buckler + Sword=reroll failed parry! Can make a bigger difference then a 5+ or 6+ armor save.
5. Keep the two handed weapons out of the hands of heroes, for now. Most things have Toughness 3, and a two handed weapon is over kill. However, flagellents with flails is awesome.

I should do a tactica article...

Hephesto
05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Some of the comments Laz made in your other list seem to apply here as well, generally speaking light armour on your Warrior-priest isn't all that useful (he should be a support character anyway) and depending on the campaign length you intend to play certain choices may be better suited than others.

Warhounds are indeed quite useful when starting out, however they do not gain XP. As a result everything they manage to take down, from which most other minis would learn, are wasted. So they're best used as harrassers or support units for your heavier hitters who can finish off opponents and get those precious XP points.

Finally you have a fine selection of fighters in there, however it may be useful to increase the size of your warband somewhat. Powerful as individual leader/hero type units may be, they will still go down against large numbers (Skaven and Zombies for example). Depending on your overall style you may want to get a few more support fighters in there, which will be particularly handy to help keep your Warrior-Pries alive (who needs to be in the thick of things anyway to be most effective).

Edit - And Laz beats me to it with some great advice!

LAZtheinfamous
05-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Totally Ninja Gnoblar'd it!

Inquisitor023
06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I shall take all of these comments into account and come back with a new draft soon. Ish. I want to read up on the rules first.

Inquisitor023
06-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Sorry for the Double Post...

Captain Kriv:
+Hammer
+Bucklet
+Helmet
Total: 78

Warrior-Priest:
+Sword
+Buckler
+Helmet
Total: 65

Witch Hunter A:
+Crossbow
+Hammer
+Helmet
Total: 63

Witch Hunter B:
+Sword
+Buckler
+Helmet
Total: 50

Witch Hunter C:
+Sword
+Buckler
+Helmet
Total: 50

Zealot A:
+Sword
+Buckler
+Helmet
Total: 45

Zealot B:
+Sword
+Buckler
+Helmet

Zealot C:
+Sword
+Buckler
+Helmet

Warhounds (x3)

Overall Total: 486

As you can see, some changes:

-I replaced the Captain's Heavy Armour and shield with a Buckler and Helmet.

-Gave the Warrior Priest some different gear

-Messed about with the Witch Hunter gear a bit, removing armour

-Removed one Warhound

-Added three Sword/Buckler/Helmet Zealots.

-I thought about Flagellents, but I didn't like the Weapons offered. On top of that, I want to have more of a Military-esque feel to this Warband which I don't feel I get from Flagellents.

As always, thoughts?

Edit: I just learned my main foe will be a Reikland army full of Archers. My immediate response cannot be said here. I'll need to deal with that... Any tips?

japehlio
06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Not to worry too much really, there will be a lot of cover for you to use, and as long as you use that to your advantage...
I would still consider giving the captain a sword to go with the buckler, as that way he gets the parry re-roll.

I would also consider removing the witch hunters hammer. Take two hunters with crossbows, use them as your snipers, leave the other one to shepherd the zealots and give them a bit more clout (i.e: combat)

Inquisitor023
06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I want to keep the Hammer for Fluffy reasons...

japehlio
06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
well keep the hammer then, but the W.H point still stands...

Inquisitor023
06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I thought I mentioned those...

It was a thought. I might just go for it.

Any reason as to why I should drop the Hammer? I mean, it serves as a decent back-up should (Sigmar forbid) my line falls...

LAZtheinfamous
07-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I agree with Japehlio, in the beginning keep at least two of your hero level witch hunters back to work as long range support. In the beginning keeping them from the front line is more important then them getting kills. Out of action heroes mean less dice to role in the exploration phase. The main thing to do with Reiklanders is to hide. I mean it, for every scenario except for Occupy have unlimited turns. If you sit back and hide, he has to be within initiative value to see you. Which with mercenaries is typically 3 inches. So if you sit for 15 turns not moving, not shooting, eventually he'll come for you. Then BAM! You get the charge. However, this is risky! He might catch on and try to out wait you. Other then that remember to stick to cover! Cover then hide, move from cover into cover and hide.

Inquisitor023
07-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Would it be worthwhile to consider giving a Zealot a bow to back up my two Crossbowmen?

LAZtheinfamous
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
No, BS of 2 means that you have to roll 5 or better to hit, before factoring in distance, cover, etc. A WS of 2 hits on a five even against WS 10.