PDA

View Full Version : Finished Minis

Starks333
11-11-2006, 12:25 AM
+++++Ok so this thread will be reserved for minis that are finished(as the title says)++++

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/11/11 01:26

Starks333
11-11-2006, 12:25 AM
alright so im done, the pics show a bit better on this guy but they might be too small *rolls eyes*

i like how the nmm turned out, the gold IS different on the hilt and trim, im unsure which i like more so i kept them, the skin is visable but only really in close because they have dark skin

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Dark%20Elves/HPIM1526.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Dark%20Elves/HPIM1525.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Dark%20Elves/HPIM1524.jpg

Starks

experiment 626
11-11-2006, 03:12 AM
*very* nicely done!

personally i\'m not a fan of NNM, but that\'s mainly because i\'ve studied art history! (sorry, but artistically it is wrong to use a 2D technique on a 3D object...) i\'m a purist what can i say?!!
your NNM is very well done though and the model looks superb in photograph!

any plans to enter it into demon next year?!

cheers!

Starks333
11-11-2006, 03:35 AM
experiment 626 wrote:

*very* nicely done!

personally i\'m not a fan of NNM, but that\'s mainly because i\'ve studied art history! (sorry, but artistically it is wrong to use a 2D technique on a 3D object...) i\'m a purist what can i say?!!
your NNM is very well done though and the model looks superb in photograph!

any plans to enter it into demon next year?!

cheers!

**i like nmm with certain colour schemes, and i use it as an excuse to get interesting blends :) metallics are often too strong/bold for certain colour schemes which leaves nmm the desired choice

as to the photographs...they are awful, if i had better shots they would look much better, im aiming for that when i get the photo business set up or at least more reliably

as to GD, this was a practice mini to get the scheme i plan on using for my dark elf army(all will be done to that level) and my noble and high noble on dragon are goign to be my main entries next yr...and if i have the time a squad of these boys(executioners)

Montreal this weekend is going to really help my painting out as i plan on getting some input and info from Team Montreal(fellow teammates of Team Canada) and Allan Carrasco of Spain

im in a painting rage, i want to paint everything i have!

Starks

Hephesto
11-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Just a superb job, anyone who can get nnm to work has my respect! Also great to see a whf figure on here, especially if it is a dark elf!

I was planning on adding one of my pics, but it doesn\'t seem to work. I\'ll try again later.

experiment 626
11-11-2006, 12:08 PM
lol. which just goes to show how well NNM does in photographs! i don\'t think it is possible to take a bad picture of a well done NNM model!

what i try to do for darker metalics is to dull them with a chaos black wash. (again, i hate inks \'cause they\'re too shiny!)
i\'ll then highlight only the edges and tidy-up any pooling from my wash...

good luck in montreal:)

cheers!

Scolar
11-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Have you done a tutorial on steel NMM yet Starks?

Starks333
11-11-2006, 11:12 PM
MOntreal went well i found out exactly what i needed to know to improve, i should improve tenfold on ym next mini!, so much it should be clearly visible(i hope)

as to the tutorial, which steel are you reffering to? i have 4 different versions on the psyker :S (head, gun, staff front, and staff back...dont ask why...i would of changed the back but it was too much effort)

nmm isnt really something you can show, its just basic light theory...highlight the bright spots bright, shade the shadows dark

as for colours and mixes, i can make a list of all the useful colours ive used? (for my gold as well)

OH and as to inks, you just water them down more than you would paint, and then dont shine anymore, unless you let them pool up :P

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/11/12 00:18

experiment 626
11-11-2006, 11:42 PM
glad to hear montreal went well:)

i might have to make the trip into games day next year (astronomi-con permitting!) so i can see your entries! hmmmm... maybe we\'ll have to try some kind of astro get-to-gether?!
depending on how my culexus turns out, i might just enter him...

i\'m curious though how arrange your lighting when you paint. do you use 3 lights - one to either side and one overhead? i\'ve honestly never tried a source lighting/NNM, mainly because i\'m;
a) too impatient!
b) i have a very goofy 15 pound cat who thinks my chair is her personal throne! (claws hurt when they\'re shoved into your, you know...:pinch: )

i just can\'t seem to get the hang of the newer inks that gw sell... no matter how much i water them down, i still see a bit of shine! the only inks i do use are the old ones from about 10 years ago. (when they colour-coded the old flip lids!)
i also like the darker, more wethered look i get from strait water-down paint!

cheers!

Starks333
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
experiment 626 wrote:

glad to hear montreal went well:)

i\'m curious though how arrange your lighting when you paint. do you use 3 lights - one to either side and one overhead? i\'ve honestly never tried a source lighting/NNM, mainly because i\'m;

i just can\'t seem to get the hang of the newer inks that gw sell... no matter how much i water them down, i still see a bit of shine! the only inks i do use are the old ones from about 10 years ago. (when they colour-coded the old flip lids!)
i also like the darker, more wethered look i get from strait water-down paint!

cheers!

***i have one light, it shines downwards, but its not directly over head, this helps limit the reflective light...if you mean \"fake\" light, then i paint two ways:

1. zenithal light sourcing(which im working on) which is essentially natural lightning(realistic)
2. as if light hit the model dead on all aorund....so this would be more for table top and slightly above(even some display minis if you dont want to do realistic ones)

as to inks, have you ever tried adding dish soap? it helps break surface tension and lets it flow more smoothly...inks will however never dry completly dull like paint does(from what ive seen) it dries just like paint normally would if it werent thinned down a lot

the majority of my games day entires will be dark elves, i want to improve the way i was doing the armour, to get more depth from it, the gold is great just need to be less lazy and smoothen it out more, and then the silver needs a bit of work(i will go brighter for weapons than i did with this one)

some tricky stuffs

Starks