PDA

View Full Version : Scratch built Dread powerfist

Ocelot
28-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Hello all! After my first 1k battle in ages, I have decided to include a Furiso Dreadnought in my Flesh Tearer army.
I alrady have a Dread, but it is Grey Knight and has only one powerfist. That means I have to make my own :unsure:

I thought of using a marble as the bast for the hand bit but it is too big. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make a powerfist?

Gaius Julius
28-10-2006, 12:57 AM
er, can\'t you buy a furioso dread(the blood angels one right?) that has two power fists?

GJ

Starks333
28-10-2006, 01:13 AM
making one look identical would be tricky and would require heavier sculpting material to make the main shape of the fist, as it will need sanding down most likely

it would be much easier to just order an arm, and probably look better unless you are a very experienced sculpter/scratch builder or want to become one :P

Ocelot
28-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Other than buying an arm, any ideas?

edit:I wasn\'t sure what heavier sculpting materials you meant Starks.

Post edited by: Nepeccel, at: 2006/10/28 02:27

Starks333
28-10-2006, 01:22 AM
i...just gave one

Starks

Scolar
28-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Well as we are not all made of money or time why dont you get some thin plastic and warm it up with a hot light or candle and bend it around an armature. then you would only need to make some fingers

P.S Starks he said OTHER than buying ok?

Post edited by: Archon N, at: 2006/10/28 02:24

Starks333
28-10-2006, 01:28 AM
that will be trickier than actually sculpting one as the plastic will probably warpand getting it to the right shape will be overly difficult as well

to buy the arm is only 3 pounds or so from the online store, tiny price compared to the amount of time it would take to make an arm from scratch

but if you insist on the arm your best bet would be like i mentioned heavier scullpting stuff, miliput, brown stuff maybe even super sculpey?

oh and if anyone actually read my earlier post, the first part, then you would know i didnt just suggest buying it

ugh so much editing...well i explained what heavier stuf fi meant in this one for ya, its your best bet simply because it holds its shape very well while still being mouldable, you can do details over top of it once its dried with Greenstuff, and you can pin it together to the shoulder i would double pin or use thick pins because this stuff can get kinda heavy, if you have a plastic dreadnought you might want to add weight to the other side to balance it, look around for handy bitz to use in cohesion with the sculpting putties if you can

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/10/28 02:32

Ocelot
28-10-2006, 01:32 AM
I did read it thank you very much. :huh:

Thanks for the advice guys!

DavicusPrime
28-10-2006, 01:59 AM
You could go the non-traditional way and build a DCCW that isn\'t exactly the same as the regular P-Fist arm. You could scratchbuild an arm holding a Dread scale Thunder Hammer or mace or similar weapon.

Other ideas I had: Large buzzsaw, drill, wrecking ball...

You get the idea.

I\'m a bit spoiled with this sort of stuff though... with Orks I don\'t have to make it look pretty.

-DavicusPrime

Ocelot
28-10-2006, 02:06 AM
A fellow Ork player :) I am still getting used to the change from Ork to Space Marine. Suddenly everything can\'t be glued together with corregated iron, it has to be adamantium pah! :P
God i love Orks...

Anyway! Thanks for those ideas Davicus, but do you think it would look wierd? One powerfist and one hammer?

Starks333
28-10-2006, 02:11 AM
it would probably look as weird as a power fist and an assault cannon...so basicly if done right it would look fine

the question is always however, how do you attach a weapon to a dreadnought arm to make it look right? i have no idea

Starks

Ocelot
28-10-2006, 02:12 AM
A miniture universal joint?

DavicusPrime
28-10-2006, 03:11 AM
That\'s exactly what popped into my mind. !

Ork Brains. They think alike... and that makes everyone nervous for some reason.

-DavicusPrime

BTW: I\'m transitioning from Marines to Orks. I try to give both equal time but The Orks seem to get me more excited to play.

I\'ve finally crossed the 50% mark on collecting a full company of marines! Too bad it\'s only 25% painted. :(

Scolar
28-10-2006, 03:15 AM
A miniature joint? coming from an ork player who\'s boyz chopped up a landraider to add corregated IRON? (check gallery people who live under rocks)

Perhaps as they are Flesh Tearers add a huge sorta claw?

Ocelot
28-10-2006, 03:16 AM
It needs a buzzsaw! I think Starks said that earlier but it went straight over my dear head :laugh:

That would fit the chapter nicely and match the badge.

Starks333
28-10-2006, 03:23 AM
nope that was davicus :P

DavicusPrime
28-10-2006, 04:02 AM
I\'ve seen a dread conversion that used an actual dremel buzzsaw bit. They are about an inch across... but they are a bit sharp to put on a model that you plan on handling.

-DavicusPrime

Iron father
28-10-2006, 05:52 AM
i did this the other day acctuly, it didnt turn out right htough i got the pose wrong, only thing is, is i used a old left hand fist fo the fist and sculpted the rest