PDA

View Full Version : Malifaux?

Eternus
13-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Anyone here play Malifaux? Some of the guys at my local club have shelved Fantasy and 40K for a while after getting off to a very shakey start with 8th Edition Fantasy, some real gripes there, and instead they've started playing Malifaux - the Heretics! - and I wanted to know whether anyone here thinks it worth a go?

Cheers guys.

Aeth
13-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I've been wanting to get into this game for a while. The whole card mechanic seems really interesting and they have some stunning models. I think its definatly worth a go mate, expecially as you can play the game with around 25-30 worth of figures.

LAZtheinfamous
13-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, but pick up the rule book or read it carefully first. Much like 40K there are certain play styles associated with the different groups, so they work very differently. And while the little box sets are cheap, invariably you would HAVE to pick up at least an extra blister or two to make a viable group.

Eternus
14-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Well apparently the rules are gonna be made available to download for free at the start of next month, so I might wait and read them before I go along for a look-see. The baby is due at the start of May, so it's gonna be a while before I get some more gaming time in anyway, may as well read up in the meantime. So how does it play? Do people like it, and how does it shape up vs GW games? I'm guessing the best comparison that I can make is that it's somewhere between Necromunda and Inquisitor?

Aeth
14-03-2011, 10:42 PM
If you have some spare time mate, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTtHRBol8OA

Skringly
15-03-2011, 12:18 AM
I have a faint memory of Nomad saying he did this? Can't say I know anything about it myself.

LAZtheinfamous
15-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Eh. More like an all independent characters 500 point 40K mission. Even the minor models have some really decent powers. The card mechanic works wonders though, for a couple reasons; 1. It includes trumps and suits, and 2. If you pull bad cards early, later in the game it balances out...it has to.

Nomad
15-03-2011, 03:11 AM
I love this game. Although I have only played a couple of actual games, I have 3 warbands and have played out scenarios against myself to learn how they work best. What really draws me to it are 1/ the beautifully sculpted models and 2/ the card mechanics which Laz mentions, it really is a lot better than relying on a dice roll. You can change your values by cheating fate, adding a card to up your attack/magic etc. Be careful though, that 19 you dropped to save one characteer could cost dearly later in the turn...

Birdie
15-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeh, I play it, currently running a Bodysnatcher crew, the card mechanics are great and really lead to a balanced game, models are fabulous, and each factions had it's own very distinctive play style.

WarMachine
24-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I really like the flavor of Malifaux. And each figure is so beautiful you're always thinking the pieces have been created using Rapid Prototyping (http://www.realizeinc.com/) or something. The card mechanic is really cool, but I just like the size of the game. Sure, 40K armies are awesome, but the little crews are good for a newer gamer, I think.

Consadine
05-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I've picked up the Ramos the Sorceror character from the Arcanists to use for the Inquisitor competition. However, there are local Malifaux players at my store, and it looks like an interesting game to get into. A few inquiries:

-Given the GW armies I play (Dark Angels, dabble with Eldar and High Elves in Fantasy), which faction do you think I'd like the feel of best?
-If I go with Arcanists, what's the best thing to get? The box set with the spiders n stuff is great, but I've already got Ramos...

Orkgasm
26-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I hope this isn't too old to rez...but then, I do play Nicodem... ;)
Have any of you good folks picked up the new "Twisting Fates" book? I'm really enjoying it! The fluff is great, beautiful art, new minions, and the introduction of the "Avatar" mechanic (which I think is brilliant)...a really solid expansion.
I just hope Wyrd's sculpting department can keep pace with the books...

Krabat
29-09-2011, 07:14 PM
He i stumbled over Malifaux two weeks ago in another forum and in near future i will start a all Collodicrew. Don`t be afraid, when time comes there will be pics in my WIP-Thread.

Nomad
29-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Those interested in a challenge might look at Wyrd's Rotten Harvest halloween contest. (http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25165)

Combat Engineer
26-02-2012, 03:14 AM
I have to commit some threadomancy. My friends and i have recently bought crews for Malifaux. We are really interested in playing, so we also bought some of the Terraclips terrain (Mentioned in another post.). I took it out of the box tonight to see how it looks, and boy, was I overwhelmned. Anyone have any idea how to go about assembling it based off the box cover? Or have pre-constructed layouts?

Mat

Consadine
27-02-2012, 02:01 AM
You can't make what's on the front of the boxes with just one box. And if you want to be able to rearrange the pieces, don't use all of your clips. Those are the two facts/tips that I picked up while listening to the Gamer's Lounge podcast.