PDA

View Full Version : You cannot pass! (Balrog vs Gandalf)

Asrian
25-01-2011, 08:20 AM
This was an Xmas gift to my cousin a couple years ago. Looking back on it I wish I had done more lighting effects on the ground work around the Balrog and added a few columns and some of the other fellowship members behind Gandalf to fill in the blank spaces behind the two figures, but too late now unfortunately.

Anyway, enjoy and any advise on future painting/projects from what you see here is always appreciate no matter if they are positive or negative to the work presented.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v702/asrian/Balrog/

Thanks,

Drew

Captain Castus
25-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Nice...

Isn't it "You shall not pass!" ;)

CC

Asrian
25-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I have this little argument with a lot of people. *Chuckles* No, it's "cannot". I even went back and re-read the passage from the book (my 1950's copy that was my mothers) just to make sure because I kept thinking "shall not" due to the movies having come out a few years prior.

LutherMax
26-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Beautiful work. Your cousin must be delighted!
And well done for your Tolkien accuracy. Castus, you should be ashamed :laugh:

Captain Castus
26-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Ahh... But as the models/game are a Movie franchise not a Tolkien franchise... Technically the title should come from the film not the book! :p

CC

Honsou
26-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Ahh... But as the models/game are a Movie franchise not a Tolkien franchise... Technically the title should come from the film not the book! :p

CC

Actually, no they're not. The game and models are the Lord of the Rings franchise. Games Workshop bought the rites to produce a game and models for more than just the movies. ;)

The Vulture
26-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Actually, no they're not. The game and models are the Lord of the Rings franchise. Games Workshop bought the rites to produce a game and models for more than just the movies. ;)

He is right about that and since the Knights of Dol Amroth are in the model range and not in the movies I say there is a far amount of book influence in GW.

Captain Castus
26-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Well... It was worth a try! :grin:

CC

LutherMax
26-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Well... It was worth a try! :grin:

CC

I'll come clean, I had to check my beloved fabric-bound copy for confirmation. It's Sir Ian McKellen's rendition that rings through my ears too :)
He actually says both in the film, "cannot" and "shall not" – but in the book it is just "cannot".

As for licensing, Games Workshop mention both Middle-earth Enterprises and New Line Cinema, so I think there is crossover with the rights. I know Tolkien sold the original film rights for a song because he believed it was impossible to do a theatrical production – in his time, probably true. It took a while for Jackson to get his hands on them however, not sure the cost...