PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons

Inquisitor023
26-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Yep, a while back I took that plunge.

Not playing actual Table-Top, but Narrative since... Ya know... I'm better at that : D

Regardless, I have two characters, Kriv and Sorrow.

Kriv is a Dragonborn Paladin of Kord and a new favourite character o' mine. He just unnerves everyone, it's fun.

Sorrow is a Tielfing Rogue. Grew up on the streets, living as a pickpocket, and joined the party. Flirts a lot with Kriv.

The rest of the party is Durgrim, a Dwarf fighter (RP'd by Ossai, actually), Wade, a Human Warlock with the Dark Pact (RP'd by Sfot, a newer member) and Eddard, a Human I-Have-Nothing-As-Of-Yet-And-Does-The-Party's-Head-In (RP'd by Dyp).

There's also Jon, our sort of 'Father' figure. He's a Human Cleric of Pelor.

Yeah, I'm feeling left out.

That said, I'm having a lot of fun RP'ing as the pair. Kriv is emotional but detatched and, if he can justify it, he is not above killing.

He also has a thing for Guards... Since... He's literally attacked and DESTROYED two squads (The first were trying to arrest him and the second were harrassing kids).

He also got an (IMO) Epic 'Shut Up Hannibal'. A Pirate insulted his family - and Race - and he proceeds to strangle him (Digging his talons into the man's throat), spit Acid into his face (I chose Acid for Dragon Breath : D), slam him full force in a crate of rocks and kick it out to sea.

Hilariously, before I posted EVERY character backed up.

And Sorrow... Sorrow's an enigma. Even I can't get into her head, which is odd considering I sorta fragment personality for characters. I know she likes Kriv and is sort of self-conscious. Also, Jon calls her Princess and this makes her Happy.

Then again, if she knew her past (Mother was a Princess who decided to try something exotic, slept with a Tielfing thinking she would have a human child, discovered the child was a Tiefling, panicked and abandoned the child so Sorrow raised hereself in the slums) she'd be pretty bitter...

Anyway, I rambled. Anyone else interested in DnD? Tell me about your characters!

Also, For Teh Lulz, some artwork:

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/gingusdan/DragonbornSoldierorGuard.jpg

A Guard for the Town Kriv's Clan (Peaceblade) has established. Just picture it with more Orange and Black (Town Colours).

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/gingusdan/TieflingLeather.jpg

Sorrow's armour... Just needs personalization.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/gingusdan/DragonbornPlate.jpg

Kriv's armour. No helmet, more battered and likely with more Kord icongraphy.

Also, any questions, feel free to ask!

plan9au
29-10-2010, 04:20 AM
haven't played D&D for some time, my group does mean to pick up a new adventure and ill be using the same character again

Soltan (the manslayer) Human Fighter. used spiked chains as his weapon of choice, or a spiked gauntlet in Close combat. Former Pit fighter turned adventurer, years of fighting in the pit left him scarred and deformed, coupled with a huge tattoo of Nueral (god of death) on his back kinda stuck out.

I also did have a barbarian class..Again human, love that extra feat at first level, Lars Solomson - based him on a viking type, ended the last adventure in a rather amusing fued with the parties warlock.

Adrassil
30-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Ahh D&D it is what one may say the true gateway roleplaying game really ever since moved onto greener pastures such as Dark Heresy, Shadowrun and Call of Cthulu (is should know how to spell it damn it!)

It's great to hear Gin that in this game that there is some actual role playing unlike allot of D&D (especially 4th edition) which seems to be kind of like go from one room to another and kill things again and again.
But it all depends on the GM in the end.

Well I've got my elf fighter Gall Ballack named after the idiot villain in Dan Abnett's Ravenor Rogue and before we stopped playing I rolled up a shape changer named Ralianth who had transformed so often that he/she had forgotten what they initially looked like or their true gender which would have been interesting to roleplay and a little weird now I think on it...

Nomad
30-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I've played for about 30 years, since it was D&D not AD&D...

I'm not sure I like the new rule set as it doesn't seem to allow as much characteisation as the previous rules did.

Skringly
30-10-2010, 04:31 PM
The closest I got to D&D was the Neverwinter knight games. Very good fun, enjoyed them alot. Might have to go and dig them out again.

Inquisitor023
30-10-2010, 05:19 PM
as it doesn't seem to allow as much characteisation as the previous rules did.

Could you elaborate please, Nomad? I love making characters, so having different books to 'comandeer' for stuff would be helpful.

Nomad
30-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Previous editions relied less on hard and fast rules and more on character developement. It is hard to explain but it sseems this rule set has gone for the quick&easy approach to get the game moving a bit faster.

Adrassil
31-10-2010, 09:02 AM
This guy's knows tons about the D&D edition differences watch this.

Spoony Experiment. (http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/10/29/vlog-10-29-10-dd-essentials-gamma-world/#disqus_thread)

His explanation may help you Gin

waylander2
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a good character gingusdan. I'm similar to Nomad i've been GMing for 25 years, the majority of our games have been Merp or Rolemaster. We're starting Harp soon, which is basically Merp with bits stolen from 3rd ed D&D.
D&D is okay, but i find the combat to be a battle of attrition. I've run a birthright campaign in 3rd ed D&D (with fields of blood as well) but not got any 4th edition D&D books.

Yarrick79
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I am surprised to see a post on D&D on a Warhammer forum but this game is awesome and has a very long history. I've been playing since 1996 and to this day I still play. 2nd edition still though, I haven't moved on. Just can't get into 3rd/4th edition. I took a few years off but I got my fiancee (now wife) into it a few months ago and she loves it, so we play together with a bunch of friends. I can go on and on about this game but I just want to say for those of you that haven't tried it (no matter what edition) you should! It's really fun and it's nice to get together with people and socialize. Don't get me wrong Warhammer is fun but it's normally 1 on 1, I do love both of these games though!

akiel"the conqueror"smith
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
uh just out of curiousity,(i have indeed played D&D before,albeit only once but interested in continuing to play) has anyones group broken down into pVp fighting at all? I mean hte main causes would obviously be over alignment(For the last time dath, you cannot kill off the innocent town just to find the amulet) or other rudimentry things.( He looked at me funny.:silly:)

SO any pVp action? If you were the DM whatd you do? Did you allow it or did quash the fighting before their characters fell down upon their own blades? Be as descriptive as possible.(After all you ARE the DM.:grin:)

Inquisitor023
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I really would love to play DnD face-to-face for people, even once. I really am a Narrative fan, but I like to expand my horzions (Sorta why I made Sorrow, rather than say, a Fighter or whatever). And, although I do my RP with a bunch of good friends over RP, I'd love to do it 'face-to-face' so when someone pulls off that million-to-one roll, or fluffs up against the smallest hurdle, we can share a lot better.

Plus, less chance to 'God-Mod' in a sense. In Narrative, I can say that I swung and I hit and I dented the guys armour. In Dice, I can't do that. I might miss, or I might not even hurt the guy if I hit. Lot better element of chance.

But, as to Akiel's question: If my players started fighting, I would allow it. It makes for good character development. I wouldn't let them kill each other though (Unless the owning player doesn't mind - his/her choice, after all). That defeats the point.

Now I think about it, I don't know. I don't want blades and stuff, but fisty-cuffs is all right. I guess if they can justify it and avoid tearing the throats of one another, I don't care. *shrug*

waylander2
02-11-2010, 07:53 AM
has anyones group broken down into pVp fighting at all?
The closest we've come to this is we've had one group of 6 split into two groups of 3 with 2 GM's. Both groups were in seperate rooms, the GM's met in the middle every 30mins to compare notes. The actions of each group determined the outcome/difficulty of the overall mission.

Adrassil
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes once I had a PVP it was a game of cthulhu Tech my character was going insane (as every character seems to do in a cthulhu game of any kind)

One of the allies in the party actually was an android who had infiltrated our party and my character suspected it so in his insanity shot the android in the back with a high calibur fully automatic machine gun...ahhh good times

plan9au
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
We had a female NPC who was actually one of the villians of the peice, our warlock found out about her and attempted to tell the party, we confronted them both and with a sense motive roll failed didn't belive him, so we had to (chose to0 roleplay that we thought he was liar and untrustworthy (and due to the action fo the NPC) a drunk. Good times and great roleplaying was had, as the NPC tried on many occasions to silence the warlock and each time she failed made it look like the warlock was trying to do something bad (kill her/steal the quest item/warn the bad guys) that almost came to blows on many occasions...couple this with an Elf wizard who hated humans and refused to speak common (although he could)....Good dysfunctional party made for the best D&D questing ive ever played.

Inquisitor023
02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
The closest we've come to this is we've had one group of 6 split into two groups of 3 with 2 GM's. Both groups were in seperate rooms, the GM's met in the middle every 30mins to compare notes. The actions of each group determined the outcome/difficulty of the overall mission.

How did that fare?

@Ad: I heard about Cthullhu. Good system?

@Plan: Okay, that frankly sounds AWESOME. Sounds like something that would happen between Wade/Sorrow.

waylander2
03-11-2010, 08:03 AM
How did that fare?

@Ad: I heard about Cthullhu. Good system?

It went well. It was something i did a long time ago. The two parties almost attacked each other, they were both on ships with aggressive captains. Both parties were signaling to each other with mirrors to confirm it was them.
The best thing about it was working with another GM. It was so good to bounce ideas off someone else, we worked out the whole campaign in a day. Much quicker than i would have done on my own.

I've had two goes at Cthulhu as a player. It's okay, but i think you need a good GM to make the game work. It's a popular game. I used to buy rp magazines and Cthulhu was always in the top5 roleplay games of all time. Often in the number one spot.

The basic game is set in our world, in victorian times in england. (i had a sherlock homes type PC for one game) It focuses more on the character traits that the PC's develop as they unravel more of the story. It's a horror rp game. Combat is secondary in the game. You become more insane the more you know about the "real" world. In one game we had a professor character in the party that was reading about the horrible truths of the world in a book, it drove him over the edge and he died. Our characters had to find excuses to disbelieve what they'd seen .... "maybe that wasn't a demon i just saw, it must have been the wind blowing a curtain" Your character tries to block out all the strange things that's happened to him/her.

The characters are different to most roleplay games, you're more likely to be a scholar, an artist, professor or a detective. I find that to be a refreshing change from the typical hero in most rp games. The system itself is good, but my main problem was the victorian setting. I prefer a dark ages or early medieval setting personally, but there's probably some new books out for Cthulhu that have different settings.

EDIT..... just found this. Turns out there are now other settings.
modern conspiracy (Cthulhu Now). 1000 AD (Cthulhu: Dark Ages), 23rd Century (Cthulhu Rising) and Roman times (Cthulhu Invictus).
I think the modern day setting would be good with Cthulhu