PDA

View Full Version : Another BFG Question: Fighter Attack Craft

TempestBlade
07-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Reading through the BFG rules, I cannot understand why you would ever send out fighters in a wave? There is no advantage in braving the turret fire of a ship (since fighters can't hurt ships) and it would mean once your fighters engaged a target, you would lose all of them.

Sent out individually they have the potential to engage four different target (from a typical 4 bay carrier).

Is there ANY reason to put fighters together in one big wave? I can understand including them in a way with bombers so that the fighters can protect them from other fighters or the turret fire of ships, but I cannot think why you would have a fighter attack wave.

Skringly
07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
To take on a massive wave of bombers, assault boats and torps.

TempestBlade
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I was under the impression that a single squadron of Fighters simply wiped out enemy bombers/assault craft/torpedoes?

E.g. A single squadron of Fighters moves into contact with a wave of 4 Bombers - both sets of attack craft are removed.

Its not one-for-one is it?

Skringly
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hehe, trying to do this from memory, but I believe that's how it works, then again, I could very well be wrong.

VolatilSpam
16-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Because a spread of fighters is more likely to impact the projectiles you want to remove. A single fighter is a precision weapon. A wave of fighters is a big fat wall of "you can not stop this."
Also, a wave of fighters can help protect a follow-up wave of bombers or torps from your side.

Skringly
16-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Basic logic means nothing in terms of what the rules allow you to do sadly.

VolatilSpam
16-09-2010, 05:21 PM
But even on the tabletop, a spread of fighter tokens covers a larger area than a single fighter token. Just like a salvo of torpedos is more likely to hit than a single torpedo.

Honsou
22-09-2010, 12:45 PM
It is indeed one for one. One fighter removes one bomber. If you've got the capacity to take large numbers of those types of craft, you're better off with bombers to be honest- with a maxed out wave of bombers you can take out capital ships in one turn! Done it many a time... each bomber generates D6, subtracting the number of opposing turrets from the total sum of attacks. It gets very nasty, very quickly.

Fighters are pretty good in this instance though: if there are fighters in a bomber squadron, turrets aren't given a choice as to who to target. If you have fighters equal to their turret numbers, it guarantees the safety of your bombers... I'd rather just fly a bigger stack of bombers in though. You might lose some, but god you'll give them something to think about!

Eternus
20-11-2010, 10:11 AM
That's the conclusion I've come to - the only use of fighters is to intercept enemy bombers, torps and assault boats - mixing them in a wave with bombers is useless because they do nothing to protect the bombers any better than the bombers can defend themselves. The only benefit fighter have is their greater speed which is good for intercepting stuff, and their CAP rules allowing them to defend a vessel against enemy ordnance.

Apparently the idea for mixed waves was from the first set of rules before there were actual models for fighters and bombers, and we just used tokens instead in a stack rather than side by side - the result was the enemy could only judge what was in the wave from the marker on the top of the stack, therefore you could hide bombers in a wave that the enemy didn't know about.

That's what I read somewhere anyway. Also, have you seen the extra rules that allow fighters in a wave attacking a capital ship to add +1 to the attacking dice?

Nomad
20-11-2010, 10:23 AM
What are our one man snub fighters going to do against a station of that size?

Use the force Luke!

Nomad
20-11-2010, 10:24 AM
What are our one man snub fighters going to do against a station of that size?

Use the force Luke!