PDA

View Full Version : Painting Orks

DarthXander
01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Right I have the bits and bobs for my fledgling ork army but for painting I could do with some advice.

I want dark skinned orks because they are from dark and dirty world and all that jazz so I was thinking:

Undercoat - chaos black
Skin 1st coat - dark angels green
Skin 2nd coat - drybrush of goblin green
Ink - watered down black ink (makes them look darker)

Also any ideas as to base colours/flock?

Big D
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey man

I\'v got myself a little ork warband of my own and painted in a way you may find usefull?

I think drybrushing is one of the best ways to get an ork army together fast and looking pro painted!

I use black under and snot green for the drybrushing and then gobling green for the higligts. the best thing about the black is that you can also dry brush the rifels chainmail and just layer the paint on the clothes like brown trousers or summin?

Hope this helps...... if you need any more to this just ask and I will be happy to help.

Laterz B)

DarthXander
01-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah thanks for that, thing is I want my orks kinda darker in colour not the happy green fellows that \'Eavy Metal does!

Starks333
02-10-2006, 05:33 AM
dont wash with black it wont turn out how you want

use the green ink, or mix in a brown for a darker dirtier looking green

if you want a nice dark green a blue with help

just mix them in with the dark angels, then highlight with a brighter shade of green then wash green ink(watered down a bunch)

and if you want highlight again and wash again

Starks

Big D
02-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah man what Starks said!

About the ink as to get the shade you want you only have to fiddle with the right amount of water you add to it to get the right colour your looking for.

LaterzB)

Starks333
02-10-2006, 11:14 PM
water wont really brighten a colour, it will slightly but the colour will fade about a day or so later and it wont look as bright

theres a difference between shading and blending/highlighting, blending/highlighting is hitting the light to dark scale

while shading is adding in depth, and colour shading isnt a light to dark thing(thats black and whites) colour shading involves using reds/greens/yellows/browns/blues/purples/ etc mixed in to add realistic shading(just look at wall paintings)

none the less dont think just because theres mixing and washes that it will take a long time, the only thing that takes long is doing many layers, table top quality is perfectly fine with few layers and a more bold style of blending

Starks

Ocelot
02-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Go for DA base with Snot green highlights. Should look pretty nifty and dark.